PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Re-Sign Haynes

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Running back Haynes re-signs with Steelers
Monday, June 04, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veteran running back Verron Haynes, released by the Steelers in March, re-signed with the ballclub today.

Haynes, who was with the Steelers the past five seasons, had surgery on a knee last fall after it was injured in a game at Oakland Oct. 29. He has been rehabilitating his knee at the Steelers facility this year.

Haynes played in seven games last season and rushed for 78 yards and caught 18 passes. He has played in 60 games in his career, with 738 yards rushing and 57 receptions.

Haynes had been the Steelers third-down back the past several seasons but will compete for that job with newly signed veteran running back Kevan Barlow and returning veteran Najeh Davenport.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07155/791430-100.stm

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow....getting a crowded backfield. I LOVE IT!!!!...let the competition begin!!! There is nothing like the probability of losing your job to motivate you to work your tail off!!!

stlrtruck
06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice to see him back in black!

I hope his knee is up for the journey that is in front of him. It definitely is going to be a challenge this year to make the team as a back up.

Crushzilla
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Thank God. Now we have someone for those screen passes on third and 13...

Elvis
06-04-2007, 11:19 AM
:hug: Welcome Home Mr. Haynes
I for one am very happy to see this resigning. I just hope that the knee is all well and he is fully healthy, I know that way that he is gonna be very hard to beat out as our 3rd down back. Check the numbers... the young man had 18 rec. in what?... 5 games.... He makes a big difference to our team on 3rd downs and I am very happy again to see the young man back. I honestly think that he must being looking well or the Steelers probably wouldnt have even signed him back... My prayers are with ya brother Haynes...
God With You All
Elvis

steelersfanman92
06-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Half those catches were screen passes that didnt make it past the marker.

The Duke
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Great to see him back. Now stay healthy and do your best you have great competition in front of you.

Jeremy
06-04-2007, 11:38 AM
:wave: Kevan Barlow

Elvis
06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Half those catches were screen passes that didnt make it past the marker.
You need to go back and check the Steelers win/loss record of when Haynes is in the game for the Steelers and when he isnt and then come back and put off on this young man.. I think that you will have a different outlook on things if you would do this..
:thumbsup:

Crushzilla
06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
He had 18 receptions in 7 games and only averaged 5.2 yards a grab and made it to the first down line only 4 times in those 18 grabs. A 22% success rate doesn't thrill me.

verks36
06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
YES HAYNES IS BACk

I hope he full recovers from his injury and has a good season

IamTheSteelGod
06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Liking it, he's a good player. What about John Kuhn has anyone heard much about him?

stlrtruck
06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Liking it, he's a good player. What about John Kuhn has anyone heard much about him?

He'll be in camp fighting for a position. Other than that, haven't heard anything. Which during this time of year isn't a bad thing.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
What about John Kuhn has anyone heard much about him?

Last I heard they were working him at the FB position in mini-camp.

Preacher
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Last I heard they were working him at the FB position in mini-camp.

That would be the ONLIY reason I would want him on the team. He has never impressed me otherwise.

Heck, he does a GREAT job at fullback in Madden football, and EVERYONE knows that is a precursor to reality!! :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Wow....getting a crowded backfield. I LOVE IT!!!!...let the competition begin!!! There is nothing like the probability of losing your job to motivate you to work your tail off!!!

Amen to that. That's what my varsity team will be like.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
That would be the ONLIY reason I would want him on the team. He has never impressed me otherwise.

Heck, he does a GREAT job at fullback in Madden football, and EVERYONE knows that is a precursor to reality!! :sofunny:

Hey! His two carries for 18 yards and catching one ball for 15 yards is just the start of a career which will undoubtedly end in Canton. :wink02:

OneForTheToe
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
What about John Kuhn has anyone heard much about him?

From what I heard he was last seen hunting Bin Laden in Pakistan. In July I believe he flies on that special Space Shuttle mission. Then in August the opera he wrote will debut in Austria, And finally, right before the season starts in September, he is to chair that internation conference on Global Warming.

You know .... pretty typical summer for John Kuhn.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 04:49 PM
From what I heard he was last seen hunting Bin Lauden in Pakistan. In July I believe he flies on that special Space Shuttle mission. Then in August the opera he wrote will debut in Austria, And finally, right before the season starts in September, he is to chair that internation conference on Global Warming.

You know .... pretty typical summer for John Khun.

:toofunny:

That was good stuff.

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
You know .... pretty typical summer for John Kuhn.:sofunny: he may have a leg up on dan kreider then. kuhn's capabilities to be a rb, fb, qb, ob-gyn, md, mb mod, and hb gives us much needed versatility. i think him and kreider will battle it out in camp, as we carry 4 rb's once again:

parker, davenport, barlow, and haynes.

Stlrs4Life
06-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I like Kuhn, but highly doubt he unseats Kreider. Kreider is a great blocker. I think resigning Haynes was ok for competition, but otherwise, not impressed with him.

SteelShooter
06-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Does this mean that now Najeh gets Deuces old spot at the domino table? :wink02:

I wonder if the Front Office will spring for new sweats or if Najeh will have to wear hand-me-downs? :hunch:

It can't be Barlow right off the bat. Traditionally we get a handful of decent games before the re-treads get to sit on the sideline with an injury while soaking up :cash:cash:cash.

Please note sarcasm. :flap:

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Haynes has two purposes, competition at camp and a back who has shown signs of solid blocking ability. I like the signing. The more competition the better.

SteelerFanInCA
06-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of Haynes. I think we can get buy with Barlow or Davenport. Glad to see he is back from the injury though.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Also, going by some reports it seems that our offense seems to be changing to a degree (Ben practicing no-huddle), having Haynes could definately come in handy.

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
matt spaeth and carrying 3 TE's is gonna take a roster spot from somewhere. i thought it might be haynes, or s. morey, or marvin philip. more than likely morey or marvin philip being that we got mayhan. okolbi must be looking over his shoulder and dallas baker is gonna have to fight like hell to secure a spot on the 53.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
matt spaeth and carrying 3 TE's is gonna take a roster spot from somewhere. i thought it might be haynes, or s. morey, or marvin philip. more than likely morey or marvin philip being that we got mayhan. okolbi must be looking over his shoulder and dallas baker is gonna have to fight like hell to secure a spot on the 53.

Morey is gone. He's on the Arizona Steelers roster.

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Morey is gone. He's on the Arizona Steelers roster.yeah, i know. im just wondering whose roster spot will be erased with the addition of an extra tight end (weve always just carried 2 in the past and i seriously doubt tuman or spaeth dont make the team). i thought spaeth would slide into moreys slot as a 6th wr. it probably means kuhn/kreider or dallas baker and possibly marvin philip will be fighting it out in camp for a final spot. right now i say baker goes to the practice squad along with kuhn, and spaeth fills the empy slot morey always filled. like always, i think we will have 4 rb's on the active 53.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 06:55 PM
My bad, read it wrong.

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 07:04 PM
My bad, read it wrong.lol. i didnt word it that great either. so who has the hardest chance of making the roster if baker proves to hold the value of a 3rd or 4th round pick (say he shows all the potential hank baskett did last year for the eagles)

haynes, kuhn, kreider, spaeth, philip, (i fogot to add logan), other?

The Duke
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
i haven't thoguth much about roster spots, its definetely gonna be tighter this year with the changes in offense.

OneForTheToe
06-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I also think we might eliminate one RB spot. Can Kuhn go back to the practice squad? I know there are years in the league limits, but I'm not sure what they are. If he can that would be the most likely outcome. He could be activated with an injury to a RB or to Krieder. Phillip or Barker would also be good candidates for the PS. Of course, if Phillips is such a good prospect, then he might not survive making to the practice squad.

Preacher
06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Resign doesn't mean he makes the team.

I think he competes, and will have to beat Kreider to make it. There may be a spot at 4th RB for him. But I doubt it.

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
unfortunately this seals the deal of the wild, longshot hope that curtis martin retires a steeler. while he held out hope of returning as late as this weekend, i just read he plans on calling it a career (nfl network).

id like to think a top 5 back of all time was just hoping for his hometown team to call. sorry martin. woulda been nice to get you the ring you really deserved.

Galax Steeler
06-05-2007, 04:43 AM
I think veron is ok but I don't think he will be what he was I look for barlow to unseat him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 04:59 AM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Verron Haynes returned to the playing field Monday for the first time since sustaining what he feared might be a career-ending knee injury.
And as much resolve as the fifth-year veteran showed while rehabilitating his reconstructed left knee, Haynes appears equally determined to force his way into the Steelers' equation at running back if not reclaim his role as third-down back.

He said he has made such strides during rehabilitation sessions at the Steelers' South Side practice facility and in Atlanta that he doesn't expect to be the same player that he was, but even better.

"(The left) leg is stronger than the other one," Haynes said after re-signing with the Steelers and taking part in a voluntary practice, "so I'm very excited about this opportunity to get back out there and just showcase my talent again."

Haynes tore his ACL as well as other ligaments during a game Oct. 29 in Oakland.
He underwent surgery less than a week later and got good news: He didn't suffer any nerve damage.

The Steelers released him at the beginning of March for salary-cap reasons but promised Haynes they would re-sign him if he showed he would be back to full strength for training camp.

He passed a physical Thursday, putting him a couple of months ahead of the original recovery schedule and clearing his return to football.

"I dug down deep and found out a lot about myself, and adversity, I think, it brings out character," said Haynes, who signed a one-year, incentive-laden deal.

"He's never approached his recovery as 'I want to get back to where I was,' " said Ryan Tollner, Haynes' agent. "He's approached it as 'I want to be better than I ever was.' "

The 5-foot-10, 222-pound Haynes had been a reliable third-down back and proved to be particularly adept at picking up blitzes before being hurt. His return to the Steelers will add to the competition for playing time behind Willie Parker.

"It's the more the better when it comes to competition, because that's what they thrive off of. That's what they fear, the thought of losing a job, and it drives and pushes our group," Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson said.

There will be plenty of competition for the role of third-down back.

Najeh Davenport filled it last season after Haynes went down, and the recently signed Kevan Barlow showed during his years with the 49ers that he can be effective as a third-down back.

Parker is also a possibility, since the Steelers are intrigued with the prospect of taking advantage of his speed in open space.

"We've just got to keep giving everybody an opportunity to see where they fit in once we start (training camp)," Wilson said. "They're getting after it, and when they're not in there they're mad because they want a chance to get after it. It's healthy. It's good for the group."

The one thing that Haynes said he has to overcome in regard to his knee injury is the mental aspect -- specifically having the confidence to make the kind of cuts he did before he was hurt.

"I feel better than I ever did -- quick, fast -- so just stay focused and get over the hurdle, that babying it and all that," said Haynes, who has rushed for 738 yards and three touchdowns in 60 career games with the Steelers. "You've just got to let it go."

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Tuesday, June 05, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One day, you're in the backfield of the reigning Super Bowl champions. The next, you wonder if you'll ever play football again, or walk properly for that matter.

It happened to Verron Haynes two days before Halloween in Oakland. You think quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers were scary in that 20-13 loss, nothing was as frightful as the popping sounds in Haynes' left knee as the ligaments snapped like old rubber bands.

"It was a whole bunch of ligaments up in there," Haynes said. "Go down the line and name them."

There was the PCL, the MCL and the dreaded ACL, for starters. Only one good piece of news came out of it -- no nerve damage. Haynes had a chance, a long one through rehabilitation and plenty of prayer.

Yesterday, before thanking his surgeon, his trainers and God, Haynes re-signed with the Steelers and took that long-anticipated step of rejoining his teammates on the practice field for the first time in more than seven months. He is ahead of schedule and hopes to stay that way as he tries to reclaim his job as third-down back and possibly backup to starter Willie Parker amidst increasing competition.

"Terrific," Haynes declared after the Steelers began their next-to-last week of practice before breaking June 14 until July 23 training camp. "I feel good. I feel fresh, revived. And I'm just ready to get out there and work. It's a great feeling. I took the field for the first time and I felt like a rookie all over again, real good."

So good that he wore no brace, just a small piece of rubber around the knee that's supposed to hinder arthritis. It was good news not only for Haynes but also the Steelers. Less than three months ago, they were frightfully thin in the backfield with Parker the only real experienced running back. Najeh Davenport's contract had expired, and Duce Staley and Haynes had been released.

The Steelers actually did Haynes a favor. He was able to collect some money for being released while injured before the new NFL calendar year started in March. Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, said at the time that Haynes would continue to rehab his knee at their facility and they hoped to re-sign him if he passed their physical.

"It was a big concern," Haynes said of his future. "But the reality of it is Mr. Rooney, Kevin and Mike Tomlin told me all along don't worry about it, we have you, you'll work out here and we'll bring you back. And true to their word, they did."

Not only that, but Davenport also re-signed, and after the Steelers failed to draft a back in April, they signed veteran Kevan Barlow. Now Haynes must compete with them to get his old job back.

"The role will define itself," Haynes said. "I'm not about the numbers game. That will play itself out in training camp."

Haynes is more reliable than spectacular as a back, particularly on third down. He caught 57 passes for 417 yards in his five seasons, and ran for 738 yards and a 4.2-yard average. Nobody during that time has been able to block as well on third downs, something the Steelers consider a priority when he lines up virtually next to the quarterback in the shotgun formation.

He predicted he will be better than ever next season.

"We took the Cybex test they use for the Combine and this leg is actually stronger," he said with a nod toward his left knee. "I'm very excited about this opportunity to get back out there and just showcase my talent again."

NOTES -- Tackle Willie Colon joined a gaggle of linemen who have tried their hand at the center position this spring when he snapped the ball to the quarterbacks yesterday in team drills. Others at the position have been Chukky Okobi, Sean Mahan, Marvin Philip and Kendall Simmons. ... Roethlisberger missed his first practice of the spring in order to play in Jim Kelly's charity golf tournament in New York

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Happy to be back
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

There wasn't anybody happier to be on the field practicing during the Steelers OTA's on Monday than running back Verron Haynes.

Haynes re-signed with the team on Monday morning, and was out on the field moments later taking part in his first practice since injuring his left ACL in the Steelers-Raiders game on Oct. 29.

"I feel revived," said Haynes. "I am just ready to get out there and work. I took the field for the first time. I feel like a rookie all over again. I feel real good."

Haynes had surgery a few days after suffering the injury and has been undergoing rehab with the team's trainers - John Norwig, Ryan Grove and Ariko Iso ? ever since. He knew the injury was bad when it first happened, but never thought it would keep him sidelined as long as it did.

"When I stood up on it I feel back down," said Haynes. "I had no stability. I knew I wouldn't be playing the next week."

He quickly learned that the ACL, as well as other ligaments, had been damaged and his focus changed from getting on the field in a few weeks, to just getting back out there period as he wondered if he would ever play again.

"It crossed my mind," said Haynes. "I battled a lot and had to overcome a lot. I dug down deep and found out a lot about myself. I think adversity brings out character. Every day I have just persevered and tried to get better."

Haynes, who was released by the team on March 1, was not even certain if he would make it back in time for training camp. He is ahead of schedule, and that is why the Steelers re-signed him.

"It was a big concern," said Haynes. "Mr. Rooney, Kevin (Colbert) and Coach (Mike) Tomlin told me they would bring me back. True to their word they did."

It will be a battle for Haynes, who faces competition from Najeh Davenport and Kevan Barlow. But he is ready for it.

"I just am coming out here and competing," said Haynes. "The roles will define themselves. I am not about the numbers game. That will play out itself in training camp."

Haynes feels confident that he will be back to his old self by camp, and actually, maybe even a little more.

"I think I will be better," said Haynes. "I am excited about the opportunity.

"Mentally there are some things I will have to get over. First it was coming back, am I going to be able to do that. I've crossed that. Now you are out here running and cutting every day and it's about am I going to be able to play at the same level or even higher? I think I am proving that now. I am out there and felt good, better than I ever did. I just need to stay focused and get over the hurdle."

SteelCzar76
06-05-2007, 05:46 AM
The truth is we've got Willie,.... and then a cast of unexceptional potential backups. Whom in my opinion are relatively of the same quality regarding potential production. Though i might give Dookie a slight edge in light of his abilities in the return game.

So basically i think it's gonna come down to whomever impresses Tomlin the most from a 'work ethic' standpoint. (Regarding who makes the final cut)

And if that happens to be Verron or even dare i say,...John Kuhn (LMAO),.....so be it.

ChronoCross
06-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I am very happy myself to see Haynes back, but the big question as some can he stay healthy for us. Some may not like Haynes being back, but when healthy Haynes is a great 3rd down back. There will be great comp in camp to see who makes the team on the RB side. But lets not forget about Barlow who came into camp slower then a grandma walking across the street, ya he might give some comp, but to me he is no more then the little engine who couldn't, but hey he might surprise some of us doubters and make a spot. Then the young guns who are there who might surprise us to a make a big show and steal the spots. I myself only think Willie and Daven are secure at the position rest is up in the air.

ben2hines=6
06-06-2007, 01:02 AM
i think signing verron back is more of a special teams move than anything.....this guy could be an ace.....and already knowing the fb spot will help his chances in the two back sets were supposed to be running

Crushzilla
06-06-2007, 01:09 AM
The resigning of Haynes is a big problem in John Kuhn's Fall of Fame run...

we deyyy x86
06-06-2007, 09:30 AM
veron is a good mud runner. a few years back he ran like the wind in a muddy, rainy game against miami that took place during a hurricane. hopefully his knee will hold up for him. i think he has great potential.

Jeremy
06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I still don't see how Kevan Barlow is a better player than Veron. Even in his prime, Barlow was little better than a platoon back. If anything, Veron and Barlow will compete with Davenport for the 2nd back spot with the two losers and Russell being in the mix for the third down back.