PDA

View Full Version : Bears' Johnson Suspended eight games

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Bears' Johnson suspended by the NFL for eight games

By The Associated Press
Monday, June 4, 2007

Tank Johnson of the Chicago Bears has been suspended by the NFL for the first eight games of the 2007 regular season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_510953.html

Livinginthe past
06-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow. Is thug culture finally on the run from Sheriff Goodell?

Preacher
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey LITP...

I sure hope so.

Though I gotta laugh at the length of the Newspaper article.

I, you, or anyone else would be hard-pressed to find "spin" in that article! :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow. Is thug culture finally on the run from Sheriff Goodell?

As long as he keeps handing out these types of punishments hopefully it will cut down on the amount of arrests. While I feel scumbags such as Pacman Jones and Chris Henry should have been booted out of the league for good, these punishments are better than what has been handed down in the past.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I, you, or anyone else would be hard-pressed to find "spin" in that article! :sofunny:

That's because it doesn't involve a Steeler player. It's only "spin" when a Steeler player opens his mouth or get's in some type of trouble. You didn't know that? :wink02:

Livinginthe past
06-04-2007, 04:18 PM
As long as he keeps handing out these types of punishments hopefully it will cut down on the amount of arrests. While I feel scumbags such as Pacman Jones and Chris Henry should have been booted out of the league for good, these punishments are better than what has been handed down in the past.

Hit 'em in the pocket and hit 'em hard - thats the recipe for success.

Like you say, those guys should be gone for good but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Goodell could have gained some decent publicity (if thats all he was after) by giving out lesser sentences becasue the leagues attitude to the situation has been pitiful up to now.

fansince'76
06-04-2007, 04:20 PM
....the leagues attitude to the situation has been pitiful up to now.

Not to mention the NFLPA's - their grievance to the NFL to have Pacman's punishment reduced is just another fine example.

83-Steelers-43
06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Not to mention the NFLPA's - their grievance to the NFL to have Pacman's punishment reduced is just another fine example.

I honestly thought the NFLPA would show some class in the Pacman Jones situation and let the league lay down the law. Apparently they have no problem with one of it's player's actions leading to a guy living in a wheelchair for the rest of his life (nevermind his other arrests). I wonder if that guy thinks Pacman's sentence should be reduced?

It's a joke.

Preacher
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I honestly thought the NFLPA would show some class in the Pacman Jones situation and let the league lay down the law. Apparently they have no problem with one of it's player's actions leading to a guy living in a wheelchair for the rest of his life (nevermind his other arrests). I wonder if that guy thinks Pacman's sentence should be reduced?

It's a joke.

Yep. I gotta agree.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Ok, Pac Man gets suspended for a whole season (which I agree with but I felt he should kicked out for good). Then Tank gets 8 games.....Which leads me to my point...How did Chris Henry only get 8 games?.....I think Henry at least should have been gone for a season but just like Pac Man been kicked out for life....

I understand why Tank got suspended.....But looking at the fact Henry only got 8 games then noway Tank should have gotten 8 games to.....

RoethlisBURGHer
06-04-2007, 08:04 PM

The NFLPA really has no choice if the player wants to appeal his suspension.It's a part of the CBA,that the NFLPA is to file a greivance on behalf of any player who requests his suspension to be appealed.

I understand why Tank only got 8 games,even though his arrest lead to jail time.The guns were all registered,but they were all regestered in Arizona instead of Illinois.

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 11:45 PM
personally i think tank got a raw deal if you just compare it to henry and jones suspensions.

i wont pretend to know what led up to him seeing his besfriend and bodyguard getting murdered, but he wasnt even ticketed in the incident. i dont know what led up to the raid on his home but all he was busted for was owning non illegal items, which anyone of age can legally purchase, in the wrong state. its not like he was shooting them in a crowd of people (henry) or his actions led to one man in a wheelchair for life (pacman). i'll wait until the hammer is dropped on vick before i decide if fair is really fair, but im starting to feel goodell dropping the hammer hard on these 3 is laying the groundwork for him to go easy on vick if hes not convicted on anything. vick suspended costs the nfl ratings and dollars. nobody but falcons or die hard fans will tune into the falcons w/o vick. tank in or out of a game really has no effect on how many viewers watch. nor does henry or jones.

verks36
06-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Yo like i no what tank johnson did was bad but like eight games is alot. Like think about it when Shawne gets tested postitve for steriods he only gets 4 games. This seems a little to harsh

tony hipchest
06-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Yo like i no what tank johnson did was bad but like eight games is alot. Like think about it when Shawne gets tested postitve for steriods he only gets 4 games. This seems a little to harsh

like Yo word yous on point. nahm sayun? :chuckle:

Preacher
06-05-2007, 01:32 AM
personally i think tank got a raw deal if you just compare it to henry and jones suspensions.

i wont pretend to know what led up to him seeing his besfriend and bodyguard getting murdered, but he wasnt even ticketed in the incident. i dont know what led up to the raid on his home but all he was busted for was owning non illegal items, which anyone of age can legally purchase, in the wrong state. its not like he was shooting them in a crowd of people (henry) or his actions led to one man in a wheelchair for life (pacman). i'll wait until the hammer is dropped on vick before i decide if fair is really fair, but im starting to feel goodell dropping the hammer hard on these 3 is laying the groundwork for him to go easy on vick if hes not convicted on anything. vick suspended costs the nfl ratings and dollars. nobody but falcons or die hard fans will tune into the falcons w/o vick. tank in or out of a game really has no effect on how many viewers watch. nor does henry or jones.

There is always unequal punishment when a system is first put out. However, what we have currently is FAR better then two or three years ago.

fansince'76
06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
The NFLPA really has no choice if the player wants to appeal his suspension.

Sorry, but I beg to differ:

The NFLPA normally represents the individual player in his grievance, and is successful in considerably more than half of the cases. Filing a grievance is a legally guaranteed right of the player, so long as the grievance has merit.

http://www.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFLPA_Faqs.aspx (under "What is a Grievance?" link)

I'm not an attorney, but it seems to me that the NFLPA would be the party that determines whether a grievance has merit or not. It's also my personal opinion considering the Pacman Jones case that he doesn't have a leg to stand on. He throws 80 grand in small bills on the stage of a strip club, like a fool tries to retrieve it, and one of his "homies" winds up shooting one of the club's bouncers, resulting in the guy winding up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life (for basically doing his job), and Jones is then seen driving off with the shooter. This grievance has merit? Don't think so, considering that Jones is essentially an accessory to the crime of assault with a deadly weapon (at a minimum - I think the DA in this case can reasonably push for attempted murder).

Elvis
06-05-2007, 06:55 AM
If you do the crime you should pay the price and that is what Tank should accept. Just stay out of trouble guys... its not that hard to do for some.. Its rediculous what some of these guys think that they can get away with. Just play by the rules and all will be fine...
God Still Answers Prayers...
Elvis

lilyoder6
06-05-2007, 06:57 PM
yea, and if tank does folloe the rules he will only be suspended for 6 games.. the bears def is hurting with ppl leaving, the briggs sega, and harris coming back after surgery.