PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Sports memories you would like to forget, but can't.

Edman
06-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I can come up with three out of the top of my head.

1) Pirates losing to Braves in Game 7 of 1992 NLCS, this is the top one because that was the last time the city seen a winning Pirates team.

2) Defending Stanley Cup Champion Penguins losing to Cinderella Islanders in 1993.

3) Steelers losing to Chargers in 1994 AFCC.

4) Steelers losing to Pats in 2004 AFCC. The others were painful, but this one hit me pretty hard. I remember not wanting to get up to go to school the next day I was hurt so bad. The whole city went dead in just an instant.

5) Pirates Seasons 1993 Onward and the many broken promises by the shoddy organization.

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2007, 09:57 PM
1) All the times Torres blew games this year

2) all the AFC Championship Game Losses suffered during my life

3) The Loss in Super Bowl XXX

4) The NLCS Loss

Crushzilla
06-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Super Bowl XXX comes to mind, but

Losing to the Pats after a 15-1 season... That was brutal

83-Steelers-43
06-09-2007, 07:37 AM
1) Super Bowl XXX

2) 1992-1993 Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Islanders

3) 2004 AFC Championship Game

4) Pittsburgh Pirates vs Atlanta Braves NLCS

5) 1988-198 Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadephia Flyers

6) 2001 AFC Championship Game

7) 1994 AFC Championship Game

8) 1999-2000 Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadephia Flyers

9) Every year the Pittsburgh Pirates play

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2007, 08:07 AM
1. The 1992 NLCS-Without a doubt this is number 1 for me....The 90 and 91 NLCS losses also suck but this one was the worst.....It was the Pirates last chance with that roster of players to get to the World Series and they fell short again....The vision of Sid Bream crossing home plate still makes me sick. That makes its worse to since he was a former Bucco....lol God damn Francisco Cabrera.....lol

2. The 1994 AFC Title Game-Ok lossing an AFC Title doesn't feel the same as lossing a Super Bowl but this one did for me.....The Steelers should have killed the Chargers in that game....The 94 Blitzburgh defense was just amazing and I think that defense would have gave the 94 49ers a game in the Super Bowl......Still trying to figure out how Alfred Pupunu was wide open........He is the Francisco Cabrera for me in the football world....Two sorry and unknown players kept the Pirates and Steelers from the World Series and Super Bowl....lol

3. Super Bowl XXX-This was a great game.....The suprise onside kick will stick with me until the day I die....When Deon Figures recovered that kick I thought the Steelers were going to win that game....Then Neil made Larry Brown his favorite reciever and the rest is history....

4. The 2001 AFC Title Game-I still say the Steelers were the better team....Sorry LITP....But hey when you give up two special teams TDs and when Kordell plays crappy like he did most of the time in the play-offs then you don't deserve to win....

5. The 1997 AFC Title Game-I thought the Steelers for sure were going to the Super Bowl that year.....They beat the Broncos in the regular season....Plus Kordell had a very good season that year when he threw for 21 TDs and ran for 11.....If the Steelers would have won that game...I know for sure Bettis would have ran on the Packers defense just like TD did....

PisnNapalm
06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Neil FREAKING O'Donnell

steelpinstripe72
06-09-2007, 01:21 PM
1. Super Bowl XXX. Especially since we (my family and I) went next door for a Super Bowl party and everyone there was rooting for the Cowboys - except for me, my dad, and some guy I didn't know.

2. 2004 AFCCG, which touched off the worst two weeks ever. First, we lose the game. Then I get sick for about a week and a half. And some other stuff, but anyway. Yeah. I think that one hurt a bit more than the others, because we were coming off a 15-1 season.

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
sid bream

of course thats just baseball.

wasnt it pupunu who pooped on us when he deflected odonnels limp wristed pass to barry foster camped out in the endzone vs the chargers in 94?......Still trying to figure out how Alfred Pupunu was wide open........He is the Francisco Cabrera for me in the football world....Two sorry and unknown players kept the Pirates and Steelers from the World Series and Super Bowl....lol

thats right! alfred e newman :dang:

neil freaking odonnell (XXX) hearts larry brown.

3rd and 6 to shannon sharpe in 97.

blocked fg in 2001 when it was clear we were the dominant team.

joe nedney flopping in 2002 playoffs after what was another great tommy maddox comeback.

almost choking to the jets in 2005

colcloughs fumble in 2006 vs. cinncinatti.

the "coinflip" game in 98.

watching joe montana lead an overtime playoff win for the cheifs.

barry sanders juking rod woodson out of his knee ligaments on openning day.

dallas killing the steelers the last 2 times they faced either on thanksgiving (92?) and opening day.

2nd year dan marion beating the steelers in the afcc game and leading the dolphins to his only sb at the expense of the team he shoulda been playing for.

and for the penguins probably the 5 period overtime game in 2000 and the subsequent loss of the series. as memorable and historic as it was, that was a rough game to watch.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Neil FREAKING O'Donnell

All of us probably do want to forget him.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2007, 04:04 PM
sid bream

of course thats just baseball.

wasnt it pupunu who pooped on us when he deflected odonnels limp wristed pass to barry foster camped out in the endzone vs the chargers in 94?

thats right! alfred e newman :dang:

neil freaking odonnell (XXX) hearts larry brown.

3rd and 6 to shannon sharpe in 97.

blocked fg in 2001 when it was clear we were the dominant team.

joe nedney flopping in 2002 playoffs after what was another great tommy maddox comeback.

almost choking to the jets in 2005

colcloughs fumble in 2006 vs. cinncinatti.

the "coinflip" game in 98.

watching joe montana lead an overtime playoff win for the cheifs.

barry sanders juking rod woodson out of his knee ligaments on openning day.

dallas killing the steelers the last 2 times they faced either on thanksgiving (92?) and opening day.

2nd year dan marion beating the steelers in the afcc game and leading the dolphins to his only sb at the expense of the team he shoulda been playing for.

and for the penguins probably the 5 period overtime game in 2000 and the subsequent loss of the series. as memorable and historic as it was, that was a rough game to watch.

Pupunu was a TE for the Bolts....He was left wide open and scored the go ahead TD in that game. If memory serves me correct it was Tim McKyer responsible for the blown coverage....

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Pupunu was a TE for the Bolts....He was left wide open and scored the go ahead TD in that game. If memory serves me correct it was Tim McKyer responsible for the blown coverage....thats right! im trying to remember the lb(?) on foster who swatted away that final pass. :dang: i cant remember who was on pupunu, but im pretty sure it was mckyer who blew the sideline coverage on that long pass from humphrees late in the game. i still got that tape somewhere in the garage... havent watched it in over 10 years.

Mosca
06-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Some older ones:

Pitt going up 14-0 on Penn State and then losing 48-14.

Sherrill not having a backup QB ready in the '77 season, when Cavanaugh went down and we lost to a Notre Dame team we could have beaten. That probably cost the Panthers a second consecutive national championship season.

Watching Booth Lusteg (late '60s kicker for the Steelers) practicing field goals by kicking paper cups on the sidelines, and then converting 25% of his kicks.

Matty Alou dropping the "can of corn" in 1970 (the Bucs clinched the next day, though).

Bob Moose's wild pitch in the 9th inning of game 5 of the 1972 NLCS (Clemente's last game) that sent the Reds to the series.

The drug scandal Pirates team of the early '80s: Dale Berra, Rod Scurry, Jason Thompson, Lee Lacy, Dave Parker, et al. Those guys were talented enough to have a dynasty, and blew it all up their noses. That probably cost Parker the HOF.

There, there's some Pittsburgh sports history crow to chew on!

Tom

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Watching Booth Lusteg (late '60s kicker for the Steelers) practicing field goals by kicking paper cups on the sidelines, and then converting 25% of his kicks.

The drug scandal Pirates team of the early '80s: Dale Berra, Rod Scurry, Jason Thompson, Lee Lacy, Dave Parker, et al. Those guys were talented enough to have a dynasty, and blew it all up their noses. That probably cost Parker the HOF.

There, there's some Pittsburgh sports history crow to chew on!

Tomwow. those early 80's pirate's are what i grew up loving (at the time i thought madlock and parker were the greatest until i learned of reggie jackson). i heard about dale berra but didnt know it was that bad. i still have my stack of baseball cards i took to the park, with autographs of berra and thompson, to go along with those of teckulve, hebner, pena, madlock, candelaria, rhoden and even tanner. i still got the crappy photo i took of berra on the scoreboard along with his stats when it was his turn to bat. (this is back when even kids could opperate an I-10 camera).

thats pretty funny about watching the steelers kicker practice on paper cups.... almost humiliating.

revefsreleets
06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Ben throwing away an AFCG was one thing, since he was a rook and it was surprising that we got as far as we did, but O'Donnell was the worst. The guy only threw a few picks all year then disintegrates in the Super Bowl? Kordell's INT clinic against the Bronco's was almost as bad because he played well all that year, but, deep down, we all kind of secretly knew he was going to crumble sooner or later.

Buzz05
06-12-2007, 07:50 AM
94' AFC Title game

2001 AFC Title game

2004 AFC Title game

1997 AFC Title game

2002 Playoffs againsts the Titans....roughing the kicker my butt

Penn State 2005 against Michigan...the Big Screw in the Big House

Penn State 2001 against Iowa...when Joe Pa chased the refs through the tunnel

2001 Pens against the Flyers

Super Bowl XXX

Any time the Pirates take the field