PDA

View Full Version : Clayton/ESPN: (Ben Roethlisberger) Best Way to Tell Teams on the Rise is QB Stats

alittlejazzbird
05-27-2007, 09:59 PM
It's a numbers and stats kind of article, and math always makes my eyes glaze over, so I'll leave the heavy reading up to you! Expect the usual Carson Palmer lovefest (i.e., third best quarterback in the NFL behind P. Manning and Brady)....but here's the stuff relevant to Ben and the Steelers:

Enough about the stats. Let's look ahead to putting into perspective what might happen in 2007. Let's play the percentages. The Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals, Steelers, 49ers and Panthers are prime candidates for making completion percentage jumps of 4 percentage points. Of those six teams, only the Seahawks made the playoffs.

Naturally, the Bengals will have to watch Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. Roethlisberger is a career 62 percent thrower, but more will be asked of him this year. The Steelers should put up between 22 and 25 points a game. After a 59.7 percent season, Roethlisberger should bounce back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2881407

The Duke
05-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm not too trusting on stats but if what they mean Ben will put better numbers this year I agree with them. He has new resposibilities, a rookie coach easier to befriends with, and should have recovered from his accident completely. I say as long as the o line protects him better than last year he'll be fine.

fansince'76
05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Article in a nutshell: if you want a chance to win the SB, you have to have a top-flight QB. No shit - been saying that for years.

Jeremy
05-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I take back everything bad I said about ESPN.

Elvis
05-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Article in a nutshell: if you want a chance to win the SB, you have to have a top-flight QB. No shit - been saying that for years.
Fan.. seems like you and myself always seem to think around the same lines. I just dont think that Big Ben is gonna be the big passing guy that everyone is hoping for though. He has shown in the past to be very unpredictable in the pass happy situations. Last year in the Browns game that we won 24-20, he looked great in the 2nd half of that game, but look what he looked like against the Raiders earlier in the season. He is very inconsistent in those situations. I just hope that the injuries that he had sustained in the offseason last year was the cause of the early mistakes that he made.

myopunger55
05-28-2007, 11:09 AM
What he looked like against the Raiders was a shell shocked QB getting crushed within a half second everytime he dropped back. What? Didn't Burgess have like 4 sacks against us that fine Sunday afternoon? Blame that on the line, not Ben. There are fighter pilots that don't have the reactions to make a decision that quickly! Did you forget the run to the Superbowl? We opened up against the Broncos and attacked throught the air the whole first half! And Indy? We rode his arm to number 5! He has all the tools. Go Steelers!

fansince'76
05-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Fan.. seems like you and myself always seem to think around the same lines. I just dont think that Big Ben is gonna be the big passing guy that everyone is hoping for though.

I kinda hope he isn't - I don't want to see him throwing the ball 40-50 times a game, because to me, that is a sure-fire recipe for failure.

ben2hines=6
05-28-2007, 02:21 PM
is it just me or did we just get put in the same catagorie as the damn cardinals :dang:

MasterOfPuppets
05-28-2007, 02:41 PM
What he looked like against the Raiders was a shell shocked QB getting crushed within a half second everytime he dropped back. What? Didn't Burgess have like 4 sacks against us that fine Sunday afternoon? Blame that on the line, not Ben. There are fighter pilots that don't have the reactions to make a decision that quickly! Did you forget the run to the Superbowl? We opened up against the Broncos and attacked throught the air the whole first half! And Indy? We rode his arm to number 5! He has all the tools. Go Steelers!
yup i agree. its up to the coaches to put him in situations where he can succeed. he's already displayed the physical and mental ability to carry the team to wins.but everyone around him has to do thier part.

FastWillieParker39
05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
If there going to pass more than maybe the coaches see something in Ben that we haven't seen yet. Maybe Cowher has been holding him back 2 years now. Maybe he's starting to break out of his shell.

I don't see Ben passing more as a bad thing nor a good thing. I guess all we can do is sit back, wait and watch.

Edman
05-28-2007, 02:51 PM
It's not about airing it out too much, or running it too much. It's balance.

Yes, we opened up leads by passing in the '05 playoffs, but then we began running it down and chewing up clock. It's balance.

That's the main reason why Cowher teams failed in the playoffs. They were made one-dimensional. Stop the run and you beat us. That has been the longtime popular method to beating the Steelers by the whole league. Cowher was that predictable. But who can blame him when we had garbage under center? When we did try opening it up, we didn't go anywhere or made a costly interception. See Korky and the '97 and 2001 Championship games. Ugh...

FastWillieParker39
05-28-2007, 02:53 PM
It's not about airing it out too much, or running it too much. It's balance.

Yes, we opened up leads by passing in the '05 playoffs, but then we began running it down and chewing up clock. It's balance.

That's the main reason why Cowher teams failed in the playoffs. They were made one-dimensional. Stop the run and you beat us. That has been the longtime popular method to beating the Steelers by the whole league. Cowher was that predictable. But who can blame him when we had garbage under center? When we did try opening it up, we didn't go anywhere or made a costly interception. See Korky and the '97 and 2001 Championship games. Ugh...

Yes or see Maddox is 03. But Maddox always sucked so he doesn't count

TX Steel
05-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Numbers can be misleading. Look at Ben's numbers in SB XL and if you didn't know better, you would be surprised to find out he QB'ed the winning team (and made some big key plays to help them win).

I would like to see him throw more, but not Maddox-esque. It's all about balance.

A wise man once said, "Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good...everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Understand?"

That wise man? None other than Mr. Miyagi...

abgroove
05-29-2007, 07:37 AM

You mean like Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler?

fansince'76
05-29-2007, 06:30 PM
You mean like Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler?

Guys like Dilfer and Hostetler were exceptions to the rule:

Bradshaw: HoFer - 4 rings
Montana: HoFer - 4 rings
Aikman: HoFer - 3 rings
Brady: future HoFer - 3 rings
Starr: HoFer - 2 rings
Staubach: HoFer: 2 rings
Elway: HoFer - 2 rings
Griese: HoFer - 2 rings
Namath: HoFer - 1 ring
Young: HoFer - 1 ring
Favre: future HoFer - 1 ring
Manning: future HoFer - 1 ring

That's 26 out of 41 SBs, so yes, I think it's fairly safe to say that a team has at least a much better chance to win with a top-flight QB. Or you get lucky with a flash-in-the-pan like the 'Skins did with Rypien in '91 or like the Rams did with Kurt Warner in '99. Or in Dilfer's, Hostetler's and for that matter, McMahon's cases, you win with a dominant D and your team is typically a one-shot wonder in those cases.