PDA

View Full Version : Morgan satisfied with No. 4 role

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05251/567708.stm

After Hines Ward, Quincy Morgan has more starts than the rest of the Steelers receivers combined but said he'll be happy to serve as their No. 4 man this season.

He hopes to start doing that Sunday against Tennessee.

"If they have plans to put me in the game, I'll be ready," said Morgan, signed Tuesday after the Cowboys released him.

Morgan (6 feet 1, 215 pounds) started 52 games in five seasons in the league. He wasn't happy with his role on the Cowboys after he slipped to No. 4, but that is no problem here, he said.

"That's my spot right now; that's the role I have to play. If it changes, it changes. But right now we have a good group of guys, I'm just coming in, I really don't know this offense but I'm learning."

The Steelers have given him a core of plays to learn quickly so they might use him Sunday.

"He's a very productive, veteran receiver," coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said.

"He's fought the battles, he's been successful. He's a good-sized guy who has good speed, been very productive and made some big plays.

That's exciting to have a guy of that caliber add depth to your team."

Koopa
09-08-2005, 12:40 AM
hopefully him being satisfied with being the 4th option doesn't last long. hopefully he'll compete with ARE and wilson and bring the best out of them cause they don't want to lose thier spots.

SteelersWyo
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
He better be happy with it. He's been sent from team to team because he is not worth much. He's lucky we picked him up.

squirreljr_98
09-08-2005, 11:27 AM
I always liked QM -even when he was with the Brownies...

I think he'll fit in great, just hope he can get that playbook down asap...

Black-n-Gold
09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I always liked QM -even when he was with the Brownies...

I think he'll fit in great, just hope he can get that playbook down asap...

I agree, I have a good feeling about him. Tall, and fast with a good quarterback, he'll have a good year.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
He better be happy with it. He's been sent from team to team because he is not worth much. He's lucky we picked him up.

I tend to agree here.. like I said in another thread. He may have good speed and have good hands and all that; but if he was THAT good he wouldnt be a journeyman WR for last 5 years.

He can help us out Im sure and competition always brings out the best in everyone.

Blitzburgh55
09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
morgan should be the third revceriver wilson sucks

Koopa
09-08-2005, 05:58 PM

what do you mean sent from team to team? he hasn't been sent from team to team, he stayed with the browns for 3 and a half years, and then spent the rest of last year with the cowboys, and now here. he hasn't been sent around like the news papers and internet articles make it out to be. they mention 3 teams in five years, but it's not that bad cause he was with one team for along time. you'll have a different tone when he's catching bombs and scoreing, and he will be starting before this season is over, and then he'll be on his merry way at the end of the season cause he'll have his ring and he'll want more money.

clevestinks
09-09-2005, 04:14 AM

\
I feel the opposite. We needed to add a veteran wr for depth. Wilson hasnt shown much yet. We really dont have a so-called deep threat. Morgan in time may challenge to be the number three guy and possibly number two. I think we are lucky to pick him up at this point.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 08:49 AM
So what if Morgan doesnt show us all that much??? Cedric was touted as a beast WR ,good speed, can stretch the field, though just like morgan..and so far cedric has had a bit of a rough go..and he was supposed to be the answer to plax or atleast help out.. so Im just alittle worried and hope that they dont expect too much from Morgan till we see what he does first. He'll help us out, sure, no doubts there, but I'll reserve all my praise for him on a higher level till we see what he does.

Steel - X
09-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Quincy was a big time playmaker when he was with the clowns but thats when he caught the ball. That was his major concern no doubt he is fast but the guys hands were not that good. If someone can get him to hang on to the ball he will be the #2 WR for us sometime this season. He has all the tools to be a great one.

Koopa
09-09-2005, 12:13 PM
I tend to agree here.. like I said in another thread. He may have good speed and have good hands and all that; but if he was THAT good he wouldnt be a journeyman WR for last 5 years.

He can help us out Im sure and competition always brings out the best in everyone.

but that's the thing he ain't a jorneyman, he's been stable for most of his five years, he only played half a season with the cowboys the rest with the browns, the media makes it seem like he's never stayed in one place for more then a year.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 03:19 PM
My only beef is, and I'll be honest I dont know his contract numbers that may have something to do w/ it...but it seems the Steelers are putting an awful lot of hopes on this guy, and I just dont want us to be dissapointed. Cowher stated he'd be in mainly the 4 WR sets and then they'd go from there. So thats cool, and I hope he does help us out alot and I hope he can be very productive and work his way up the totem pole for us. I honestly just never thought he was THAT good w/ the clowns and since then either.

He's definately worlds better than mays, which isnt saying much anyways, Im just not gonna hold my breath till we see what he does on a week in and week out basis for us... :smile:

BB2W
09-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Morgan signed a one year deal for $540,000, the NFL minimum for a fifth-year pro....

In his only season starting all 16 games he put up decent numbers.

2002 Browns- 16 games started, 56 receptions, 964 yards, 17.2 avg. 7 TDs, (6 catches over 48 yards)

Those are the kind of numbers we need out of the "X" spot, and very similar to the numbers you might expect from Plax in that role.

If he doesn't step up, he will be gone. If he does step up.... we got a steal, and they might give him an extension.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
But was he a cap casualty when he left the clowns, and down in dallas? I cant remember... but I do know he had some issues w/ his attitude at times so I would imagine thats been corrected or we wouldnt have signed him.

IF he can put up those numbers or similar to that in our system as he works for more playing time, then I'd be quite content w/ that and would love to see him sign an extension next year too. Atleast we got him for a decent price and no long term committment till we see how he does.

I just remember him kinda being like Plax. He can make the long yardage catches and spectacular circus ones, but then he'll turn around and drop a short pass just as it hits him in the hands.

Here's to a good year w/ him. :cheers:

clevestinks
09-09-2005, 08:49 PM
he really wanted out of here, Cleveland , bad. He was smart enough to know that Couch sucked. And he was upset over them getting Garcia. Cant blame the guy for that. At $540,000 this is a potenial steal. Great job Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 09:22 PM
If he and cedric both work out, we could have 2 big players for relatively VERY cheap!

Suitanim
09-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't like this pick-up...I don't like scraping up castoffs from not only the Browns but also the Cowboys, two teams who are not exactly striking terror into the hearts of their opponents with their juggernaut-like offensive attack.

Quincy has an attitude, and he has never lived up to his potential. Maybe being around Hines Ward can change some of that, but I doubt it.

But I'd love it if he proved me wrong.

Koopa
09-10-2005, 02:15 AM
oh the cowboys will start to strike fear in the hearts of ppl, julius jones is an amazing running back and will open up that offense a lot now that defenses got to worry about him. as for one of the other post, no morgan wasn't a cap casualty he was traded for a player that was basically like him. this will end up being a good trade but he'll probably end up leaving us this year for money cause he'll think he deserves more casue he has a superbowl ring

clevestinks
09-10-2005, 10:34 AM
The Brownies were terrible, and going no where quick. Who wouldnt want out. The cowboys are kind of stacked at wr. And Parcells doesnt like anyone. Morgan may not work out, but for $540,000 he is well worth a look. I say he makes it here.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't like this pick-up...I don't like scraping up castoffs from not only the Browns but also the Cowboys, two teams who are not exactly striking terror into the hearts of their opponents with their juggernaut-like offensive attack.

Quincy has an attitude, and he has never lived up to his potential. Maybe being around Hines Ward can change some of that, but I doubt it.

But I'd love it if he proved me wrong.

Finally, somebody else who sides w/ me alittle :dancing: :wink:

ngreene15
09-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Finally, somebody else who sides w/ me alittle :dancing: :wink:

But really what harm can be done.... We're having a guy who once nearly had 1,000 yards recieving coming into be our #4 guy. Only good can come from this.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Not necessarly any harm persay, just not that much help..that's what worries me. But again dont misunderstand, Im pulling for him as much as any Steeler fan would. I want to see him succeed, and do well, and push for more playing time. I just dont wanna get my hopes up just yet.

Suitanim
09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Some harm could be done if this guy spreads poison in the locker room...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I would hope they screening process the Steelers use for players would have caught any hint of asshole in him still.. but we'll see, ,knock on wood.

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-10-2005, 08:07 PM
He maybe a surprise later on down the road once he learns the offense. He is the fastest receiver on the team right now.

slashsteel
09-10-2005, 08:31 PM
I talked to a Browns fan and he said Morgan is a playmaker. So if he behaves himself we have a find, if not we cut him and it cost us little. Being on a winning team sometimes makes a difference for a disgruntled player. Just ask Bettis....