PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trade for Bettis, just in case?

Elvis
06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
As Written By USA TODAY by Gordon Forbes and Jarrett Bell
Somtime in 1996: Just in case you didnt know..
Steelers Trade For Bettis, Just In Case
New York--Pittsburgh facing the uncertainty of Bam Morris' legal problems, gambled saturday by trading with the St.Louis Rams for RB Jerome Bettis.
Bettis, a 2 time pro-bowler who rushed for 3,091 yards his first three NFL seasons, calls it a fresh start.
"I think its a great situation for me." he says. "I know the Steelers have a pounding offense that likes to run the football." Morris, the leading rusher in the super bowl, pleaded innocent last week to 2 felony drug possession charges in TX and faces a July 15 trial.
I was just looking back in a photo album that I keep old Steelers stuff in, and saw this article from USA TODAY and thought it brought back some great memories for alot of people like myself. Hope you enjoyed as much as I did.
Did The Steelers Make A Good Deal Or What?

Dynasty
06-06-2007, 02:53 PM
a damned good deal.. one of the better trades ever.

The Duke
06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Bam Morris, didn't even remember him.

Stlrs4Life
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Remember it well, what a trade!

LambertIsGod58
06-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah and he was labeled a problem in the locker room!!! WTF, St. Louis screwed up.

Dynasty
06-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I bet the Rams are still regretting that trade. Just like the Vikings and Hersh Walker

Elvis
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Bam Morris was the Best RB in Super Bowl XXX. How long have you been watching and covering the Steelers Duke? Just wondering if you are that young or are you just starting to pull for the Steelers recently? Either way, just to let ya know, I'm pretty sure that Bam had 78 yards in that game and Emmit didnt have near the game that everyone thought that he would have. And Rod Woodson also returned in that game after having knee surgeory during the preseason I think. But without O'Donnell's strange buy off from the Jets and him giving those 2 strange INT's away like the way he did. What is really funny is that DB Larry Brown was the MVP after the game and probably never had more than 2 ints the rest of his career after signing that big contract with the Raiders...

Galax Steeler
06-07-2007, 03:36 AM
They never thought he would be a pounding running back like that.

HometownGal
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM

I think Bam Morris is remember more for his off the field issues than his on the field performance, though he had a lot of potential. He couldn't put down the bong and loved doing "laundry". :dang:

MACH1
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I think Bam Morris is remember more for his off the field issues than his on the field performance, though he had a lot of potential. He couldn't put down the bong and loved doing "laundry". :dang:

Yeah....about 10 lbs at a time. :dang:

The Duke
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Bam Morris was the Best RB in Super Bowl XXX. How long have you been watching and covering the Steelers Duke? Just wondering if you are that young or are you just starting to pull for the Steelers recently? Either way, just to let ya know, I'm pretty sure that Bam had 78 yards in that game and Emmit didnt have near the game that everyone thought that he would have. And Rod Woodson also returned in that game after having knee surgeory during the preseason I think. But without O'Donnell's strange buy off from the Jets and him giving those 2 strange INT's away like the way he did. What is really funny is that DB Larry Brown was the MVP after the game and probably never had more than 2 ints the rest of his career after signing that big contract with the Raiders...

Just making a joke about how he was forgotten :cheers:

revefsreleets
06-07-2007, 09:15 PM
This is a great example of how the fans are always way behind the front office, but the media is even farther behind.

I think Barlow is a great pick-up. We have Parker, Haynes, Davenport and Barlow at RB this year. That's a deep backfield. This is going to be an effective running backfield.

Will it be Bettis and Parker again? Franco and Rocky again? I doubt it, but it should be a solid backfield.

flanman
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Possible the best trade in Steeler history. Either him or Staley :)

Preacher
06-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Funny thing is, if Bam Morris had played for another team, in another city, say if the Browns had moved to Baltimore then, Bam probably would have been found innocent, and allowed to stay on the team.

Thank goodness for F.O. Integrity

SuperBowlChamps
06-09-2007, 06:54 PM
This was one of the best trades made in Steelers Franchise History.

Elvis
06-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Just making a joke about how he was forgotten :cheers:
10-4..... I understand ...:thumbsup:

LambertIsGod58
06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Possible the best trade in Steeler history. Either him or Staley :)

Excuse me, but what has Staley done for us since arriving? He makes a great model for Steeler gear!!! LOL!!!

Godfather
06-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I bet the Rams are still regretting that trade.

Especially since they traded the Bus to make room for Lawrence Phillips, who has more arrests than touchdowns.

Northside Jonny
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
And the rams thought he was washed up ! Can't wait to see another steeler join the hall of fame in 5 years! We will always remember the BUS in the STEEL CITY

TX Steel
06-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I went to the same university as Bam, and I was so thrilled to have him succeed with the Steelers. Then I was crushed when he threw his career away.

Needless to say, I got over it. Love ya, Bus!

Steel Pit
06-12-2007, 03:34 AM

I was a huge Bam Morris fan. I liked his running style and he seemed to be a great team player. That crazy endzone dance that he had was pretyy comical. I can't defend him on his off the field activites. I just wish that he would have stayed clean.

In reference to your Neil O'Donnell comments. I too believe that O'Donnell purposely threw those interceptions in Super Bowl XXX. I don't however believe that it had anything to do with a payoff. I think that he threw the interceptions because the Bill Cowher/Ron Earhardt relationship had deteriorated.

If you'll remember, Cowher was acting quite rude towards Earhardt during the Super Bowl with the ultimate slap in the face coming when Cowher started asking Chan Gailey, the WR's coach, for advice on offensive play calls. O'Donnell was a big Earhardt supporter being that both of them where Jersey boys, so I feel that O'Donnell took Cowher's treatment of Earhardt personal and retaliated by throwing the picks.

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Bam was a beast. He had the potential to put up some huge numbers.

It's just too bad he couldn't kick the dope habit. :dang:

memphissteelergirl
06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Bam was a beast. He had the potential to put up some huge numbers.

It's just too bad he couldn't kick the dope habit. :dang:

Hear, here!

Elvis
06-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Steel pit.. if those comments were true about O'Donnel throwing those pics on purpose, then someone should hunt him down and take all his ..well...money he owes back to us loyal Steelers Fans...
:tt02:

pEktaS
06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
the only thing i remember about bam morris was that he was a druggie i dont remember any of his playing

and bettis is the man