PDA

View Full Version : Joey will start on sunday...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/12594957.htm

elers' Porter to start despite sitting out preseason

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter will start the Pittsburgh Steelers' opener Sunday against Tennessee despite sitting out the four preseason games and most of training camp following knee surgery.

Because Porter missed so much of camp, coach Bill Cowher plans to give Porter some series off so backup James Harrison can play. Porter resumed practicing Monday for the first time since the opening days of camp.

"He's been looking pretty good the last couple of days," Cowher said. "He's not ready to play a whole game and James will certainly spell him at times."

Running back Duce Staley, who also had knee surgery during the first week of camp, was downgraded from questionable to doubtful. Staley hasn't taken part in a full practice since the first day of camp.

Jerome Bettis (calf) was ruled out earlier in the week, which means the Steelers are all but certain to be without their top two running backs. Willie Porter, a former college backup at North Carolina, will make his first career start.

Harrison (hamstring) and cornerback Willie Williams (groin) were added to the injury list. Both are listed as probable.

SteelR1
09-08-2005, 11:34 PM
It's nice to see Porter back!!!!!!!!!

Get em!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2005, 11:45 PM
James Harrison is listed as probable, and cowher said that even though porter will start, Harrison will see alot of playing time too since Joey isnt ready for a full 60 minutes yet.

I just hope he isnt rushing to come back to early.

SteelersWyo
09-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Playing them this soon will be a huge mistake. 16 games to the playoffs, easy Bill, easy. If injuries start putting holes in our starting line up we will never get things rolling.

Black-n-Gold
09-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Cowher is pretty good with determining if some one is ready to come back or if they need more time to rest. If he puts him in he'll probably only play part of the game, i'm just glad to see him back.

Prosdo
09-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Glad to hear Joey will play some. Hopefully he is ready to go.

Koopa
09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
just like black-n-gold said "Cowher is pretty good with determining if some one is ready to come back or if they need more time to rest" that's the reason i'm not worried about joey porter coming back this soon. i'm glad he's back and i can't wait for sunday.

clevestinks
09-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Joey is our inspirational leader. This is great news.