PDA

View Full Version : Steelers try another center option

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 03:54 AM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The question isn't who is playing center for the Steelers these days.
Rather, it is who isn't playing center.

Willie Colon took a turn at the position during a voluntary practice at the team's South Side facility Monday, which may come as a surprise for a number of reasons, not the least of which is he has never played it.

"That was the first live reps ever in my life," the second-year player said.

And to hear Colon talk, it won't be the last time the right tackle will get repetitions at center.
He said the coaches have indicated that they are going to give him a look at the position, even though the Steelers already have Chukky Okobi, Sean Mahan and Marvin Philip there.

Kendall Simmons could also be a candidate to replace the retired Jeff Hartings, as offensive line coach Larry Zierlein said last week that the right guard will get some work at center during organized team activity practices.

Said Colon of experimenting at center: "I'm not running from the opportunity, so I'm just trying to do the best I can with it."

The 6-foot-3, 315-pounder played right tackle at Hofstra University and started the final two games of the 2006 season at the position after Max Starks was hurt.

Colon said he prefers playing right tackle but added that he would not object to a move to center.

"Whatever gets me a job," Colon said, "I'll do it."

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm not as much worried as to what appears to be some serious indecision as to who our center will be....as I am to the fact that with Colon at center...Starks would remain at right tackle!!!

DACEB
06-05-2007, 06:15 AM
I think all this movement on the O-line comes down to the coaches looking for versatile linemen who they can keep beyond this upcoming season. With all of the upcoming FAs on the O-line they are planning ahead to see who will be signed next year not only who will start this year.

Just another great move by coach Tomlin!

ChronoCross
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
All I have to say is wow, did not see this coming, but with all the problems we had last year giving up sacks, and failing in there blocking for the run game during away games, does not surprise me that they are working to find the right combination on the line for this year. Only thing I can say is if my hopeful for center does not win the job (Okobi) he needs to be cut because the amount of money were paying him to sit the bench as a backup is just to much, are have him at least restructure his contract. It will be interesting to see who else they try at center before making a decision.

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
i betcha big bad john kuhn can play center. like LLT said it does look like an awful lot of indecision, but i think dacb could be right, with so many linemans contracts coming up, now is the best time to see what we got and where. we couldnt be doing this type of player practice and research during the season when we have actual opponents to practice for.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
i betcha big bad john kuhn can play center. like LLT said it does look like an awful lot of indecision, but i think dacb could be right, with so many linemans contracts coming up, now is the best time to see what we got and where. we couldnt be doing this type of player practice and research during the season when we have actual opponents to practice for.

I am still hoping for a Smith,Faneca,Mahan,Simmons,Colon line...with Essex getting alot of time at Tackle...and Kimo getting alot of time at Guard....

...as a starter...Starks makes a very good backup.:rolleyes:

...and I thought Kuhn was going to be our third QB?

ChronoCross
06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I am still hoping for a Smith,Faneca,Mahan,Simmons,Colon line...with Essex getting alot of time at Tackle...and Kimo getting alot of time at Guard....

I was thinking Smith, Faneca, Okobi, Mahan, Colon. Unless of course Simmons comes back strong, but who knows. But it will keep everyone guessing until they release the final starting lineup for the O Line.

polamalufan43
06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
This is one of those situations when I honestly can't tell which way this will go. However, I'm not too worried about it because we have some great options.

~PF43:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I was thinking Smith, Faneca, Okobi, Mahan, Colon. Unless of course Simmons comes back strong, but who knows. But it will keep everyone guessing until they release the final starting lineup for the O Line.

How about a compromise of Smith, Faneca, SIMMONS, Mahan, Colon...(I just cant wrap my arms around Okobi)

ChronoCross
06-05-2007, 02:15 PM
How about a compromise of Smith, Faneca, SIMMONS, Mahan, Colon...(I just cant wrap my arms around Okobi)

You would think him being behind hartings for this long he would have the knowledge and skills already to lockup this spot, but I guess there having second thoughts as am I about Okobi myself now. Ill comp with that line with ya. I could see that as one of the many possible outcomes.

Elvis
06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Good points everyone.. my starters look like this
LT Marvel Smith-He is the only mainstay at his position last year.
LG Alan Faneca- That is if he decides he wants to play for winning team this year.
C Chuki Okobi-If this guy isnt the starter, then they should pay him minimum wages or release him, he has been here too long not to take advantage of this perfect opportunity that he now has.
RG Kendal Simmons- When healthy, he is a great player.
RT Willie Colon- This would be a nice time to see what he has.
:coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Good points everyone.. my starters look like this
LT Marvel Smith-He is the only mainstay at his position last year.
LG Alan Faneca- That is if he decides he wants to play for winning team this year.
C Chuki Okobi-If this guy isnt the starter, then they should pay him minimum wages or release him, he has been here too long not to take advantage of this perfect opportunity that he now has.
RG Kendal Simmons- When healthy, he is a great player.
RT Willie Colon- This would be a nice time to see what he has.
:coffee:

I am beginning to see a pattern of ..the center position being up for grabs...and Starks NEEDS TO GO!!!

ChronoCross
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I am beginning to see a pattern of ..the center position being up for grabs...and Starks NEEDS TO GO!!!

Ya Starks does need to go. So lets hope Colon is only a experiment at center and he does not win that. I think Colon will for sure beat out Starks for RT. But as were seeing were going to have to wait until the big battle for Center is over to actually see how the battles will take place for RG and RT.

I am pretty sure Mahan can beat out Simmons for RG;

So if we go
C Okobi
RG Mahan
RT Colon

C Simmons
RG Mahan
RT Colon

C Mahan
RG Simmons
RT Colon

But What IF;
C Colon
RG Mahan
RT Starks

C Colon
RG Simmons
RT Starks

There is so much relying on the outcome of this center position which would shine the light more on RG and RT. The only player who can play one position on this outcome is Okobi so if he does not win Center then I see him gone to as well as Starks if for say Mahan are Simmons wins Center. I am pretty sure Colon as well as others think he can take Starks easily.

OneForTheToe
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I would be surprised if Willie started at center. Makes me a little nervous that we are still lookin for yet someon else for the center position. I was leaning towards okobi but lately I'm starting to think the Steelers might go with Mahan at center. I base this on my extensive lack of knowledge and complete access to absolutely no inside information.

The Duke
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
there's lot of competition for the starting jobs, let's just hope they choose the best.

verks36
06-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I really hope Chuckie gets it. I think he would fit it well

Stlrs4Life
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, being that it is only mini camps, I can deal with it, but if we go into camp doing the same, I believe we are ........................... yo know what!

Preacher
06-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, being that it is only mini camps, I can deal with it, but if we go into camp doing the same, I believe we are ........................... yo know what!

Stlrs4life...

dang I like post with you in non-political threads... we usually agree here!!! :sofunny::sofunny:

And yeah, right now, I like the fact that they are trying different people. However, I hope it is settled quickly come camp.

BeuffordLTD
06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I think all this movement on the O-line comes down to the coaches looking for versatile linemen who they can keep beyond this upcoming season. With all of the upcoming FAs on the O-line they are planning ahead to see who will be signed next year not only who will start this year.

Just another great move by coach Tomlin!

I definately agree with this. The man who called the blocking signals, Hartings, is gone. The coaches that created the signals for the blocking assignments are gone. There isn't a better way to make an entire team (here the OL) understand the each and every assignment than making everyone perform each and every job.

Afterall, the OL is going to be taking their blocking assignments on Ben's signal call...at least that's what we have heard.

Preacher
06-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I am just happy to see Willie getting a shot. I just love his attitude...

BeuffordLTD
06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I am just happy to see Willie getting a shot. I just love his attitude...

Hungry and Mean.

That's what I like in a Steeler.

Steel Pit
06-06-2007, 01:52 AM

Na, the Steelers are going issue number 32 to John Kuhn and he will be our featured back.

As for Chuckie being the starting Center, I don't know? I think that he has sat on the bench too long and gotten a bit stiff and lazy.