PDA

View Full Version : Most Over-rated Running Back

Livinginthe past
05-27-2007, 05:56 AM
I think this one will be a little tougher to decide - maybe even tougher to get the right candidates.

WR are naturally diva's, QB's automatically get the hype when his team does well - but RB's tend to recieve credit for what they achieve.

Anyhow, i'll throw some names out there and see what comes back - remember you're voting for the guy who's media perception/salary far outweighs his actual achievements.

Crushzilla
05-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow.. this is really hard.

McGahee has put up decent numbers, especially his campaign in 2004 where he had about 1300 yards and 13 Tds. I feel like McGahee is only hyped up by McGahee, so he really can't be overrated.

There is no way it can be Jamal Lewis. He gets hurt sometimes and apparently loves to "ski" as the kids say, but he has put up some monster numbers over the past few years when healthy.

Michael Turner has a career YPC of 5.8. Granted he isn't an every down back, but he's not expected to be. Everyone expects him to be the next big thing when he's never carried the ball more than 80 times in a season. When someone gives him some insane contract next year then he can be involved in this discussion.

Reggie Bush is going to be who everyone thinks he will be. As a pure running back, he may not be as amazing but as a receiving/RB option he's going to be great. He will put up stats that will rival Marshall Faulk when its all said and done.

While he's been in Chicago, Thomas Jones has been solid... I guess we'll see this season if he's the real deal.

That leaves two backs with interesting parallels...

Two former Colts...

This was hard because, right off the bat, I wanted to say Rhodes. It just seemed like a case of Super Bowl MVP big sign (I realize that Greaton Manning (:drool: :jerkit:) was the mvp, but Rhodes, in everyone who didn't count's eyes was the MVP), but Oakland handled signing Rhodes really well. He got about 7.5 over two years, I think. With 1 million signing and a base salary of 1.5 mil this year. According to FOXSports.com he was making close to 3 million last year with the Ponies. They also added language in his contract that would make him take a pay cut and keep the team from any sort of repercussions if his DUI went through.

I feel like Edge is, ultimately, a very solid running back. Part of his success in Indy was, as well as Rhodes, surely their dangerous pass attack and super efficient quarterback, but I feel like he can get it done in Arizona now that their situation is finally molding (and may not look too different than Indy's when its all said and done). Last year he threw his OLine under the bus, though, while he collected about 10 million dollars. Also, according to Rotowire.com James has never been a big fan of organized offseason workouts, but he and the Cardinals are trying to work together to arrange a schedule that works for both sides. The Cardinals will probably be happy if James attends half of their offseason practices, which he has done so far this season.
Bottom line? This guy puts up good numbers. Even in Arizona where they have had trouble finding someone who does. At the end of the day, though, this guy sucks up mad cash, talks to the media about the play of his teammates, and comes and goes as he feels, it seems. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression (Jeremy let me know what Arizonans think), but James got my vote.

P.S. Those two smilies look REALLY disturbing next to each other...

Newzfoxjr
05-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Uhhh...Clinton Portis? I don't know...he's into that media thing...but he's actually good. So I don't know. =\

Mosca
05-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I picked Bush. Not that I don't think he's going to be great, but that for right now he isn't all that. He's made some mental mistakes that bring him back down to human, IMO.

Tom

Black@Gold Forever32
05-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Jamal Lewis without a doubt....Don't know why Thomas Jones is on the list?

Livinginthe past
05-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Jamal Lewis without a doubt....Don't know why Thomas Jones is on the list?

I put Jones on the list because he is regarded as one of the elite FA pick-ups of this off-season.

He has had two nice years behind a dominant Bears O-line, but he only averaging about 750 yards per year for his career and those two years remain the only times he has gone over 1000 yards.

I don't think he is a poor RB by any stretch, I just dont agree that he will contribute very much in NY.

By comparison, your selection Jamal Lewis has gone over 1000 yards in all but one year of his 6 year playing career and his average stands at 1300 yards per year (basically twice Thomas Jones output over a similar period) plus he has done it in the AFC.

Why did you pick Lewis?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I put Jones on the list because he is regarded as one of the elite FA pick-ups of this off-season.

He has had two nice years behind a dominant Bears O-line, but he only averaging about 750 yards per year for his career and those two years remain the only times he has gone over 1000 yards.

I don't think he is a poor RB by any stretch, I just dont agree that he will contribute very much in NY.

By comparison, your selection Jamal Lewis has gone over 1000 yards in all but one year of his 6 year playing career and his average stands at 1300 yards per year (basically twice Thomas Jones output over a similar period) plus he has done it in the AFC.

Why did you pick Lewis?

Ok LITP I'm going by the last two years and its clear that Thomas Jones has been the better RB of the two....Where Lewis started his career strong he has been in the decline ever since his 2000 yard season in 2003. Dude the last two years Lewis has around 2000 yards and 12 TDs. Plus his yards per carry the last two years are 3.4 and 3.6. The Ravens offense line wasn't terrible either.

Look at Jones who has 2500 yards and 15 TDs. His yards per carry the last two years are 4.3 and 4.1. I on the other hand think he will be very good for the Jets this year.

In my opinion Jamal Lewis isn't a top notch RB anymore and now he is with the Browns. You talk about Jones not being much of a factor in New York. What about Lewis with the terrible Browns.? Yes they had a nice draft. But Joe Thomas is still a rookie and I think he will be a great LT but he still will have some growing pains. They did add Eric Steinback also in free agency so the Oline will be better overall this year for the Browns. But they still don't have the passing game to take the heat off Lewis.

Livinginthe past
05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok LITP I'm going by the last two years and its clear that Thomas Jones has been the better RB of the two....Where Lewis started his career strong he has been in the decline ever since his 2000 yard season in 2003. Dude the last two years Lewis has around 2000 yards and 12 TDs. Plus his yards per carry the last two years are 3.4 and 3.6. The Ravens offense line wasn't terrible either.

Look at Jones who has 2500 yards and 15 TDs. His yards per carry the last two years are 4.3 and 4.1. I on the other hand think he will be very good for the Jets this year.

In my opinion Jamal Lewis isn't a top notch RB anymore and now he is with the Browns. You talk about Jones not being much of a factor in New York. What about Lewis with the terrible Browns.? Yes they had a nice draft. But Joe Thomas is still a rookie and I think he will be a great LT but he still will have some growing pains. They did add Eric Steinback also in free agency so the Oline will be better overall this year for the Browns. But they still don't have the passing game to take the heat off Lewis.

Hey thats cool - I like getting a little background on why people pick who they do.

Personally I haven't heard quite as much about how big an impact Lewis should have in the AFCN, but thats because my attentions are more focused on the AFCE.

I'll give you the fact that Jones has been better the last couple of years but im looking at how that translates to running behind an average Jets line and it doesn't appear promising.

As you say the Browns are a long way from being challengers for anything other than the 2008 1st draft pick and I have no idea who Lewis will go in that team.

ben2hines=6
05-27-2007, 03:34 PM
tough one there between jamal and edge.....i chose jamal based that edge had the worst offeseive line in the league in fron of him last year.......what about rudi johnson??? im always hearing his name among the elite and im never impressed

Livinginthe past
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
tough one there between jamal and edge.....i chose jamal based that edge had the worst offeseive line in the league in fron of him last year.......what about rudi johnson??? im always hearing his name among the elite and im never impressed

I thought it might be a little unfair to put Rudi on there just because he is a Bengal.

He has rushed for an average of 1400 yards and 12 TD's in the last 3 years - thats pretty good going.

ben2hines=6
05-27-2007, 03:43 PM
yea.....maybe its just against the steelers, but i never see that guy run with a purpose....the numbers arent bad i c

Livinginthe past
05-27-2007, 03:45 PM
yea.....maybe its just against the steelers, but i never see that guy run with a purpose....the numbers arent bad i c

To be fair, most RB's find life tough against the Steelers :wink02:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey thats cool - I like getting a little background on why people pick who they do.

Personally I haven't heard quite as much about how big an impact Lewis should have in the AFCN, but thats because my attentions are more focused on the AFCE.

I'll give you the fact that Jones has been better the last couple of years but im looking at how that translates to running behind an average Jets line and it doesn't appear promising.

As you say the Browns are a long way from being challengers for anything other than the 2008 1st draft pick and I have no idea who Lewis will go in that team.

Hey dude no problems man...Its always great talking with you bro....:tt02:

Godfather
05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I went with the Edge. The Colts got better without him, and he disappeared when he didn't have Peyton and Marvin to stretch the defense.

Jamal's generally known to be washed up so it's hard for him to be overrated. Reggie is overrated, but only because a mutant combination of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders couldn't live up to that hype.

Crushzilla
05-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I went with the Edge. The Colts got better without him, and he disappeared when he didn't have Peyton and Marvin to stretch the defense.

Thank you!

Come on guys, Jamal Lewis? Keep in mind that he put up big yards depite running against us twice a season. I just don't understand how he can be considered washed up at 27. He put up alright numbers last season and if he can stay healthy he should be alright in Cleveland. :hunch:

Elvis
05-28-2007, 08:45 AM
I dont agree crushzilla about the Edge... he just got behind such a poor run blocking line that he struggled a little. When that O line gets help he will be right back where he was with the Colts. I think that he will be bettter now that Whiz and Grimm are there to help the running game and Oline. Jamal Lewis in his day was a great power back and I would have loved to have seen him a Steelers uniform, he would have been a great back here. And tell me, what has Rhodes done to say that he is not the most overrated? He aint no where near what those other backs are except for maybe Jones. All the rest of those guys have earned the reputations to me..
:tt02::wave:

ben2hines=6
05-28-2007, 02:58 PM
crushzilla, i respect ur thoughts on jamal lewis but the average per carry the last two years was 3.4 and 3.6.....now maybe im being a little tough but that is horrible and certainly not good enough to start anywhere....the guy had an above average line in baltimore and still couldnt get it done

Crushzilla
05-28-2007, 03:28 PM
I primarily chose Edge because he causes such a stir in Arizona. Just how they have to sit down and plan a workout schedule that works for him and how he kept talking about the line and that's why his YPC average was down. Also, the Colts hardly needed him to get over the hump. Maybe he wasn't as valuable to that franchise as he thought he was?

I can't deny that Lewis hasn't been stellar lately, but it wasn't so long ago that he was tearing it up. Doesn't he hold like the single game rush record or something? (That was a legitimate question, BTW). Cleveland signed him to a low risk contract. He gets 3.5 mil straight up with incentives to be earned if he can deliver. The way I see it, there isn't an insane amount of expectation there. Therefore, I don't see him as being very overrated (or Cleveland just realizes they are gonna get burned every time).

Edge, on the other hand, made 9 mil last year. Edge is expected to be a long term solution in Arizona, and he really isn't showing me the behavior a franchise RB should have toward his team.

- remember you're voting for the guy who's media perception/salary far outweighs his actual achievements.

Edge
Salary- 9 million
Media- Coming and going in practice and slamming his OLine....
Achievements- Mediocre

I can, however, accept Lewis being chosen for this overrated team.

j-dawg
05-28-2007, 07:34 PM

how could lewis be overrated? the contract he signed with the browns proves that HE KNOWS he's underrated.

Only once (he missed all of 2001 with a knee injury) has lewis failed to run for 1,000 yards (906 in 2005). he has rushed for 7,801 yards and 45 TDs in his career.

jamals a proven back playing for a different team in the same division. that certainly sounds good to me. your assumption that the browns don't have a passing game is interesting... i guess winslows position high 89 receptions don't count. shesshhh... it's cool, my team certainly hasn't earned any respect... but assumptions are the MOTHER of all screw ups.

ShutDown24
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Thomas Jones in my opinion, I have played running back and i watch the position carefully during games out of habit now... Jones isn't anything speacil and I was surprised when everyone was like "The Jets are genius's the picked up Thomas Jones" while I agree Lewis is overrated, you can't ignore what hes done in the past before he got in his slump.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-29-2007, 11:30 AM
I primarily chose Edge because he causes such a stir in Arizona. Just how they have to sit down and plan a workout schedule that works for him and how he kept talking about the line and that's why his YPC average was down. Also, the Colts hardly needed him to get over the hump. Maybe he wasn't as valuable to that franchise as he thought he was?

I can't deny that Lewis hasn't been stellar lately, but it wasn't so long ago that he was tearing it up. Doesn't he hold like the single game rush record or something? (That was a legitimate question, BTW). Cleveland signed him to a low risk contract. He gets 3.5 mil straight up with incentives to be earned if he can deliver. The way I see it, there isn't an insane amount of expectation there. Therefore, I don't see him as being very overrated (or Cleveland just realizes they are gonna get burned every time).

Edge, on the other hand, made 9 mil last year. Edge is expected to be a long term solution in Arizona, and he really isn't showing me the behavior a franchise RB should have toward his team.

Edge
Salary- 9 million
Media- Coming and going in practice and slamming his OLine....
Achievements- Mediocre

I can, however, accept Lewis being chosen for this overrated team.

Good points....and add to that....his replacement by a rookie RB , only gave the Colts a Superbowl....Which has to make you scratch your head and ask if he wasnt as much a part of the "system" as Addai was...... he can thank the Colts OC for stretching the defense and padding his numbers.

Big7BenHOF
06-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Reggie Bush