PDA

View Full Version : Steelers take look at Colon with first team at right tackle

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 09:27 PM
from the homepage-

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18400649&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=468632&rfi=6

(colon on possibly taking the starting spot away from max starks):

"I think I do have a legitimate shot. I think that's obvious," Colon said. "I've been working just as hard as him, if not harder. It's for him to try to maintain and for me to take. That's my mentality."

big ben- "theres no way the coaches in the past woulda given a rookie this shot over a fat and out of shape veteran."

:chuckle: ok. just kidding on the big ben part. starks better take the pack of hotdogs off the back of his neck and watch his back. the article is good (jim wexell) check it out.

TackleMeBen
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
from the homepage-

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18400649&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=468632&rfi=6

(colon on possibly taking the starting spot away from max starks):

big ben- "theres no way the coaches in the past woulda given a rookie this shot over a fat and out of shape veteran."

:chuckle: ok. just kidding on the big ben part. starks better take the pack of hotdogs off the back of his neck and watch his back. the article is good (jim wexell) check it out.

tony

you know you are going to get the haters going with that line..lol..

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 09:41 PM
tony

you know you are going to get the haters going with that line..lol..

what line????

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

TackleMeBen
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
what line????

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

you really need to stop with that... i am going to have dreams about cheese now :banana:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2007, 09:44 PM
The line Tony made up is true though,Cowher stuck with his vets even when they no longer should have been starting.He had a quick hook for young players,and he gave vets a very long leash.That would be my only real complaint about Cowher.

SteelShooter
05-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Well..........it's about time he got a legitimate shot.

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2007, 11:27 PM

:sofunny:

All in time.

BTW, Bill Cowher and George Bush hate Willie Colon. They have underutilized him and have held him back. Cowher is just like, like, like, like a "hater" yo. :cheer:

rbryan
05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
PRACTICE!!!!!!!! We're talking about practice?????? LOL, just kidding

I say we make a package deal right now. Faneca and Starks to Arizona. Neither one will be here next year. Colon and "Kemo eat u" are the future. It might be painful but I don't see it playing out any worse than a disinterested Faneca / Starks combo.

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2007, 11:41 PM
"Kemo eat u"

Didn't this guy rip another players eye out with his cleat back in his college days? lol.

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
:sofunny:

All in time.

BTW, Bill Cowher and George Bush hate Willie Colon. They have underutilized him and have held him back. Cowher is just a "hater" yo.lol. i wonder what willie colon thinks of the previous regime? doesnt matter and i guess we will never know, i sure like his approach though.

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
on behalf of starks, i really wanna see him succeed (not to the point where he commands j. ogden type of money though- cause if thats the case he's as good as gone). as it is he may be good as gone and make a kings ransom with another team. he is a bohemoth and i woulda really liked him to prove he was worthy of resigning to a lucrative deal (by the steelers standards) on the "cheap".

i have no problem replacing him with colon though, so he can go sign a $50 mil contract with the cowboys :wink:

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
lol. i wonder what willie colon thinks of the previous regime? doesnt matter and i guess we will never know, i sure like his approach though.

I'm sure Willie is just waiting for the reporters to ask his opinion because we all know how he desperately craves the attention. :wink02:

tony hipchest
05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Didn't this guy rip another players eye out with his cleat back in his college days? lol.alex smith thanks him for it. it only helped propel smith to the #1 pick in the draft, while the "other guy " slipped into the twenties and is rotting on the bench behind brett farve.

83-Steelers-43
05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
on behalf of starks, i really wanna see him succeed (not to the point where he commands j. ogden type of money though- cause if thats the case he's as good as gone). as it is he may be good as gone and make a kings ransom with another team. he is a bohemoth and i woulda really liked him to prove he was worthy of resigning to a lucrative deal (by the steelers standards) on the "cheap".

Boy gotta work on his feet. He was getting torched by guys ten times smaller than him last season. For starters, hopefully he comes into TC with a few less pounds compared to last years TC. Last year it looked like him and Duce stayed up all night in their boxer shorts and ate chicken wings and twinkies all night long.

tony hipchest
05-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Boy gotta work on his feet. He was getting torched by guys ten times smaller than him last season. For starters, hopefully he comes into TC with a few less pounds compared to last years TC. Last year it looked like him and Duce stayed up all night in their boxer shorts and ate chicken wings and twinkies all night long.

unfortunately for him, it may be to late for that. you see rookie linemen drafted in the 4-7th rounds all across the league immediately starting and holding their own. it seem that only the steelers would only start a player drafted in the 1st 2 rounds (simmons, faneca, smith.. or a free agent aquisition- hartings)

maybe that is one of the reasons nobody of the "old regime" is here anymore. just remember it was i who said it and not ben :wink:

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
maybe that is one of the reasons nobody of the "old regime" is here anymore. just remember it was i who said it and not ben :wink:

Don't worry Tony, I will not confuse you with our "team leader" and "franchise" QB. :wink02:

rbryan
05-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Didn't this guy rip another players eye out with his cleat back in his college days? lol.

I believe he bit someones fingers off

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2007, 12:33 AM
I believe he bit someones fingers off

In fact, one of the two 2003 incidents involved a racial epithet being directed at Kemoeatu, something he prefers not to discuss. There was a scuffle along the San Diego State sideline with just 1:46 left in a Utah victory, and Kemoeatu kicked an unidentified Aztecs defender in a pile. He was suspended for the first half of the next game, whereupon he entered in the second half and promptly kicked -- in full view of a television audience -- helmet-less UNLV defensive lineman Howie Fuimaono on the turf. A cleat went into Fuimaono's eye socket, leaving him with headaches and blurred vision for hours afterward.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05149/512243.stm

By the way, the link above is about Mean Joe and his opinion of Kemoeatu. An old read, but a good one IMO.

rbryan
05-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Must have been a different incident. ( Just kidding,I was making that up lol )

However the legend of "Kemo eat u" is born. I'm pretty sure he's mean enough to bite someones arm off.

rbryan
05-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Wheres Howie?? If he only had blurry vision and a headache after that, he might be worth taking a look at.

Galax Steeler
05-31-2007, 04:59 AM
I believe colon can unseat starks for that position.

SteelerWatch
05-31-2007, 08:46 AM
All I can say is HALLELUJAH.

Starks has so much potential but he just doesn't seem to realize that he desperately needs to improve his consistency. One week he's tossing around a 300-pound defensive end like a pitbull on a steak, and the next week he's getting pushed around by an ILB. If he could, on average, play at even 80% of his best days, he'd be a perennial All-Pro.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
The instant the Steelers selected him in the sixth round, the 204th collegian and 13th offensive guard overall, the radio waves spewed with toxic talk likening him to Mean Joe and Jack Lambert.

This is from the article that the link was posted to.

If he plays to the levels of the two HoFers mentioned,we got ourselves one helluva tackle on our hands.And I love that he plays with a mean streak,he'll have no problem blwling a linebacker or defensive end to the turf.

tony hipchest
05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
this may not mean starks days are numbered as a steeler. i just heard on sirius radio commercial break news update that the coaches are taking a look at starks playing left tackle but "he doesnt expect a position change". maybe a little message is being sent to marvel smith to keep his asking price down if and when contract negotiations begin. it never hurts to know what you got, explore all options, and keep an eye towards the future.

DACEB
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Quote:
"I think I do have a legitimate shot. I think that's obvious," Colon said. "I've been working just as hard as him, if not harder. It's for him to try to maintain and for me to take. That's my mentality."

I find this quote very interesting, to me it sure sounds like an attack on Starks. Is this just Colons personality (we already know he's fiesty) or could it possibly be that many on the team look at Starks in a negative way. Either way I like the competitive nature Colon displays and the overall competitive atmosphere these OTAs and offseason have had.

OneForTheToe
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
this may not mean starks days are numbered as a steeler. i just heard on sirius radio commercial break news update that the coaches are taking a look at starks playing left tackle but "he doesnt expect a position change". maybe a little message is being sent to marvel smith to keep his asking price down if and when contract negotiations begin. it never hurts to know what you got, explore all options, and keep an eye towards the future.

I hope you are right that the discussion of moving starks to left tackle is just a message to Smith. Starks on the left is even scarier. How many look out blocks woulf he throw on Ben's blind side? :dang: Smith didn't have a good season either, but at least he has proven to be a capable and dependable tackle in the past. Something Max has yet to proove he is capable of. Also, remember the difference in the play of the line in 2005 from when Smith was hurt to when he returnedto the line-up.