PDA

View Full Version : dan rooney on bill cowher

tony hipchest
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
adam schefter was just talking about bill parcells returning to the sidelines next year and said how he and cowher could potentially be out there.

he randomly dropped the little nugget that dan rooney said he expected cowher to return "sooner than later".

this tells me that cowher was offered the opportunity to "resign" with dignity, rather than being fired. the fact that russ or ken werent given the job, and bens recent remarks suggesting that the coaching held him back, tells me that this really is tomlins team, and the steelers philosophy of "3 yds and a cloud of dust" may officially be dead.

i asked a while back if the rooneys were married to a certain image or philosophy. (at the time i thought a "divorce" wasnt necessary). it now appears that winning is the only thing that matters. if that means putting all the pressure on a qb and finding out if hes worth the big bucks, thats the direction we are gonna go in.

if dan knows cowher didnt choose to "walk away", and since dallas already has their new head coach, it seems that the giants, cleveland, and washington will be the front runners for his services.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-25-2007, 07:49 PM
adam schefter was just talking about bill parcells returning to the sidelines next year and said how he and cowher could potentially be out there.

he randomly dropped the little nugget that dan rooney said he expected cowher to return "sooner than later".

this tells me that cowher was offered the opportunity to "resign" with dignity, rather than being fired. the fact that russ or ken werent given the job, and bens recent remarks suggesting that the coaching held him back, tells me that this really is tomlins team, and the steelers philosophy of "3 yds and a cloud of dust" may officially be dead.

i asked a while back if the rooneys were married to a certain image or philosophy. (at the time i thought a "divorce" wasnt necessary). it now appears that winning is the only thing that matters. if that means putting all the pressure on a qb and finding out if hes worth the big bucks, thats the direction we are gonna go in.

if dan knows cowher didnt choose to "walk away", and since dallas already has their new head coach, it seems that the giants, cleveland, and washington will be the front runners for his services.

I so agree with you about Ben and putting the pressure on him. You draft a QB in the first round for a reason....So its time to find out if Ben is indeed one of the best QBs in the NFL and see he is worth of signing that big deal....Its all up to Ben now and he has no more excuses. I think he will be fine and develop into one of the best. I'm calling 30 passing TD's this year.lol

Atlanta Dan
05-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I think Cowher will be back in 2009 because some team that he regards as a good fit will meet his price. The Rooneys were not going to meet that price since they pay top $ for future and not past performance (ask Faneca how that works) and, having seen how 2006 turned out with Cowher looking for the next stage of his career/life, may not have fired Cowher but were glad to see him go.

Had the Steelers not won the SB, which put Cowher in the position of wanting to try to repeat and the Rooneys being over a barrel in terms of conducting a sifting search for a new coach, I think he would have followed through on plans to take a break after 2005 - his wife clearly thought that was the deal.

10 playoff appearances, 6 AFC championship and 2 SB appearances (w/1 SB) is a great record, but if you take out the first 6 years it is a still impressive but not overwhelming record that had run its course. Both sides had the sense to realize the relationship was over.

As for why 2009 rather then 2008, I do believe Cowher is seeking to grab some family life while it is still there for him and he wants to spend some time with his last daughter at home; she graduates in 2009 and at that point Cowher will close that chapter in his life - bailing after 1 year at home might cause some real issues on the home front.

I have always thought Cowher was a natural for the inevitable LA franchise, but since that is still on hold I believe the 2 owners who will meet his price and have marquee franchises Cowher deems worthy of his talents are Jerry Jones (I think Phillips is a stop gap hire) and Danny Snyder. Gibbs going after 2007 is the one wild card that could blow up my 2009 scenario.

HometownGal
05-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't see it that way at all, Tony, but to each his/her own! :cheers: Though many people believe that the team's performance (and note I said TEAM) last season was due directly to Cowher's performance as a coach (and please keep in mind that all of the stories floating around about Cowher's "lack of interest and motivation" were simply rumors), Cowher was still, for all intents and purposes, a winner during his 15 tenure as the Steelers HC. I don't see the Rooneys wanting to fire a coach who brought them a 161-99-1 overall record, 8 division and 2 AFC Championship crowns and a Lombardi. I do believe Cowher had some issues with Art III which could have led to Cowher making a faster decision to get out of dodge, but I refuse to believe the Rooneys would look a gift horse in the mouth.

Agreed, Dan, about Ben.

fansince'76
05-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Cowher may wind up with the Panthers? John Fox is on a warm seat that is only going to get hotter if Carolina finishes in the 7-9/8-8 neighborhood again.

HometownGal
05-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Cowher may wind up with the Panthers? John Fox is on a warm seat that is only going to get hotter if Carolina finishes in the 7-9/8-8 neighborhood again.

Nope - you're not. I have stated several times that if Cowher goes anywhere, it will be to the Panthers. It's a perfect fit for him at this stage in his life. He gets his bread buttered on both sides. :thumbsup:

At least I wouldn't have to watch John Fox chawing on that gum like a cow chewing its cud. Blech.

Atlanta Dan
05-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Geographically it makes great sense, but Cowher's ego requires him to be the highest paid coach in the game when he comes back. I do not know if Carolina will lay out that kind of $$; Snyder and Jerry Jones (with a new 100,000 seat Taj Mahal to fill) will.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I tink it was Cowher's choice,but the Rooney's didn't try to stop him.

I can see Cowher in Dallas,Cleveland,or San Diego for the 2008 or 2009 season.

Dallas: Jerry Jones will meet his asking price,and get Cowher the players he wants.I also think thier current HC is a stop gap,but will probally last beyond this season.

Cleveland: This is where he played and began his coaching career.Also,if the Rooney's did kind of force his hand,he'd love to be the coach to bring the Browns back.He knows the fierce rivalry's past,and he knows how the fans feel about each other.It would be the way to stick it to the Rooneys if they did force his hand.Romeo is on the hot seat,but I think with the draft they just had he might be given one more year to see if he can get it done with Quinn and Thomas.

San Diego: This team is set up for success.I don't think even Norv Turner can screw this team up enough to not make the playoffs.However,Turner is a stop-gap to the next HC.

The one thing all these teams have in common is that they run the 3-4 defensive scheme that Cowher has run in Pittsburgh.

tony hipchest
05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I think Cowher will be back in 2009 because some team that he regards as a good fit will meet his price. The Rooneys were not going to meet that price since they pay top $ for future and not past performance (ask Faneca how that works) and, having seen how 2006 turned out with Cowher looking for the next stage of his career/life, may not have fired Cowher but were glad to see him go.

Had the Steelers not won the SB, which put Cowher in the position of wanting to try to repeat and the Rooneys being over a barrel in terms of conducting a sifting search for a new coach, I think he would have followed through on plans to take a break after 2005 - his wife clearly thought that was the deal.

10 playoff appearances, 6 AFC championship and 2 SB appearances (w/1 SB) is a great record, but if you take out the first 6 years it is a still impressive but not overwhelming record that had run its course. Both sides had the sense to realize the relationship was over.

As for why 2009 rather then 2008, I do believe Cowher is seeking to grab some family life while it is still there for him and he wants to spend some time with his last daughter at home; she graduates in 2009 and at that point Cowher will close that chapter in his life - bailing after 1 year at home might cause some real issues on the home front.

I have always thought Cowher was a natural for the inevitable LA franchise, but since that is still on hold I believe the 2 owners who will meet his price and have marquee franchises Cowher deems worthy of his talents are Jerry Jones (I think Phillips is a stop gap hire) and Danny Snyder. Gibbs going after 2007 is the one wild card that could blow up my 2009 scenario.i always thought there was no way the steelers would actually fire cowher. but im really starting to think he was nudged out the door. not to say his family time was more of a negotiating ploy rather than honest ambitions or anything, because
i think he is gonna make the most of his life at home and new tv job. but i stiil think rooney knows cowher didnt just walk away, and there is an itch that needs to be scratched.

i do think the 09 target is the most likely time for his return, but i think dan snyder and his wife (cowhers, not snyders) will have as much to do with when he returns as he does. and i think cowher has as much to do with whether joe gibbs "resigns" next season. its definitely gonna be interresting.

i cant believe im gonna say this, but if the rooneys were willing to let cowher play out his contract, it may have been a blessing in disguise that he walked this year, rather than next. we were able to land tomlin rather than the giants or some other team and i have all the confidence that it will be a good hire rather than luck if he is more than a 3 year coach (the nfl average).

tony hipchest
05-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Cowher may wind up with the Panthers? John Fox is on a warm seat that is only going to get hotter if Carolina finishes in the 7-9/8-8 neighborhood again.ive always liked richardson as an owner and always got the feeling he models his franchise after the steelers. everything ive read, leads me to believe him and the rooneys are in good relations and always see eye to eye when it comes down to league votes.

i think fox has a long leash in carolina, much like the leash cowher was given in pittsburgh. i think the owner realizes there shortcomings were more of a matter of players rather than coaching. they have had some awful luck with keeping their players healthy in the past few years. i doubt that fox gets the ax because of that.

however, even bens accident cant be used as an excuse for an 8-8 season after a sb, especially considering how well charlie batch filled in.

TackleMeBen
05-25-2007, 09:31 PM
however, even bens accident cant be used as an excuse for an 8-8 season after a sb, especially considering how well charlie batch filled in.

maybe we should have just gave ben the year off and let charlie play, maybe then we could have been in the playoffs. :cheer:

tony hipchest
05-25-2007, 09:43 PM
maybe we should have just gave ben the year off and let charlie play, maybe then we could have been in the playoffs. :cheer:well thats a good point on the situation cowher was faced with. im sure half of himself probably theought been needed to take a long break and recover. the other half mustve thought, he was the best at the position and needed to play asap. nobody wouldve expected batch to go 13-3 in relief of ben. then again, i dont think anyone expected old man bubby brister to go 4-0 in relief of elway en route to a sb season.

thats why i dont fault cowher with his decision. he was really damned if he do, damned if he dont. it was really a coinflip either way.

TackleMeBen
05-25-2007, 10:44 PM
well thats a good point on the situation cowher was faced with. im sure half of himself probably theought been needed to take a long break and recover. the other half mustve thought, he was the best at the position and needed to play asap. nobody wouldve expected batch to go 13-3 in relief of ben. then again, i dont think anyone expected old man bubby brister to go 4-0 in relief of elway en route to a sb season.

thats why i dont fault cowher with his decision. he was really damned if he do, damned if he dont. it was really a coinflip either way.

that is true. and cowher probably had ben screaming that he wanted to play and that he was ready to play. but i was yelling all year to put batch in..

GBMelBlount
05-25-2007, 10:54 PM
i cant believe im gonna say this, but if the rooneys were willing to let cowher play out his contract, it may have been a blessing in disguise that he walked this year, rather than next. we were able to land tomlin rather than the giants or some other team and i have all the confidence that it will be a good hire rather than luck if he is more than a 3 year coach (the nfl average).

TH, great post as always. Agreed. How exciting!

TackleMeBen
05-26-2007, 09:45 AM
I am glad that we got Tomlin. I think he is just what those boys need. A no non sense coach that will make you play or you can sit on the bench. No favorites and makes them all hussle and perform to the best of their ability. I feel that we could win the superbowl this year if he dont suffer any major injuries.

steelwolf21
05-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I too am glad about Tomlin, although at the start I was for Russ Grimm taking over, but the subpar line performance, as well as rumours that he really didn't know what direction he wanted to take as a HC in interviews has sort of put me off him.

As for Cowher, I'm thinking 2009 as well. It's sort of hard to see who'll last through next year to be fired the year after, but surely he'll object to Jerry Jones' meddling in Dallas if the jobs available. I don't think Carolina either because while there have been rumblings of discontent, Fox is still a really good coach who's brought in some great players, I think they'll give him a half decent chance if he struggles, plus I think they're a good shot for the playoffs this year, but that's a different matter. As for the Chargers, I do think they'll need a new HC in 2009, but after the fiasco with Schottenheimer, Cowher's mentor, how willing will he be to take over the job? What about Jacksonville? Del Rio is also on a slowly warming seat and if Leftwich doesn't work out it could be easy for them to be in need of a new HC in 2009. It seems possible, but the Redskins seem to be the best bet, they'll do whatever they can to cinvince Cowher to come back or Gibbs to hold off retiring again until Cowher's ready and then they'll show him the big bucks.

delhess
05-26-2007, 09:59 AM
how would we, as fans, feel about cowher going to cleveland next year? i don't know if i could cheer against him. that's like george bush joining al-quida!

Atlanta Dan
05-26-2007, 10:46 AM
how would we, as fans, feel about cowher going to cleveland next year? i don't know if i could cheer against him. that's like george bush joining al-quida!

It will be like Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon going from the Red Sox to the Yankees - just as most Red Sox fans despise Clemens more than most other Yankees, for some of us Cowher will be public enemy #1 if he goes to the Browns.

stillers4me
05-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Somehow, I don't see his wife moving to Cleveland or Bill willing to do the comute back and forth again.

TackleMeBen
05-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I too am glad about Tomlin, although at the start I was for Russ Grimm taking over, but the subpar line performance, as well as rumours that he really didn't know what direction he wanted to take as a HC in interviews has sort of put me off him.

As for Cowher, I'm thinking 2009 as well. It's sort of hard to see who'll last through next year to be fired the year after, but surely he'll object to Jerry Jones' meddling in Dallas if the jobs available. I don't think Carolina either because while there have been rumblings of discontent, Fox is still a really good coach who's brought in some great players, I think they'll give him a half decent chance if he struggles, plus I think they're a good shot for the playoffs this year, but that's a different matter. As for the Chargers, I do think they'll need a new HC in 2009, but after the fiasco with Schottenheimer, Cowher's mentor, how willing will he be to take over the job? What about Jacksonville? Del Rio is also on a slowly warming seat and if Leftwich doesn't work out it could be easy for them to be in need of a new HC in 2009. It seems possible, but the Redskins seem to be the best bet, they'll do whatever they can to cinvince Cowher to come back or Gibbs to hold off retiring again until Cowher's ready and then they'll show him the big bucks (http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=big%20bucks&st=1).

I was never sold on Grimm, especially when he was the one making the halftime adjustments.. oh wait there werent any adjustments made..lol.. I was rooting for Wiz to get the job if it was going to be in house. Then I was liking Ron Riveria from the Bears, but they hired Mikey T and after hearing his interview, thought he was the right man for the job. I think he will keep the boys in check, especially those that are divas :wink02:.

drew102e
05-26-2007, 01:14 PM
maybe we should have just gave ben the year off and let charlie play, maybe then we could have been in the playoffs. :cheer:

at least the friggin raiders game...then we would have ben in playoffs cause of the tie breaker with KC, but hindsight is 20/20

drew102e
05-26-2007, 01:17 PM

or GW bush joining Mensa, it just doesnt make sense does it

fansince'76
05-26-2007, 01:23 PM

or GW bush joining Mensa, it just doesnt make sense does it

You have to admit it would make the rivalry much more interesting.

Preacher
05-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Let me throw in two teams that no one has discussed... as um.. darkhorse teams.

1. Seattle. Regionally it is very different. However, Seattle does NOT have a history of coaches staying for a long time. If Seattle has one or two mediocre seasons, the coach will be gone. he has been there quite a while for Seattle standards.

2. Tampa Bay. Tampa wants a strong Defensive team. They have gone WAY downhill, after getting a taste of winning. Expect them to make a move to a winning coach with a strong defensive mind. And don't forget the Pittsburgh connection with Tampa... it was Tony Dungy who brought that team all thier success.

yinzer-inseattle
05-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Let me throw in two teams that no one has discussed... as um.. darkhorse teams.

1. Seattle. Regionally it is very different. However, Seattle does NOT have a history of coaches staying for a long time. If Seattle has one or two mediocre seasons, the coach will be gone. he has been there quite a while for Seattle standards.

2. Tampa Bay. Tampa wants a strong Defensive team. They have gone WAY downhill, after getting a taste of winning. Expect them to make a move to a winning coach with a strong defensive mind. And don't forget the Pittsburgh connection with Tampa... it was Tony Dungy who brought that team all thier success.

I really think Kay's got Bill by the nose. I'd be shocked if he coached anywhere more than an hour flight from raleigh-durham. The Panthers, Chiefs, Redskins and Giants would be my gueses (in that order).

DACEB
05-27-2007, 06:57 PM
I would love to see Cowher go to Cleveland, that way we could beat the snot out of him year in and year out.

I think Cowher was a very good coach for us, but great?? I don't think so. I think he showed great promise taking the team to the SB in his 3rd season, but in the end he was just like Marty his mentor. I know there is alot of love for Cowher but really one SB win in 15 years and losing 2 AFC championship games at home is inexcusable.

There are many who doubt coach Tomlin, I do not. I would love to see Cowher in Cleveland just to prove to the doubters who the better coach is, which I believe will be Tomlin.

Before everyone gets all crazy defending Cowher, ask yourself do you expect to win more than 1 SB in 15 years no matter who the coach is? I do! If that doesn't work try to remember how you felt after those two loses to the Pats! 'F**king Cowher that choker' never crossed your mind or came out of your mouth.

Come home to Cleveland Bill, we're all waiting!!!

Atlanta Dan
05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Before everyone gets all crazy defending Cowher, ask yourself do you expect to win more than 1 SB in 15 years no matter who the coach is? I do! If that doesn't work try to remember how you felt after those two loses to the Pats! 'F**king Cowher that choker' never crossed your mind or came out of your mouth.

Seeing as there are 32 teams, winning one SB every 15 years works out to twice as many as arguably should be expected, especially for a small market team that cannot spend its way out of personnel mistakes.

Cowher was not Lombardi, Noll or Walsh, but ask Lions or Falcons fans (to use two examples) if they would take his record over what they have been served up for the last 15 years.

I hope Tomlin works out and certainly had issues with the 2006 model of Cowher, but for everyone who regards his departure as an unqualified blessing, be careful what you wish for. If Tomlin was told today he would have Cowher's record over the next 15 years I bet he would take it in a heartbeat.

P.S. - he lost 4 home AFC championship games, but I admit 2 would have been bad enough.

Livinginthe past
05-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I would love to see Cowher go to Cleveland, that way we could beat the snot out of him year in and year out.

I think Cowher was a very good coach for us, but great?? I don't think so. I think he showed great promise taking the team to the SB in his 3rd season, but in the end he was just like Marty his mentor. I know there is alot of love for Cowher but really one SB win in 15 years and losing 2 AFC championship games at home is inexcusable.

There are many who doubt coach Tomlin, I do not. I would love to see Cowher in Cleveland just to prove to the doubters who the better coach is, which I believe will be Tomlin.

Come home to Cleveland Bill, we're all waiting!!!

The thing is Cowher would almost certainly make the Browns very competitve in the AFCN - and thats with the bengals and Ravens already looking like tough opposition.

Sure, Cowher may have been outcoached in the AFCCG a couple of times but when it comes to building a fundamentally sound team Cowher would be near the top of my list (along with Belichick and Parcells).

Cowher to the Browns can only have negative connotations - mainly because Cleveland has nowhere to go but up.

DACEB
05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Seeing as there are 32 teams, winning one SB every 15 years works out to twice as many as arguably should be expected, especially for a small market team that cannot spend its way out of personnel mistakes.

If Tomlin was told today he would have Cowher's record over the next 15 years I bet he would take it in a heartbeat.

P.S. - he lost 4 home AFC championship games, but I admit 2 would have been bad enough.

Your absolutely right Atlanta Dan. But considering I grew up as a child with the Steelers winning 4 SBs in the '70s and add to that we had a great oppurtunity to win 5 more in the 15 years under Cowher, I think we all expect more.

I also agree that coach Tomlin would love to have Cowhers overall record for 15 years. I would have to say though that even with our limited experience with coach Tomlin, he would be quick to say that 4 AFCCG losses (especially at home) is unexceptable. Let me ask this question. If coach Tomlin were to lose his job after his contract is up and the Rooneys wanted to hire Marty Shottenhiemer, how would you feel??

P.S. Seeing as I am from Mass. the 2 AFCCG against the Pats sting the most. We should have easily beaten S.D. (I remember that, '93 season right?). I can't remember the 4th for the life of me.

Atlanta Dan
05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
P.S. Seeing as I am from Mass. the 2 AFCCG against the Pats sting the most. We should have easily beaten S.D. (I remember that, '93 season right?). I can't remember the 4th for the life of me.

The fourth loss was Denver (24-21). I recall 2 specific incidents in that game that can be tied to coaching - having Kordell throw up an end zone INT when the Steelers were pounding the ball late in the 2nd Q and then not running out the clock and giving Elway the ball back for another score to end the first half. That flipped a 4 point lead to a 10 point deficit.

The difference between Cowher and Marty is that Marty usually flames out in the first round.
I agree a 1-4 record in home AFC championship games is unacceptable, but when the QBs were O'Donnell, Kordell, and a rookie Ben in those losses the question becomes how much of those losses are attributed to being outcoached and how much to not having a top shelf QB. Noll was a lot more successful coach when he had Bradshaw, Shanahan was more successful when he had Elway, and Belichick has done a lot better with Brady rather than Testaverde under center.

rbryan
05-28-2007, 10:31 AM
San Diego was 94, one year prior to SB30, can't blame that on Bill, Neil ODonnell, takes the bullet for that one. 1-4 AFCCG will haunt him forever though.

Stlrs4Life
05-28-2007, 03:04 PM

No, not the only one, it would make sense for Carolina and Cowher. It is alot closer to home for him also.

Galax Steeler
05-29-2007, 05:40 AM
I like rooneys aproach to things.

DACEB
05-29-2007, 07:19 AM
The fourth loss was Denver (24-21). I recall 2 specific incidents in that game that can be tied to coaching - having Kordell throw up an end zone INT when the Steelers were pounding the ball late in the 2nd Q and then not running out the clock and giving Elway the ball back for another score to end the first half. That flipped a 4 point lead to a 10 point deficit.

O.K. now I remember. Romanowsky got in Kordells face after that INT. seems like they were really in his head after that.

Thanks for the memories Dan!! :dang: lol

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 08:21 AM
O.K. now I remember. Romanowsky got in Kordells face after that INT. seems like they were really in his head after that.

Thanks for the memories Dan!! :dang: lol

Romo getting in Kordell's face was after another end zone INT by Kordell in the third quarter that killed a long drive.

The INT that I thought turned the game was in the 2nd Q - Steelers had second and short around the 30 and, rather than continuing to pound Bettis, Gailey called a pass - Kordell threw it up in the end zone and it was intercepted.

That game was the start of Kordell's downfall.