PDA

View Full Version : A NEW BREED OF PUNTER

STEELER-NATION
06-02-2007, 10:05 AM
I can't tell you all how excited I am to watch what plays that coach Tomlin designs around Sepulveda. This guy is going to revolutionize the Punter position with his speed, athleticism, kicking ability and size! Opposing teams need to beware on 4th and 1 or 4th and 2 when they are facing a punter with this kind of ability. With his speed he can easily pick up 2 or 3 yards by faking the punt and sprinting to the sideline. If defenses try to plan for the fake punt, this kid can flat-out boot the football 60+ yards and bury an offense deep in their own territory. Also, I have heard rumor that he may in fact handle kickoff duties this year. Thank God for small favors, I was so disgusted every game last year with our weak leg on kickoffs! How many times did we allow the opposition to start their drives on the 35 - 40 yard line?!? Kudos to the Steelers GM for having the vision and clairvoyance to trade up in the 4th round of the 2007 draft to select this young man. Welcome to the finest football team on planet earth, Dan Sepulveda! Here's wishing you the best of luck this season and by the way you may want to keep your calendar clear in late February for a trip to Hawaii!!!!!!!!! STAND UP AND WAVE THOSE YELLOW TOWELS!:cheers:

wiqidjuggalo
06-02-2007, 04:15 PM
This is all i gotta say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhCgLeuO0I

Elvis
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
:wave: Welcome to the site kid...
That was a heck of a first thread and I hope that you enjoy your stay here at the greatest steelers forrum on the planet. I love the new Kid Punter on our block myself as well. I hope that he is a pro bowler for years and years in Black N Gold..

Preacher
06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I cant WAIT to see it.

section514
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
we won't need a personal protector back there, this kid could protect himself

Jeremy
06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of exposing a punter on some stupid trick plays.

Crushzilla
06-08-2007, 04:06 AM
I think it would be great to see some trickery at Punter. A team has FOUR downs to get to the chains. A guy like Sepulveda may completely change the way people look at punting on that final down.

polamalufan43
06-08-2007, 06:41 AM
I definately see a future in this kid. If he goes on to revolutionize the punter's position it wouldn't surprise me. But I'm getting a little ahead for such a young guy

~PF43:tt02:

Aussie_steeler
06-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Hopefully the aussie rules style drop punt will cause some fumbles this year.

The end over end style kick will unsettle some guys. Darren Bennett was the first ex aussie rules player to incorporate this kick into his arsenal. I think our guy will cause similar problems by varying the rotation of the ball.

My question is Does he have the leg strength we need on kick off? Is he possbily an option over Reed?

Preacher
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Hopefully the aussie rules style drop punt will cause some fumbles this year.

The end over end style kick will unsettle some guys. Darren Bennett was the first ex aussie rules player to incorporate this kick into his arsenal. I think our guy will cause similar problems by varying the rotation of the ball.

My question is Does he have the leg strength we need on kick off? Is he possbily an option over Reed?

He has GREAT leg strength from what I understand. What I worry about though, is that kickoff and punting are two different things... just because one can punt well doesn't mean one can kick well.

verks36
06-09-2007, 12:26 AM
lets see

we revoltionized the saftey postion when paumualo was drafted now maybe the punter. We def need to have some nice trick play punts next year.

I know this guy is a beast but how good is his leg strethg and accuracy...i need numbers

wiqidjuggalo
06-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Sepulveda's Single-Game Bests
Punts: 9, three times
Punting Average: 55.0 vs. Texas State, Sept. 11, 2004 (six punts)
Punts of 50-plus yards: 5, twice
Punts Inside the 20: 5, twice

Sepulveda's career statistics
YEAR----G-----NO-----YDS-----AVG----50+---IN20------------LP/OPPONENT
2002----Redshirted
2003----12----87-----3,750----43.10---26-----23--------------62/Oklahoma State
2004----11----62-----2,850----45.97---24-----26--------------69/Missouri
2005----11----62-----2,863----46.18---19-----13--------------78/at Missouri
Totals---34----211---9,463----44.85---69-----62--------------78/at Missouri, 2005

MasterOfPuppets
06-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of exposing a punter on some stupid trick plays.
you said it! just because he isn't afraid to lay a hit on someone don't exspect to see him do it often. the kicker is the last line of defense...there's one punter on the team and thier not gonna risk him getting injured by sending him down the field like a japanese fighter pilot on a suicide mission.

Crushzilla
06-11-2007, 01:08 AM
you said it! just because he isn't afraid to lay a hit on someone don't exspect to see him do it often. the kicker is the last line of defense...there's one punter on the team and thier not gonna risk him getting injured by sending him down the field like a japanese fighter pilot on a suicide mission.

I suppose if everything goes according to plan, we should never see Sepulveda make a single hit.

Big7BenHOF
06-11-2007, 01:28 AM
His longest punt was 78 yards if anyone didn't know that. Pretty excited about this guy as well.

faneca05
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
What surprised me though is that some people were criticizing the steelers for moving up to take him

Preacher
06-22-2007, 05:14 AM
What surprised me though is that some people were criticizing the steelers for moving up to take him

Most punters are not worth trading up for. Actually, many are just UFA. So I can understand it.

However, with this guy, I can now understand the trade up to get him. Wow... Funny though, as happy as I am to have him, I don't want to see him on the field!

onthebus36
06-22-2007, 05:28 PM
However, with this guy, I can now understand the trade up to get him. Wow... Funny though, as happy as I am to have him, I don't want to see him on the field!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You don't want to see him play?

Manjo
06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
The better the Steelers move the ball, the less we'll see Sepulveda punting.

So, hopefully we won't see him too often.

The Duke
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Manjo;260568]The better the Steelers move the ball, the less we'll see Sepulveda punting.

Hope this happens

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I love it this really prosonifies the Steeler mentality and the kid is a pretty good kicker but I guess you gotta be if you play for Baylor.

Also wasn't A. J. Hawk a punter comming out of high school?.......

verks36
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I love it this really prosonifies the Steeler mentality and the kid is a pretty good kicker but I guess you gotta be if you play for Baylor.

Also wasn't A. J. Hawk a punter comming out of high school?.......

YA i know what you mean it is sweet to see a punter that can hit and it fits perfect for the steelers frame of mind. If he makes some nice kicks and some big hits i can see him being a fan favorite for years to come. Hey if we are low on linebackers he could fill in.LOL

About the aj hawk thing i am not sure but that would be really wierd if he was

Preacher
07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You don't want to see him play?

No... because it means that the offense had bogged down. I would love it if we never saw him because that would mean that we had always moved the ball at least into field goal position.

Blump
09-02-2007, 01:06 AM
... Are you guys really this excited about a punter? How about a direct snap to someone with speed? That way, he won't have to run 15 yards to get back to the line of scrimmage.

...Wow...

HometownGal
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
... Are you guys really this excited about a punter?

YES. Opponents' field position on punt returns killed us last season. Sep's boot and hang time give our STs a much better chance of getting down field fast and in a hurry.

fansince'76
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
... Are you guys really this excited about a punter?

Mmmm....yeah. I don't know about you, but I got a little tired of teams almost constantly starting drives at practically midfield last season.

steelerbackr4life
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Mmmm....yeah. I don't know about you, but I got a little tired of teams almost constantly starting drives at practically midfield last season.
Yes I too got tired of constantly losing the the battles of field position. Pin em back and unleash the D !

Preacher
09-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Why are all of you complaining about the punts last year!

Don't you know not one of them was blocked?

:sofunny:

steelerbackr4life
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Lol I missed your sense of humor over the summer

Tankus_Maximus
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Gotta admit, the kid had a great game yesterday.

Pinned the Brown-stains near their goal-line a handful of times.

Great pick so far!

Preacher
09-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Lol I missed your sense of humor over the summer

Then stay around next year!!!

and thanks.