PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs & Duds

Indy_Steelers
05-29-2007, 07:50 PM
http://www.steelertribute.com/75/index.php?

If you go to this website you can register and vote for the all time underachievers and underrated players. It is their fun way to celebrate the 75th anniversary.

yinzer-inseattle
05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
that was a lot of fun. thanks for posting LJ71

The Duke
05-29-2007, 10:22 PM
"Staley's uniform during his two seasons in Pittsburgh consisted of a gray sweatshirt with matching sweat pants"

classic :dang:

abgroove
05-30-2007, 08:21 AM
"Staley's uniform during his two seasons in Pittsburgh consisted of a gray sweatshirt with matching sweat pants"

classic :dang:

I have worn that same uniform to the Steeler bars in Atlanta :tt02:

klick81
05-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I read all those...as funny as some of them were, that took wayyyyy too much of my time. LOL...

onthebus36
05-30-2007, 10:27 AM
I remember seeing an article somewhere that took Duce's salary for last season and divided it by his carries and it came out to something like $58,000.00 a carry.

Let's hope Kevan Barlow has better luck with #22.

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I remember seeing an article somewhere that took Duce's salary for last season and divided it by his carries and it came out to something like $58,000.00 a carry.

Let's hope Kevan Barlow has better luck with #22.

Ouch, if you look at the comparative cap hits/production of Willie Parker and Duce Staley in the 3 years they have been Steelers it hits home even more.

Willie Parker

Total Cap Hit (3 years) - $1.9million
Total Yards - 2882

Total Cost Per Yard - $660

Duce Staley

Total Cap Hit (3 years) - $6million
Total Yards - 978

Total Cost Per Yard - $6134

Willie does represent tremendous value, but Staley has cost just under 10 times as much per yard - pretty shocking.

That distance will get wider this year as Staley is worth a $3.8million cap hit this year and a $3.1million cap hit next year - with absolutely no production for it.

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
That distance will get wider this year as Staley is worth a $3.8million cap hit this year and a $3.1million cap hit next year - with absolutely no production for it.did the patriots unofficial capologist provide you with those numbers or was it PFT? perhaps your just having some more offseason fun by spreading steeler "doom and gloom" and just making stuff up. since i have already corrected you on the above figures i would guess its the latter.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16852

Duce Staley

2007 - $3.9million
2008 - $3.2million

What are the Steeler nations thoughts on these numbers?

so is it 3.1 or 3.2? doesnt matter cause theyre both wrong. duce was fired and his signing bonus will be off the books in 08. as previously quoted:

On or around December 4, 2006, Staley was cut. This resulted in dead money. Since he is a veteran with who was on the opening day roster, his base salary is guaranteed and counts in full. In addition, his prorated signing bonus for 2006 ($1,171,250) will count on the 2006 salary cap. The remainder of his prorated signing bonus ($2,342,500 – dead money) counts towards the 2007 salary cap. His cap value for 2006 remains the same ($2,671,250).

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Ha ha.

No, I used figures from a previously solid source: www.steelersalarycap.com

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/staley.jpg

It does have a comment at the bottom saying that the 'signing bonus' will be paid off in a single year but the actual cap hit of $3.1million for 2008 still shows on the chart.

Thats basically what im going off - if you are sure that the rest of that cap hit is nullified, then fair enough that wasn't my understanding of the situation.

Steeler nation breathes a sigh of relief im sure, and the posters at Steeler Fever are safe again from the prospect of 'doom and gloom' spread by a guy quoting from a site called steelersalarycap no less :toofunny:

Anyway it doesn't detract from the original thrust of my post - Duce Staley has cost 10 times more than Willie Parker per yard during their 3 year spells with the team.

And thats pretty shocking.

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 03:42 PM
you do understand that duce staley was cut, and that "base salary" only counts as a "cap hit" if you actually employ that player, right? i think youre confusing a players cap value with their cap hit. either that or you still think staley is on the roster.

since he was fired his base salary of $4,690,000 (for the 2 remaining) is out the door with him and all that remains is the $2,342,500 pro rated portion of his signing bonus, which is paid off in lump sum rather than being pro rated (as per league rules).

No, I used figures from a previously solid source: www.steelersalarycap.com

id say its still a pretty solid source if you understand what youre reading.

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
mental note.....:tap: reading comprehension is fundemntal...:tap: reading comprehension is..........

Livinginthe past
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
you do understand that duce staley was cut, and that "base salary" only counts as a "cap hit" if you actually employ that player, right? i think youre confusing a players cap value with their cap hit. either that or you still think staley is on the roster.

since he was fired his base salary of $4,690,000 (for the 2 remaining) is out the door with him and all that remains is the $2,342,500 pro rated portion of his signing bonus, which is paid off in lump sum rather than being pro rated (as per league rules).

id say its still a pretty solid source if you understand what youre reading.

Aha.

Ok I knew he was cut, but didn't tally that up with the number for the 2008 cap hit straight away.

Like I say, that was kind of an after thought (the remaining years) - the main point was a demonstration in the differing values between two Steelers RB's over the last 3 years.

The Steelers normally do pretty well with FA acquisitions - is it fair to say this was a relatively rare trip into the high end of the market that backfired spectacularly?

The other issue of course, is the amazingly good value Willie Parker has been for the last few years - he must be the best $/yard RB in the NFL at this point.

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Aha.

Ok I knew he was cut, but didn't tally that up with the number for the 2008 cap hit straight away.

Like I say, that was kind of an after thought (the remaining years) - the main point was a demonstration in the differing values between two Steelers RB's over the last 3 years.

The Steelers normally do pretty well with FA acquisitions - is it fair to say this was a relatively rare trip into the high end of the market that backfired spectacularly?

The other issue of course, is the amazingly good value Willie Parker has been for the last few years - he must be the best $/yard RB in the NFL at this point.what is shocking is if
you take into account the steelers winning a sb with willie parkers absolute minimum salary of a non veterans UFA, coupled with a hall of fame running back making millions less than his peers (such as emmitt smith, curtis martin, marshall faulk) and the steelers really didnt have too much of their cap % tied up in the hb/fb spot.

onthebus36
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
"he must be the best $/yard RB in the NFL at this point."

That would be an interesting exercise. 2006 salary and bonuses divided by yards would be a really interesting stat to see.

revefsreleets
05-30-2007, 06:43 PM
I thought it was great that Vinnie "Interceptaverde" made the all time greatest unheralded team. He earned that spot!