PDA

View Full Version : Winslow looking good, QBs Quinn, Frye not so much

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-29-2007, 09:22 AM
By Patrick McManamon

This and that from a Browns offseason practice... with the proviso that only so much can be gleaned from a workout that was voluntary and included no contact...

Tight end Kellen Winslow did not participate in the practice and probably won't take part until training camp. But if looks mean anything, he's doing fine in his comeback. Winslow walked out to the practice about midway through -- he was inside doing rehab -- and looked as fit as ever. He barely had a limp, wore no brace or sleeve on his knee, and when he jogged about 10 yards, he did so with no limitation. He still has to prove he can come back from microfracture surgery, but if looks mean anything, he's on track.

For what it's worth on the first day of an offseason practice, Kevin Shaffer was with the first team at left tackle, Charlie Frye at quarterback, Seth McKinney at right guard and rookie Eric Wright at cornerback. D'Qwell Jackson, who had toe surgery late last year, was back with the first unit.

Call it an education for Brady Quinn, the second of the team's first-round draft picks. Each quarterback got two sets of three plays, and Quinn needed more. Hard to remember a good throw. It's not easy going into a new system with new teammates on the first practice, but Quinn spent extra time on the field after the practice for a reason. He looked tentative, indecisive and inaccurate. And yes, it was just the first practice.

Frye wasn't a lot better. His ``marching orders'' this offseason call for fewer forced throws and fewer turnovers, but he threw three interceptions in six passes.

The best quarterback that one day? Derek Anderson. Don't ignore him in the quarterback derby.

Coach Romeo Crennel did not seem overly concerned about the quarterback play. ``Generally, what happens is when you're throwing a lot of stuff at guys the first couple days are a little ragged,'' he said. ``And then, about the third day you begin to see some definite improvement.''

Which means that the practice that's open Tuesday will be a tiny bit more interesting, but not nearly as interesting as training camp.

The practice was open by mandate of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who has increased media access to teams and players. Three offseason workouts must be open, and no longer can teams and coaches arbitrarily ban assistant coaches from talking to the media. Assistants must be available on ``a reasonable basis'' (which might be open to interpretation), coordinators must be available at least every other week during the season and no longer can a player or group of players refuse to talk to the media. Among other rules, players must talk after games -- no more ducking out the side door when things are controversial. Clearly, Goodell would like to see better access and openness from teams and players.

Yes, offseason workouts are voluntary. But former Browns quarterback Ty Detmer once said that in the NFL voluntary means, ``You better be here.'' That's as good a description of the NFL dictionary as any. So when wide receiver Braylon Edwards was not present, it raised eyebrows. Nothing can be done, of course, because the practice was voluntary. And Edwards arrived and practiced Wednesday. But when a player ends a season like Edwards did last season, it's interesting that he'd miss the first workout. Maybe he had a good reason for missing, but it sure seems like the guy who ended the year the way Edwards did would have been the first one there. The day before the workout, Edwards played in a charity golf tournament in Ann Arbor, Mich. The next day he was not in Berea.

The team chose not to say where Edwards was on the first day. Team vice president Bill Bonsiewicz said that Edwards talked to the appropriate people and practiced, and that was all that would be said. Interesting, because if Edwards did have a valid reason, not saying it doesn't help him much. The team didn't have to say anything, of course, but not saying anything kind of leads one to wonder whether Edwards turned right at Toledo instead of left.

The fact that the media, and public, knew about Edwards not showing was a bit of bad luck for the Browns. The team could have chosen, for instance, to open the practice Thursday instead of Tuesday, and the world would have gone on. But the Browns didn't.

Consider the difference between Edwards and tackle Ryan Tucker, who missed several games at the end of last season with mental-health issues. Tucker's situation was extremely challenging, yet he stood up and said he needed to earn back the respect of his teammates. The fact that he said that surely indicates that he doesn't need to earn anything back -- he already has it.

This makes Tuesday interesting, because maybe Edwards will address why he missed.

And yes, it's voluntary. And yes, it's an offseason practice. So perhaps it should be kept in a little more perspective. But no, it's not a slow news day. Edwards drew this kind of attention to himself with the things he did last season.

Without Edwards, the team's receiving corps looks pretty thin. Addressing the depth at the position, Crennel said: ``At the top of it, we feel like we have decent ability. We have Braylon if he is here and ready to go. (Joe) Jurevicius, we know that he can play. (Travis) Wilson still has to prove himself, but the top of it is pretty decent. (Joshua) Cribbs, he's played. It's not like you're starting from scratch at that position.''

If Tucker is back and complete, the Browns' line will be complete. Crennel has often said that Tucker plays well at right tackle, so his presence will mean much. ``I'm still encouraged by him because he wants to be here and he wants to get it done and he is working hard to make it happen. Right now it looks pretty good,'' Crennel said.

Frye on new running back Jamal Lewis: ``The biggest difference that I see in Jamal is how fast he hits the hole. He gets that ball and he is full trucking going through that hole. That's good because the types of plays that we are going to be running are hard and straight-ahead runs.''

Cornerback Leigh Bodden didn't practice, because he needed offseason surgery on his ankle. He should be ready for training camp

ben2hines=6
05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
haha man week 1 is going to be a GREAT time.....we get to destroy the stains and they're new hope and coach tomlin gets his first win, man i cant wait for sept 9th

fansince'76
05-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it - most QBs aren't in synch during the first practice after several months off. After all, Tomlin called Ben out for having a bad practice recently as well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it - most QBs aren't in synch during the first practice after several months off. After all, Tomlin called Ben out for having a bad practice recently as well.

BUT....Tomlin can tell Ben to "get a better grip on the ball"....without fear of having another embarrassing photo session.

MACH1
05-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Bet he likes being under center fondling that sack. :sofunny:

rbryan
05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
That just about sums up the Browns. The only one looking good is the guy standing on the sidelines not doing anything.

Bold prediction: Brady Quinn will be as big a flop as Tim Couch (I guess this hardly qualifies as a BOLD prediction)

Edman
05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Reminds me of a certain Omar Jacobs having trouble with the Steelers' playbook and style. Fans quickly dismissed it, and look what happened. If anything, I wouldn't take this lightly.

Brady Quinn may have a bit of an excuse, he's a rookie. But Frye boy doesn't.

I remember all of the Brown fans anointing Charlie Frye as "better than Ben" and "The next big thing in Cleveland". I am quite shocked at Edwards. For all that "We're gonna be good, we're better than the Steelers" talk he made this past month, I'm surprised he didn't show. Oh well.

rbryan
05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Guess the FO didn't have the same confidence in Frye either. Why else give up a one and a two for BQ ( aka Brownie Queen)

stlrtruck
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
That just about sums up the Browns. The only one looking good is the guy standing on the sidelines not doing anything.

Bold prediction: Brady Quinn will be as big a flop as Tim Couch (I guess this hardly qualifies as a BOLD prediction)

Come on, even BQ can't be that bad. I predict he'll at least get the club to .500 sometime in his career.

rbryan
05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Come on, even BQ can't be that bad. I predict he'll at least get the club to .500 sometime in his career.

Now that is a BOLD prediction.

Elvis
05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Winslow... hmmmm
Quinn... give the young guy a chance to prove all those nay sayers... he will end up better than that Raider guy!! Mark it down... He will be better..
:tt02:

stlrtruck
05-30-2007, 02:09 PM
I've been thinking about this thread a lot the last few days and it finally dawned on me...

To say that anything in Cleveland is looking good, is like saying, "At least the water doesn't have brown chunks in it."

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I've been thinking about this thread a lot the last few days and it finally dawned on me...

To say that anything in Cleveland is looking good, is like saying, "At least the water doesn't have brown chunks in it."

:sofunny::thumbsup::toofunny: