PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Select Pitcher in First Round

83-Steelers-43
06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
:sofunny:

Just one of many reasons why they suck year after year. They don't want to spend the money. So much for Matt Wieters. Baltimore took him directly after we picked up another pitcher. Committed to winning my a$$. Let the excuses begin to flow...

Pirates select pitcher in first round of MLB draft
Thursday, June 07, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates selected left-handed pitcher Daniel Moskos from Clemson University with the fourth pick in the first round of the 2007 Major League Baseball draft this afternoon in Orlando.

According to MLB.com, Moskos is one of the, if not the top, college reliever in the draft class, helped by the fact he throws from the left side. While some think he can start because of three potential pitches, the bullpen is a more likely permanent home for the hard-throwing southpaw.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound, 21-year-old California native has been clocked to have a 96 mph. fastball.

Check back shortly for more details.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07158/792315-63.stm

Black@Gold Forever32
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I shook my head when I saw they selected another pitcher....Plus a relieve pitcher at that....lol

83-Steelers-43
06-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I shook my head when I saw they selected another pitcher....Plus a relieve pitcher at that....lol

Same old, same old. Further proof that this ownership group doesn't give a damn about winning. Then again why would they when they have sheep giving them money during every home game? The same sheep who will be calling in the local sport shows tonight complaining and acting surprised with this decision. :coffee:

Wonder what Junker will have to say about this: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_510855.html

Black@Gold Forever32
06-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Same old, same old. Further proof that this ownership group doesn't give a damn about winning. Then again why would they when they have sheep giving them money during every home game? The same sheep who will be calling in the local sport shows tonight complaining and acting surprised with this decision. :coffee:

Wonder what Junker will have to say about this: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_510855.html

You're totally right 83....The sheep need to stop attending those games...I try to tell my Dad to stop going to the Pirate games...But he is such a diehard and he loves his Buccos...He actually like baseball more then football....So he will always support the Pirates....I'm still a Pirate fan and always will be but this is getting old how the Nuttens just don't give a damn about fielding a winning team....So I won't attended any Pirate games in the near future when iI'm in the Pittsburgh area.....Its time for the fans to say enough is enough....A pitcher yet again....:sofunny: I can't wait to talk to my Dad about this one....lol

At least I still can read about the 60 Bucs or the 71/79 Pirates teams....Or I still have memories of the 90-92 Pirates teams...No world series titles in the 90s but at least they were division winners...I don't know what I would do if the Pirates actually won their division in the near future....:sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
06-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Nevermind Millen and the Lions, this is the worst sports franchise in all of sport. They have a chance at getting "that big bat" and yet they pass on the guy because they don't want to cough up the cash. How in the hell are you ever going to win?

I've never seen anything that was funny, sad and pathetic all at the same time. This 'organization' takes the cake by far and yet a good number of fans take it in stride. If Pirates fans put as much heat on ownership as Steeler fans do on the Rooney's maybe some changes would occur.

X-Terminator
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
They didn't just take A pitcher, but they've now taken TWO pitchers in the first 2 rounds.

It isn't even funny anymore how absolutely pathetic this organization is.

SteelCityMan786
06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
They didn't just take A pitcher, but they've now taken TWO pitchers in the first 2 rounds.

It isn't even funny anymore how absolutely pathetic this organization is.

Or the level they have went to.

83-Steelers-43
06-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Pirates must be kidding

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 8, 2007

Bob Nutting, who says he's "absolutely" committed to winning, struck out looking.

The Pirates' principal owner watched a belt-high fastball -- otherwise known as Matt Wieters -- cut the middle of the plate.

His bat never moved.

With that, the Pirates should have lowered the Jolly Roger, raised the white flag and changed their silly slogan to, "We Won't."

When it was their turn to pick in the draft Thursday, the Pirates bypassed the best player on the board because they're too cheap. It's that simple.

Say this much, though: They issued a whale of a news release upon selecting Clemson pitcher Daniel Moskos.

Keep in mind, he was the fourth pick overall, the second pitcher taken.

The second paragraph of the release ended like this: "(Moskos) was ranked by Baseball America as the fifth-best pitcher available in the draft."

The fifth-best?

And you thought nothing could top the time the Pirates drafted Bryan Bullington first overall and general manager Dave Littlefield said, "We feel comfortable projecting him as a No. 3 starter."

Moskos might turn out fine. He was Baseball America's eighth-ranked prospect.

But he was neither the highest-rated pitcher nor the highest-rated left-hander still available.

More to the point, Wieters, a switch-hitting catcher out of Georgia Tech, was by far the highest-rated position player available. Baseball America labeled him the best position player in the draft and quoted a scout as saying only Twins star Joe Mauer was better among the amateur catchers he had seen.

Keith Law, director of scouting for ESPN's Scouts Inc., and an analyst on ESPN2's draft coverage, calls Wieters a "once-in-a-decade kind of talent."

Kevin Goldstein of Baseballprospectus.com wrote Wednesday in his draft preview, which appeared on SI.com, "The Pirates would like to take Wieters, but a request submitted to ownership to spend big money was quickly denied."

Littlefield flatly denied the report yesterday.

The only hitters of Wieters' pedigree were high school third baseman Josh Vitters, who went third to the Chicago Cubs, and high school infielder Mike Moustakas, who went second to Kansas City.

That left Wieters as the obvious choice, but, alas, he's a Scott Boras client.

Boras is known for demanding huge signing bonuses and immediate major-league contracts.

Of course, that didn't scare the Royals from taking a Boras client (Moustakas) for the second consecutive year.

It didn't scare Milwaukee from taking a Boras client (Matt LaPorta, seventh overall), either.

And after Nutting whiffed, the Baltimore Orioles took Wieters at No. 5. The Orioles had a history of avoiding Boras.

The Detroit Tigers, who once shared baseball's low-rent district with the Pirates, snagged a consensus top-five talent and Boras client, pitcher Rick Porcello, at No. 27.

You can't get something for Nutting. What was it actor Michael Keaton famously said about his hometown Pirates?

"At some point, you have to write the check."

This was the perfect chance.

If you're grading the draft, give Kansas City, Baltimore and Detroit an A.

Give Bob Nutting a backward K.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_511615.html

83-Steelers-43
06-08-2007, 12:10 AM
What was it actor Michael Keaton famously said about his hometown Pirates?

"At some point, you have to write the check."

LOL, I remember that. I also remember Keaton taking heat from the media and Pirate fans for making those comments.

"Who is he to come here and say that and then throw out the first pitch?"

"Mr. Hollywood comes back home, criticizes ownership and then hops back on his plane."

Only in Pittsburgh would that guy get bashed for making those comments. Hell, any other city would have applauded and welcomed the guy's comments. I guess the thought of firework and bobblehead nights are just too damn enticing....pffhh.

Crushzilla
06-08-2007, 12:51 AM
I went to a game last week. Last Friday. I had never been to PNC and the opprotunity came up so I couldn't pass it up.

It was college night. I got a free t-shirt, free hat, 10 voucher for food, for a 20 dollar ticket. AND if they would have won (they didn't) I would have gotten 10 bucks at Dick's.

Safe to say I made money last Friday...

The money being spent is totally misdirected. I won't NOT support them, though.

People not coming anymore = No more Buccos...

That is a BAD thing. I don't understand how boycotting the team is productive.

83-Steelers-43
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
People not coming anymore = No more Buccos...

That is a BAD thing. I don't understand how boycotting the team is productive.

I respectfully disagree Crushzilla...

This is a proven baseball market. MLB knows that if there is a minor league product on the field people still show up to watch piss poor basball. If people stopped showing up do you think Selig would choose moving the team (losing money) or sitting down with Nutting and McClatchy and having a nice long talk about what in the hell they are doing every year?

Also, if McClatchy and Nutting start seeing that cash flow diminish (that's all they care about) they will sell to a smart businessman who see's a city with one hell of a baseball field already in place and the potential of selling out every night. Pittsburgh and baseball is a huge money maker for MLB and for potential buyers.

They have had Pittsburgh buyers knocking on their door (Cuban being one of them) for a couple of years now. McClatchy stated he did not want to sell. Can you blame him? I wouldn't sell either if I could sell a cheap and horrible product to people who keep coming back for more. Why would I sell? I would just send out pathetically deceiving and cheesy marketing campaigns (WE WILL), give out bobbleheads and other cheap products and tell them they will see fireworks every so often. That seems to work in this city.

Three reasons why I don't attend:

1) Waste of money. The ball park was nice and pretty the first season. Yeah, eventually I want to watch an actual MLB team. I have a problem with giving my money to an ownership group who has proven to me over the years that they don't give a damn about me or Pittsburgh fans in general.

2) Already pay for Steeler and Penguin season tickets.

3) I would at least like to get kissed by McClatchy and Nutting before I get......nevermind.

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_511679.html

Pirates can't stay away from pitchers in first round

By The Associated Press
Friday, June 8, 2007

No matter what they say or do in advance, the Pittsburgh Pirates always seem to take the same path in the first round of the June draft.

They choose a pitcher they can sign.

Daniel Moskos, a Clemson left-hander ranked as the No. 5 pitcher in the draft by Baseball America, went to the Pirates with the No. 4 overall pick ? or about four to five spots higher than projected.

Because of his size (6-foot-1, 200 pounds), he is expected to be a reliever in the majors, although he has started for Clemson of late.

"We see him helping our major league staff in the near future," Pirates scouting director Ed Creech said.

Although Moskos has three excellent pitches and could advance through their farm system quickly, the Pirates have so many needs that a left-handed reliever would seem to be a luxury with so high a pick in the first round.

Moskos apparently felt so, calling his selection by Pittsburgh a surprise and a m ajor shock.

Moskos' selection marked the seventh time in nine years and eighth in 11 years the Pirates went for a pitcher in the first round. Five of the six most recent first-rounders have needed reconstructive arm surgery, and that group has combined for only 19 major league victories ? 13 by Paul Maholm (2003).

The Pirates, on pace for a 15th consecutive losing season, were believed to have wanted Cypress, Calif., high school third baseman Josh Vitters, but he went to the Cubs with the No. 3 pick.

Still, Pittsburgh had position player options with the No. 4 pick, including Georgia Tech's Matt Wieters, an excellent offensive and defensive catcher who was seen as the best college hitter available in the draft. But he is represented by agent Scott Boars, who often demands his clients be paid a premium.

The Pirates apparently felt Wieters would cost them far too much to sign and thus went for a non-Boras player whose bargaining power isn't as strong. I mmediately after the Pirates passed on him, Wieters went to Baltimore at No. 5.

Before the draft, general manager Dave Littlefield said he wouldn't necessarily be scared off by a Boras client, but the Pirates have a track record of avoiding them. Last year, they also had the No. 4 pick and used it on Houston right-hander Brad Lincoln, who got a $2.75 million signing bonus but has since needed surgery. Wieters may have wanted three times that much.

The Pirates also passed on Vanderbilt right-hander Casey Weathers, who some scouts consider to be a better relief prospect than Moskos; California high school third baseman Matt Dominguez; and Georgia high school outfielder Jason Heyward, who went No. 14 to Atlanta after being projected to go higher. Dominguez worked out for the Pirates this week.

The 21-year-old Moskos is 3-5 with a 2.91 ERA and 74 strikeouts in 26 games, including nine starts, and has a 10-12 career record. He will start for Clemson on Friday in an NCAA Super Regional game at Mississippi State. The winner of the three-game series advances to the College World Series.

Last summer, Moskos had an 0.86 ERA with six saves in 18 appearances, plus 35 strikeouts in 21 innings, with the gold medal-winning USA National team.

Moskos' fastball has hit 96 mph out of the bullpen, but drops to the 92-93 mph range when he starts. He also has an effective slider and a curveball he most often uses early in counts.

The last Clemson pitcher taken by Pittsburgh in the first round was Kris Benson in 1996. Benson, the No. 1 overall pick, had a disappointing Pirates career, going 43-49 from 1999-2004, and has since pitched for the Mets and Orioles.

Punxsutawney High catcher Devin Mesoraco worked out for the Pirates on Sunday and was scouted by Littlefield the next day during a PIAA playoff game. He went No. 15 to Cincinnati.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 10:52 AM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/07160/792873-63.stm

Major League Baseball Draft: Nutting denies 'cheap' reports
Says Pirates chose Moskos in first round because he was player they wanted

Saturday, June 09, 2007
By Paul Meyer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Among the factors that have annoyed Pirates fans relative to the team's drafting of Clemson left-hander Daniel Moskos with the fourth pick overall Thursday was this item on Baseballprospectus.com.

Kevin Goldstein wrote the day before the draft began: "The Pirates would like to take [Matt] Wieters, but a request submitted to ownership to spend big money was quickly denied."

Yesterday, Pirates ownership -- as did general manager Dave Littlefield Thursday -- emphatically denied that such an incident happened.

"Normally, I don't comment on internal discussions, but frankly that is absolutely not true," said Bob Nutting, the Pirates' chairman of the board. "That was not a discussion any of us had. I don't understand where stuff like that comes from."

"We took the player our baseball people wanted," said Kevin McClatchy, the organization's chief executive officer. "We're happy with the player we drafted. If our baseball people decide that's who they want, we go down that road. I knew who Dave wanted to take and I accepted his recommendation."

That player was Moskos, although it is quite likely the Pirates would have opted for high school third baseman Josh Vitters had he been available. Vitters, though, was picked by the Chicago Cubs with the third overall pick.

That left Moskos.

Wieters was not considered because the Pirates felt Wieters' adviser, super agent Scott Boras, had set an asking price that was far above the value the Pirates had placed on the much-hyped, switch-hitting Georgia Tech catcher.

That price could be a four-year major-league deal worth as much as $10 million. And the four years count as major-league service time -- whether Wieters is in the majors or not -- meaning at the end of those four years Wieters would need only two more years of service time to become a free agent.

"It is important to remember that the draft is relatively unsure," Nutting said. "It's high risk. That story plays out over and over again. I have more confidence in the opinions of Dave and [scouting director] Ed Creech than I do in the opinions of the media and agents and industry publications.

"I have much more faith in our people judging talent and judging talent that fits our needs."

Boras sometimes designates players as "special" and he tries to get -- and does get -- more than top dollar for them.

His track record, however, is not all that good in regard relative to major-league success.

Among those players Boras designated as "special" in recent years are pitchers Chad Hutchinson, Jeff Austin and Nick Stocks, who appeared in a combined total of 41 major-league games.

Catcher Dane Sardinha played in two major-league games.

There are four "special" players who have recognizable names -- J.D. Drew, Jeff Weaver, Brad Wilkerson and Mark Teixeira. Of those four, arguably, only Teixeira could be deemed a star.

"The draft is an inexact science," McClatchy said.

Consider that high picks Brien Taylor, Matt White and Travis Lee received a combined total of $21.75 million in signing bonuses, but only Lee played in the major leagues and was not a star.

Of course, the Pirates could miss on Moskos, too.

But for now?

"I think people should focus on the player we drafted," McClatchy said. "Our baseball people believe he has a promising future."

Moskos, however, did not have a good day yesterday.

He started for Clemson at Mississippi State in the first game of a best-of-three NCAA super regional. Moskos pitched superbly for the first four innings, working unscathed out of a bases-loaded, no-outs jam in the third inning.

In the fifth, he yielded a game-tying two-run home run. And he didn't survive the sixth, which he and the Tigers entered with a 5-2 lead.

In what became an 8-6 Clemson loss, Moskos allowed nine hits, no walks and six runs (five earned) while striking out four in 51/3 innings.

Another loss in Starkville, and Clemson's season will end. That will leave Moskos, who probably will be initially used as a closer by the Pirates, free to negotiate his signing bonus, which likely will be in the neighborhood of $2.75 million.

There seems to be little question that Moskos, a junior, will sign.

"The [past few] weeks, it wasn't really a question of whether or not I was going to sign," Moskos said. "It was more a question of where I was going to go. I think it's time for me to start my professional baseball career."

"He wants to move on -- like most of our [draftees] have [in the past]," Clemson pitching coach Kevin O'Sullivan said.

The Pirates, too, no doubt would like to move on here.

"Sure you're conscious of it [media criticism] and aware of it [fan displeasure]," McClatchy said. "But I don't think you judge the success of a draft until about three or four years out. If this player turns out to be successful for the Pittsburgh Pirates, I think people will look back and say, 'This was a good draft.'

"It's just like with trades. You have to wait and see."

In the 20th round, the Pirates selected Brian Tracy, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound right-handed pitcher from the University of California Santa Barbara. Tracy is the oldest of manager Jim Tracy's three sons and the second to be drafted.

"I'm very proud of the fact that two of my three boys are getting a chance to play professional baseball," Tracy said.

83-Steelers-43
06-09-2007, 12:22 PM
"Normally, I don't comment on internal discussions, but frankly that is absolutely not true," said Bob Nutting, the Pirates' chairman of the board. "That was not a discussion any of us had. I don't understand where stuff like that comes from."

"We took the player our baseball people wanted," said Kevin McClatchy, the organization's chief executive officer. "We're happy with the player we drafted. If our baseball people decide that's who they want, we go down that road. I knew who Dave wanted to take and I accepted his recommendation."

http://bushspeaks.com/img/liar.jpg

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 02:47 PM
:sofunny: That Picture never gets old.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
i think the picking of two pitchers in the first two rounds is a great idea. if you look at our team right now what is our main weakness. our pitching staff especially our bullpen. a left handed releiver can be a huge addition to any team. marte is getting up there in age and moskos could be ready by time he is done. and look who we got in the third round Brian Friday out of rice. great college player and probably is jack wilson's replacement.

Draft Breakdown
Pitchers- 26
Catchers- 6
Infielders- 11
Outfielders- 5