PDA

View Full Version : The Best Defense Ever?

Elvis
06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I was watching NFL Network and they were discussing the best defense of all-time... Now, I think that this can be discussed in several different ways. The best 1 year wonders would have to be debated between the Ravens in their super bowl win year and the '85 Bears.... but when you talk about a 6 or 7 year reign... there is no doubt in my mind that the STEELERS of the mid to late 70's had to be the Very Best of All-Time... Their 4 year Super Bowls that they were in.. their defense ranked #1 or #2 every year in points allowed, except the last of 4 in the 70's when they ranked 4th. Now, lets hear what everyone thinks...
Jesus Saves
Elvis

MACH1
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
85' Bears for the best in a single season, but the Steelers in the 70's over a period of years.

Atlanta Dan
06-02-2007, 12:50 PM
If you are talking best single season for a defense that won the SB, then '85 Bears.

But IMHO best single season D was the 76 Steelers

tony hipchest
06-02-2007, 12:52 PM
i still think the 76 steelers d was better than the bears or ravens. i always refer to ozzie newsoms opinion on this debate. he assembled the ravens, and played against the amazing bears and LT's giants teams and of course against the steelers. he said "hands down, without a doubt, the steelers d was the best ever". and he knows talent and he knew how to play.

Elvis
06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Without looking it up everyone...
Who had the #1 defense in terms of points allowed the first 2 years the Steelers won the Super Bowls? I honestly didnt know til yesterday.. but it kind of suprised me. Good Luck , I will tell ya later if someone doesnt know...of course you can always go to NFL.com and find out for yourself..
Jesus Loves You
Elvis

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Simply put....take the Steelers D...compare them to EITHER of those teams....and tell me who you would bench from the Steelers in favor of the Ravens/Bears.....Overwhelmingly you would keep the majority of the Steelers players.....

Hands down....76 Steelers were the best D ever....We actually have players deserving of the HOF...who may never make it due to so many of their teammates already being there.

polamalufan43
06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Definately 70's steelers, there isn't really any contest there, lol.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

rbryan
06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Next question.

silver & black
06-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I voted the 70's Steelers. They were dominant for damn near a whole decade. We will never see the likes of them again.

PisnNapalm
06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
To be more specific, the 1976 Steelers D was the best ever.

SteelCzar76
06-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Not to beat a dead horse. But i too believe that 'pound for pound' our 76 unit was the best ever. As the 85 bears though exceptional,.... could be viewed as being more so a product of Buddy Ryans 'scheme'. Which at that time was 'revolutionary' so to speak.

But even with this said,......i must give credit where it's due. The 2000 Rats unit was very impressive IMO. If only because they were so dominant in an era where the players are simply bigger, stronger, faster and more talented 'on the average' across the board as opposed those of the league in the 70's.

GBMelBlount
06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
espn.com picked '76 steelers.

HometownGal
06-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Gotta go with the consensus here - '76 Steelers hands down and that is said totally without bias.

Elvis
06-03-2007, 06:31 AM
I voted the 70's Steelers. They were dominant for damn near a whole decade. We will never see the likes of them again.
Agreed!!!
:iagree::sign01:

LambertIsGod58
06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
The '76 Steelers came went on to the AFC Championship after starting the season 1-4. Ernie Holmes stated that the Steelers were so good and to be fair to the rest of the divison they would spot them four games. They allowed just 28 points in the last NINE games. Five of them being shutouts. Look at some of the Pro Bowls from the 70's. At one point having 8 players on the Defensive squad is more than impressive. I think that Donnie Shell and LC Greenwood are more than deserving to be in the Hall. I hate the fact that there's even an argument. The Steelers D dominated the 70's. No team has ever done it since. I love the clowns that bring out the '85 Bears or the 00' Ravens. One year wonders and the world of Free Agency!

rbryan
06-03-2007, 10:17 AM
In 1975 the Oilers and Bengals were acombined 21-3 against the rest of the NFL. 0-4 against the Steelers.

"Those were good teams, I feel sorry for them, they just couldn't get past us"

Mike Wagner

bigj26o(scm 899)
06-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Without question the 70's steelers, especially the 76. The rats i would say are second followed by the bears.

The Duke
06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
2000 ratbirds:flap: Just kidding. Obviously the 70's steelers

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Simply put....take the Steelers D...compare them to EITHER of those teams....and tell me who you would bench from the Steelers in favor of the Ravens/Bears.....Overwhelmingly you would keep the majority of the Steelers players.....

Hands down....76 Steelers were the best D ever....We actually have players deserving of the HOF...who may never make it due to so many of their teammates already being there.

Like Donnie Shell and L.C. Greenwood....Its shame both of those guys are not in the Hall.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2007, 12:10 PM
The 76 Defense was by far the best ever...I think they had 5 shut outs that year....If Franco and Rocky don't get hurt the Steelers win 5 Super Bowls in 6 years....

Stlrs4Life
06-03-2007, 05:24 PM
If you are talking best single season for a defense that won the SB, then '85 Bears.

But IMHO best single season D was the 76 Steelers

Maybe so, but to me, the '76 Steelers still have the better 1 year season.

Atlanta Dan
06-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Maybe so, but to me, the '76 Steelers still have the better 1 year season.

I agree, but of course the 76 Steelers did not win the SB.

If you look at it from virtually any statistical standpoint, the 86 Bears D also was better than the 85 Bears D.

I only give it to the 85 Bears D as the best D on a SB winning team, not as the best D on any team.

Godfather
06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
What did the '76 team have--5 shutouts in 14 games or something like that?

That record will never be approached, let alone broken.

GBMelBlount
06-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Has anyone ever tallied up fewest defensive points given up by a team in a decade?

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Best one year wonders... 76 STEELERS ...best over period of time 70's STEELERS...the NFL had to change the rules of the game to give offenses a chance...:tt02::tt02:

Elvis
06-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Not to beat a dead horse. But i too believe that 'pound for pound' our 76 unit was the best ever. As the 85 bears though exceptional,.... could be viewed as being more so a product of Buddy Ryans 'scheme'. Which at that time was 'revolutionary' so to speak.

But even with this said,......i must give credit where it's due. The 2000 Rats unit was very impressive IMO. If only because they were so dominant in an era where the players are simply bigger, stronger, faster and more talented 'on the average' across the board as opposed those of the league in the 70's.
The Bears part of your thread I can agree with. The Ravens were a 1 year wonder that they will never repeat. The bigger stronger part of your thread cannot be helped by any sport. The players are gonna be bigger and stronger in 10 years than they are now... does that make them better ball players? No... not in opinion
Peace Out

Elvis
06-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Best one year wonders... 76 STEELERS ...best over period of time 70's STEELERS...the NFL had to change the rules of the game to give offenses a chance...:tt02::tt02:
76 Steelers best one year wonder?... are you kiddin'?... I knew you was

Big7BenHOF
06-11-2007, 12:40 AM
85' Bears for the best in a single season, but the Steelers in the 70's over a period of years.

:thumbsup:

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Holy crap why are you all so dumb. Or maybe just biasesesed. The 2000 Ravens allowed 169 points in 7 weeks. The fewest points EVER allowed in a 16 game schedule. The offense also went the final 8 games without scoring a touchdown and the Ravens still WON the superbowl. The 70 steelers just were brutal and cheated and grabbed people and rules had to be made to stop them from mauling people in the secondary. Granted they were good, home grown, but in a single season the Ravens were the best defense. Pittsburgh needs to get their heads out of 1970. You look back on when the Steelers and Pirates were so good, too bad theyre both horrendus now.

Crushzilla
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
You're right. Being a year removed from a World Title is PRETTY horrendous...

The 70 steelers just were brutal and cheated and grabbed people and rules had to be made to stop them from mauling people in the secondary.

How were they cheating if they MADE rules afterward?

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh maybe your right the rule wasn't in place at the time, but shoving and tripping players 20 yards into their route isn't my idea of a fair played match. And in '79 the Oilers got robbed of that touchdown pass that would have throttled them into the game win.

fansince'76
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh maybe your right the rule wasn't in place at the time, but shoving and tripping players 20 yards into their route isn't my idea of a fair played match. And in '79 the Oilers got robbed of that touchdown pass that would have throttled them into the game win.

You mean the Renfro catch? How so, when the Steelers won that game 27-13? Unless they would have awarded Renfro 7 style points on top of the TD, the numbers don't add up, sorry.

HometownGal
06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Holy crap why are you all so dumb. Or maybe just biasesesed. The 2000 Ravens allowed 169 points in 7 weeks. The fewest points EVER allowed in a 16 game schedule. The offense also went the final 8 games without scoring a touchdown and the Ravens still WON the superbowl. The 70 steelers just were brutal and cheated and grabbed people and rules had to be made to stop them from mauling people in the secondary. Granted they were good, home grown, but in a single season the Ravens were the best defense. Pittsburgh needs to get their heads out of 1970. You look back on when the Steelers and Pirates were so good, too bad theyre both horrendus now.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

2000 Ravens? Now who is looking back?

P.S. Is your first name Homer by chance?

Can you please refrain from referring to our members as "dumb"? In case you didn't realize it - you are on a Pittsburgh Steelers BB. DUH.

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Haha Sorry my fault its not even that they're dumb, just very, very biased much like myself i guess. And the catch would have swung the momentum of the game, the Oilers gave up after that terrible call by the umps, play calling was horrendus too cause the coordinators didn't give a damn.

Crushzilla
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
By the way the 70's Steelers still won AFTER they made those rules. It was in the middle of their dynasty run...

Talk about breaking rules? Whose linebacker killed somebody, and shot Joey Porter in the ass. And whose running back was blowing coke off Joey Porter's wounded ass...

Game. Set. Match.

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I can't find the video for it but you remeber back in 2004 when the Steelers were tanking the season and Joey Porter blatantly laid out a limping Todd Heap on a called spike? Yeah that season-ending injury wasn't breaking the rules or anything.

Buzz05
06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
I can't find the video for it but you remeber back in 2004 when the Steelers were tanking the season and Joey Porter blatantly laid out a limping Todd Heap on a called spike? Yeah that season-ending injury wasn't breaking the rules or anything.

If he was injured why was he in the game? And how was Joey to know it was going to be a spike...remember Marino in that Jets game...fake spike...touchdown. Joey was just doing what he was paid to do. Go after the QB.

stlrtruck
06-12-2007, 03:00 PM

If Heap was injured he should have stayed down on the ground. It's a physical sport for a reason...so powder puffs don't play the game.

So I guess every time a player comes limping up to the LOS they shouldn't get hit. :toofunny:

Nice try! :thumbsup: NOT!

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 03:04 PM
You all must not have seen the game. In 2004 the Ravens won 30-7 giving the Steelers theyre only loss that year. I believe and it was halftime when the Ravens were running the 2 minute drill even though they were up by 16 just to rack it up on the epic team that didn't get to the Superbowl. Heap twisted his ankle and Boller got ready to spike it. None of the players on the Ravens even lined up but heap was limping away when the ball was snapped, Joey Porter went out of his way to lay out Todd Heap and he was injured for the rest of the season.

Buzz05
06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
You all must not have seen the game. In 2004 the Ravens won 30-7 giving the Steelers theyre only loss that year. I believe and it was halftime when the Ravens were running the 2 minute drill even though they were up by 16 just to rack it up on the epic team that didn't get to the Superbowl. Heap twisted his ankle and Boller got ready to spike it. None of the players on the Ravens even lined up but heap was limping away when the ball was snapped, Joey Porter went out of his way to lay out Todd Heap and he was injured for the rest of the season.

I do remember the game, Heap lined up in front of Joey in his stance! If he knew it was a called spike why did he get in his stance...Joey didnt go out of his way...he was in front of him. And I hate to tell ya...if none of the players lined up there would have been a penalty for not enough men on the LOS...

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 03:14 PM
It won't let me post a link because my post count isnt high enough...that makes sense.

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Heap didn't want to cost the team a timeout so he ran to the line and used both hands to support him and was grimacing while he looked down. Great opportunity opened for Porter to deck the all-pro Tight end.

stlrtruck
06-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Heap didn't want to cost the team a timeout so he ran to the line and used both hands to support him and was grimacing while he looked down. Great opportunity opened for Porter to deck the all-pro Tight end.

:blah: Then I guess you can say that Heap sacrificed himself for the team. If he can't take a legal hit, then he shouldn't be suiting up on Sundays. Any other excuses you make for him and the rest of the crybabies in baltimore, hon?:crying01:

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Nope thats all, but just get back to me after this seasons over. Well see who has the better team. K?

stlrtruck
06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Nope thats all, but just get back to me after this seasons over. Well see who has the better team. K?

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Something tells me you won't be around here long enough to eat crow.

But when you're season is said and done, just think of all us Steeler fans dancing :banana: :jammin: and partying :party:. I might even bring a few of my friends back into baltimore, take a trip down to Washington St and visit the Purple Goose - you know the one that is literally 5 minutes from the stadium and is a proud BLACK AND GOLD CLUB.

Since you'll want to jump the ratbirds bandwagon, and become a Steelers fan, I can't allow you on the bandwagon, you're more than welcome to walk next to it. :toofunny:

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Alright i promise ill check back here at the end of the season. And youll still be here, saying that the Steelers had too many turnovers or the defense couldnt cover the pass or bad refereeing or some bullshit. Until then.

stlrtruck
06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Alright i promise ill check back here at the end of the season. And youll still be here, saying that the Steelers had too many turnovers or the defense couldnt cover the pass or bad refereeing or some bullshit. Until then.

Unlike fans of other team's, I've never blamed the refs for the Steelers losing a game. It is either won or lost on the field.

If the Steelers have turnovers or they don't play up to my expectations, yes I will say that. However, when a team solidly beats us (i.e like the ratbirds did last year), I have no problem giving props.

Question is, will you be man enough to do the same? or will you be doing this :banging: and :jawdrop: by mid-season when the Steelers reclaim their supremacy?

Elvis
06-13-2007, 09:50 AM
:blah::crying01::crying02::monkey::laughing::finge r::naughty::moon::sign02::sign01:

ben2hines=6
06-13-2007, 11:58 AM
haha joey porters the one who is dirty for pushing someone over and by the way like u stated it was an ankle so im sure porter didnt do much more damage pushing him in the chest but like the ratbird fan u are u forget to bring up the dirtyness that follows the ratbirds such as KILLING SOMEONE....ur so called team leader straight kills someone and u have the balls to come on this sight and cry about ur overrated tightends ankle!!!! hey the next time u bums get into the playoffs, try and score a few points huh

ARKIESTEEL
06-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I realy dislike the ravens....Art Model is trash. Ray Ray is a thug and the rest of your team is only made to look like choir boys by the buguls