PDA

View Full Version : Upshaw's Physical Threats Taken Seriously

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/508/story/147647.html

LABOR LEADER
Upshaw threat taken seriously
DeLamielleure target as NFLPA head says he'll `break his neck'

Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure said Monday he takes as a serious threat comments made about him last week by Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association.

In a story in Friday's editions of the Philadelphia Daily News, Upshaw defended his record for helping retired players and took aim at DeLamielleure, one of his harshest critics who has called for the NFLPA leader's ouster.

"A guy like DeLamielleure says the things he said about me; you think I'm going to invite him to dinner? No. I'm going to break his ...damn neck," Upshaw was quoted as saying by the Daily News.
Upshaw also said he told a group of Hall of Famers last year: "I'm not one to turn the other cheek. You're not going to hit me in the nose and I'm going to sit there and smile."

Upshaw declined to comment when questioned by the Observer in person Saturday at a retired players convention in Atlanta. He also did not respond to e-mailed questions Monday.
Upshaw also said he told a group of Hall of Famers last year: "I'm not one to turn the other cheek. You're not going to hit me in the nose and I'm going to sit there and smile."

Upshaw declined to comment when questioned by the Observer in person Saturday at a retired players convention in Atlanta. He also did not respond to e-mailed questions Monday.

DeLamielleure, a Charlotte resident, said Upshaw's comments were unsettling to his family.

"At first, I was angry," he said. "All the competitiveness comes out in you and I thought, `I'd like to see him try.' But then reality sets in.

"My wife was petrified. We grew up in Detroit. You know what unions are. You hear about it. She goes, `Hey, this guy is a head of a union, a powerful union, and (when) he makes a threat like that, you'd better take it serious.'

"I'm not afraid of Upshaw, but he has the means to do what he said."

DeLamielleure has been a persistent critic of Upshaw and the NFLPA, saying they "stink" as advocates for retired players. He and fellow Hall of Famers Mike Ditka and Lem Barney held a pre-Super Bowl news conference in February to air concerns.

Hall of Fame linebacker Sam Huff, formerly of the Washington Redskins, said no one should take Upshaw's comment lightly.

"You can't say something like that," said Huff. "You're threatening a guy's life."

Former Cleveland Browns defensive back Bernie Parrish, a leader in the anti-NFLPA movement among retirees, said of Upshaw: "He's got a lot of money at stake. I don't trust him not to be violent. I have some concern for my friend Joe DeLamielleure."

Dr. Tom Terrill, an expert on labor unions and a University of South Carolina distinguished professor emeritus, said Upshaw's comments were grossly inappropriate.

"Upshaw has been in that position a long time (24 years)," said Terrill, who taught labor history and still serves as a labor arbitrator. "It sounds like he thinks he owns it. This is not a good attitude to have if you want to keep your position.

"Union leaders do this sometimes. They get in positions where they get elected and re-elected and (they think) no one can challenge them, that they can overcome any opposition. It's just not wise to do that."

If Upshaw, a Hall of Fame offensive lineman with the Oakland Raiders, were a current player or a team or a league employee, his comment might be considered a violation of the NFL's new conduct policy. One violation cited in the policy is "any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons."

However, as head of the players association, Upshaw is not subject to discipline under the policy.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, through league spokesman Greg Aiello, declined comment. Goodell is scheduled to speak in Charlotte today at a luncheon honoring Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.

Former Baltimore Colts safety Bruce Laird, who heads the Baltimore chapter of the NFL Retired Players Association, said he was deeply concerned by what Upshaw said and that it sets a poor example for current players.

"What's amazing is with the way the National Football League has had its problems in 2006 and 2007 and the concern about steroids and active players being out of line with drugs or guns, (here's) the executive director of active players threatening another Hall of Famer," said Laird.

"I think as any player, whether you're active or retired, you really have to sit back and go `Do you want this man representing you and the league?' That is the real question."

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 02:58 PM
i heard an interview with Joe DeLamielleure this morning and i dont think this story is going away unless he "jumps" off a bridge wearing cement shoes. this all boils down to the pension plans for the old timers and he is starting a crusade that is gonna really get attention and start growing after this. he is currently trying to contact as many media outlets as possible and he is gonna smear upshaws image the whole way, and make him look like a dangerous gangster. its an interesting strategy im definitely wanting to see how plays out.

fansince'76
06-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Upshaw was a great player and I respect him very much in that regard. As the head of the NFLPA, I think he's a slimy P.O.S.

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Upshaw was a great player and I respect him very much in that regard. As the head of the NFLPA, I think he's a slimy P.O.S.
of course i dont think upshaw is a danger or gonna start whacking his opponents, but that his critics are going this far as to paint him in this light shows how serious these veterans are about changing the pension plans.

i cant blame them. while punks like pacman are tossing $80,000 on strippers in a night, people who paved the way like webster and gilliam are dying in a practically destitute condition. all these old schoolers like ditka paved the way. sure hes well to do, but today tim ryan (who told DeLamielleure he was 100% behind him) practically scoffed at the $1000/ month they receive as pension. todays players at the age of 55 will be getting about 400K/year. you never hear old school baseball players or nba players bitching about their pensions. as they said, the nfl's plan sucks compared to theirs.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Upshaw was stupid to say when he said and he deserves every single thing he gets in the backlash of it.

fansince'76
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
of course i dont think upshaw is a danger or gonna start whacking his opponents, but that his critics are going this far as to paint him in this light shows how serious these veterans are about changing the pension plans.

i cant blame them. while punks like pacman are tossing $80,000 on strippers in a night, people who paved the way like webster and gilliam are dying in a practically destitute condition. all these old schoolers like ditka paved the way. sure hes well to do, but today tim ryan (who told DeLamielleure he was 100% behind him) practically scoffed at the $1000/ month they receive as pension. todays players at the age of 55 will be getting about 400K/year. you never hear old school baseball players or nba players bitching about their pensions. as they said, the nfl's plan sucks compared to theirs.

That was kinda my point, Tony - Upshaw himself said that he (paraphrase) "doesn't work for the retired players, only active players." My point remains that he's a scumbag. Yes, the retired players should be taken care of much better than they are and have been, and Upshaw isn't the least bit compassionate about any of them. He sure as hell isn't going to bat for them, and they're his "brethren," so to speak. How low is that?

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
That was kinda my point, Tony - Upshaw himself said that he (paraphrase) "doesn't work for the retired players, only active players." My point remains that he's a scumbag. Yes, the retired players should be taken care of much better than they are and have been, and Upshaw is a major obstacle in their situation improving. He sure as hell isn't going to bat for them, and they're his "brethren," so to speak. How low is that?i was building off of your point. scumbag is kinda fitting, the players now trying to turn him into a "hoffa" type of character is kinda extreme but i see them working.

i agree with roethlisBURGHer too. upshaw took the bait. now he will have to deal with the fallout. that may be alot or nothing at all, but i see all the sports websites are starting to put the story in their headlines. its definitely growing legs.

Atlanta Dan
06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I have no doubt that as a young adult Gene Upshaw's role model for dealing with others was Al Davis.

Upshaw's thuggish comments and practice of abusing those who cannot benefit him are classic traits of Oakland Al.

NM

Edman
06-06-2007, 05:39 AM
I already knew Upshaw was a piece of crap. So this doesn't comes off as a surprise.

I'll be royally ticked if this gets swept under the rug. Upshaw deserves whatever criticism he gets.

Jeremy
06-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Upshaw was already on thin ice. This didn't do anything to help his reputation with the rank and file.

Elvis
06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Ok.. this is my opinion on the NFLPA. I think that the older players should have this help. The players that have played the last 5 to 10 years that made over a certain amount of $$$ should not. If they sit out here and make $8.5 million a year then they can afford some kind of life insurance and just accidental insurance on their own. How can anyone make that kind of cash and not afford to take care of their selves for the rest of their retired lives? Give me a break, if you cant take care of your $$$ better than that then you need to hire a secratery to take care of it. Anyone should know that anyone can live pretty much all their lives with just that $8.5 million ... Is there anyone in this forrum that couldnt live the rest of their lives on that kind of onetime payment? I just about bet anyone here that I could, and live pretty darn good. Now, I know that the old time players didnt make near the $$ that the last 10 years players have, so they need the help. But someone is gonna have to teach Upshaw a lesson of a good but kicking in my opinion:jawdrop:

rbryan
06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I have no doubt that as a young adult Gene Upshaw's role model for dealing with others was Al Davis.

Upshaw's thuggish comments and practice of abusing those who cannot benefit him are classic traits of Oakland Al.

NM

Kinda getting off track here but this brings to mind the "America's Game" installment I just saw a couple days ago. 76 Raiders. They are actually proud of the fact that they are a bunch of cheating scumbags. If you watched the segment a couple of the players and Madden himself were laughing about how one O Lineman in particular had a "broken thumb" for seven years just so he had an excuse to wrap up God knows what underneath the cast and used it to jam into the midsection of opposing players. (He named LC Greenwood as one he did it to) They had a trainer on staff who was an "expert" at taping players up with "illegal materials?? metal, wood, etc?? under the tape to use as a weapon on the field.

The majority of the Raider Nation is comprised of a bunch of scumbags who also think this amusing. Al Davis is the biggest POS thats ever been a part of the NFL. Karma is a bitch though, the Raiders organization is in about the same shape as Al himself. In need of a diaper change. See ya in the funny papers Al.

I hope Upshaw loses his job over this.

silver & black
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM

He represents the players of today. They are just as much responsible as he is for taking care of the old timers... THEY have to agree to give up more money for the fund, as I understand it. Upshaw's responsibility is to look after the players that are playing NOW... not back in the day.

I'm sure he would like to take care of the old timers, as he is one of them... sort of, but the entire blame for this cannot, and should not be placed entirely on his shoulders.

I'm not defending because he was a Raider... I'm not defending him at all, really. I'm just throwing out the rest of the story because no one ever wants to aknowledge that the crusade isn't one sided and that Upshaw can only do so much without the player's cooperation.

silver & black
06-06-2007, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=rbryan;254165The majority of the Raider Nation is comprised of a bunch of scumbags who also think this amusing. Al Davis is the biggest POS thats ever been a part of the NFL. Karma is a bitch though, the Raiders organization is in about the same shape as Al himself. In need of a diaper change. See ya in the funny papers Al.

I hope Upshaw loses his job over this.[/QUOTE]

Thats a pretty broad brush you paint with!

Al Davis is a HUGE part of why you have the NFL as it is today... like him or not.

The Raider Nation, of which I am part of, is not by a long shot comprised of scumbags, as you so eloquently put it.

I will apologize to most of you now, since I will probably get banned after this. Its been a pleasure to talk with some of you about the old days and the Raiders, Steelers rivalry. I've enjoyed my time here... sorry it had to end this way, but I will not stand by and take that kind of crap... as I doubt most of you would take that kind of talk about your team, owner and fans either.

Good luck with your season... bye. :wave:

rbryan
06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
See ya pal, you just helped to prove my point. Go watch the episode of America's Game that I referenced and tell me how proud you are of your Raider Nation.

rbryan
06-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Al Davis is a HUGE part of why you have the NFL as it is today... like him or not.

The Raider Nation, of which I am part of, is not by a long shot comprised of scumbags, as you so eloquently put it.

I will apologize to most of you now, since I will probably get banned after this. Its been a pleasure to talk with some of you about the old days and the Raiders, Steelers rivalry. I've enjoyed my time here... sorry it had to end this way, but I will not stand by and take that kind of crap... as I doubt most of you would take that kind of talk about your team, owner and fans either.

You must be talking about the way the NFL is in Cincinnati.

Atlanta Dan
06-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Silver & Black - I assume from reading my prior posts you know I was not attcking the Raiders' franchise, players, or fans. As Dwight White said in grudging admiration about about the '70s Raiders on the '75 Steelers "America's Game" broadcast, "they were the closest thing to us."

However, with regard to Davis, he left Oakland for LA, sued the NFL for anti-trust violations, left LA for Oakland, has been shaking down the City of Oakland since he returned, and has driven a proud franchise into the ground because he is still micro-managing the team and driving away any potentially good coach because the Raiders HC job is toxic. He will screw anyone to advance his own interests, including the best interests of his own franchise and its fans if it feeds his senile ego. So I stand by those remarks - Al Davis made his last positive contribution to the NFL about 25 years ago and a lot of neagtive ones since then.

And as far as Davis being Upshaw's role model, since Davis ran everything when Upshaw played there who else would you expect Upshaw to have learned from?

tony hipchest
06-06-2007, 04:56 PM
well i hope S & B isnt banned. im sure even rbryan can see he isnt one of the "majority" he quoted as scumbags. silver & black has been one of the most respectful opposing teams fans we have here, who doesnt come here to bash or give his opinions of the steelers, but to generally talk nfl football with some of the best most knowldegable fans.

i actually started a thread on the 76 americas team (its midway down the 1st page in the nfl forum). i thought it was great, and enjoyed talking and hearing about the old rivalry. sure the raiders cheated like hell, but it was the only chance to get by the greatest team of all time. i guess the stick um and casts were no different than o- linemen juicing.

Jeremy
06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey! I'm the one who's suppossed to make the outrageous statements and call people names. Don't steal my thing man!

But being serious for a second, I hate John Madden. I hate him even more because every time he does a Steelers game he mentions the Immaculate Reception. I wish the 3 brain cells he has left would have a meeting and agree to let it go already.

Livinginthe past
06-06-2007, 05:28 PM
well i hope S & B isnt banned. im sure even rbryan can see he isnt one of the "majority" he quoted as scumbags. silver & black has been one of the most respectful opposing teams fans we have here, who doesnt come here to bash or give his opinions of the steelers, but to generally talk nfl football with some of the best most knowldegable fans.

i actually started a thread on the 76 americas team (its midway down the 1st page in the nfl forum). i thought it was great, and enjoyed talking and hearing about the old rivalry. sure the raiders cheated like hell, but it was the only chance to get by the greatest team of all time. i guess the stick um and casts were no different than o- linemen juicing.

I'll second that (e)motion LOL :wink02:

S&B is a genuine good guy and I PM'ed him let him know he's a welcome part of this forum (certainly from my point of view and probably alot of people's)

Its a thin line sometimes when you see a whole fanbase called out as 'scumbags' or whatever to not take it a little personally - especially if you the only guy from that teams fanbase on the forum.

I imagine he'll have a little medicine to take for the outburst but hopefully we'll get to see him round these parts in time for the new season (come on already!)

rbryan
06-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I may have been a little harsh. I could have replaced a few choice words and still made my point. And I did say majority not everyone. Watching that show set me off. In this day of PC, John Madden can admit to cheating that was intended to inflict serious injury on another person and thats OK?? Not only OK, but something to gloat about. Why is that no worse than say gambling, or making a racial slur.

If you choose to believe the Steelers were the only ones juicing in the 70's thats your perogative but there is no way to prove that. I don't think you can state that as fact anymore than I can state that the majority of the Raider Nation are SB's.

tony hipchest
06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I'll second that (e)motion LOL :wink02:

S&B is a genuine good guy and I PM'ed him let him know he's a welcome part of this forum (certainly from my point of view and probably alot of people's)

Its a thin line sometimes when you see a whole fanbase called out as 'scumbags' or whatever to not take it a little personally - especially if you the only guy from that teams fanbase on the forum.

I imagine he'll have a little medicine to take for the outburst but hopefully we'll get to see him round these parts in time for the new season (come on already!)thats a good gesture LITP :cheers: and even though youre no longer a mod it good to see you look at the well being of the board as if you were and can appreciate a good member who contributes to the "community' 5000 of us have built.

Hey! I'm the one who's suppossed to make the outrageous statements and call people names. Don't steal my thing man!
:sofunny:

i could easilly bash the raiders or browns but we have 1 raiderfan and 1 brownfan who even frequent this board and it would be nothing more than offending them for the sake of offending them. on the other hand i can bash the patriots and always know litp is up for a "friendly game of chess" :chuckle:

as for the roids, the 70's were a breeding ground for them, along with the stick-um. it just so happens one steeler said as much.

stlrtruck
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Well so far, no "Banned" is showing up by your id so that's good! :jammin:

But you are right, Al Davis, is a huge reason we have the NFL the way it is today. He, like Rooney, was a pioneer in this league (maybe that's why they were so much like each other) and if it weren't for them, who knows what the state of the AFL/NFL would be today.

Here's to seeing you around during the season. :cheers:

Jeremy
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
thats a good gesture LITP :cheers: and even though youre no longer a mod it good to see you look at the well being of the board as if you were and can appreciate a good member who contributes to the "community' 5000 of us have built.

:sofunny:

i could easilly bash the raiders or browns but we have 1 raiderfan and 1 brownfan who even frequent this board and it would be nothing more than offending them for the sake of offending them. on the other hand i can bash the patriots and always know litp is up for a "friendly game of chess" :chuckle:

as for the roids, the 70's were a breeding ground for them, along with the stick-um. it just so happens one steeler said as much.

You're a bigger man than me. I've had him on my ignore list since he was removed as a mod.

silver & black
06-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Please, feel free to bash the Raiders any time you want Tony. I'm in a Steelers forum... Its not like it isn't expected, or would come as a surprise. I have no problem with anyone bashing the Raiders or hating them... you're Steelers fans, for cripes sake!

I draw the line at sweeping generalizations about Raider fans, the Raiders or Al Davis. I know that Al Davis is not a popular owner amoung the rest of the NFL or it's fan bases, but Al Davis was a driving force in making pro football and the NFL what it is, and that is a FACT... no matter what anyone may feel about him personally.

I'm sorry I flew off the handle at rbryan. It just pissed me off that a discussion about Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA had to turn into a "bash the Raiders, Al Davis and the Raider Nation" thread.

I really don't get offended by good natured bashing. If I did, I wouldn't come here. Please, don't feel like you can't post what you want about the Raiders because I'm a member here. I just ask that it is at least factual, and not based on someones personal opinion about an organization, and a fan base that they really don't know anything about, other than what they perceive to be truth.

I apologise to all of you... and to you, rbryan. I'd like to extend the olive branch and forget about this, if you are willing. :cheers:

tony hipchest
06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Please, feel free to bash the Raiders any time you want Tony. I'm in a Steelers forum... Its not like it isn't expected, or would come as a surprise. I have no problem with anyone bashing the Raiders or hating them... you're Steelers fans, for cripes sake!

I apologise to all of you... and to you, rbryan. I'd like to extend the olive branch and forget about this, if you are willing. :cheers:
your a good dude. yeah what i meant was bashing the browns and their fans. it would be like calling all people from ohio retards :chuckle: :wink02: i wouldnt want to insult you or j-dawg on a personal level just to get a dig in on a team i dont like. bengal fans are different though :jammin:

83-Steelers-43
06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Upshaw is letting Luca Brasi loose.

http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.com/jpeg/luca.jpg

"Don Upshaw, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter... 's wedding... on the day of your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty."

Livinginthe past
06-07-2007, 04:52 PM
thats a good gesture LITP :cheers: and even though youre no longer a mod it good to see you look at the well being of the board as if you were and can appreciate a good member who contributes to the "community' 5000 of us have built.

:cheers:

Chess you say?

Ain't nuthin friendly about chess!

Its war..... and you're the 'guy' with the pink shirt and pony tail :toofunny:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/42-16028252.jpg

stlrtruck
06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
:cheers:

Chess you say?

Ain't nuthin friendly about chess!

Its war..... and you're the 'guy' with the pink shirt and pony tail :toofunny:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/42-16028252.jpg

I don't know dude that "guy" looks pissed and ready for a long match.

Livinginthe past
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
PFT has some interesting deductions made from some recent Upshaw/NFL developments - it should be understood that the actual linkage between the occurences is in no way stated as fact - its simply a theory.

Hmmm. On Wednesday, Cowboys guard Marco Rivera speaks out (scroll down) against NFLPA executive director Geno Upsharrino. On Thursday, Rivera gets cut.

Could there be a cause-and-effect thing going on here?

Consider these facts: Upsharrino is represented by Tom Condon of CAA. The Cowboys' starting quarterback and running back are represented by Ken Kremer of CAA. The Cowboys' starting quarterback has one year remaining on his contract, and negotiations on an extension are looming.

Are we suggesting that Condon or Kremer let it be known that a swift conversion of Rivera from active to inactive player would be remembered with fondness at the bargaining table? No.

We'll just call it a coincidence. A hell of a coincidence.

tony hipchest
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't know dude that "guy" looks pissed and ready for a long match.
:chuckle: the "shorthair" in baby powder blue looks a little intimidated huh?

tony hipchest
06-07-2007, 06:40 PM
nfl. network reported congress is starting to take a look at the vets cause. and of course, heres kirwans take (which i totally agree with):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10217370HELP OLDER VETS AND RESTRICT ROOKIES
Things are heating up between the retired veterans and the NFL Players' Association. This week I spoke with Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure, who is part a group of very frustrated former players who feel they are being neglected.

Well, here's an idea on how to help these older veterans and curtail the excessive money being given to rookies. I have had a number of listeners on my Sirius Radio show pound the idea that it's time to put rookies on a fixed wage scale like the National Basketball Association does and put the rest of the money toward retired veterans' medical coverages and pension benefits.

Before you think this idea is fruitless, ask why not? Last year, first-round draft picks averaged just over $10 million in guaranteed money and it could be even higher this year. I would rather see veterans get the money and rookies earn their way up the ladder. I am sure the old-timers earned their way to the top.

rbryan
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM

I draw the line at sweeping generalizations about Raider fans, the Raiders or Al Davis. I know that Al Davis is not a popular owner amoung the rest of the NFL or it's fan bases, but Al Davis was a driving force in making pro football and the NFL what it is, and that is a FACT... no matter what anyone may feel about him personally.

I'm sorry I flew off the handle at rbryan. It just pissed me off that a discussion about Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA had to turn into a "bash the Raiders, Al Davis and the Raider Nation" thread.

I really don't get offended by good natured bashing. If I did, I wouldn't come here. Please, don't feel like you can't post what you want about the Raiders because I'm a member here. I just ask that it is at least factual, and not based on someones personal opinion about an organization, and a fan base that they really don't know anything about, other than what they perceive to be truth.

I would also like to apologize, no excuse to use those words. I could have made my point without them. Certainly meant no offense to you personally but can see why you might take it that way. No hard feelings in regards to your first response.

Elvis
06-08-2007, 06:23 AM
See ya pal, you just helped to prove my point. Go watch the episode of America's Game that I referenced and tell me how proud you are of your Raider Nation.
I for one hope that silver & black will be here until the end of humanity. He is very knowledgeable abou the game and his team. Alot of these people that come in here and talk trash about the Steelers or talk like they have been Steelers fans for all their lives and they really havent been fans but since they won Super Bowl XL.
SO, Silver man... dont leave brother because of one or two bad apples in the orchard. I dont agree with what the Raiders and all the 70's teams did to cheat or do whatever it took to take a key player out of the game. Thats just wrong by anyone, now or then. Dirty players aint got no place in this era in my opinion, but we still have them and one of them is in New England or was, I dont know about now, but Ty Law was one of the dirtiest players in our new era. Bill Romanowski was dirty also in Denver. Its not just a Raider thing... I also seen some Steelers back in the day.. being dirty.. it happens everywhere all the time.. just maybe not seen all the time.

Livinginthe past
06-08-2007, 06:31 AM
I for one hope that silver & black will be here until the end of humanity.

Either you think S&B possesses omnipotent qualities or you are one of those guys who wears the sandwich board proclaiming 'The End Is Nigh'!

Seriously...until the end of humanity?

Dirty players aint got no place in this era in my opinion, but we still have them and one of them is in New England or was, I dont know about now, but Ty Law was one of the dirtiest players in our new era. Bill Romanowski was dirty also in Denver. Its not just a Raider thing... I also seen some Steelers back in the day.. being dirty.. it happens everywhere all the time.. just maybe not seen all the time.

Go on then.

Explain how Ty Law was a dirty player.

HometownGal
06-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Thank you both, s&b and rbryan for taking the high road here. :thumbsup: You are both class acts and we appreciate your graciousness in letting bygones be bygones. Way to go gentlemen! :cheers:

P.S. I still hate the Raiders. :wink02::flap:

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 07:12 AM
P.S. I still hate the Raiders.

So now we're stating the obvious
:flap:

silver & black
06-08-2007, 07:25 AM
P.S. I still hate the Raiders. :wink02::flap:

I hate that the Steelers use one of my team's colors! :flap:

HometownGal
06-08-2007, 07:30 AM

LMAO! :sofunny: Touche! :flap:

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM

You're a good guy and all but I'm gonna have to bust your bubble on this one.

The Steelers were founded in 1933...from what I can gather
The raiders were founded in 1960 which if I'm correct was a Minneapolis team that moved (go figure that one), which would have been formed in 1959 (I believe).

Therfore, it wasn't the Steelers that took the raiders colors, it was vice versa...but hey we don't mind sharing. Flattery will get you everywhere (LOL).

silver & black
06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
You're a good guy and all but I'm gonna have to bust your bubble on this one.

The Steelers were founded in 1933...from what I can gather
The raiders were founded in 1960 which if I'm correct was a Minneapolis team that moved (go figure that one), which would have been formed in 1959 (I believe).

Therfore, it wasn't the Steelers that took the raiders colors, it was vice versa...but hey we don't mind sharing. Flattery will get you everywhere (LOL).

True on all accounts. I never said that the Steeletrs took one of the Raiders colors... just that they use one of them, or vice versa, which is more true. Its just easier to dislike a team that doesn't share a color. :wink02: :sofunny:

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
True on all accounts. I never said that the Steeletrs took one of the Raiders colors... just that they use one of them, or vice versa, which is more true. Its just easier to dislike a team that doesn't share a color. :wink02: :sofunny:

I like the word took, it makes sound like Al Davis couldn't come up with his own combination so he used one of ours because he saw how great we were going to be!!!

Elvis
06-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Silver & Black
Your alright in my book, no matter what colors the Raiders wear ... I cant believe I just said that about a Raiders fan:jawdrop::wink02:
I just got through watching last night replay of the Raiders-Patriots joke playoff game a few years back. What a crock of a call at last part of that game... Tuck Rules Suck!!!!:banging:

silver & black
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I like the word took, it makes sound like Al Davis couldn't come up with his own combination so he used one of ours because he saw how great we were going to be!!!

I think it was more like he knew how much better it looked with silver. :thumbsup: :wink02:

silver & black
06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Silver & Black
Your alright in my book, no matter what colors the Raiders wear ... I cant believe I just said that about a Raiders fan:jawdrop::wink02:
I just got through watching last night replay of the Raiders-Patriots joke playoff game a few years back. What a crock of a call at last part of that game... Tuck Rules Suck!!!!:banging:

I couldn't watch it... again. My tv almost didn't make it through the night the first time.

I've seen all of that game I ever care to see. It should have been the Steelers and the Raiders in the AFC Championship Game. That call ruined one hell of a party that a bunch of friends (all Steelers fans) and I had planned. Oh well, I think we'll get to have that party in the near future. :cheers:

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I think it was more like he knew how much better it looked with silver. :thumbsup: :wink02:

Of course now he needs the silver so it reflects the sun bright enough for him to see them on the field. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
06-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I think it was more like he knew how much better it looked with silver. :thumbsup: :wink02:thats because long before he was old and senile, he was colorblind. :flap:

watching that replay of the pats/raider game just shows how much brady rode the coat tails of his team (and people say big ben did that despite his absolutely marvelous run throughout the playoffs). as much as he tried to give the game away, vinatieri (and the refs) was there to bail him out.

if the raiders woulda made it, they might have had a bit of an advantage with their wr's over our cb's. but once we knocked gannon out of the game, they didnt have bledsoe to come in and mop up for a play or 2.

silver & black
06-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Of course now he needs the silver so it reflects the sun bright enough for him to see them on the field. :thumbsup:

Umm... I got nothin. :cheers:

silver & black
06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
thats because long before he was old and senile, he was colorblind. :flap:

watching that replay of the pats/raider game just shows how much brady rode the coat tails of his team (and people say big ben did that despite his absolutely marvelous run throughout the playoffs). as much as he tried to give the game away, vinatieri (and the refs) was there to bail him out.

if the raiders woulda made it, they might have had a bit of an advantage with their wr's over our cb's. but once we knocked gannon out of the game, they didnt have bledsoe to come in and mop up for a play or 2.

It would have been an interesting game. I think we were pretty evenly matched that year. I was looking forward to one of those classic Raider - Steeler clashes. Ah, well... we'll just have to postpone it for a while.

Preacher
06-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey Silver and Black...

Next time you come out to your football homeland, let me know,

You can come up to my church, and I will baptize you a Steeler fan... You do want to get closer to God right?

:sofunny::sofunny:

Seriously,

rbryan/S&B

Thanks, It is good to see adults on this board. (:poke:<---- Tony)

(Hey Tony... give up the chess... The ponytail makes you look like a girl! Oh wait! :sofunny:)

(You know, someday Tony is going to go off on me!! LOLOLOL. Funny thing is, I will probably literally fall on the floor laughing when he does!)

tony hipchest
06-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey Silver and Black...

Next time you come out to your football homeland, let me know,

You can come up to my church, and I will baptize you a Steeler fan... You do want to get closer to God right?

:sofunny::sofunny:

Seriously,

rbryan/S&B

Thanks, It is good to see adults on this board. (:poke:<---- Tony)

(Hey Tony... give up the chess... The ponytail makes you look like a girl! Oh wait! :sofunny:)

(You know, someday Tony is going to go off on me!! LOLOLOL. Funny thing is, I will probably literally fall on the floor laughing when he does!)

:toofunny:

now preach..., have i ever wont off on anyone? (ignore the fact that i probably have).

if i ever do, it will most certainly be a bunglefan and not a :jammin: :tt02: man of God.

:chuckle: