PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield: Open Mouth, Insert Foot.

83-Steelers-43
06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm sure it will be pushed under the carpet 'considering'. Once again, cute how that works. He should thank his lucky stars that he's not Imus. Which reminds me.......where's Al and Jesse?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

This should sit well with Magglio Ordonez, Placido Polanco, Ivan Rodriguez, Carlos Guillen and Omar Infante. Y'know, his teammates...

Edman
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
That's quite a big byte Mr. Sheffield said.

Notice how Mr. Jackson and Al Sharpton are magically nowhere to be seen or heard from. They're like hypocritical ****roaches.

If this were a white player who said this, they'd be all over him in an instant. What a joke our society has become. This is coming from a black guy.

stlrtruck
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
What a joke our society has become.

Society? What Society?

steelpinstripe72
06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
So glad Gary Sheffield's not on my team anymore. What an idiot.

X-Terminator
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
That's quite a big byte Mr. Sheffield said.

Notice how Mr. Jackson and Al Sharpton are magically nowhere to be seen or heard from. They're like hypocritical ****roaches.

If this were a white player who said this, they'd be all over him in an instant. What a joke our society has become. This is coming from a black guy.

As another black guy, I'm right there with ya man. MLK would be horrified at what's happened to our society.

83-Steelers-43
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Society? What Society?

Amazing how quiet it is huh? No outrage. No 24/7 news reports. Not having to issue apologies until he's blue in the face. Not having to travel to different Hispanic radio stations or giving speech's to certain groups for the rest of his life. Not losing his job.

What a joke. :rolleyes:

revefsreleets
06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
He was forced to submit an explanation to clarify...it made almost no sense at all.

83-Steelers-43
06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
OK, back under the rug it goes. Nothing to see hear folks...move along....nothing to see here.

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 08:07 AM
And to make it better, Torii Hunter comes out and opens his mouth saying that there will be no black players in the league at all in 10 years or so (I don't remember the exact number)...nice to see positive influences at work in professional sports.

TackleMeBen
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Guillen and Polanco agreed with Sheffield saying that they were some what controlled. It was on the local sports talk show here yesterday.

fansince'76
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

Such an eloquent statement coming from an obvious master of the English language himself. :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
'Reverend' Al spotting. He's too busy jumping on the Paris Hilton debate. Go figure.

83-Steelers-43
07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Open mouth, insert foot once again. Can't wait to hear the excuse making for him this time around.

You stay classy Gary.....

Sheffield calls out Torre, Jeter, Bonds in HBO interview
ESPN.com news services

Gary Sheffield has strong words about New York Yankees manager Joe Torre, former Yankees teammate Derek Jeter, San Francisco slugger Barry Bonds and steroids in an interview with HBO's "Real Sports" that will air next Tuesday.

Sheffield says Torre treats black players differently from white players and says Jeter, who is from a mixed-race marriage, "ain't all the way black," during the interview with Andrea Kremer, as reported by Newsday.

As for Bonds, Sheffield says "if I took what Barry Bonds took, why don't I look like him?" He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

He added that he would be willing to talk to baseball's steroids investigator, former Senator George Mitchell. "I don't feel like it's all that much of a threat to me," he said.

A copy of the interview was made available to Newsday, the newspaper reported. The show airs for the first time on Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET.

Sheffield, who was traded to the Detroit Tigers during the offseason, claimed that a "couple of blacks that were there" had an issue with Torre.

"They weren't treated like everybody else. I got called out in a couple of meetings that I thought were unfair," Sheffield told Kremer.

Sheffield later added: "He had a message to get across to the whole team, so he used me to get the message across." Sheffield said Torre didn't use the same method with white players.

"No ... I'd see a lot of white players get called in the office and treated like a man. That's the difference."

Sheffield said he doesn't consider Torre a racist. "No. I think it's the way they do things around there," he said. "Since I was there I just saw that they run their ship different."

At that point, Kremer says to Sheffield that the Yankees most high-profile player is black. "Who?" Sheffield says.

Told Jeter, Sheffield says: "Derek Jeter is black and white."

Later, he said there was no real significance to Jeter's bi-racial heritage, but added: "Derek Jeter used to come to me and try to tell you what Joe Torre is all about, he's a good man, he's this, he's that, but like I tell Derek Jeter, that's you. It's one thing that they treat you a certain way; you don't feel what other people feel."

Torre, asked about Sheffield's comments prior to Friday night's game in Tampa Bay, said: "I don't even want to answer those kinds of questions. I'm more comfortable not answering."

As for Bonds, a former workout partner and friend of Sheffield's, the Tigers' outfielder says Bonds scoffed at him when he was using vitamins. Sheffield says he then got substances from BALCO, claiming not to know they were steroids.

"In a million years, I don't care what anybody says, steroids is something you shoot in your butt. I do know that ... The bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

Sheffield allegedly told a grand jury that he used steroid cream on his legs and "clear" under his tongue, but didn't know they were steroids.

He said his relationship with Bonds deteriorated because of a lack of trust.

"I trusted this man, he allowed me to stay in his house," Sheffield says. "I started seeing the control factor. I started seeing, wait a minute, you aren't going to tell me what to do."

Sheffield reportedly began the interview by saying: "I tell myself every offseason I'm not going to say anything crazy. I'm just going to have a peaceful season ... Can't do it. I'm cut from a different cloth."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2935737

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I can't say I'm surprised with the attitude he has.

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 10:27 PM
sometimes certain people need to keep their opinions to theirself. however, as long as he puts up good numbers and plays well Mr. I isnt going to do anything about him. the people in detroit will over look it.

83-Steelers-43
07-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I can't say I'm surprised with the attitude he has.

That's nice how he can simply come out in the media and accuse a man of being a racist in front of the whole country. I wonder if Jeter would agree? Or is Jeter too white to agree with Mr. Sheffield?

What an a-hole. First he jumps on hispanics and now he's accusing one of the most respected managers in MLB of being a racist. Like I said though, there will always be morons out there who will simply push this under the carpet and make excuses for the guy. Amazing, pathetic and sad all at the same time.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Sheff needs to shut his mouth. The reason that he thinks Torre is racist because the Yankees orgainization doesn't put up with certain types of players. The Yankees are all about proffesionalism and Sheffield rarely acts like a proffesional ex. his comments above. As for the Bonds sitiuation I am not defending the man but it has never been proved that he has taken steroids and if he did isn't there some sort of unwritten rule about selling out fellow players???

I'm also tired of Sheffield bringing race into every interview. Gary if you dont want racism to be an issue then dont make it one.

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Like I said though, there will always be morons out there who will simply push this under the carpet and make excuses for the guy. Amazing, pathetic and sad all at the same time.

I am not making excuses for the guy, b/c i have never liked him. but i do live in the detroit area and they didnt make a big issue about his comments about latin player, which is why i dont think they will make a big issue of the latest comments.

i just wanted to make sure you didnt think i was making excuses for him.

83-Steelers-43
07-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Gary if you dont want racism to be an issue then dont make it one.

But, but, but he "can't do it". He's "cut from a different cloth".

My only question, would that be the same cloth jerkoff John Rocker was cut from?

83-Steelers-43
07-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I am not making excuses for the guy, b/c i have never liked him. but i do live in the detroit area and they didnt make a big issue about his comments about latin player, which is why i dont think they will make a big issue of the latest comments.

i just wanted to make sure you didnt think i was making excuses for him.

First off, I'm not just talking about the people in the Detroit area. I wouldn't exactly expect an uproar in the hometown he's playing in.

Second, I never said you were.

tony hipchest
07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
As for Bonds, Sheffield says "if I took what Barry Bonds took, why don't I look like him?" He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

im taking it he has never received a "dilfer" from his girlfriend. (a dilfer is a term me and my buds came up with for a reach around. dont ask why, it just seems to fit :hunch:

:chuckle: (spread the word not the turd)

83-Steelers-43
07-13-2007, 10:42 PM
im taking it he has never received a "dilfer" from his girlfriend. (a dilfer is a term me and my buds came up with for a reach around. dont ask why, it just seems to fit :hunch:

lol, very.......................interesting there Tony. I really don't know what else to say.... :sofunny:

My buddies call it a Palmer.....:wink02:

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 10:45 PM

you just left me speechless tony..

tony hipchest
07-13-2007, 10:47 PM
lol, very.......................interesting there Tony. I really don't know what else to say.... :sofunny:

:toofunny: dammit tony... :dang: THINK before you type....:dang:

:toofunny:

:thumbsup: the direction this thread is taking deserves a "2 thumbs up" :jawdrop:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-13-2007, 10:51 PM
From Gary's big mouth to reach arounds. The direction some of these threads take....lol.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 10:51 PM

LMAO:sofunny::sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2007, 10:58 PM
That's nice how he can simply come out in the media and accuse a man of being a racist in front of the whole country. I wonder if Jeter would agree? Or is Jeter too white to agree with Mr. Sheffield?

What an a-hole. First he jumps on hispanics and now he's accusing one of the most respected managers in MLB of being a racist. Like I said though, there will always be morons out there who will simply push this under the carpet and make excuses for the guy. Amazing, pathetic and sad all at the same time.

Amen to that brother.

I hate Torre to death for him managing abilities. He can find ways to beat you when you least expect it. However, off the field, he's a good man.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm just gonna take what Sheffeild says and ignore it from now on. I'm tired of hearing his crap.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2007, 11:06 PM
:toofunny: dammit tony... :dang: THINK before you type....:dang:

:toofunny:

:thumbsup: the direction this thread is taking deserves a "2 thumbs up" :jawdrop:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

and cyber tomatoing of cincy.

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm tired of hearing his crap.

I think Torre, Jeter and the majority of Hispanic ball players feel the same. Maybe Sheffield never did steroids (although I wouldn't be surprised if he did), but him and Bonds do have something in common.....ignorance and a big mouth.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Open mouth, insert foot once again. You stay classy Gary.....

He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

hey sheff....open rectum, remove head

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/headUpAss-1.jpg

i guess with his inflated ego and swollen head shoved so far up there, there is no room to stick anything else in his butt.

he is one angry rich man. i understand he feels slighted in life. trying to drag everyone down with him is whats uncool.

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 04:26 PM
i understand he feels slighted in life.

Can you blame him for feeling slighted? I mean, if you payed me $10,916,071 for playing a game I can guarantee you I would feel slighted. That's not counting the millions of dollars those racist Yankees paid him over the years.

Life has been horrible to Gary as you can tell by his yearly income. Poor guy. We can only pray that things turn around for Gary and life starts treating him more fairly. The 'man' has to stop holding Gary down. It's not fair to Gary or his wide variety of sports cars, his three mansions, his yacht or his beach house in Aruba. :wink02:

Look at this face......

http://thecompetitive.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/73311414eg058_detroit_tiger_2hmedium.jpeg

As you can tell Gary looks deathly ill with horrible signs of malnutrition. That rough and unfair road we like to call life has taken it's toll on Gary over the years as you can tell by the above photograph.

So please, for $500 a day you can contribute to the Gary Sheffield Foundation. All money donated will be deposited directly into Gary's bank account. Please call 1-800-235-JOFF........1-800-235-JOFF.

I know, I know. Now your going to ask me "Hey Frank! What do I get in return for my donation?"

And I say your gift in return people is knowing Gary will be able to survive one more day on God's green earth.

Thank You.