PDA

View Full Version : Media speculation about baby bothers Brady

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 05:57 PM
On the subject of bad conduct by QBs not named Vick, All-Pro narcissist Tom Brady apparently does not like the nicks to his image created by fathering a child out of wedlock.

Brady, 29, is expecting his first child with actress Bridget Moynahan, whom he broke up with in December. Brady is now dating model Gisele Bundchen. "It doesn't affect anyone but me anyway, so why is it a big deal?" Brady said, according to Details magazine.

Maybe because it might help a child to be raised by two parents?

With regard to moving on from the mother of his child to his latest squeeze

"I'm attracted to women who are smart and funny and ambitious and have lives of their own and great families. Isn't that what attracts anyone?" he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18922873/

What a tool. No indication as to whether there was any follow-up from Tom Terrific on how his conduct will enhance the great family life of his child.

I am no Vick fan, but why Vick legitimately gets trashed while Brady's conduct is passed off as a lifestyle choice raises some interesting questions about double standards for behavior by white and black QBs.

Livinginthe past
05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Maybe because it truly is no-one elses business but Bridget and Tom's?

I like a laugh at Brady's escapades (the ridiculous camp photoshoots etc etc) as the next man, but even putting him in the same paragraph as Vick does him a great dis-service.

So he is going to have a child out of wedlock, which is far from ideal, but plenty of people go through the same situation without it becoming a national news story.

And yeah, I know people like to throw the 'Tom Terrific' thing back in his face - I guess thats his fault for winning 3 rings so early in his career.

In the interests of fairness i'll include a comment from the article that portrays Tom in a more human light (to compensate for the sub-human comparison with Vick)

"I want to prepare for it the way I do everything else in my life," Brady said, Details reported. "I make lists. I make plans. But being a father is different. I think that people go into it and find out, holy (bleep), I have no control."

Im surprised at you bringing the subject of race into this, Dan - if people want to condemn young black men for having children outside marriage thats their lookout - I don't see why Tom should have to answer for peoples racial prejudices.

That was pretty 'ESPN' I have to say - inflaming the situation with an element that plainly doesn't exist.

This another example of the media potraying someone in an unrealistic way and then looking to knock them down - just like the All-Star Angel All-round Good Guy Patriots.

Holding Tom to this lame, unasked for Mr. Perfect standard is wrong but hardly surprising.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Vick may have committed a crime. Having an "illegitimate" child is no longer newsworthy. I don't think its a black/ white QB issue.

boLT fan
05-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Vick: Fights dogs = Against the law

Brady: Gets around = Own choice, no one else's business.

Bottom line. Pretty sad you had to bring race into it.

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Maybe because it truly is no-one elses business but Bridget and Tom's?

I like a laugh at Brady's escapades (the ridiculous camp photoshoots etc etc) as the next man, but even putting him in the same paragraph as Vick does him a great dis-service.

So he is going to have a child out of wedlock, which is far from ideal, but plenty of people go through the same situation without it becoming a national news story.

And yeah, I know people like to throw the 'Tom Terrific' thing back in his face - I guess thats his fault for winning 3 rings so early in his career.

Im surprised at you bringing the subject of race into this, Dan - if people want to condemn young black men for having children outside marriage thats their lookout - I don't see why Tom should have to answer for people racial prejudices.

That was pretty 'ESPN' I have to say - inflaming the situation with another element that doesn't exist (race)

Nice try to accuse me of playing the race card. My point is that if Brady was black he would be getting a lot more heat on this - Sports Illustrated ran a cover story several years ago on NBA players having kids out of wedlock - not many fair haired jocks in that story. Is that racist - you betcha - but don't blame me for pointing it out.

Brady needs to take the poison with the gift of celebrity - if he plays off his pubic image to get endorsement deals then he cannot claim it is a private matter when he is in the public eye for some "escapade" other than throwing TD passes or posing for GQ.

So far Vick has been proven to have carried a false water bottle through a airport checkpoint, missed a flight to DC and probably attended a dogfight - Brady has fathered a kid out of wedlock and is trying to portray himself as the victim. Based on what is proven fact as opposed to speculation I have no problem putting the sainted Tom Brady in the same paragraph as Vick.

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Vick: Fights dogs = Against the law

Brady: Gets around = Own choice, no one else's business.

Bottom line. Pretty sad you had to bring race into it.

If it is your own business then why give an interview to Details about it?

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
In the interests of fairness i'll include a comment from the article that portrays Tom in a more human light (to compensate for the sub-human comparison with Vick)

Quote:
"I want to prepare for it the way I do everything else in my life," Brady said, Details reported. "I make lists. I make plans. But being a father is different. I think that people go into it and find out, holy (bleep), I have no control."

LITP - this was not in your post until you edited it, so i will reply here

Assuming his-ex did not pull the goalie on him without his knowledge, walk me through what part of having a child and then leaving the mother involved preparing for this like everything else in his life?

And "sub-human comparison to Vick?"

boLT fan
05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Nice try to accuse me of playing the race card. My point is that if Brady was black he would be getting a lot more heat on this - Sports Illustrated ran a cover story several years ago on NBA players having kids out of wedlock - not many fair haired jocks in that story. Is that racist - you betcha - but don't blame me for pointing it out.

:dang:

WTH does this even matter at all? Do you really hate Brady that much.

rbryan
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
This Bridgette sounds like a real swell girl. She might be an actress, but she's no dummy. Poor Tom, probably never saw it coming. This could end up being her best role yet.

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 07:27 PM
:dang:

WTH does this even matter at all? Do you really hate Brady that much.

Hey - it is the offseason and Brady's story is getting play on MSNBC.com:smile:

But having been accused of playing the race card by LITP and you (at least you did not accuse me of being a racist this time like you did several months ago when we exchanged posts on the NFL's diversity rule) I do not think it was inappropriate to respond to LITP's post.

Livinginthe past
05-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Brady needs to take the poison with the gift of celebrity - if he plays off his pubic image to get endorsement deals then he cannot claim it is a private matter when he is in the public eye for some "escapade" other than throwing TD passes or posing for GQ.

So far Vick has been proven to have carried a false water bottle through a airport checkpoint, missed a flight to DC and probably attended a dogfight - Brady has fathered a kid out of wedlock and is trying to portray himself as the victim. Based on what is proven fact as opposed to speculation I have no problem putting the sainted Tom Brady in the same paragraph as Vick.

Well, isn't that what you are doing?

You directly mention Vick and then mention 'double standards for behavior by white and black QBs' - I don't see how that can be construed as anything other than playing the race card.

My point was, just because some of the population choose to judge black pro-sports players to a different standard because of racial prejudice it shouldn't impact on how we look at Brady's situation.

Basically, you appear ot be saying that because a black guy is subjected to unfair levels of scrutiny and press intrusion that a white guy should get the same treatement - two wrongs don't make a right.

I also don't get where Brady is trying to portray himself as the victim?

He simply asks what the big deal is - thats not exactly a celebrity hissy fit is it?

And go ahead and use terms like 'the sainted Tom Brady' because I don't remember the guy ever asking for that title - he's been a clean living kid, who happens to be photogenic and a success in his chosen sport - ......big deal as Tom would say.

Im not one of those guys who thinks pro-sports stars have basically signed away to any privacy in their lives when they play their first snap in the NFL - people want to judge and get morally superior...thats big business, im sure.

I don't know many people who would put Vick and Brady in the same paragraph, but thats fine each to their own.

Livinginthe past
05-29-2007, 07:31 PM
LITP - this was not in your post until you edited it, so i will reply here

Assuming his-ex did not pull the goalie on him without his knowledge, walk me through what part of having a child and then leaving the mother involved preparing for this like everything else in his life?

Thats his own business - I don't see why Tom has to justify to anyone how he chooses to conduct his private life.

And you asked - 'so why does he conduct interviews?' - the answer is he in the public eye (and yes he does put himself there) and a refusal to comment on the subject is often seen as an admission of guilt to people who enjoy these gossip magazines.

And "sub-human comparison to Vick?"

Sure, I regard Vick's alleged behaviour to be below the standards I attribute to a normal civilised human being.

tony hipchest
05-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Assuming his-ex did not pull the goalie on him

:toofunny: ive never heard that. instant classic!

poor tom and his private life. if it was that big a concern to him, i doubt he would choose his latest flings by flipping through the pages of "people" magazine or "victorias secret". tom needs to act like a big boy and realize certain things come with the territory. whether its betting on dogs, or $10,000 per hole in a skins game or knocking up 2 different women in the span of a month, people are gonna take notice. if he dont wanna be noticed, he can do something about it besides play stupid and ask the media "whats the big deal" like was he born yesterday.

in the meantime him and his babys momma have the tough decision to make of what fishwrap they will sell their babys 1st photos too.

i agree with atl dan. if this were donovan mcnabb he would be called the next shawn kemp. but since its brady, everybody should respect his so called "privacy". hes no different from anybody else in the public eye. you think bill clinton cried about his "privacy" not being respected when he was getting a job in the oval? how bout eddie murphy or hugh grant soliciting prostitutes?

but i guess we should all feel sorry for brady having the "golden boy" crown placed on his head by the big, bad, mean, ol media. :violin: he embraced it just like allen iverson embraced the "thug" image attributed to him. its meant $$$$ for both of them and its too late to be having buyers remorse.

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2007, 09:39 PM
:toofunny: ive never heard that. instant classic!

Stole it from Sports Guy Bill Simmons:sofunny:

GBMelBlount
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm surprised this is even happening. I had heard that Brady's "Leetle Friends" had much farther to travel than most.

X-Terminator
05-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Listen people, whether Tom Brady chose to be in the media spotlight or not, the fact of the matter is that fathering a child out of wedlock and then leaving the mother for another woman does NOT look good for his image one single bit. It looks like he is shirking his responsibilities as a father, even if he has every intention of being involved in the baby's life. Like it or not, a lot of people frown on that sort of thing, and it does not matter if it's Tom Brady or Tom the plumber.

But hey, if you all want to pass it off as "no big deal" and give him a free pass, that's your prerogative. And I also agree with Atlanta Dan that had this been a black athlete, I guarantee you it would have gotten more media attention. It's unfortunate, and you guys might not want to hear it, but that's just the way it is.

Crushzilla
05-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Well if the mother is having trouble raising the kid, Tom can always offer part of that huge forehead as shelter...

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Listen people, whether Tom Brady chose to be in the media spotlight or not, the fact of the matter is that fathering a child out of wedlock and then leaving the mother for another woman does NOT look good for his image one single bit. It looks like he is shirking his responsibilities as a father, even if he has every intention of being involved in the baby's life. Like it or not, a lot of people frown on that sort of thing, and it does not matter if it's Tom Brady or Tom the plumber.

But hey, if you all want to pass it off as "no big deal" and give him a free pass, that's your prerogative. And I also agree with Atlanta Dan that had this been a black athlete, I guarantee you it would have gotten more media attention. It's unfortunate, and you guys might not want to hear it, but that's just the way it is.

Its a bit of an insult that anyone on this forum thinks they can 'enlighten' others that racist double standards exist in pro-sports and its media!

Seriously, what 'news' exclusive is going to break next?

'Profootballer suspected of oversized ego'?

Sanctamonius, self righteous BS from first word to last.

Frown away, by all means - Santonio Holmes married the mother of any his 3 kids?

Crushzilla
05-30-2007, 06:03 AM
The Santonio situation caught some real press hear in Western PA if I remember correctly. I don't really watch a lot of the news, but I remember seeing things about it.

He's also not one of the poster children of the NFL.

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 06:06 AM
The Santonio situation caught some real press hear in Western PA if I remember correctly. I don't really watch a lot of the news, but I remember seeing things about it.

He's also not one of the poster children of the NFL.

So the fact Brady is a 'poster child' (ie he has actually achieved something) is a factor in the well being of his offspring?

I didn't realise there was a direct relationship between achieving success in your profession and the ability to raise a child outside of a marriage.

Learn something everyday.

Crushzilla
05-30-2007, 06:13 AM
So the fact Brady is a 'poster child' (ie he has actually achieved something) is a factor in the well being of his offspring?

I didn't realise there was a direct relationship between achieving success in your profession and the ability to raise a child outside of a marriage.

Learn something everyday.

That's the thing. He HAS achieved something, that's why its so surprising that it hasn't blown up in the media. Santonio's situation was reported here extensively (especially his domestic problems with the law, i think it was) before he even stepped on the field. If Holmes were a bigger deal in the league, it may be a bigger issue.

Personally, where Tom sticks his... quarterback... is his b. I'm not sweatin' it.

Sh*t he's probably better off because he is doing much better than Holmes in the back pocket.

TackleMeBen
05-30-2007, 06:45 AM
This Bridgette sounds like a real swell girl. She might be an actress, but she's no dummy. Poor Tom, probably never saw it coming. This could end up being her best role yet.

i couldnt agree more. i have always thought she trapped poor tom on this one. maybe when she said i want to have children he should have stopped poking it..lol

X-Terminator
05-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Its a bit of an insult that anyone on this forum thinks they can 'enlighten' others that racist double standards exist in pro-sports and its media!

I don't see where I'm insulting anyone by saying what I said...all I see is me stating my opinion. If anyone's insulted by it, it's THEIR problem.

Again, all I'm doing is stating my opinion. I'm a realist who doesn't try to sugarcoat anything and chooses NOT to bury my head in the sand. I simply tell it like it is and say what's on my mind. Sorry if you don't like it.

Frown away, by all means - Santonio Holmes married the mother of any his 3 kids?

Oh, I get it - you're upset because I made these statements regarding Tom Brady's conduct and assuming (incorrectly) that I'm doing so because he's a Patriot. Why else would you bring up Santonio Holmes? My comments have absolutely nothing to do with any like or dislike of Tom Brady - once again, it's simply my opinion. And just to answer your rather flippant question, NO, he is not married the mother of his children...and that makes him just as wrong, IN MY OPINION. Being an athlete doesn't mean you're any better than anyone else, nor does it make you immune from certain criticisms that "the average Joe" would receive for any conduct that some people might view as inappropriate.

rbryan
05-30-2007, 06:56 AM
i couldnt agree more. i have always thought she trapped poor tom on this one. maybe when she said i want to have children he should have stopped poking it..lol

Maybe she just ACTED like she was on birth control. lol I never could quite figure out why our society puts actors/actresses on such a pedestal. Pretending to be someone other than yourself never struck me as a great attribute.

Atlanta Dan
05-30-2007, 07:00 AM

Seriously, what 'news' exclusive is going to break next?

'Profootballer suspected of oversized ego'?

Sorry if you were insulted - I was not trying to enlighten anyone, simply pointing out that the sexual promiscuity of black athletes is constantly tossed up as an example of thir irresponsibility while one of the 2 top pro QBs in the game has the audacity to claim he is planning for fatherhood in the same manner he approaches everything else in his life - if Brady handled his day job like he is handling his approach to fatherhood he would not be a back-up in the Arena League.

Sanctimonious self-righteous BS is a pro athlete giving an interview to Details while bemoanaing he wants to maintain privacy and responding to any reference to a racial double standard by claiming that race is improperly being "interjected" into a discussion. If you check out my posts on Vick I think you will see I am not an apologist for the conduct of black QBs.

I was expressing an opinion, which is pretty much what goes on around here - apparently I hit a nerve.

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Sorry if you were insulted - I was not trying to enlighten anyone, simply pointing out that the sexual promiscuity of black athletes is constantly tossed up as an example of thir irresponsibility while one of the 2 top pro QBs in the game has the audacity to claim he is planning for fatherhood in the same manner he approaches everything else in his life - if Brady handled his day job like he is handling his approach to fatherhood he would not be a back-up in the Arena League.

Sanctimonious self-righteous BS is a pro athlete giving an interview to Details while bemoanaing he wants to maintain privacy and responding to any reference to a racial double standard by claiming that race is improperly being "interjected" into a discussion. If you check out my posts on Vick I think you will see I am not an apologist for the conduct of black QBs.

I was expressing an opinion, which is pretty much what goes on around here - apparently I hit a nerve.

Ok then.

Lets say that your average Joe is totally unaware that racism exists in pro-sports and now after your post drawing their attention to it they are suddenly enlightened.

Lets move on to the your claim that Brady is 'bemoaning his lack of privacy'.

Where is that exactly?

Is that the bit where he says it 'it doesn't affect anyone but him and its no big deal'?

LIke I said before, that hardly constitutes a celebrity hissy fit does it?

Im sure Brady would prefer total privacy whenever he wanted but he knows thats not how it works.

Thats why I don't see him filing any law suits/injunctions to stop people discussing the subject.

Maybe you misunderstood this comment regarding his preperation for the new baby?

Brady, who has won three Super Bowls with the Patriots, said he isn't scared but considers fatherhood "a huge unknown," Details magazine reported.

What he is saying is that his natural reaction was to make lists, make plans etc but that that being a father is different - that the problems that are going to arise aren't as staright forward as gameplanning for an NFL match up.

Mountain out of a molehill.

And Dan, you know I enjoy a good back'n'forth - I certainly defend your right to post these thoughts even of I strongly disagree with them.

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
I don't see where I'm insulting anyone by saying what I said...all I see is me stating my opinion. If anyone's insulted by it, it's THEIR problem.

Again, all I'm doing is stating my opinion. I'm a realist who doesn't try to sugarcoat anything and chooses NOT to bury my head in the sand. I simply tell it like it is and say what's on my mind. Sorry if you don't like it.

Oh, I get it - you're upset because I made these statements regarding Tom Brady's conduct and assuming (incorrectly) that I'm doing so because he's a Patriot. Why else would you bring up Santonio Holmes? My comments have absolutely nothing to do with any like or dislike of Tom Brady - once again, it's simply my opinion. And just to answer your rather flippant question, NO, he is not married the mother of his children...and that makes him just as wrong, IN MY OPINION. Being an athlete doesn't mean you're any better than anyone else, nor does it make you immune from certain criticisms that "the average Joe" would receive for any conduct that some people might view as inappropriate.

Well you are right - I disagree with pretty much everything you posted on the subject.

But you know, thats what the boards for - like I said to Dan you are going to get different viewpoints and thats cool.

stlrtruck
05-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Comparing the two QB is a bit outrageous.

Vick broke a federal law and has been sliding by the last few months. People have definitely looked the other way for ESPN's poster child.

Brady, although I don't agree with his comments, only went out and had unprotected sex and now he's got little Tom on the way. Our society has made is socially acceptable for men and women to go out and do whatever they please with their bodies. The only thing I'm disappointed in Brady about is the lack of responsibility he is showing. What kills me is that Brady was able to man up in the sack and now he's afraid to man up as a father. Yes, Mr. Brady, welcome to the real world of fatherhood. Once that baby gets here you have very little control and as they grow older, you have less and less control, and eventually you lose it all and your sanity too (ask me how I know).

So you know what? Atlanta Dan, maybe you have a good point. Putting those two in the same sentence isn't such a bad thing after all. I mean both of them are being irresponsible for someone or something else's life.

Atlanta Dan
05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
This is not a defense of Vick, but having closely followed the Duke lacrosse fiasco I have been reminded that it is easy to accuse somone of conduct and for the public to run with unproven accusations that fit into a comfortable stereotype.

At this point Vick has not been proven to have violated any federal or state laws or for that matter indicted (not that an indictment is particularly difficult to obtain).

X-Terminator
05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Well you are right - I disagree with pretty much everything you posted on the subject.

But you know, thats what the boards for - like I said to Dan you are going to get different viewpoints and thats cool.

Not a problem, man - I completely respect your opinion on the matter. The world would be pretty boring if everyone agreed with everything. This is just a subject I feel very strongly about for personal reasons, and I tend to speak up rather forcefully whenever such subjects arise. It isn't personal, and shouldn't be taken as such. Anyway, I've said my peace and will be moving on.

rbryan
05-30-2007, 11:47 AM
This is not a defense of Vick, but having closely followed the Duke lacrosse fiasco I have been reminded that it is easy to accuse somone of conduct and for the public to run with unproven accusations that fit into a comfortable stereotype.

At this point Vick has not been proven to have violated any federal or state laws or for that matter indicted (not that an indictment is particularly difficult to obtain).

Not trying to stick up for Vick either but we do still live in America. Innocent until proven guilty??? Ring a bell ???

It may very well turn out that he is guilty, but until you have something more concrete than Skippy the locker room girl from ESPN's interview with a CONFESSED scumbad who won't even show his face, I think those who have already convicted him need to realize that YOU really don't know the truth. At least not yet.

Can't help but wonder if ESPN would be pushing this story so hard if he played for say NEW ENGLAND??

Atlanta Dan
05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Can't help but wonder if ESPN would be pushing this story so hard if he played for say NEW ENGLAND??

Umm - If Brady allegedly was involved in dog fighting (and Belichick played the role of Portis by claiming dog fighting is a lifestyle choice) I am pretty confident ESPN still would be riding the story to death.

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Maybe because it truly is no-one elses business but Bridget and Tom's?it looks like bradys fans are more bothered than the media speculation than brady is. but that makes sense considering it was the fans and not the media who built bradys godlike status.

news sells and brady is a national figure. you could almost compare him to princess dianna if you believe all the slobbering the patfans do over brady. infact brady was built up to be so great he was gonna keep peyton manning stuck in a career of mediocrity and never being able to 'win the big one.

And yeah, I know people like to throw the 'Tom Terrific' thing back in his face - I guess thats his fault for winning 3 rings so early in his career.again thats not from the media or other fans. the patriots created tom in that image. remember it was the media and other fans who never gave the pats and tom enough credit. they actually had the audacity to "disrespect" them.

Im surprised at you bringing the subject of race into this, Dan - if people want to condemn young black men for having children outside marriage thats their lookout - I don't see why Tom should have to answer for peoples racial prejudices. toms not feeling the wrath of anyones prejudices. but whats it say when his fans expect him to be exempt because hes white?

That was pretty 'ESPN' I have to say - inflaming the situation with an element that plainly doesn't exist.

This another example of the media potraying someone in an unrealistic way and then looking to knock them down - just like the All-Star Angel All-round Good Guy Patriots.
again... blaming the media for the hype the patriot fans created. while the media was busy disrespecting brady and his godlike talents, it was the patriot fans who said "all we need is bill and brady". weiss and crennell gone? "we got bill and brady". ty law and milloy gone? "we got bill and brady". vinatieri, branch, and and mangini gone? "we got bill and brady...theyre the best ever and all we need".

Holding Tom to this lame, unasked for Mr. Perfect standard is wrong but hardly surprising its hardly unasked for. the patfans practically begged for this standard. believe it or not the media (and especially local media) keep their finger on the pulse of the fans. looks like the patfans got what they asked for but dont want to take the good with the bad. their pristine image of their hero in his lombardi trophy coat of armor has a few chi nks in it, and they dont like it. neither does tom. thats funny.

on a sidenote tom can take comfort that he is not alone. since his favorite baseball team is the yankees, i would assume fellow golden boy alex rodriguez is his favorite player. a-rods piccture was splashed across the new york post today leaving a strip club with a woman who is not his wife :jawdrop: with the headline stray-rod. :chuckle:

i think tom needs a cool 4-letter nickname shortening his name. how bout T-Bra? :sofunny: maybe not. sounds like something for a 12 year old girl (much like bradyfans whining does).

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2007, 05:50 PM
i think tom needs a cool 4-letter nickname shortening his name. how bout T-Bra? :sofunny: maybe not. sounds like something for a 12 year old girl (much like bradyfans whining does).
ohhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP !!!!!!! :sofunny:

revefsreleets
05-30-2007, 05:53 PM
It's funny, and I apologize, but I can't help thinking I should be hearing the chants of "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" in this thread.