PDA

View Full Version : So....how much can you bench?

Livinginthe past
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I was just reading an intersting piece on PFT about 'combine legend' Fred Smoot (Vikes CB) - he is a legend, of course, because of his pathetic performance.

Apparently he mangaged only 2 reps of the 225 LB bar which doesn't sound great by NFL standards (obviously DB's don't need to have as much strength as your linemen).

Then it comes to light that a guy at the NHL draft combine managed only 2 reps at 150LBS (!) - a guy who managed 11 reps of the same weight was described as 'ripping up the bench' and 12 reps was 'very impressive'.

The American guys I have met on my travels all seem to be a bigger build (taller, more weight) than British men, in general, but whether that is true for the whole population I have no idea.

Im 5'8" and weigh 165 LBS and would describe myself as 'toned' or 'athletic' (this is starting to sound like a personal ad :toofunny:) and I can bench 3 sets of 10 at 175 LBS reasonably comfortably.

So im guessing some of you guys can better that pretty easily - what do you make of a pro athelete who makes a big deal about only benching 12 reps at 150LBS - thats not athletic is it?

Its weedy.

Newzfoxjr
06-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm 5 foot 6, 155 pounds. I don't have that much experience in working out, I haven't benched much at all, so I can only bench around 110. My friends can do waaaay more since they own workout equipment...but eh. I'm joining football this summer and they have a pretty crazy lifting program so I should be able to lift way more by September.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
My experience is that most people outside of the United States are "thinner"...but not necessarily athletic....and in the United States it depends on the region...the closer you get to the coasts...the better shape people tend to be.....with California being the leader in athletic built.

LITP.....I'm not sure if this is a growing trend...but I work out with my buddy Dave, who is a physical trainer..and he wont let me max out....all the guys who are at the gym regularly follow the same routine.

lilyoder6
06-02-2007, 11:05 AM
i would have to agree with llt. there's not many athletic ppl outside of the country... i would have to ay the on.ly time u actually see a person physically fit if they play soccor other than that they are just thin. our football weight lifting we do timed weights at specified weghts.. usually go for a min.

Livinginthe past
06-02-2007, 12:01 PM
My experience is that most people outside of the United States are "thinner"...but not necessarily athletic....and in the United States it depends on the region...the closer you get to the coasts...the better shape people tend to be.....with California being the leader in athletic built.

LITP.....I'm not sure if this is a growing trend...but I work out with my buddy Dave, who is a physical trainer..and he wont let me max out....all the guys who are at the gym regularly follow the same routine.

Sure I visited LA for a brief time (long enough to fall foul of their zero tolerance to bar room agro anyway) and that truly is a mecca for the well built - the women roller blading on the beach front...wow.

Im no expert but I think maxing out (with small reps) is more for pure muscle mass and less weight (with many reps) is more for toning and some mass - I definitely fall into the latter category.

The guys who do the massive weights tend to be taking steroids or some derivative - and just because their muscles can push the weight it doesn't mean it isn't badly straining the joints.

SteelCityMan786
06-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm 6' 190 and bench on a maxout of 160 on the 45.

LambertIsGod58
06-02-2007, 12:05 PM
6'0 195lbs.....max at 225.

MACH1
06-02-2007, 12:55 PM
6'2 220lbs --- 245.

X-Terminator
06-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to get on the bench press next time I hit the gym, then report back. I've been working out steadily for over a year, in the gym and martial arts training (hence my avatar), after years of inactivity. I am 5'9", but that is all of the info you get right now :wink02::flap:

HometownGal
06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
My ex is 6'1" and around 195. I'll have to bench press him before I throw him over the side of Mt. Washington - y'know - good leverage. Does that count? :chicken:

I work out regularly and don't bench press, but I get up there pretty good with the free weights (for a woman). :thumbsup:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I am a personal trainer at the YMCA.
The truth is that most people are not able to bench their own weight.
It is conisdered "GOOD" if you can bench your own weight.....
I am 5'9, 185lbs, and my max is 205lbs....

I think better than lifting though is cardio......It is much more important to focus on your cardio than it is to worry about lifting a ton of weight....