PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane - NFL Football Yearbook 1992

Aussie_steeler
06-09-2007, 05:06 AM
NFL Football Yearbook 1992

AFC Central 3rd Ranked Pittsburgh Steelers

The last time the Pittsburgh steelers began a season with a rookie head coach, bell bottomed pants were in, the Vietnam War was raging, Ed Sullivan dominated television, and Watergate was just another hotel in Washington D.C. It was 1969, and Bill Cowher was a 12 yr old sixth grader in the Carfton area west of Pittsburgh.

Some 23 years, five president, and four super bowls championships later, Cowher returns to Pittsburgh to succeed Chuck Noll as Steelers head coach. Noll, whose 209 career victories ranked fifth in NFL history, retired December 26, 1991, after his 23rd season as Steelers coach. He joins former players Donnie Shell and John Stallworth as Potential Hall-of-Famers in 1993. And while the Iron Curtain has fallen since Cowher?s day in the city, Cowher?s main focus will be to rebuild the Steel Curtain, which also has fallen since the Steelers? heyday in the 1970?s.

?The task at hand is clear and simple.? Says the 35 year old Cowher, who becomes the 15th Head coach in the Steelers?s 60 year history. ?What we must do is take the credibility and stability of the front office and the wealth of young, improving players, and we are going to unite that through commitment, through dedication, and through a great work ethic. We will bring the pride and tradition that has long been associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers and, more importantly, the people of Pittsburgh.?

It wont be easy, however. The Steelers finished second in the mediocre AFC Central division with a 7-9 record and missed the playoffs for the sixth time in the last seven seasons, and everyone shared in the blame. While the offence continued to struggle under now deposed offensive co-ordinator Joe Walton, the defence ranked No. 1 in the NFL in 1990, flattered miserably. Using virtually the same lineup, the Steelers slipped to 22nd in the NFL, including 11th against the rush and 26th against the pass. The 1991 Steelers defence allowed more touchdown passes (21 compared to 9) and forced fewer turnovers (42 compared to 30) than its 1990 counterpart. And while the Steelers recorded four more sacks, the two sack leaders were linebackers Jerrol Williams and Greg Lloyd; the defensive line had just 15 sacks.

Cowher promised that new defensive co-ordinator Dom Capers will be making defensive calls, but Cowher will be very much involved in that side of the football. He refuses to commit either the 3-4 or 4-3 alignment but admits his linebackers make his team better suited to play the 3-4.

?My philosophy is that if you have talent you adopt a system that will best utilise talent,? says Cowher, a former Browns assistant who spent three years as the defensive co-ordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs. ?What we will do is take the talents of the players on this team and adopt a system that best puts them in a position to succeed.?

Original text from ?NFL Football Yearbook 1992?
__________________________________________________ ____________________

__________________________________________________ _____________________

In 1992 I was first introduced to the beauty of the Pittsburgh Steelers. It was 11.00pm on 28th October on a Wednesday night. I enjoyed a delayed telecast in Australia of the Steelers game at Arrowhead Stadium in K.C.

I was taken in by the majestic Rod Woodson on defence and kick returns, Barry Foster pounding the ball behind a powerful offensive line. I fell in love that night with a new code of football, alien to most Australians. I was most impressed by the physical nature, of the team in black helmets, on both sides of the ball.

Soon after that I purchased my first NFL yearbook. I flicked through it studying all the teams and nothing that I saw could turn me away from my new found team, The Pittsburgh Steelers. This trend occurred each year laying my hands on whatever NFL magazines made their way down under. (Usually Lindy?s yearbooks)

Just yesterday I found this yearbook again and started reading for old time sake.

How amazing is it to find some incredible similarities with the start to this new season. Here are a few that I can see.

1. New young and relatively inexperienced coach.
2. Credibility and stability of the front office
3. Potential switch to a new defensive scheme based on talent available.
4. Change in draft philosophy (in 1992 Leon Searcy was drafted against previous
trends, this time around in 2007 linebackers Defensive ends are taken in the
first and second round)
5. New team philosophy ?Unite through commitment, dedication and a great work
ethic.?
6. New coaching staff that have had experience with division rivals

I have been lucky enough to support a franchise that has experienced a great amount of success in the regular season and playoffs. Fortunately, I have not been subjected to the long absences from the playoffs as seen in the years prior to Cowhers hiring. I hope I never have to live through those lows.

I have a strong feeling of dejavu after reading this article. I hope that in 15 years time I will be able to look back at the emerging stars at the beginning of the Tomlin era much in the same way as I do of those stars who emerged from the first year squad of the fledgling Cowher era. ( Woodson, Lloyd, Dawson, Steed, Lake, Nickerson, Kirkland, Green)

I hope that this article brings back some fond memories and invokes a strong sense of excitement looking forward to our future under Mike Tomlin.

This is my first major post as a relatively new member to this forum. I have taken up the challenge given by wedosesteelers and invested some time to go back over the proud history of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

I hope this thread is of some value to the diehards of this forum who hold far more knowledge than I, of this great game.

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 05:44 PM
This is my first major post as a relatively new member to this forum. I have taken up the challenge given by wedosesteelers and invested some time to go back over the proud history of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

I hope this thread is of some value to the diehards of this forum who hold far more knowledge than I, of this great game. this was a great post, not only for the cool 92 article that i have never read and the perfect parallels you draw from the "then" and "now", but moreso for the description of how a non american became a fan of the steelers. while we have easy access to our teams, all the foreign fans have to scratch, claw, and work their way for simple coverage and information. proof that youre a great fan, and this definitely was a great contribution to the board :cheers:

its post like these that draw me to this board and make me regret no longer having a ton of rep points to hand out.

Livinginthe past
06-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Great job Aussie...ya mongrel :wink02:

Informative post with some great 'original thought' aswell :cheers: <Tooheys New?

Post more.

Thats an order.

PisnNapalm
06-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Aussie... That's one of the best posts I've read in a long time. +1 rep to you man.

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Great post Aussie, loved it. :tt02::tt02:

Aussie_steeler
06-10-2007, 07:57 AM
I am honoured to draw praise from 3 members whose posts I look forward to reading each night.

Thanks Tony Hipchest and PisNapalm. Appreciate the support.

To Livinginthe past lets hope Tomlin doesnt make the same mistake as Cowher and let a DE / Outside Linebacker convert waste on the bench and then let him run off to the pats to help you out. I still hurt when I see Vrabel in a pats uniform. We dont need to offer free gifts to the Pats ever again.

NCsteeler and Steelers123 - thanks as well.

Hopefully I can dig up a few more gems for you all.

Livinginthe past
06-10-2007, 08:25 AM
To Livinginthe past lets hope Tomlin doesnt make the same mistake as Cowher and let a DE / Outside Linebacker convert waste on the bench and then let him run off to the pats to help you out. I still hurt when I see Vrabel in a pats uniform. We dont need to offer free gifts to the Pats ever again.

As far as a I remember the Steelers happened to be loaded at the OLB position at the time Vrabel was a Steeler - its amazing to think Mike was actually considering retirement before signing with the Patriots.

I have to presume that the Steelers must have made it clear that he would nevere be more than a back-up after featuring in only 15 games during 4 years in Pittsburgh.

I think its his experience in Pittsburgh that has kept him itching to play football, and accept contracts from the Patriots (he represents himself in negotiations I believe) that would be way below what he would get on the open market.

Aussie_steeler
06-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Didnt know he was considering retirement before the switch.

Thanks for the interesting insight - cheers Tooheys Extra Dry back at ya