PDA

View Full Version : Steelers staying patient with Timmons

83-Steelers-43
06-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Steelers staying patient with Timmons

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, June 9, 2007

Other than rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons' groin injury, things could be a lot worse for the Steelers.

Timmons, the team's first-round draft pick, has been sidelined since May 11, missing a total of 14 practices.

But he's on the mend and looking good compared with New Orleans Saints first-round pick Robert Meachem, who underwent arthroscopic surgery this week to repair a pre-existing knee injury from college that will sideline him four-to-six weeks.

Timmons didn't miss a game at Florida State because injuries, making what happened last month in his first official Steelers workout unusual, to say the least. There was no contact on the play, nor was Timmons running at full speed.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin attributed the same-day injuries to Timmons and fellow rookie linebacker LaMarr Woodley as a case of boys will be boys, newcomers eager to make an impression.

Woodley is back on the field, but no such luck for Timmons, who continues to watch and wait.

Just how long, no one knows.

Since Tomlin's initial comments, the Steelers haven't addressed the depth or severity of Timmons' injury, adding to the mystery.

I'll bet Timmons skips the rest of the voluntary workouts before training camp starts next month. After taking so many precautions to this point, why risk aggravating the injury?

"I just tell him not to worry about anything right now. You don't want to rush yourself and make it that much more serious of an injury," said cornerback Bryant McFadden, who was a senior when Timmons was a freshman at Florida State.

McFadden tore his groin during college, tried to play through it and further injured it. He said he couldn't run for six weeks.

Safety Ryan Clark missed three games last season with a groin injury.

After Washington Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss sustained a groin injury recently during voluntary workouts, coach Joe Gibbs told reporters it's important that his players train properly.

"Between OTAs and training camp, we need to make sure that their running program includes running routes, jerking for a ball and making good, quick cuts," Gibbs said.

When told of Timmons' injury, Malachy McHugh, director of research for the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, recommended that the Steelers continue to show patience.

"He'll be able to jog forward, and he may be able to sprint forward," McHugh said of Timmons. "But it's when he has to change direction, that's when he's going to stretch those muscles

McHugh was part of a study several years ago involving the New York Islanders, hoping to determine whether hip muscle strength and flexibility play a role in hip flexor injuries.

"Typically, you need to make sure the muscles on the inside of your leg (adductors) have enough strength to counterbalance the muscles on the outside of your leg (abductors)," McHugh said. "(Timmons) probably would be better served doing some strengthening (exercises), so that it doesn't happen again."

Groin injuries in the NHL and NFL are common, McHugh said. Players in both leagues do a lot of side-to-side movement.

Injuries can occur when players don't train properly.

Regarding the study, McHugh said, "We showed that muscle weakness in preseason (training) was a significant risk factor. Most hockey players have similar flexibility, but the strength above their adductors varies significantly from player to player."

Let's hope the Steelers take their time before turning Timmons loose.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_511768.html

verks36
06-08-2007, 11:12 PM
All we can do is wait for his injury to heal. There is no need to throw a rookie into camp when he has an injury. Lawernce will miss some time of the mini camps and possibly our first preseason game. But for sure before the season starts he will be 100% and should have some live reps in the last couple of preseason games.

Plus harrison is doing a fine job in his spot so it is good its not like we have another scrub filling his spot

tony hipchest
06-08-2007, 11:52 PM
"Typically, you need to make sure the muscles on the inside of your leg (adductors) have enough strength to counterbalance the muscles on the outside of your leg (abductors)," McHugh said. "(Timmons) probably would be better served doing some strengthening (exercises), so that it doesn't happen again."
this is great advice. some could spend all day in the weightroom ,working all the wrong muscles, and actually do more harm than good. im not saying timmons is a weightroom warrior, but i definitely understand polamalus unorthadox, yet sound workout regimen. im not gonna panick if our #1 pick isnt starting and ready to start 85% of the snaps. he isnt the key, especially if he continues to rip that groin.

ChronoCross
06-09-2007, 12:04 AM
haha.. he could always do kinkle exercises during the day.. :P

Galax Steeler
06-09-2007, 05:08 AM
Thats great knowing they don't want to rush him back like they did Big Ben last year.

Aussie_steeler
06-09-2007, 05:28 AM
We dont want another saga like Kendrell Bell missing games.

Keep him on ice until he is right to go.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Good to see they're keeping their patience.

one thing that scares me, he is missing a lot of practices. Hopefully things get settle down here soon and he is ready for Latrobe.

Atlanta Dan
06-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Rushing him back just runs the risk of having the injury slow him all year - Kendrell Bell's disappointing career is Exhibit A as to how that can turn out badly.

In addition to his 2002 high ankle sprain, Bell had the groin injury in 2004 - one reason I think Bell took so long to come back from the 2004 injury was that he did not trust the treatment and advice he received while being rushed back from the 2002 high ankle sprain.

Injuries happen, but this article also refers to conditioning being an issue in minimizing their occurrence - I am still troubled by the pre-draft chatter that Timmons was out of shape.

Tomlin may see what nobody else does, but something caused Tomlin to become infatuated with this guy and see something tremendous that other teams apparently did not see.

Just need to wait.

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Agreed with everyone that its nice to see the Steelers will wait his injury out. Its not like we don't another quality LB this year. We still have Harrison.

GhostHarvest
07-01-2007, 07:06 PM
How many people think Timmons will become a starter at some point this season?
I think Timmons has the talent to play in the NFL, but I would have drafted Anthony Spencer (Purdue) or Paul Posluszny (Penn State) to pair with LaMarr Woodley.

verks36
07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I think Timmons has the talent to play in the NFL, but I would have drafted Anthony Spencer (Purdue) or Paul Posluszny (Penn State) to pair with LaMarr Woodley.

I dont think he is the starter for this season

JAmes Harrison is going to have the starting job and will do a dam good job at it to. Just becuase he is the steelers first round pick he isnt going to be handed the starting job. Harrison is a great young player on the rise

The Duke
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Timmons won't start, but he'll definitely play and will have an impact on the team, and so will Woodley.

SteelersMongol
07-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Just like how we stood with Holmes last year. I'm sure it'll pay off.

tony hipchest
07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
I think Timmons has the talent to play in the NFL, but I would have drafted Anthony Spencer (Purdue) or Paul Posluszny (Penn State) to pair with LaMarr Woodley.i think timmons will always be compared to players like the 2 you mentionned. still, had we passed on him, its likely timmons still woulda been drafted before either of the 2.

i dont think he was picked to fill an immediate need. harrison should be able to hold down the fort but players such as timmons and woodley could be great rookie situational players. i just hope on the same level as 2nd round kendrell bell was.

SteelersMongol
07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
i think timmons will always be compared to players like the 2 you mentionned. still, had we passed on him, its likely timmons still woulda been drafted before either of the 2.

i dont think he was picked to fill an immediate need. harrison should be able to hold down the fort but players such as timmons and woodley could be great rookie situational players. i just hope on the same level as 2nd round kendrell bell was.

Tony you just made me realize that how I'm so excited to see the games of 2007. :bouncy: I'd be able to watch only two games on TV here in Mongolia, but still. :computer:

C-BusSteeler
07-01-2007, 11:31 PM
hopefully he wont "duece it up" on the sidelines this year

The Duke
07-02-2007, 12:09 AM
hopefully he wont "duece it up" on the sidelines this year

lol :sofunny:

Elvis
07-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Will he make an immediate impact on our team this season? Alot depends on how early he gets signed. If he misses anytime at all... probably Not. If we can get him signed and in training camp then he should be fine. I just dont really see him starting this year though, unless Harrison just drops off the radar. Of course with the Steelers drafting OLB's in the first 2 rounds of the draft, it makes me wonder Really.. how do they feel about Harrison taking over for Porter.?