PDA

View Full Version : From Cinci: this week the winner is.......Odell Thurman!!!

stillers4me
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CIN/10214151

Bengals LB Thurman accused of assault :popcorn:

NFL.com wire reports

CINCINNATI (June 5, 2007) -- Suspended Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has been accused of kicking and hitting two men in his Georgia hometown during the weekend. He has not been charged with a crime, but a magistrate will hear testimony June 8 to determine if charges should be filed.

The NFL suspended Thurman for the first four games of 2006 after he skipped a drug test. The suspension was extended to a full season following his arrest on a drunken driving charge in September. Thurman is one of nine Cincinnati players to be arrested in the past year.

Two men filed a complaint June 3 with police in Monticello, Ga., southeast of Atlanta, accusing Thurman of assaulting them early June 3 following an argument at a home, Jasper County Chief Magistrate Ken Jackson said. The men accused Thurman's brother, Willie Thurman, of threatening them with a gun.

"Evidently, this was some type of party in the wee hours of the morning," Jackson said.

Because the allegations were not reported quickly and police were unable to conduct an immediate investigation, Jackson said, a county magistrate will hear testimony to determine if anyone should be charged.

Messages seeking comment were left with Odell Thurman's agent and with the NFL.

Thurman pleaded no contest to the drunken driving charge in February. Last Friday, a judge in Cincinnati suspended all but six days of a 90-day sentence and ordered Thurman to serve those six days at a treatment center.

Thurman played two seasons at Georgia and was drafted by Cincinnati in the second round of the 2005 draft. He led the Bengals in tackles that season with 148.

Thurman can apply for reinstatement for this coming season, although earlier this year coach Marvin Lewis refused to talk about whether Thurman still figured in the team's plans.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team had no comment on the latest allegations.

"His situation is controlled by the league, he's not officially on our roster," Brennan said. "Since his possible reinstatement is in the league's hands, we would defer any comment to the league."

fansince'76
06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team had no comment on the latest allegations.

"His situation is controlled by the league, he's not officially on our roster," Brennan said. "Since his possible reinstatement is in the league's hands, we would defer any comment to the league."

IOW, they've run out of excuses. :chuckle:

Edman
06-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I can't stand it. Please make it stop. It's like a train wreck that gets worse and worse. It's incredible. The team has enough distractions as it is.

The Duke
06-05-2007, 05:55 PM
:dang:

touchdownward
06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
The Thurmanator strikes again!!!
It starts with the little things like getting kicked off your college team for selling your SEC Championship ring. :wink02:

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 06:22 PM
in other news carson shows what a team "leader" he is:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/wires/06/02/2020.ap.fbn.bengals.palmer.0706/index.html

Palmer and other veterans have urged Lewis to crack down on players who refuse to act responsibly. Palmer reiterated during minicamp that the Bengals have enough talent to be a title contender, if they can get their act together.

"We can be one of the better teams in this league, and we should be one of the better teams in this league,'' he said. "We just need to go out there and play like it.''

Although it's important for the team's leaders to speak out, Palmer knows that it's ultimately up to the troubled players to change their lives and the team's image.

"I mean, there's only so much you can say,'' Palmer said. "Nobody needs to hear, 'Hey, don't do anything illegal.'

"Some guys made some bad decisions and decisions they wish they could have back, but there's nothing you can really say (to them). You can state the obvious, but that doesn't really do anything.''

uhmmm... it does show leadership.

way to go carson, you puss. he must be afraid of getting his ass kicked.

MACH1
06-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I wonder who or what marv's going to blame this one on.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah Baby Woo Hoo - I knew they wouldn't let us down the bungles surely make for an exciting off season!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

stillers4me
06-05-2007, 07:33 PM
And it's only Tuesday...........:wink02:

fansince'76
06-05-2007, 07:37 PM
in other news carson shows what a team "leader" he is:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/wires/06/02/2020.ap.fbn.bengals.palmer.0706/index.html

uhmmm... it does show leadership.

way to go carson, you puss. he must be afraid of getting his ass kicked.

Mmmm....yep, yep. :chuckle: But that's the number 3 QB in the league after Brady and Manning. :rolleyes: And yet the worst people can say about Ben is that he took a couple of verbal potshots at the old regime. Amazing how good we have it. I'd rather have that than a spineless wuss as my franchise QB. He still doesn't get it. :dang:

83-Steelers-43
06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
IMO, it starts with upper management and down to the coaching staff. Whether people want to believe it or not, you can only say so much to a person. If they "get it" and take your advice, then it's a success.

I'm sure Carson Palmer has talked to these guys before, but he's not a babysitter nor an AA buddy. He can't hold their hands for them before they cross the road. I'm not exactly sure what else the guy can do. Palmer was one of the few (I believe the only one) to publicly come out and state that this type of B.S. has to stop. It's time for upper management to make some tough decisions and take control of this situation.

If that organization is expecting one man (Palmer) to magically cure that thug riddened team, good luck. It's going to take more than Carson Palmer.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
What Palmer said is true thoug,there is only so much you can say to someone.It's not up to Palmer to change these guys,it's up to the individuals.

SteelCityMan786
06-05-2007, 09:22 PM
How many arrests is this? I LOST COUNT!!!! :sofunny:

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm sure Carson Palmer has talked to these guys before, but he's not a babysitter nor an AA buddy. He can't hold their hands for them before they cross the road. I'm not exactly sure what else the guy can do. they are his teammates. he can start by either shutting up, or not presenting such a "holier than thou, im done trying" attitude. what he is saying comes across like eli manning and his teammates throwing their hands in the air anytime something goes wrong.

as bad as plexico may have been, big ben had his back till the end. as strained as ben may have been with cowher or whiz, he was the 1st one to lobby for their return. as immature as ben mightve been for riding w/o a helmet, he never threw his teammates under the bus and said "i give up".

i see tons of talent out of carson, but i dont see the leadership. thats more of an indictment of the bengals organization than it is of him though. they havent exactly taught him how to lead, or even provided him anyone worth leading.

and really, going by carsons comments im not so sure he has seriously talked to any of these guys about their off the field behavior other than bitching and moaning, and crying "now i cant win a championship". his words tell me he doesnt think he needs to tell them anything in the 1st place, anyways.

Livinginthe past
06-06-2007, 04:12 AM
PFW had a nice take on the latest Bengals strategy for dealing with its law breaking players.

We've seen some creative strategies over the past few months from teams who want to disown players who have gotten in trouble with the law. The Saints tried to pretend that they'd cut practice-squad linebacker E.J. Kuale long before he was busted on weapons and drug charges. The Steelers cut linebacker Richard Seigler after they found out that a warrant had been issued for his arrest on charges that he's a pimp, but before the warrant was actually served.

The Bengals are now attempting to try out a new approach, in light of the accusations directed at linebacker Odell Thurman. Faced with the possibility that a warrant for his arrest will be issued following a Friday hearing regarding an alleged assault, the Bengals are already taking the position that Thurman isn't really on the team.

"His situation is controlled by the league, he's not officially on our roster," team spokesman Jack Brennan told the AP. "Since his possible reinstatement is in the league's hands, we would defer any comment to the league."

Oh, but he is. He's not on the active roster. But the Bengals still hold his rights as a member of the team's reserve/suspended list. If/when he's reinstated following a minimum banishment of one year for violation of the substance-abuse policy, he'll be back on the team.

I think the criticism of Carson Palmer, for the most part, is unwarranted - I regard Brady to be an excellent team leader - but without meaningful backing from the HC I don't see what he would have done differently in this situation.

Edman
06-06-2007, 05:35 AM
As much as I can't stand Carson Palmer, he's right. You can only say so much. He's not a babysitter to the other players. It's up to the individuals to clean themselves up. That all starts with accountablity and punishment, which is what the Bengals organization failed to do with these guys. The magificent front office as well as Mushmouth Marlew have done nothing but poor attempts at damage control and make excuses for these players.

It also doesn't help that the Bungle fans are as dumb as they are and continue to defend this garbage(See Chris Henry).

stillers4me
06-06-2007, 06:01 AM
It also doesn't help that the Bungle fans are as dumb as they are and continue to defend this garbage(See Chris Henry).

Just scope out any Bungles forum and read all about the "Odell's being set up" theories...... :sofunny:

It's more entertaining than a comic book.

Cape Cod Steel Head
06-06-2007, 07:10 AM
I wonder who or what marv's going to blame this one on.Obviously the cops in Monticello Ga.

fansince'76
06-06-2007, 07:13 AM
and really, going by carsons comments im not so sure he has seriously talked to any of these guys about their off the field behavior other than bitching and moaning, and crying "now i cant win a championship". his words tell me he doesnt think he needs to tell them anything in the 1st place, anyways.

Although I can see where 83's coming from as well, this was also how I interpreted what he said, Tony - that he really didn't try to talk to them at all.

stlrtruck
06-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Nothing like a hearty laugh first thing in the morning.

83-Steelers-43
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
What Palmer said is true thoug,there is only so much you can say to someone.It's not up to Palmer to change these guys,it's up to the individuals.

Every time the poor guy turns around another one of his teammates is getting arrested. Literally.

From what I'm seeing, the likes of Chris Henry and Odell Thurman wouldn't listen to their own mothers, why would they listen to Carson Palmer? That's why I feel a situation on this scale needs to be handled by ownership or the coaching staff. Obviously the one who should be taking control of this situation is too busy making excuses for his players. Imagine being the QB of a team where the HC doesn't even give a damn about your teammates getting arrested and goes as far as making excuses for those individuals? Talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I understand we live in a world where personal responsibility doesn't exist (just ask Marvin), but the guys getting arrested have to want to change. Apparently they are fine with getting arrested on a regular basis. Since it's obvious that they do not want to change it's time for the people who are actually in charge of the team and the one's who can actually make a difference need to make some tough decisions/changes. Maybe starting with the guy who is considered the true leader of any football team in the NFL, the HC.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-06-2007, 08:30 AM
2 Jan 2007
Head coach Marvin Lewis said, "Thurman not expected to return to team"

15 May 2007
Head coach Marvin Lewis. Thurman said "Thurman still in team's plans"

SO...in light of the new allegation...what side of his mouth will Lewis be talking.

83-Steelers-43
06-06-2007, 08:40 AM
2 Jan 2007

15 May 2007

SO...in light of the new allegation...what side of his mouth will Lewis be talking.

I'm guessing he won't play the race card this time around after his Dan Patrick interview. He already used that one. Then again, as pointed out by another poster it's very effective in this day and age so why not go with what works? So....

6 June 2007
Head coach Marvin Lewis said, "This is just another example of the police in this city unfairly arresting 'certain' people. Odell Thurman will continue to be a Cincinnati Bengal"

Then in the backround all you hear is Carson Palmer scream "Oh for Pete's sake man!, will ownership or the NFL please step up and take a stand? Help me out here, please!"

Elvis
06-06-2007, 12:38 PM
:tt02::tt02::flap::jawdrop:

Edman
06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
2 Jan 2007

15 May 2007

Neither, this time Marlew will be talking out of his ***, or just say nothing at all. He's been doing it for so long. Never have I heard him say one word remotely resembling accountablity and respect. He's usually just stays silent, but when he talks, raw sewage flies out of his mouth. It's really hard to believe this clown is from Pittsburgh.

83-Steelers-43
06-08-2007, 11:11 PM
:yawn:

Assault complaint against Bengals' Thurman dropped

By The Associated Press
Saturday, June 9, 2007

MONTICELLO, Ga. ? Two Georgia men dropped their complaint against suspended Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman after accusing the player of kicking and hitting them at a party.

Papers seeking to dismiss the case were being filed by the men, Chrissy Pitts, deputy clerk of Magistrate Court in Jasper County, said Friday. Pitts did not know what prompted their decision.

"It was settled," Pitts said. "We aren't aware of any terms that were involved in the settlement. That was between the attorneys and the parties."

A hearing on the accusations against Thurman had been set for Friday, but was canceled because of the dismissal. Thurman had not been charged with a crime, but a magistrate had been expected to hear testimony to determine if charges should be filed.

Two men filed a complaint Sunday with police in Monticello, 60 miles from Atlanta, accusing Thurman of assaulting them early Sunday following an argument at a home. The men accused Thurman's brother, Willie Thurman, of threatening them with a gun.

The NFL suspended Thurman for the first four games of 2006 after he skipped a drug test. The suspension was extended to a full season following his arrest on a drunken-driving charge in September. Thurman is one of nine Cincinnati players arrested in the past year.

Thurman can apply for reinstatement for this season, although earlier this year Bengals coach Marvin Lewis refused to talk about whether Thurman figured in the team's plans.

Thurman played two seasons at Georgia and was selected by Cincinnati in the second round of the 2005 draft. He led the Bengals in tackles that season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_511839.html

tony hipchest
06-08-2007, 11:32 PM
"It was settled," Pitts said. "We aren't aware of any terms that were involved in the settlement. That was between the attorneys several loaded weapons, a suitcase full of cash and the parties."

:yikes: shocking.

i wonder if that hypothetical "suitcase full of $$$" is an advance "workout bonus" on behalf of mike brown and the recommendation of mushmouth lewis.

stillers4me
06-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Reeks like Bengal piss to me..........

How long until the next "episode" that Marv and Co. have to fix???

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
IMO, it starts with upper management and down to the coaching staff. Whether people want to believe it or not, you can only say so much to a person. If they "get it" and take your advice, then it's a success.

I'm sure Carson Palmer has talked to these guys before, but he's not a babysitter nor an AA buddy. He can't hold their hands for them before they cross the road. I'm not exactly sure what else the guy can do. Palmer was one of the few (I believe the only one) to publicly come out and state that this type of B.S. has to stop. It's time for upper management to make some tough decisions and take control of this situation.

If that organization is expecting one man (Palmer) to magically cure that thug riddened team, good luck. It's going to take more than Carson Palmer.

Definantly.

If they want to change the image, get some more classy players. Carson probably is the only player who truely shows a lot of class on that whole team.