PDA

View Full Version : God is punishing me.

Jeremy
06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
The Airman who I almost laid hands on in anger has come back to my office. I must have committed a very serious sin. Either that or God is testing me.

SteelCzar76
06-05-2007, 05:51 PM
The Airman who I almost laid hands on in anger has come back to my office. I must have committed a very serious sin. Either that or God is testing me.

He doesn't 'test' or punish you J,....he's omnipotent. It's training. LOL :cheers:

HometownGal
06-05-2007, 06:03 PM

Either that or you're about to get your hiney kicked. :wink02:

Czar is right - God doesn't test. He's all-forgiving.

Buzz05
06-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I've always been a fan of the saying, 'If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it'

As far as the testing goes, I kinda believe that he tests us know and then but I am a big advocate that he is all forgiving.

stlrtruck
06-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I'd have to disagree with you guys. God does allow us to be tested. When we proclaim our faith in him, he will test us. The bible even tells us (Preacher you may have to help on this one) that we will be tested in the fire that the impurities will removed from you.

One example of being tested. Job. In the Old Testament, Job was a man of God. Satan then talked to God and said that Job wouldn't have his faith if he took everything away. God allowed Satan to take away his house, family, livestock. Eventually God allowed Satan to take Job's health - but Job remained faithful. By the end of it all God had doubled everything that Job originally had. He ended with a bigger house, more livestock, a new family.

It just shows that if you are faithful to God, then God will be faithful to you. Just be strong and when you want to "Lay your hands" on the recruit, just pray - and let God take care of him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-06-2007, 08:13 AM
God does test...and he allows you to be tempted...however..never beyond your personal ability to overcome the temptation....
1 Corinthians 10:13 says:
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
....Simply put...your temptations and mine will never be the same, because God knows my weaknessess and my strengths personally.
What this does is make me even MORE responsible when I fail, because I can always go back to this verse and understand that I COULD HAVE overcome...BUT it gives me hope and power in the understanding that while in the middle of any circumstance in my life..I just need to "keep on pushing"...because the situation is NOT beyond my power (through God) to overcome.

Buzz05
06-06-2007, 08:16 AM
I'd have to disagree with you guys. God does allow us to be tested. When we proclaim our faith in him, he will test us. The bible even tells us (Preacher you may have to help on this one) that we will be tested in the fire that the impurities will removed from you.

One example of being tested. Job. In the Old Testament, Job was a man of God. Satan then talked to God and said that Job wouldn't have his faith if he took everything away. God allowed Satan to take away his house, family, livestock. Eventually God allowed Satan to take Job's health - but Job remained faithful. By the end of it all God had doubled everything that Job originally had. He ended with a bigger house, more livestock, a new family.

It just shows that if you are faithful to God, then God will be faithful to you. Just be strong and when you want to "Lay your hands" on the recruit, just pray - and let God take care of him.

Dont forget when God tested Abraham's faith. He was going to sacrifice his son Isaac (His only son) in Gods name. But God stopped him just before. I think this is the instance where God told Abraham that his decendents will be as numerous as the stars in the sky.

stlrtruck
06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Dont forget when God tested Abraham's faith. He was going to sacrifice his son Isaac (His only son) in Gods name. But God stopped him just before. I think this is the instance where God told Abraham that his decendents will be as numerous as the stars in the sky.

Yes, can't forget that one either.

Stainless Steel
06-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes, God does test us. It is a refining process so we will be more like Him. We will grow either bitter or better through it, depending on how we react to the test. God will help us, if we turn to Him in our troubles.

Buzz05
06-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, God does test us. It is a refining process so we will be more like Him. We will grow either bitter or better through it, depending on how we react to the test. God will help us, if we turn to Him in our troubles.

To be honest with ya..its a little hard not to be bitter sometimes. When you take a step back and look at all the trials and tribulations you go through and look at those of say Paris Hilton who it seems has no struggles its a little hard not to be bitter. But I see what you are saying.

vasteeler
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
god plays no role here on earth we make our on choices alone

stlrtruck
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
If God doesn't play a role here on Earth, then could you please explain to me how people get miracously healed? Explain how glorious things happen on Earth that people can not explain?

Not trying to start a war on this but just curious how you explain those things.

SteelCzar76
06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
God does test...and he allows you to be tempted...however..never beyond your personal ability to overcome the temptation....
1 Corinthians 10:13 says:
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
....Simply put...your temptations and mine will never be the same, because God knows my weaknessess and my strengths personally.
What this does is make me even MORE responsible when I fail, because I can always go back to this verse and understand that I COULD HAVE overcome...BUT it gives me hope and power in the understanding that while in the middle of any circumstance in my life..I just need to "keep on pushing"...because the situation is NOT beyond my power (through God) to overcome.

I don't think that he 'tests' us in a sense as though the outcome is in question LLT. What i mean is,...being as that 'God' is the creator of all things,....time and or space in a sense of continuim would mean nothing to 'him'.

Simply,...he knew of every move and or decision you would make before he actually created you. And therefore what could be considered as 'tests' in life by us,...are but mere 'guidance' in the direction that 'must be'. Based upon your particular 'script' if you will.

HeyNav
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
What famous govenor once said?

"Religion is only a crutch for the weak minded".

HINT: Also said "If reincarnated would like to come back as a D-cup sized bra"

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 07:18 AM

I'm gonna go with Jesse Ventura?

What great man once said, "No one gets to the father except through me."

SteelCzar76
06-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Probably same one LHIFAO at those whom truly believed such bull ish when he said it. LOL
Yes,..... laughing at the 'psuedo scientists' or any that believe that this 'life', or plain of existence has no 'design' at all and is just merely "random coincidence".

"Knock it off"

tony hipchest
06-08-2007, 08:12 PM

im gonna say G. dub. the ex-gov of TX.

Preacher
06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Hmmm...

Jeremy.... tell me if I am wrong... but I read your original post not as a plea for an actual answer, but as a tongue-in-cheek comment to the likes of, "I REALLY can't stand this guy!"

vasteeler
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
If God doesn't play a role here on Earth, then could you please explain to me how people get miracously healed? Explain how glorious things happen on Earth that people can not explain?

Not trying to start a war on this but just curious how you explain those things.

i dont take it as starting a war at all:cheers:
give me examples

polamalufan43
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
He doesn't 'test' or punish you J,....he's omnipotent. It's training. LOL :cheers:

lol,
although sometimes it seems quite the opposite...

~PF43:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM

That would be Jesse Ventura...but keep in mind that a person who would say..."If you were to come to Minnesota, I could have you locked up like that. That's power"....may not be humble enough to entertain the concept of a God that has "power" over him.
I think we can safely say that Jesse Ventura isnt exactly the measuring stick anyone would want to compare themselves by in this type of debate......He is an idiot who only got 36% of the votes.....Ventura would NEVER have become governor had the two main runners not been weak..... The media found him so entertaining...... that they kidded with him through the whole campaign. He never got a tough question or gave a tough answer. .... He went for the Reform Party because they had money and he needed it. He was a sideshow that entertained the nation for awhile...nothing more.

stlrtruck
06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
i dont take it as starting a war at all:cheers:
give me examples

Had a lady in our church that ended up in the ER with bad stomach cramps. X-Rays showed that her intestines were in a knot. The hospital staff was preparing her for an emergency surgery when just before they were about to take her in they took another X-Ray and found that it was no longer in a knot and she was fine.

My brother-in-law broke a bone (I can't remember which one) in his hand so bad that they were going to re-break it to set it and put a cast on. Before the doctor even saw him, the hand was fine.

vasteeler
06-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Had a lady in our church that ended up in the ER with bad stomach cramps. X-Rays showed that her intestines were in a knot. The hospital staff was preparing her for an emergency surgery when just before they were about to take her in they took another X-Ray and found that it was no longer in a knot and she was fine.

My brother-in-law broke a bone (I can't remember which one) in his hand so bad that they were going to re-break it to set it and put a cast on. Before the doctor even saw him, the hand was fine.

coinsedence(sp) im not trying to belittle your faith just so happens the day of the post my aunt was killed by a drunk driver who was 18 years old and his second offence her husband is a preacher so i hope you can see why my faith was shaken i only hope his wasnt

stlrtruck
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
coinsedence(sp) im not trying to belittle your faith just so happens the day of the post my aunt was killed by a drunk driver who was 18 years old and his second offence her husband is a preacher so i hope you can see why my faith was shaken i only hope his wasnt

I can completely understand why your faith was shakened. At times, I do question my own. But it's in the times of earthly discomfort that our faith becomes stronger. My wife's brother-in-law passed away unexpectedly about a month ago, from an enlarged heart. Something that couldn't have been noticed on an X-ray and doctors would have done an MRI to find it, if he was having problems but he wasn't. His wife and daughters since have questioned, "WHY?" And that's ok - God doesn't care about the question (not saying he doesn't care about the subject matter) as much as he cares about the relationship.

People can say many things about one's death, especially one that was a Christian. She's in a better place, etc. However, that doesn't ease the suffering of those here on earth. Just curious to know if you've talked to your uncle since her death? Is he questioning his faith? Have you asked him how he's dealing with it? You may find renewed strength in your uncle's faith.

I don't feel you are belittling my faith. I've gone through the fire of refinement more than once and I can only thank God that it hasn't been something that you've experienced. Don't know if it will make you feel different but I'll pray for Peace and Comfort for you and your family.

HeyNav
06-19-2007, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=lamberts-lost-tooth;255634]
"I think we can safely say that Jesse Ventura isnt exactly the measuring stick anyone would want to compare themselves by in this type of debate...."

Who is that idiot using Jesse Ventura as a measuring stick anyway?
Lighten up!

We don't have to be serious about everything, do we?
Enjoy people, life. Prost!:cheers:

HeyNav
06-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna go with Jesse Ventura?

What great man once said, "No one gets to the father except through me."

I don't know but sounds good.

Like "It's easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than.....:dang:something, something, something.:dang:

GBMelBlount
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know but sounds good.

Like "It's easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than.....:dang:something, something, something.:dang:

Oh, thought that was "Sting" that said that. Anyway. I have always been a very "concrete operational" person...where is God & where is Jesus... I can't see them? I have had tremendous "cognitive dissonance" throughout my life as I went to church, learned theories & tried to believe what I could not actually see. As a very analytical person, I finally rationalized God through analyzing the evolution theory. I thoroughly thought this through & realized if we evolved from apes, what happened to everything in between? Why are apes & humans here, but everything in between is....gone? It is completely irrational if not impossible IMHO.

Bless, GB

tony hipchest
06-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I thoroughly thought this through & realized if we evolved from apes, what happened to everything in between? Why are apes & humans here, but everything in between is....gone? It is completely irrational if not impossible IMHO.

Bless, GB"we evolved from apes" is a generic phrase. apes and humans just shared a common ancestor. the difference between an ape and our common ancestor is just as profound as the difference in us and the said ancestor.

in spite of that we still share 99% of the same genetic make up as a chimpanzee.

GBMelBlount
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
"we evolved from apes" is a generic phrase. apes and humans just shared a common ancestor. the difference between an ape and our common ancestor is just as profound as the difference in us and the said ancestor.

in spite of that we still share 99% of the same genetic make up as a chimpanzee.

Imagine if Brady could mate mate with chimps.......Oh, I guess that's how we got the Pat's! :tt02:

stlrtruck
06-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Ohwhere is God & where is Jesus... I can't see them? I have had tremendous "cognitive dissonance" throughout my life as I went to church, learned theories & tried to believe what I could not actually see.

My father-in-law had a great come back for people that had this type of mentality. And it was really simple...

Do you believe that air exists? You can't see it?

MACH1
06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
My father-in-law had a great come back for people that had this type of mentality. And it was really simple...

Do you believe that air exists? You can't see it?

It depends on where you live...:smile:

Preacher
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM
"we evolved from apes" is a generic phrase. apes and humans just shared a common ancestor. the difference between an ape and our common ancestor is just as profound as the difference in us and the said ancestor.

A cloud and watermelon are 98% the same chemically.... When was the last time a cloud evolved into a watermelon?

The fact is, that 1 percent is the biggest difference of them all.

Think about it. Your going to build a bunch of things... would you look for different materials for each thing you build? or would you use the same materials for the same type of structures?

Similarity means nothing... except that they are similar. It doesn't point to common ancestory, just common makeup.

stlrtruck
06-21-2007, 07:17 AM
It depends on where you live...:smile:

Now I'm curious, where have you seen air? Or heard about air being seen, because I'd love to check that out.

MACH1
06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Any city wheres there's smog, you can see what your breathing.

stlrtruck
06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Any city wheres there's smog, you can see what your breathing.

But isn't smog something in the air and not the air itself?

tony hipchest
06-21-2007, 04:41 PM
A cloud and watermelon are 98% the same chemically.... When was the last time a cloud evolved into a watermelon?

The fact is, that 1 percent is the biggest difference of them all.

Think about it. Your going to build a bunch of things... would you look for different materials for each thing you build? or would you use the same materials for the same type of structures?

Similarity means nothing... except that they are similar. It doesn't point to common ancestory, just common makeup.clouds and watermellon are mostly water. humans are made up of 70% water. life cannot exist without water and all organic matter has carbon. water existed before humans, as did the earth. plants existed before humans. all these facts arent disputed by science or the bible. ultimately you can say a watermellon and man share the same ancestor- that single cell organism that evolved/was created in the sea before humans saw light.

we are taught Adam was made from dust. what is dust? common household dust is dead skin cells. is it possible God made Adam from a bunch of dead human skin cells before humans ever existed? doubtful. did God shed his own dead skin cells and make us from them? unlikely, because God did not exist in physical form until about 2000 years ago.
did God literally stand on the ground, leaving footprints on the earth, as he took a straw broom and a dustpan and swept up the dirt to make Adam? he wouldnt need to.

so what is dust to Moses who wrote the 1st 5 books of the bible thousands of years ago?
dust, at the time, was the 1st recognition of atoms and elements. dust was the smallest particles known to man before microscopes existed. even a caveman could take a dirt clod and grind it up into a powder so fine the individual particles couldnt be seen themselves.

there are only 92 naturally occuring elements of the periodic table that are the building blocks of everything known in the universe. God gave the authors of the bible the knowledge that man was created from the elements of the earth long before modern science was even close to figuring that out.

"ashes to ashes, dust to dust". when i look for the eteranal answers to life i dont see much contradiction between the bible and the scientists. each party seems to only have half the story. put them together and everything so much clearer and the meaning seems so much more important and special. science tries to explain the "how" and all of the Godlike mechanisms and "forces of nature" (= another phrase for God). religion explains the same very quickly but gives the answers to the "why".

i would rather understand the "how" + the "why" rather than just one or the other. this all works for me, because it makes the most sense to me. i know its unconventional, but sometimes the harder you seek for answers on your own, the more you understand.

all of science cant be discredited just because its science, and all of religion cant be discredited just because it is religion and an ancient book. (although the wisest book ever written). some would say my convictions water down religion, but then again some would say they water down "concrete" science. the spirit of God in my heart (that 1% you mention that sets us apart) tells me not to worry about what some may say.

right or wrong, i know God appreciates my quest for understanding. right or wrong, i guess it could be simplified by the story of peter and pauls debate whether one can or cannot eat pork.

and contrary to what LITP may believe- "Pork, the other white meat"