PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith.......Best player you never heard of

stillers4me
06-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Read the rest........

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2889689&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos2

Merril Hoge: Aaron Smith, DE, Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith is the best player in the NFL that most people haven't heard of. The reason for that is because he plays in the trenches on the line and doesn't put up the huge sack numbers that other ends may put up. But the Steelers defense wouldn't be nearly as effective without him on the team. He creates havoc for opposing offensive lines because he has the ability to power through blocks to get pressure on the quarterback and also disrupt the running game. He also does a decent job of occasionally dropping back into coverage and disrupting tight ends that come across the middle, which allows Troy Polamalu the opportunity to roam freely.
:cheers:

tony hipchest
06-01-2007, 08:14 PM
thanks for the link. on sirius radio a few weeks back, pat kirwan and tim ryan were talking about the impact joe thomas was gonna have as a rookie starter for cleveland.

the 1st thing out of ryans mouth was that he is gonna get "body rocked" by aaron smith.

while he doesnt have the flash and pizzaz, those on the inside know who aaron smith is. im actually suprised more steelerfans havent been in an uproar about giving somebody over 30 such a huge contract extension.

The Duke
06-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I kinda agree, I like Aaron even though he doesn't put up big numbers, and I don't expect that to change much this season, although it'l be great. His size alone makes a huge impact on the line

24seven
06-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I tought he was hittin like a rock last year and was very impressed.. He will deffinitely turn a few eyes this year if he's full time.. Him and Clark can knock some mofos round that's fo sho..

Galax Steeler
06-02-2007, 04:23 AM
I really like arron he has been a great asset to the team.

OneForTheToe
06-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I tought he was hittin like a rock last year and was very impressed.. He will deffinitely turn a few eyes this year if he's full time.. Him and Clark can knock some mofos round that's fo sho..

I think you might be thinking about Anthony Smith the young Saftey, while this acticle is about Aaron Smith our vetern DE.

vasteeler
06-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I think you might be thinking about Anthony Smith the young Saftey, while this acticle is about Aaron Smith our vetern DE.

kind of funny our own fans dont know who he is:dang:

melroseplace
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
he's the kind of guy that doesn't play for the recognition and he plays consistently and doesn't expect any glory. thanks for sharing the article

SteelCzar76
06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
thanks for the link. on sirius radio a few weeks back, pat kirwan and tim ryan were talking about the impact joe thomas was gonna have as a rookie starter for cleveland.

the 1st thing out of ryans mouth was that he is gonna get "body rocked" by aaron smith.

while he doesnt have the flash and pizzaz, those on the inside know who aaron smith is. im actually suprised more steelerfans havent been in an uproar about giving somebody over 30 such a huge contract extension.

I think that there hasn't been much of an 'uproar' about his contract Tone,...because Aaron is one of those rare players that actually 'deserves' every penny of it.

What i mean is,....he's been able to maintain a high level of productivity year in and year out. And remained pretty much injury free for the most part. And he's done so in spite of the fact that he was underpaid and in the eyes of some possibly underappreciated by his peers and some fans.

And yet you never heard him b#tching and moaning,.....he just continued to do his job. And do it well.

Bottom line,.....IMO he's the consumate professional !

SteelCityMan786
06-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Got to agree. Aaron will show everyone this year what he can do. I won't be surprised if he's up for some defensive awards.

Busforever
06-04-2007, 06:03 AM
I totally agree. Aaron Smith is the hidden key of our defense. Very athletic and bigger than all 4-3 DE's. He could be used as a 3-gap DT on a 4-3 defense. With Tomlin wanting to add more of those kind of defenses, Aaron Smith is a guy to keep.

coachspeak33
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Aaron Smith's ability to play any position on the D line warranted his pay day....his versatility will allow Tomlin to incorporate more cover 2 schemes....this should keep our opponents guessing on Offense

Elvis
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Good points Tony...
I love Aaron Smith and what he does for the Steelers and the love of the game. You never hear bad things about the guy or see him out there talking crap to someone after he makes a good play. He is a standout DE in our style of defense that he is asked to do. Could he be a pass rushing DE in a 4-3 line?... I dont know how effective he would be there because I have never seen him in that position very often, but for what he is asked to do on our line, he probably is one of the very best..
Jesus Saves
Elvis

Elvis
06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for helping out this person who must have not know what was really going on...:wink02: