PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Noll best coach since 1969

moedap
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I am choosing to debate who has been the best coach since 1969 for 2 reasons. I was born in 1969 so I am biased to those who coached after 1969. Secondly, 1969 is when the NFL introduced the Super Bowl (the NFL championship) and and 2 years after the NFL absorbed its competition, the American Football League. Choosing 1969 as my start date still produced a list of 6 to 7 coaches who could be considered the best of all time. I chose to add the criteria that the best coach of all time had to have won 3 or more Super Bowl?s to reduce my list. Four coaches panned out: Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Belichick.
The state of the team before each of these respective coaches took over was also taken into consideration. To purge the list even further I looked at the 5 year win/loss record history of each team. Bill Belichick took over the Patriots in 2000 from 1995 to 1999 the Patriots amassed a 44-36 record and were coached by Bill Parcells(a 2 time SB winner and a Best Coach candidate on many lists). The Redskins were 43-33 from 1976 ? 1980 when Joe Gibbs took the helm in 1981. Bill Walsh became the 49ers head coach in 1979. The 49ers were a paltry 26-46 from 1974 to 1978. Chuck Noll began coaching the Steelers in 1969. The Steelers accomplished a pitiful 18-49-3 record 5 years prior to Noll?s hiring. As the records indicate Bill Belichick and Joe Gibbs took over teams who consistently fielded competitive teams prior to there arrivals. Only Bill Walsh and Chuck Noll took over teams with losing records. Going back 5 more years for each team the win/loss statistics reveal the 49ers were the more successful team as compared to the Steelers. They also made the playoffs 3 years in a row from 1970 ? 1972 compared to none for the Steelers. Further comparison of Nolls and Walshs win/loss statistics for 10 years of coaching also give the edge to Noll. Walsh who coached the 49ers from 1979 ? 1988 had a record of 92 wins, 59 losses, and 1 tie with a .605 winning percentage. Noll?s first 10 years of coaching produced an 88 win, 53 loss, 1 tie record with a .619 winning percentage. Statistically Noll looks better.
Noll was lauded for his ability for picking talent in the draft. His first 10 years of drafting would eventually produce 9 members of the NFL Hall of Fame. The Steelers draft of 1974 alone produced 4 eventual HOF?rs. Walsh would only draft two HOF?rs but he is mainly canonized for his ability to get the most out of average players. He was able to get the most out of them due to West Coast offense he introduced in the NFL. The West Coast offense was based on stretching the playing field horizontally with short timed passes. Walsh took average players and his West Coast offense made them stars. He was so successful other NFL teams began to hire his assistants who began to spread the West Coast offense around. The assistant that replaced him as the 49ers head coach would go on to win 2 more Super Bowls.
Bill Walsh was definitely the most innovational and influential coach in the NFL since 1969. He developed a radical new approach to the offensive game. However, the debate was searching for the best coach since 1969. Chuck Noll is the first and only coach to win 4 Super Bowls. He "taught" his drafted talent to achieve excellence and in 10 years produce 9 NFL Hall of Fame inductees. Its a shame that his ability to recognize great football players is the same thing many use to keep him from being considered the best coach ever in the NFL.

Atlanta Dan
05-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately, you need to look at the entire body of work - Joe Gibbs has said that the effective lifespan of a NFL coach is 10 years (he should have listened to his own advice).

Noll had a great run in the 1970s but did little after SB XIV until his retirement 12 years later, making only one playoff appearance in his last seven seasons.

OTOH, Bill Walsh, who got out on top, won 3 SBs in his 10 years as a HC, coached the players who won the SB again the year after his retirement, and designed an offense that is still prevalent 20 years after his retirement.

Have to give the nod to Walsh.

moedap
05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately, you need to look at the entire body of work - Joe Gibbs has said that the effective lifespan of a NFL coach is 10 years (he should have listened to his own advice).

Noll had a great run in the 1970s but did little after SB XIV until his retirement 12 years later, making only one playoff appearance in his last seven seasons.

After the initial creation of the world I think God only went on to produce 1 more miracle and since then none. But is he still not the greatest.

OTOH, Bill Walsh, who got out on top, won 3 SBs in his 10 years as a HC, coached the players who won the SB again the year after his retirement, and designed an offense that is still prevalent 20 years after his retirement.

I'll give the nod to Walsh as a Best Coordinator. Noll also produced 3 SBs within his first 10 years. 4 in 11 years. Also because Walsh developed a new offense it was easier for him to game plan b/c most defensive coordinators had no knowledge of what to expect. The X's and O's had to be harder for Noll.

ben2hines=6
05-28-2007, 02:12 PM
my vote goes to jimmy johnson here.......easy arguement is he didnt coach long enough but the guy was a winner where ever he went college and pro

LambertIsGod58
05-28-2007, 04:21 PM
my vote goes to jimmy johnson here.......easy arguement is he didnt coach long enough but the guy was a winner where ever he went college and pro

Jimmy didn't win in Miami!!!

yinzer-inseattle
05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Walsh by a nose, and most of that is due to the previoulsy mentioned futility in the latter Noll years.

Elvis
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02:
Chuck Knoll will always get my vote...
Bellichick is a close 2nd to me...
:wave:

LambertIsGod58
05-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Chuck Noll hands down...he built his empire from the draft. Look at his draft of 1974. Four Hall of Famers? WTF, 4 titles and all those Hall of Famers. Noll in a landslide. The part about Walsh....he learned from Paul Brown.

Crushzilla
05-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Its almost impossible to argue against the 1974 Steelers draft class.

Look for it to be the most used rebuttal in the Presidential debates.

"Mrs. Clinton, how do you plan to handle rising gas prices?"
"I think, when exploring this topic, one needs to keep in mind that the Steelers found Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Jack Lambert, AND Mike Webster in '74."

(And my old high school's athletic director, Rick Druschel...)

Atlanta Dan
05-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Chuck Noll hands down...he built his empire from the draft. Look at his draft of 1974. Four Hall of Famers? WTF, 4 titles and all those Hall of Famers. Noll in a landslide. The part about Walsh....he learned from Paul Brown.

That actually may be the knock on Noll - did Noll make all those great players or did they make him? I could care less - i just liked 4 SBs in 6 years.

Everyone learns from someone - Noll played for Brown and coached under Shula

Walsh implemented the forerunnner of the West Coast offense at Cincy and then Brown bad mouthed him for HC jobs to keep him from leaving

Worst move in Bengals history was not promoting Walsh to HC in 1976 - with Anderson at QB they would have been a tough late 70s opponent

TX Steel
05-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Tough to call. Maybe this is my Steeler bias, but I give the nod to Noll. The ability to find great talent and cultivate it into a dynasty...wow.

How great would it be in a decade to have Tomlin in the conversation?

Preacher
05-28-2007, 11:38 PM
It absolutely kills me to say this...

BUt I gotta give it to Walsh.

If Noll quit in 1982 or 3, he would be it. But his last few years as head coach drops him in my mind.

Elvis
05-29-2007, 09:22 AM
It absolutely kills me to say this...

BUt I gotta give it to Walsh.

If Noll quit in 1982 or 3, he would be it. But his last few years as head coach drops him in my mind.
I understand your point brother...:thumbsup:

WV-SteelerFan
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately, you need to look at the entire body of work...

On that basis, I think you take Bill Belichick off this list because his previous "bad"
stint as the HC of the Cleveland Browns (IMO) kinda cancels out
his "good" work with the Patriots...

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
On that basis, I think you take Bill Belichick off this list because his previous "bad"
stint as the HC of the Cleveland Browns (IMO) kinda cancels out
his "good" work with the Patriots...

Agreed - as was noted in the comment that Jimmy Johnson tarnished his legacy by his stint with the Dolphins.

rich4eagle
05-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Nice and good choice but Walsh's and Noll's teacher and the father of all that is happening in the NFL...........Paul Brown was the best and father of modern football

Godfather
05-29-2007, 08:14 PM
After the initial creation of the world I think God only went on to produce 1 more miracle and since then none. But is he still not the greatest.

Yeah, I'd have to say His Son outdid him over the last 2000 years :smile: