PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland idolizes the Steelers

stlrtruck
05-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Ok so I read my recent issue of Steelers Digest and here was an article on the back page. It's a shame you have to show a football teams logo at your basketball games. I think Pittsburgh should get an NBA team just so we can beat Cleveland at every thing!!!

STEELERS-BROWNS: A RIVALRY FOR ALL SEASONS:
If there was any question as to whether the Steelers-Browns rivalry has lost its intensity, it now can be said the emotion transcends football.

In an effort to energize their fans, the Cleveland Cavaliers put the Steelers logo on the Jumbotron when an opposing player goes to the free throw line. It never fails to rile the fans, and boos then rain down on the opposition.

The Cavs started showing the Steelers logo near the end of the 2006 season, and when they found it worked, they even expanded upon the theme.

The team also uses images of two athletes Cleveland fans love to boo - Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer, who left the Cavs during a free agency controversy - wearing Steelers uniforms when it wants a real loud reaction.

It has been working for the Cavaliers during these NBA Playoffs, because the team has advanced to the Eastern Conference seminfinals.

TX Steel
05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
That says something when they feel the best way to achieve those results is to post Steeler logos and uniforms.

Sad and funny. Mostly funny!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I could speculate that this an indication the Cleveland fans think the Cavs could field a better football team then the Browns

fansince'76
05-29-2007, 09:00 AM
One word: PATHETIC.

j-dawg
05-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Pittsburgh should get an NBA team just so we can beat Cleveland at every thing!!!

:coffee:

don't know if you noticed... but the cavs are playing in the eastern conference finals...

as far as pittsburgh teams beating cleveland at every thing... how them pirates doing? :toofunny:

PisnNapalm
05-29-2007, 11:20 AM
That's hysterical! ROFLMAO!!

fansince'76
05-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't a picture of Art Modell be just as effective? I know if I was a Clevelander, I would hate the guy's guts. :hunch:

rbryan
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM

don't know if you noticed... but the cavs are playing in the eastern conference finals...

as far as pittsburgh teams beating cleveland at every thing... how them pirates doing? :toofunny:

Gotta give you clowns the nod on B Ball & Baseball (Who cares, Cleveland still won't win anything) but you know damn well the only REAL sport worth talking about is Football. Thats why you're here.

Don't worry, the Browns may compete SOMEDAY, maybe when you get rid of the school janitor impersonating a coach, Romeo and hire our retread, da chin.

That, and when the planets align, Drew Carey loses 80 lbs, and Lake Erie doesn't smell like a septic tank.

j-dawg
05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
(Who cares, Cleveland still won't win anything)

:blah:

stlrtruck
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm fully aware that the want to be MJ (aka King James) can't handle being in the spot light and when he's had a chance to take the last second shot - he's been like a clowns QB against the Steelers - just get rid of the ball.

And yeah, the indians are finally doing something but like any team out of clowns town, they'll find a way to suck :toofunny: :banana:

j-dawg
05-29-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm fully aware that the want to be MJ (aka King James) can't handle being in the spot light and when he's had a chance to take the last second shot - he's been like a clowns QB against the Steelers - just get rid of the ball.

guess you missed game 3 on sunday. :wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Must be nice to enjoy your sundays for a change.:toofunny:

MACH1
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM

It was a fluke!!!

fansince'76
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
The Cavs have put together a pretty good team, in all fairness - doesn't matter, though, because the Spurs are gonna win it all, unless Duncan goes down with an injury.

j-dawg
05-29-2007, 12:21 PM

hehehe... sad but very true...

rbryan
05-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Nice

stlrtruck
05-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately, that's only one game what did he do the other 2??

But hey, you enjoy the NBA and MLB. Both those sports are like the appetizer before a hearty Steak and Potato meal. Which we all know - that's what football is!!!

j-dawg
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, that's only one game what did he do the other 2??

:banging: sure, it's not a best of seven series... :dang:

MACH1
05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
The real finals are between the spurts & jizz. :smile:

stlrtruck
05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
:banging: sure, it's not a best of seven series... :dang:

Really? I must have missed that in the last series too (duh)! But hey what ever keeps you smilin' in the off season. :cheers:

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-29-2007, 03:02 PM

as far as pittsburgh teams beating cleveland at every thing... how them pirates doing? :toofunny:I don't think the Bucs play the Tribe during the regular season. But they did beat you both times they played you during spring training.:wink02:

HometownGal
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM

And the Clowns have how many Super Bowl trophies in the last 42 years? Speak up dawg - I can't hear you. :flap:

j-dawg
05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
And the Clowns have how many Super Bowl trophies in the last 42 years? Speak up dawg - I can't hear you. :flap:

:couch:

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
5 World Series compared to 2.

5 Super Bowls compared to 0.

Pittsburgh: 10

Cleveland: 2

Enough said. :coffee::yawn:

Stlrs4Life
05-29-2007, 07:37 PM
5 World Series compared to 2.

5 Super Bowls compared to 0.

Pittsburgh: 10

Cleveland: 2

Enough said. :coffee::yawn:

Add 2 Stanley Cups, 12-2.

SteelShooter
05-29-2007, 08:03 PM
:sofunny: Sometimes being hated so intensely....................is just so cool! :flap:

j-dawg
05-30-2007, 05:04 AM
don't forget the cleveland force/crunch 3 NPSL championships!! :checkit: :flex: :funny:

Crushzilla
05-30-2007, 06:17 AM
don't forget the cleveland force/crunch 3 NPSL championships!! :checkit: :flex: :funny:

I say we give it to him for obscurity... :thumbsup:

rbryan
05-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Surprised he didn't mention the Browns of the 50's & 60's.

stlrtruck
05-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey let's be fair on that one. Although they aren't Super Bowls, they are league Championships and back then the clowns were actually a team to be reckoned with

stlrtruck
06-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Hey J-Dawg, I'm here to chime in on Mr. Labrone James' performance last night. I was actually impressed. He took over in the final meets of regulation and in OT to pull his team through. Didn't he score like the last 30 points for his team or something - scary and sad at the same time.

And he did it on the road in a hostile environment.

I wonder if the clowns will ask him to play for them when they play the Steelers? At least someone can perform in a hostile environment. Heck, I'm sure people in Cleveland would be happy if the clowns could perform at home where's it only hostile for them when they play like crap - oh wait, I'm sorry they play like crap at home.

:toofunny: :banana: :flap: :chicken: :toofunny:

rbryan
06-01-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't claim to be an NBA fan, but I would just as soon see Cleveland win as anyone else. I'm tired of Detroit, Spurs etc.. winning.

j-dawg
06-01-2007, 10:08 AM
ha,ha... the fact that your throwing smack at the browns so early really makes me think you're a little more worried about them than in years past. this time last year the browns were a non factor on this message board... the bengals were getting all the attention.

i can't say the browns will be a formidable threat at home (they're only 20-44 since they've returned) ... but i haven't seen this team play a single down yet.

after watching the cavs and indians both respectively beat their opponents last night, i can say this....

things are changing in cleveland. :jammin:

stlrtruck
06-01-2007, 01:13 PM
First of all the only reason the clowns are a factor is because this thread was created due to Cleveland's interest in showing Steelers stuff on their NBA courts in order to get a rise out of the crowd. It's a sad state of affairs when you have to do that. And no, I'm not worried about them - I've got those two games marked as W's already!

Things always change in Cleveland this time of year. But then football season starts and the universe returns to normal :toofunny:

rbryan
06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
IMO, the Turds made a big mistake buying into the BQ hype. He'll set them back another 5years. BQ may have had a chance if he were drafted by a decent team and given a year or two to learn, but he's doomed from the start now. You know the fans will be calling for him right away and the FO will oblige. Its gonna be ugly. I pray he starts the season opener.

BQ=brownie queen

BrowniesSuck.com
06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
You've got to be kidding me that the Cavs are doing that. That whole city sucks so badly.

83-Steelers-43
06-01-2007, 07:28 PM
How can we even compare Cleveland to Pittsburgh when it comes to sports or anything else for that matter? It's like beating up a person with one arm. Can we at least get a city where sport championships are comparable?

Cleveland is a JOKE.

revefsreleets
06-01-2007, 08:00 PM
To be fair, that was the most dominant performance by an NBA player in a meaningful game since Jordan.

But Cleveland needs to win tomorrow at home, because if they lose, they'll never beat Detroit in Detroit twice. If they win tomorrow and advance, I'll give them their due.

fansince'76
06-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Congrats to the Cavs on their first NBA Finals appearance in franchise history! :party:

83-Steelers-43
06-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Finder: Steelers logo noisemaker for Cavaliers''
Sunday, June 03, 2007

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Cleveland Cavaliers played host to Detroit in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference final last night at The Q, a place where they cue up a little extra playoff-basketball vitriol and ferocity from, where else, the Steelers.

Holy hypercycloids, King LeBron James, what does a football club 135 miles away have to do with coming this close to your city's inaugural NBA Finals?

Does it involve nasty e-mails?

Nah. Just a shot and some jeers.

Around the middle of the 2005-06 Cavaliers season, some smart-aleck in Quicken Loans Arena in-game entertainment got the Jumbotron-bright idea to flash an image that would instantly, viscerally elicit vocal bile from the home folks once an opposing player stepped to the free-throw line.

A University of Michigan logo.

The bunch of Buckeyes booed.

A photo of Derek Jeter of the hated Yankees.

Members of the Tribe Nation -- is that PC? -- cut loose.

The Steelers' symbol.

That beckoned screaming damnation in Brownieland.

Consider it a cheap trill.

Come on, you're Cleveland. You're the Mistake by the Lake. You can come up with something more clever than that.

OK, so a picture of Carlos Boozer, the money-grubbing turncoat who spurned your fair city for Utah, of all places, also gets play in the video rotation.

Yet you have far more villains than that.

That loser Bill Belichick.

That loose cannon Albert Jojuan Belle.

That luring ex-Maryland Gov. Parris N. Glendening.

Just because the Steelers are a rival, and one that regularly kicks Heinz Field sand in the Browns' faces, is no reason to misdirect wrath. Boo at the stadium near the flammable river, and, come to think of it, that liquid inferno would make for another potential video moment.

To invoke your pro-football neighbor at the most important basketball juncture since Craig Ehlo was getting faked out of his Hanes, it's akin to mixing fruits and vegetables. Politics and religion. Cadavaliers and Squealers.

Worse still, the guy who runs the Cleveland franchise, its president, is a Pittsburgh guy: Duquesne University, former front-office type with the Penguins and defunct soccer Spirit.

"As you know, there has been a bit of a rivalry between the Browns and Steelers over the years," Len Komoroski wrote in an e-mail the other day. "The same with Ohio State and Michigan. Our video crew started using the Steelers and Michigan logos last season to help our fans voice their feelings during free throws by the opposition. Those rivalries are so intense and broad-based here, they were found to always get a consistent reaction."

Home videos of people accidentally being bashed in the privates get a consistent reaction. Kidneys violated by too much beer get a consistent reaction. Shucks, racing foodstuffs get a consistent reaction.

There has to be something more defining, something more Cleveland-centric, to revile than out-of-season out-of-towners. Such as Barry Bonds and Francisco Cabrera during Pittsburgh summers and the New England Patriots during late-January North Shore evenings. Like the Russian winter to invading Germans or French.

Look, if Cavaliers followers cannot get riled up over the former NBA champs, the former Bad Boys of Detroit with their first NBA Finals trip on the line, then they don't deserve the next Magic Johnson. No less-than-subtle messages should be necessary.

Michael Jordan.

John Elway.

Myron Cope urinating off the roof of old Municipal Stadium.

Of course, 'tis better to be Piston than Pist ... oh, never mind.

"You should come on up for a game," Komoroski wrote. "The atmosphere is phenomenal."

And so derivative. You love this game? Prove it on your own right. Rock responsibly, Cleveland.

Art Modell.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07154/791152-195.stm

Edman
06-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I think it's pathetic to resort to logos of your biggest football rival as motivation to jeer. Really pathetic. Yet flattering.

Cleveland just can't get enough of the Steelers.

j-dawg
06-03-2007, 12:20 AM
awww.. get over it.. cleveland browns jerring at the steelers logo should be a point of pride for the steelers nation... they've had our number and we hate it. i know i'd be impressed if steelers nation was getting worked up at a different event when they saw the browns logo.

also... the cavs are eastern conference champs!!!!! HELLS YEAH!!!

Crushzilla
06-03-2007, 03:07 AM

I couldn't be happier, closest thing I have to a hometown team. Congrats.

stlrtruck
06-04-2007, 07:36 AM
awww.. get over it.. cleveland browns jerring at the steelers logo should be a point of pride for the steelers nation... they've had our number and we hate it. i know i'd be impressed if steelers nation was getting worked up at a different event when they saw the browns logo.

Oh, I think it is a point of pride, at least for me. I just think it's sad that they need it to get the fans riled up. You would think in the playoff atmosphere like that, they wouldn't need the Steelers but hey - do what ya gotta!

However, I think that TIMMY and the Spurs will show Labron, the cavs, and the city of cleveland a new level of despair. But at least Labron has come into his own and you'll have something to look forward to next October when your football season is officially over. :banging: :toofunny:

MACH1
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
The spurs will be bringing the brooms...:wink02:

Elvis
06-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I could speculate that this an indication the Cleveland fans think the Cavs could field a better football team then the Browns
Couldnt have said it better myself brother....
:tt02:

Edman
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

The Cavs are a different story. I'll root for them all the way since Pittsburgh doesn't have a pro basketball team...yet. They're the closest NBA team to PIT. Congrats to the Cavaliers.