PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 16th best??

LarryNJ
06-08-2007, 07:57 AM
I'd put them a little closer to 10, 16th is way too low. Bronco's 4th??

Click here (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6897650)

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Don't worry, those rankings won't mean a thing till the season is over.

fansince'76
06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Power rankings. :yawn: :coffee:

Aussie_steeler
06-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Ranked behind the 49ers is a bit insulting

Livinginthe past
06-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Love it or loathe is Power rankings are always hugely popular - mainly just as converstional pieces to get some discussion going.

Seahawks look a little high, although their newly acquired safety combo is getting alot of praise so far.

Its interesting that the guys doing these rankings struggle to be consistent with their criteria - Colts get to stay at number one despite their Defense being totally re-vamped with rookies, they remain No.1 because they won the SB last year.

Yet there you have the 49ers sitting at position 12 despite a 7-9 season in the NFC based mostly on offseason pick-ups that are totally unproven in San Francisco.

The question I always ask when comparing ramkings is how the teams at certain rankings would actually match up on neutral territory.

I would make Pittsburgh (especially as they are AFC), Dallas, St Louis, Jax, as pretty strong favorites if they faced the 49ers.

8-8 is literally middle of the road as far as records go but as Pittsburgh are AFC they should get the benefit of that in any rankings.

Its the situation and flux in the HC situation that is keeping predictors cautious about what they can do this year - if Cowher was back with a huge contract they'd probably be top8

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 08:28 AM
It's all good, just like in 2005, the media is hating on us (oh man I can't believe I just used that phrase). But usually that's when the team will come together.

Think of it this way...

We play 8 out of 15 teams in front of us during the regular season. So we'll be able to serve them a nice warm dish of STFU with a nice tall glass of SIT DOWN

Aussie_steeler
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Best way to look at it is they are sitting on the fence for this season.

Which ever way it pans out this season they wont be too far out with their prediction in their mind. They are having a bit of money each way.

They treating Jacksonsville, Carolina and Dallas the same way.

I agree with your assessment about cowher and the higher ranking.

steelersfanman92
06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I dont know about that ranking. Come on the 49ers? These things dont mean anything anyways.

TackleMeBen
06-08-2007, 09:09 AM
maybe they can use that as more motivation to kick butt this season.:smile:

Buzz05
06-08-2007, 09:25 AM
With the inconsistencies we had last year I would put us at around 12 or so. With the coaching change, and the player loss its not all that far fetched. Do I think we are better yes. But I also can see where some sports writers would think we are in the middle of the pack right now.

But then again Power Rankings mean nothing come September. Its just a conversation peice for the summer and an easy article to write for them when there isnt anything to write about.

fansince'76
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Gee, I hope that low offseason ranking of 16th doesn't hurt our bid for a BCS bowl. :yawn:

stlrtruck
06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Gee, I hope that low offseason ranking of 16th doesn't hurt our bid for a BCS bowl. :yawn:

:toofunny:

Nah, I think by mid-season we should be able to break the top 5 and then work our way to the #1 or #2 spot with power house football to finish out the season.

Elvis
06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
I think that we should be listed atleast in the top 10... maybe not any higher than that until we find out just what kind of coach Tomlin is gonna be. I think that we easily top our last years record of 8-8 if Ben is back to form as 2 years ago , then we will be hard to beat... but we'll have to wait and see

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I think that we should be listed atleast in the top 10... maybe not any higher than that until we find out just what kind of coach Tomlin is gonna be. I think that we easily top our last years record of 8-8 if Ben is back to form as 2 years ago , then we will be hard to beat... but we'll have to wait and see

That's for sure. We still haven't hit camp yet.

Dynasty
06-08-2007, 03:54 PM
i think this dude is

1. the worlds biggest denver homer
2. completely high at the time he wrote this article.

Cape Cod Steel Head
06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Its hard to argue that we aren't 16th based on our performance last year. But when all is said and done we'll be in the top ten yet once again.

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Don't worry the Steelers will end up #1 by the end of the season :tt02::tt02:

SteelersMongol
06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
i think this dude is

1. the worlds biggest denver homer
2. completely high at the time he wrote this article.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: Yes, I think this is crazy too. We're behind the Bungholes and the new coming Jets? CRAZY!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 12:25 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: Yes, I think this is crazy too. We're behind the Bungholes and the new coming Jets? CRAZY!!!!!

Especially after we opened a can of whoop ass on the Bengals to knock them out of the playoffs for the last 2 years.

bettis36
06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
How the heck did the 49ers rank higher than the Steelers? Their record in 2006 was like What... 6-10

moedap
06-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I was reading the post that referenced the Power Rankings. There were a couple of posts which liked the fact our ranking was so low based on the belief that the low ranking would serve as a motivating force this season for the Steelers. Although this is my first year on Steelersfever other message boards I am apart of also express the sentiment that our Steelers work best when they are the underdogs. I read it all last year,all of 2005, all of 2004, etc... I myself have used the rhetoric of liking the role of underdogs only to exact revenge later but I was wrong to think that way and so are the Steeler players if they do.
I would rather be in the position of the overdog. The team that everyone expects to win. Subscribing to an underdog status even if used to motivate seems to admit an inferiority complex. I want this team to develop a superior complex. I want to go back to the days when the fans of other NFL teams actually hated our guts because they knew we were the team to beat. Now it seems as if we are not the team to beat as much as the team to "watch" out for.

Crushzilla
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
The Steelers aren't the ones who label the Steelers as inferior. The media does that for us, which is a GREAT motivator. Don't worry, you won't hear Willie and Hines walking around training camp saying, "Well looks like another 8-8 season." I know what you mean, though.

Things are different now. Teams that command respect, won't usually get it from the everyman. The Patriots are the best team of the decade. Yet everyone who isn't from New England, or a fan of the SPORT, hates their guts. I love to see them get pounded around the field, but how can I lie and say that the above comment isn't true. It is true. Fortunately, The Steelers are a team that have enjoyed a lot of winning. We have burned a lot of franchises at least once or twice. Everyone should be "watching out for" the Steelers EVERY year. We have a clear dominance over the Bengals, but they will never fear us because them joking about it and calling us "Squealers" makes the fact that we send them home every year somewhat tolerable. People make jokes when they are scared. They give us NO respect, and in actually they should just bend over and call it a day. Making jokes about Hines Ward being the VT Shooter and laughing when Ben almost died. Sh*t that transcends football are meaningless to A LOT of Bengal fans that I've seen. I'll probably get an argument, but prove me wrong. I've seen Bengal forums.

Us? We make jokes because that's what the Bengals are. Until they can prove that they can keep even half decent guys around and not in jail and actually prove something, they're just glorified Brownies.

Unfortunately, the days of the Steel Curtain are long gone. No more Joe and Jack to come flying over the middle. I don't think anyone is ever going to fear a team like that again...

ChronoCross
06-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Then you should of posted this in power rankings.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17228

onthebus36
06-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Seems like he spends most of the article talking about the "lewd email." How is an email sent over a month before camp relevant to anything happening on the field? How is it relevant to anything?

I also notice that the Bungles are coming off an 8-8 season too but are six positions higher and they've gone 8-8 three of the last four seasons.

Whatever...

onthebus36
06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Also, earlier someone posted about the inconsistent "rules" being applied. I totally agree with that.

A new coaching staff is a knock on the Steelers but won't effect the Chargers apparently. You can make a case that it's still Norv Turner's offensive system in San Diego but you can say the same thing about the Steeler D.

Oh well, I guess the point is to get people talking. If it was a popularity contest, the Steelers would win every year!

83-Steelers-43
06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
With the inconsistencies we had last year I would put us at around 12 or so. With the coaching change, and the player loss its not all that far fetched. Do I think we are better yes. But I also can see where some sports writers would think we are in the middle of the pack right now.

I agree. Between last seasons showing, coaching changes and big question marks at positions such as QB, DB and the O-line I can understand the rankings to a degree. That doesn't mean I completely agree with a #16 ranking, but I guess they can't be perfect or please everyone.

Eitherway, it's just a ranking. I'm more conerned with our QB than I am with somebody's power ranking.

TackleMeBen
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I agree. Between last seasons showing, coaching changes and big question marks at positions such as QB, DB and the O-line I can understand the rankings to a degree. That doesn't mean I completely agree with a #16 ranking, but I guess they can't be perfect or please everyone.

Eitherway, it's just a ranking. I'm more conerned with our QB than I am with somebody's power ranking.

i agree with you. i am concerned with how our qb will play than some power rankings. i think he will either be the key to the success of the team or the downfall of the team.

onthebus36
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
i agree with you. i am concerned with how our qb will play than some power rankings. i think he will either be the key to the success of the team or the downfall of the team.

Isn't that basically true of all NFL teams? :smile:

TackleMeBen
06-11-2007, 07:36 PM

yes, but more is riding on ours than most. b/c he was suppost to have another good season last year not getting killed :wink02:.

Steelersfan4life0655
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
screw power rankings! they dont mean alot. only play will determain who is good or not

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2007, 12:45 AM

No. Some teams are not worrying about a QB coming off a bike accident, a horrible season, a new coaching staff and an expected upcoming bank breaking contract on the line.

So no, I wouldn't compare our QB situation with "all NFL teams". If somebody could point me out a QB situation such as the one mentioned above I will stand corrected.

tony hipchest
06-12-2007, 12:56 AM
dont worry people. theres still a chance that tom brady, peyton manning, philip rivers, or drew brees will get in a motorcycle accident and knock their teams off the top.

...wait :dang; are any of them guys admitted motorcycle riders w/o a helmet? im sure more writers would rank the steelers higher, but im sure theyre all still feeling a little burnt after ranking the steelers #1 last year, only to have them start out 2-6....

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2007, 12:57 AM
only to have them start out 2-6....

That could have something to do with it....lol.

tony hipchest
06-12-2007, 01:03 AM
That could have something to do with it....lol.i think we were as low as 25th in some power rankings at that point. of course i knew we were better than that (as our 6-2 run down the stretch showed) but still...

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2007, 01:08 AM
i think we were as low as 25th in some power rankings at that point. of course i knew we were better than that (as our 6-2 run down the stretch showed) but still...

As a fan of the team I would say that 25 was pushing it, but I really can't blame somebody from the outside looking in. By no means would I (did I) agree, but I would not exactly say they are (were) crazy at the time.

TackleMeBen
06-12-2007, 06:57 AM
dont worry people. theres still a chance that tom brady, peyton manning, philip rivers, or drew brees will get in a motorcycle accident and knock their teams off the top.

...wait :dang; are any of them guys admitted motorcycle riders w/o a helmet? im sure more writers would rank the steelers higher, but im sure theyre all still feeling a little burnt after ranking the steelers #1 last year, only to have them start out 2-6....

brady is too metrosexual to be a 'real' man and get on a motorcycle..lol

manning is too busy filming commericals to make more money

and the other two are still trying to figure out how to make it to the superbowl....lol :flap:

onthebus36
06-12-2007, 09:50 AM
The statement "i think he will either be the key to the success of the team or the downfall of the team." is basically true of all NFL QBs. You switch Tom Brady and Charlie Frye and records definitely change. Not true?

Regarding Ben, we ABSOLUTELY have a lot on him this season especially since they are letting him carry a heavier load. Coming off an injury-plagued season and given more responsiblity, it's time to see what he can really do.

It's funny, in some ways 2005 seems like ten years ago already. It's hard to believe Ben has only been with us for three seasons.

BaltimoreRavens
06-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Stupid rankings. The Chargers showed they could do nothing but melt down late in the season, and lose at home to a team with no real wide reciever threat. The Broncos at number 4 with a less than mediocre sophmore at the helm? Thanks but no thanks.

pEktaS
06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
it means nothing

i mean cmon they have the bengals in front of us and we all know that will never be true cause worst case they will just get arrested

X-Terminator
06-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm all for thinking that the Steelers will have a big rebound season, but let's give credit where credit is due, people. Right now, the Ravens look very good and are a very strong favorite to repeat as AFC North champs, even with the loss of Adalius Thomas. I'm not going to concede it to them by any means, but I'm not going to be a blind homer either.

Preacher
06-13-2007, 12:42 AM
I'm all for thinking that the Steelers will have a big rebound season, but let's give credit where credit is due, people. Right now, the Ravens look very good and are a very strong favorite to repeat as AFC North champs, even with the loss of Adalius Thomas. I'm not going to concede it to them by any means, but I'm not going to be a blind homer either.

As much as I HATE to agree with you... I have to.

they owned us last year. Regardless of it being BSP, or bad play-calling, etc, they owned us. Until we SHOW that we can beat them, I gotta put them as first.