PDA

View Full Version : What the Steelers need to do to make the playoffs

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 11:13 AM
So what do you think the Steelers need to do to make the playoffs this year? I'll put down 3 things the Steelers need to do but I'm sure there are many more.

1: Ben NEEDS to stay healthy, when the Steelers have him as QB and he's healthy they are a different team. Last season in the last 8 games Ben was healthy and the Steelers went 6-2. Coincedence? I think not.

2: Beat the Ravens atleast once. The division leaders need to go down espcially when they gave us an ass whooping last year.

3: The Steelers need to start out 5-0 or 4-1. A fast start could get this team's morale up. They can defiantly do that with the first 5 games being teams that the Steelers should beat.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 11:23 AM
So what do you think the Steelers need to do to make the playoffs this year? I'll put down 3 things the Steelers need to do but I'm sure there are many more.

1: Ben NEEDS to stay healthy, when the Steelers have him as QB and he's healthy they are a different team. Last season in the last 8 games Ben was healthy and the Steelers went 6-2. Coincedence? I think not.

2: Beat the Ravens atleast once. The division leaders need to go down espcially when they gave us an ass whooping last year.

3: The Steelers need to start out 5-0 or 4-1. A fast start could get this team's morale up. They can defiantly do that with the first 5 games being teams that the Steelers should beat.

Yes those are 3 big keys.

I'd like to add another one.

4. Big Ben and Coach Tomlin need to be on the same page. I feel he(ben) lacked communication with Cowher last year.

ChronoCross
06-09-2007, 12:14 PM
5. Big T needs to put the hunger and fire back in the guys. Which we dearly missed last season.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Yes Big Ben being healthy and on top of his game is the key to the Steelers season....I would say improvement from the Oline is huge to....

But really just cut down on the turn overs and improve the special teams....Then the Steelers will be a play-off team...Even with Ben battling injuries and the Oline in decline last year if the Steelers hadn't turned the ball over so much and the special teams didn't suck as bad then the Steelers would have made the play-offs....

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes Big Ben being healthy and on top of his game is the key to the Steelers season....I would say improvement from the Oline is huge to....

But really just cut down on the turn overs and improve the special teams....Then the Steelers will be a play-off team...Even with Ben battling injuries and the Oline in decline last year if the Steelers hadn't turned the ball over so much and the special teams didn't suck as bad then the Steelers would have made the play-offs....

Or win one of those stupid losses they had last year. Ahh last year frustrates me so badly.

Big7BenHOF
06-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Beat teams as bad as the Raiders.

yinzer-inseattle
06-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I would also add that they need to go 4-2 (3-3 min) in the AFC North; with as previously mentioned one of those wins ideally coming against Balt. With the strength of some other teams in the conference (Bolts, Pats, Indy, Denver) we will need to be successful in our own division to make the playoffs.

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I will also add give the ball to Willie more. The Steelers are 12-1 when Willie Parker goes over 100 yards rushing.

The Duke
06-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I will also add give the ball to Willie more. The Steelers are 12-1 when Willie Parker goes over 100 yards rushing.

If that's true it's really good, but also means o line has to step up and do better than last season.
Turnovers seems to be the key, if we minimize the turnovers and our pass defense works at least a little better than last season we'll be in the playoffs.

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 01:31 PM
If that's true it's really good, but also means o line has to step up and do better than last season.
Turnovers seems to be the key, if we minimize the turnovers and our pass defense works at least a little better than last season we'll be in the playoffs.

Got that stat right of out Street & Smith's preseason magazine. I was shocked at that stat.

PalmerSteel
06-09-2007, 01:31 PM
dont beat themselves with very stupid and correctable turnovers. that costed us at least 3 games last year.

19ward86
06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
i think ben needs to have a probowl season for us to be able to make it to the playoffs, our o-line is getting really young. running back depth isnt deep with skill(willie is awesome, najeh is a black dan kreider, haynes is a 50-80 carrie type of guy. and......that is all. ben needs to carry the team at least on the offensive side of the ball. polamalu needs to be signed for a long term contract. and then we need to prey.sorry guys that it took so much to say and i hope i didnt lower your moral but i think the team is average right now until i see some improvements.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 03:10 PM

That will surely help us. Also lead by 11 at some point. We almost never lose.

paw-n-maul-u
06-09-2007, 03:26 PM
i think ben needs to have a probowl season for us to be able to make it to the playoffs, our o-line is getting really young. running back depth isnt deep with skill(willie is awesome, najeh is a black dan kreider, haynes is a 50-80 carrie type of guy. and......that is all. ben needs to carry the team at least on the offensive side of the ball. polamalu needs to be signed for a long term contract. and then we need to prey.sorry guys that it took so much to say and i hope i didnt lower your moral but i think the team is average right now until i see some improvements.

huh? I honestly don't even think Haynes will see any action this year. Did you forget about Kevin Barlow? He and Najeh will most likely split goal line/3rd down back duties. If anything I think that RB depth is one of the strong positions on the team.

We have a ProBowl RB and two very solid backups with good experience. Would I feel a bit uneasy if Parker went down for an extended amount of time? Sure, I would. But then again what fan wouldn't?

I think ben needs to bounce back ... and if he gets to his old form you can pretty much pencil us into the playoffs.

I mean really, we were about a handful of plays (collectively) away from the playoffs last year. a muffed punt here ... ward trying some diving acrobatic flip into the EZ and fumbled ... bens two pick-sixes in the raiders game. Oak,SD,first Cincy game ... gahhhh ...

ChronoCross
06-09-2007, 05:25 PM
huh? I honestly don't even think Haynes will see any action this year. Did you forget about Kevin Barlow? He and Najeh will most likely split goal line/3rd down back duties. If anything I think that RB depth is one of the strong positions on the team.

I forgot about barlow. If he makes the team it will be a miracle. He could not out run a old lady with a walker when he came into camps.

http://www.jackhodgson.com/weblog/img/2003/old_lady.jpg

GeneralRobinson
06-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Improve their 3rd down defense.

Edman
06-09-2007, 07:58 PM
-Improve 3rd Down Defense
-Compile a nice record against the division. 4-2 to 6-0 is nice
-Limit the Stupid Turnovers
-Beat the Ravens and Bengals, whoop on the Clowns again
-Fix the O-Line
-Big Ben has to step up his game

If the Steelers ever wish to consider contending for the Super Bowl, they need to get out of their own division. And that means beating the man in the AFC North, the Ravens. They demolished us so bad last year it wasn't even close. Time for the Steelers to stick it to them.

vader29
06-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Get off to a fast start, keep Ben healthy all season and Ike Taylor needs to step up and play like the Ike Taylor from the Super Bowl season.

TackleMeBen
06-09-2007, 08:42 PM
get an offensive line that can keep ben upright for more than a split second

siss
06-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Or win one of those stupid losses they had last year. Ahh last year frustrates me so badly.

Its okay its over now...

We have a new coach and Ben is all healed up, pissed off and ready to go...just the way we like him!

siss
06-10-2007, 01:53 PM

We have a ProBowl RB and two very solid backups with good experience. Would I feel a bit uneasy if Parker went down for an extended amount of time? Sure, I would. But then again what fan wouldn't?

I think ben needs to bounce back ... and if he gets to his old form you can pretty much pencil us into the playoffs.

I mean really, we were about a handful of plays (collectively) away from the playoffs last year. a muffed punt here ... ward trying some diving acrobatic flip into the EZ and fumbled ... bens two pick-sixes in the raiders game. Oak,SD,first Cincy game ... gahhhh ...

Stoppp!

Your bring back bad memories!

ChronoCross
06-10-2007, 03:40 PM
We fix this we fix half the problems;

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/NFL%202006/Steelers_Ravens.jpg

IamTheSteelGod
06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
We need to fix our Oline (sign Faneca and slap Essex, with a rattle snake) and our C.B.'s ( Townsend is in my opinion cack, and Taylor just needs sorting out, and McFadden needs more game time, but i like him) I thinks thats where we struggle most. We deffo should have drafted a good C.B. and god knows why we signed Barlow, that Kuhn looked promesing last year, and Davenport is more than a good enough backup.

The Duke
06-10-2007, 05:50 PM
We fix this we fix half the problems;

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/NFL%202006/Steelers_Ravens.jpg

:banging:
It's true, we fix that and then Ben has time to throw and doesn't throw constant interceptions for being under pressure

polamalu3000
06-28-2007, 10:06 AM
yeah our line deffinately was good at run-blocking last season because willie ran for over 220 yards rushing in 3 games and i dont believe he went below 90 yards at all. pass blocking thats a different story. poor ben got creamed tons last year and ben (who is one of the toughest guys i have seen) gets back up and takes another hard shot, pass blocking needs to be addressed this year. in my opinion pass blocking is easier than run blocking since i play offensive line for my high school team so it shouldnt be that hard for them to pass block.

fansince'76
06-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Win at least 11 games. Will we do it? Not sure, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Hell, we gift wrapped and gave away at least 4 games last season.

Newzfoxjr
06-28-2007, 10:52 AM
One play going postitive instead of negative could've gotten us to the playoffs last year...I mean seriously. If Ben throws a TD instead of an INT in that Raiders game, we would've won, if my memory serves right...

The talent is there. We just need to capitalize on it.

ben2hines=6
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
NO MORE TAUNTING PENALTIES!!!!

Elvis
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I agree with the turnovers have to be cutdown this season or last season will be ours again. I dont see it happening this year though. I think that Tomlin will give this team the shot of courage that they need. Our O line and secondary and who replaces Joey Porter is our main questions going into training camp.. so steelreserve.. do you think that Charlie Batch should be our starter? I dont think so.. yeh.. he filled in.. he is not our fuure...
:tt02:

Smashmouth225
06-28-2007, 05:02 PM
1.Play with a sense of urgency early in the season.
2. Get Heath Miller involved early and often. The guy has got Pro Bowl potential starting using him more.
3. Throw Willie the ball out of the back field more or to any of the RB's in the flat. This will definitely help Ben out. Actually #'s 2-3 would help Ben out if he uses these 2 properly.
4. Become less predictable on offense. Let's come out some games 3 and 4 WR's set. It kills me when taems like the Colts and Chargers make it look so easy when it comes down to beating the Ravens.

Elvis
07-01-2007, 06:31 AM
As I am sitting here watching the 2nd half of Super Bowl XL, I was just thinking...Now, honestly, what will it take for us Steelers to win another Super Bowl this year? Cant do what Big Ben just did "throwing that interception to Herndon at the 5 yard line when we were already up 14-3 and fixing to put the game away.
My list of things to do looks like this.
1. Big Ben: must come back from last years disaster start. He is healthy this year and its time for him to prove that Super Bowl XL performance of his was not the real Ben.
2. Fast Willie: Should have a big year if he doesnt experience injuries or some major catastrophe with this years team.
3. Our O Line must improve over last years unit. Was this just that they got the big head and thought that they were that much better than anyone else or was it the coaching?... I doubt if it was the coaching myself, these guys just let all the hoopla of having their own comercials and all... and forgot to practice and study film the way they should have.
4. Our defensive secondary: Can Ike Taylor and co. get things back in order? Is Anthony Smith really our answer at FS? Will Troy have another concusssion that might end his career? Can we find a replacement for Joey Porter? Can Brett Keisel play LB?
5. Have we found a Punter that can help our defense out?
Alright everyone ... have fun... and lets hear you guys/gals opinions....
:tt02:

The Duke
07-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Cut turnovers at least in half would be an enormous help.

Crushzilla
07-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Cut turnovers at least in half would be an enormous help.

Aye. Its hard to anticipate that we won't throw any games away, but they have to be minimized if you want to be a championship caliber team.

Its been said a million times, but Oakland, Cincinnati, Denver alone should have gone to us. Those efforts alone would have put us in the playoffs.

An efficient QB + Respectable defense = playoffs for the 2007 Black and Gold

steelersfanman92
07-01-2007, 01:27 PM
If they can just clean themselves up they will do well. It is not like the Steelers are a bad team they just need to cut down turnovers and just polish up on D.

wharalson
07-01-2007, 01:40 PM
that,s a good quetions duke I feel we need to get more recievers and build the offense line to give ben a little more protection and tighten up on defense we had a terrible season in 06 go back to steeler football trick plays that bend but don't break attitude i can't wait to see whats in store for my beloved steelers I am sick and tried of watching tennis and golf.will the waterboy from j-ville fl

paw-n-maul-u
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
this thread sounds a lot like the thread "What will the steelers need to do to get back to the playoffs" thread. that covers pretty much the exact same topics.

tony hipchest
07-01-2007, 02:43 PM
this thread sounds a lot like the thread "What will the steelers need to do to get back to the playoffs" thread. that covers pretty much the exact same topics.yep. just about a spittin image:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17251

rich4eagle
07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
5. Big T needs to put the hunger and fire back in the guys. Which we dearly missed last season.

yes sir Bill Cowher was on vacation all year......why who knows..........Tomlin appears to have the right stuff and Ben needs to be healthy..........and wala playoffs

suprasad
07-01-2007, 03:34 PM
1. The OL has to get back to late-2005 form. Ben won't get a chance to show last year was a fluke if he's running for his life all game. Think about how many more yards Willie can get w/solid OL play...

2. The pass rush needs to improve. The media line is to talk about how bad Ike was last year. Well, the best CB will get toasted if there's no pass rush. Pash rush and pass coverage depend upon each other, and upon the players to do their job. The pass rushers did not do that last year...

3. Stay healthy. Troy was a shell of his usual self last year, as was Hartings.

4. Cut down the TURNOVERS!

If they do these things, then the only team that can stop the Steelers is the Steelers.