PDA

View Full Version : Who was better?

GBMelBlount
06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Apparently Sgt. Pepper is now 40 years ago. Just wondering, of possibly the two greatest of all time, who do you pick. Beatles or Elvis? Favorite song? Favorite album?

SteelCzar76
06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Apparently Sgt. Pepper is now 40 years ago. Just wondering, of possibly the two greatest of all time, who do you pick. Beatles or Elvis? Favorite song? Favorite album?

Gotta say The Beatles GBMB. Though i won't name a favorite album. As there have been too many great Albums IMO of varying 'genres' of music for me to do so. :cheers:

tony hipchest
06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
while i appreciate elvis i would more likely download 50 beatles songs on my ipod than 50 of his. tough to pick a favorite.

too tough to pick a favorite album but i probably like the stuff most from when they were flying high with lucy in the sky between 66-70, in this order if i had to choose:

magical mystery tour
white album
sgt peppers lonely heart club band
revolver
let it be

but i cant say any are really better than "a hard days night" or songs like "8 days a week".

wings and john lennons solo work is more my era so i have alot of songs from them i like too. i got a chance to see paul mccartney in concert in 92-93, and i gotta say when he did "let it be" as a tribute to john lennon, with all the psychadelic imagery on the 4 huge jumbotrons, i had chicken skin for about half an hour.

HometownGal
06-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I gotta go with The Beatles, too, Tony. The deciding factor for me is that not only did they make some really great records, they were great lyricists as well. Some of the lyrics were really deep.

My fave Beatles tune is Yesterday, followed closely by A Hard Days Night. :cheers:

However, if it comes down to gyration, Elvis won hands down! :wink02::banana:

GBMelBlount
06-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Beatles, White album, Blackbird

Elvis
06-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Elvis... no doubt about it:tt02:
Suspicous Minds is my favorite song.....:helmet:
Live from Hawaii was my favorite CD.... :coffee:
Jesus Rules
Elvis

LambertIsGod58
06-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I was a huge Beatles fan back in my early teenage years...But I would have say that I listen to more Elvis now. If you look back I don't think there is any denying that the Beatles were the better act. I think Elvis may have been the better performer. Favorite Beatles album was "Rubber Soul", song "In My Life". Favorite Elvis songs....Suspicious Minds, Memories, My Way, In the Ghetto and Kentucky Rain. Can't pick a favorite CD, don't know any.

PisnNapalm
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
The Monkees

LambertIsGod58
06-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Never a big Monkees fan....even though they were the first concert I ever went to. It was their reunion back in 1986.

Hammer67
06-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Hmmm...I would say this is very generational. I prefer the Beatles post-Revolver. But I prefer Elvis to the pre-Revolver Beatles.

Preacher
06-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Dang...

I gotta say Elvis... But that is because I have always had a seriously nasty taste in my mouth for John Lennon.

However, personally, I gotta put Led Zeppelin above both, Elvis took from the popular black music and the Beatles almost perfected an already known type.

Zepplin took blues and classical, and created what has evolved into modern day hard rock and metal. Heck, they did some things that were 20 to 30 years ahead of thier time.

Though in honesty, all three are absolute top. I can only think of one or two others (in thier own respective genres) that could be put with these...

Glen Miller band (Big band\swing)
Metallica (First fusion of rockmetal\punk)

Individually, I would have to also put B.B. King in there, but he falls in the same category as the Beatles, almost perfecting an already known type.

What is interesting, is every band or person listed above has survived a major shift in the music culture and stayed above ground... though for Elvis, some could argue that it was shaky.

Stlrs4Life
06-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Elvis, but I would be biased cause he was my favorite growing up. Suspicious Minds would also be my favorite.

GBMelBlount
06-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Preach,

Love the "Zep"

Bless.

Godfather
06-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Elvis was the best solo act in rock and roll. Led Zep was the best band.

And Louis Armstrong is the best American musician ever.

Elvis
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
The Monkees
Sorry, never heard of them...
how about the Doors? or ZZ Top or Loverboy or 38 Special?..oops... got excited there for a moment..
:flap:

Mosca
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Tough call. I listen to more Beatles than I do Elvis, but I love the Elvis that I listen to as much as I do the Beatles. The Beatles burned more brightly, but Elvis' career was longer.

I'll give my nod to The Beatles, but they would never have existed if it hadn't been for Elvis. My favorite Beatles period is the Help!/Rubber Soul/Revolver trilogy. Sgt Pepper was the beginning of the end, although it didn't seem like it at the time; but even such amazing albums as Abbey Road have dreck like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Octopus's Garden".

Tom

steelpinstripe72
06-06-2007, 12:46 AM
If I have to choose between Elvis and The Beatles, I'd take The Beatles any day. But beyond that, I have two words: Pink. Floyd. My top five Floyd songs (as of right now, in no particular order):

-Us and Them
-Echoes
-Learning to Fly
-See Emily Play
-Cirrus Minor

pitt
06-06-2007, 01:18 AM
ELVIS......ELVIS......ELVIS.....ELVIS......ELVIS.. ......ELVIS.......ELVIS

Buzz05
06-06-2007, 08:20 AM
However, personally, I gotta put Led Zeppelin above both, Elvis took from the popular black music and the Beatles almost perfected an already known type.

Zepplin took blues and classical, and created what has evolved into modern day hard rock and metal. Heck, they did some things that were 20 to 30 years ahead of thier time.

Though in honesty, all three are absolute top. I can only think of one or two others (in thier own respective genres) that could be put with these...

Individually, I would have to also put B.B. King in there, but he falls in the same category as the Beatles, almost perfecting an already known type.

What is interesting, is every band or person listed above has survived a major shift in the music culture and stayed above ground... though for Elvis, some could argue that it was shaky.

Preach on!

Led Zepplin was by far the most influencial band in terms of rock and roll. Their sound is still heard today in how bands play their music. Swan Song, Ramble On, Stairway, and Black Dog are absolute classics I would put on the top of any list.

Maybe its because I am too young to ever get into the beatles, but I just dont care for them. Other then Strawberry fields forever I dont care for their music.
They did have a huge influence in American pop culture but Zepplin was a culture all on theire own. The only other band that I can see having the influence of Zepplin would be Black Sabbath with their dreary and almost scary sound.

Mosca
06-06-2007, 09:25 AM

With the understanding that it's all preference anyhow, and de gustibus non disputandum est,

You have Basie, Ellington, Goodman, Shaw, the Dorseys, and you picked Glenn Miller? There's no denying the appeal of "Pennsylvania 6-5000" and "String of Pearls", but there's no denying the appeal of "Daydream Believer" either. That was Glenn Miller's place during his era, not as an innovator but as an adaptor and popularizer. Just like there is no denying the lasting appeal of the Monkees' brand of pop, there's no denying the appeal of Glenn Miller's; but his legacy was built on the riffs of Basie, Ellington, Goodman, et al. If you had to make the Elvis/Beatles comparison from that era, you would have to say it was Benny Goodman taking the Elvis role as bringing black music to the white audience (and forming the first interracial combo, the Benny Goodman Quartet with Lionel Hampton) and Duke Ellington as the man who took the genre and transformed it with his genius. For every Glenn Miller number you can name that has entered the corpus, I can name you three Duke Ellington compositions that you would say, "Oh, I didn't know that was his."

Satin Doll
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Caravan
Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me
It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
Mood Indigo
Ring Dem Bells
Rockin' In Rhythm
Sophisticated Lady
Take The "A" Train
I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
Things Ain't What They Used To Be

If you don't recognize the titles, I guarantee you that if you heard the melody you would be able to hum along with it; you know these tunes. I can understand PREFERRING Glenn Miller to the others; Miller's band was smooth as a milkshake and tight as all heck. But in no way was he like the Elvis or Beatles of the swing era.

Giving Metallica all due respect as the better band and bigger success, I'd say the FIRST fusion of punk & metal was Mot?rhead. From allmusic: "Mot?rhead wasn't punk rock -- they formed before the Sex Pistols and they loved the hell-for-leather imagery of bikers too much to conform with the safety-pinned, ripped T-shirts of punk -- but they were the first metal band to harness that energy and, in the process, they created speed metal and thrash metal." It was never a genre I could get into, I got old a little before Metallica got popular. But I did want to give Mot?rhead their due!

Tom,
who enjoys a musical argument as much as any other!

Mosca
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
There's a nice article about Elvis in this month's issue of American History; the author makes a cogent point about Elvis being an interpretive artist and The Beatles being creative artists. Regardless of what the label on the record said, Elvis didn't write his songs. A songwriter had to add Presley's name to the credits in order to get him to sing it. (Which in those days was a good deal both ways. Many of Presley's hits were written by Otis Blackwell ["All Shook Up", "Don't Be Cruel", "Return to Sender"] or Leiber & Stoller ["Hound Dog", "Jailhouse Rock", "Don't"] ).

Probably all of us here are too young to know what it was really like when Elvis or The Beatles hit. I know nothing of Elvis fever, I was 2 in 1956 when his first RCA album was recorded. From all accounts it was like nothing before. Sinatra had the same effect on teenagers (it was for him that the word "teenbopper" came into the vernacular), but Elvis was so... SEXUAL. Check out this YouTube clip of "Heartbreak Hotel"; this was TAME for Elvis. The difference between the mature appeal of traditional stars and Elvis' blatant and raw lust is never more apparent than it would be with the first two (hidden) pelvic thrusts on his guitar. And you'll never find a more apt depiction of what was happening, the establishment sould try all they wanted to keep the genie bottled up... but it was already out and not going back into the bottle.

Heartbreak Hotel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Qo1eaWF8c)

And he sang race music! It was the revolution in pop culture that America was primed for. This clip is more like what was REALLY happening. Watch the girl in the audience shots:

Hound Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuJnsWRkwE)

As an interesting aside, the author of the aforementioned article makes another often overlooked point: while Elvis was taking black music and making it white, Chuck Berry was taking white music and making it black; his narrative songs took a country music tradition and set it to black rhythms. Those two men forged the synthesis of pop culture we have today. And he also makes the point that none of it would have happened in our segregated society without radio, which could not be shut out. White kids could listen to "race" radio, and black kids could listen to "hillbilly" radio.

I was only 10 in 1964; Beatlemania was something I watched but didn't understand or participate in like my older sisters. there hasn't been any sort of parallel that I can think of in the last 40 years; maybe Harry Potter, but that isn't anywhere near as intense as Beatlemania was. Locally, maybe Steeler Fever in the '70s; or, think about our last Super Bowl run, and globalize that feeling. And stretch it out for 6 or 7 years, from late '63 through '69 or '70.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-06-2007, 10:47 AM

I would add to that list...Eric Clapton....virtually every guitarist will name him as a MAJOR influence....The older I get the more I appreciate his style and ability...Some consider talent to be the ability to play fast...Clapton once said that talent lies in the ability to play the THE right note at THE right time. I didnt get that when I was younger..but now appreciate his music a great deal.

fansince'76
06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I would also add the Who to the list - they were punk long before punk was even developed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I would also add the Who to the list - they were punk long before punk was even developed.

Who?

Buzz05
06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I would add to that list...Eric Clapton....virtually every guitarist will name him as a MAJOR influence....The older I get the more I appreciate his style and ability...Some consider talent to be the ability to play fast...Clapton once said that talent lies in the ability to play the THE right note at THE right time. I didnt get that when I was younger..but now appreciate his music a great deal.

A lot of people say that Layla was his best work, I believe it was Cocain. But I agree with you on Clapton. But I also have to put Jimmy Page on the same level. If Clapton is 1A then Page is 1B in terms of guitarists and influence. Also dont forget about Tony Iommi from Sabboth. If it wasnt for him then there wouldnt be any metal rock such as Metallica today.

revefsreleets
06-07-2007, 09:45 PM
As far as innovative music, the Beatles were way out front. WAY out front. Elvis just took black artists stuff and made it mainstream. I don't even think he was especially courageous, because his whole shtick was hit or miss. You either buy a white guy playing black music or you don't. Everyone did.

The Beatles started more or less the same way, but when they gained popularity, they didn't rest on their laurels, they really pushed the ends of the envelope. The Stones, the Who, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd all owe a debt to the Beatles. Without the Beatles, every band but the Stones wouldn't even exist.