PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Bengals more highly regarded than the Steelers?

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
As I have looked at preseason mags all of them pick the Steelers to be 3rd behind the Ravens and the Bengals. I can understand the Ravens, but the Bengals I cannot.

First off the Bengals had the same record last year as the Steelers and have had so many arrests and probably more to come. The Bengals defense isn't all too special while the Steelers defense is very good. I can't stand the fascination of Carson Palmer. Many have him above Ben but Ben has been in more playoff appearences and a Super Bowl ring. Ben had one bad year because of unfortuante circumstances.

The Steelers missed the playoffs last year because of stupid mistakes, Ben with all the crap happened to him, and Cowher not having as much as passion and will to win has he had before. The Bengals missed the playoffs because they didn't perform as well as they usually had.

I can understand why people think the Steelers will miss the playoffs this year, but to put the Bengals over the Steelers, IMO is wrong.

Anyone else feel this way?

The Duke
06-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't understand it either. their defense sucks, they have good receivers and a good QB, but that's it, that's not a better team than the steelers. But we'll shut up everyone that puts us behind them by winning the AFC North.

ChronoCross
06-09-2007, 01:25 PM
I would not pay to much attention to it. Most are looking at the overhaul were going threw. Some look at the problems we had this last season and with the new coaches can we bounce back strong. So they play it safe with who they pick to finish were. Which keeps us under the radar to knock the Bengals out again. Ravens do not bother me and if we fix are O line, and Big Ben returns to form we will win both games easily. We can easily win the division if the pieces of the puzzle are put together right.

yinzer-inseattle
06-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't think this way, but maybe just maybe on PAPER the Bengals appear to have more big play makers in key skill positions mainly these three on offense

Carson vs Ben
Chad vs Hines
TJ vs Santonio

I think most would give the Steelers the edge on defense as a unit, but the perceived weakness of the Steelers (at the CB position) plays right into the hands of the Cincy strength (passing attack) which ON PAPER gives Cincy the slight edge.

The reality of this is that the Steelers need to and will put more pressure on the QB from the front seven alieviating the pressure on the CBs to be the primary force against the Cincy passing attack. This will diminsh the effectiveness of Carson et al pushing Cincy to rely more on the run. Good luck with that. Rudi is a good back but he's had limited to no success against the Steelers.

I agree with you that the assessment of the Bengals is inflated. If the Steelers improve in the areas they've targeted on defense, this should be the year we put the Bengals back in their rightful place (behind us).

CantStop85
06-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Here are just a few thoughts:

The Bengals are sexier (high-powered offense)
The Bengals have a pro bowl QB
The Steelers QB struggled greatly last season
The Steelers are going through a lot of coaching changes and adjustments
The Steelers lost their franchise player on defense

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 02:05 PM
carson is regerded as brady or manning. unfortunately him and chad are a 2 man show and they cant overcome the crappy coaching or the fact that they play for the most bungled owners in football. how the hell else can the "manning like" palmer have record only 3 games above .500.

these prognosticators dont realize that not even brady could save the bungles, even theyre married to the idea that palmer will.

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 02:07 PM

I have 3 arguements on that.

1. Ben's unfortuante circumstances last year: motorcycle accident, apadectamy, 2 concussions. Take those away and Ben is his old self.

2. Yes they are going through coaching changes, but I and many others have faith in the Steelers organzation with the hiring of the 2 other head coaches the Steelers had.

3. Trust me we have other franchise players on this defense. Casey Hampton, and Troy Polalmalu for example.

Crushzilla
06-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Hit it right on the head, CantStop.

Especially the first one. Those things mean nothing. Everyone who picks up one of those magazines has a gripe about something. Fans know. A few words on paper quickly disappear on the first snap of the season.

HometownGal
06-09-2007, 02:27 PM
The Bengals missed the playoffs because they didn't perform as well as they usually had.

No - the Bungles missed the playoffs last year because they proved what most of us already know...........

You can't put silk socks on a hog. Pro Bowl QB or not - same old Bungles.

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 02:28 PM
good points. the media buys into all this hype:

*what does a high powered offense have to do with a team game? the rams had a high powered offense but the patriots beat them. the cardinals have a high powered offense. it simply doesnt make a team better. the media ignores history though.

*brett farve is a pro bowl, all pro, 3Xmvp, superbowl winning qb. nobodys saying about green bay, what is constantly said about the unproven bungles. the media does buy into carsons pro bowl mvp trophy.

*dont bunglefans and the media blame carsons struggles on his knee? :hunch: shit happens. the media also acts like ben is 37 years old and the team needs to replace someone who is clearly on their downside.

*bungles need to go through a bunch of coaching changes and adjustments. its no secret most bunglefans think breshnihan and bratkowski suck and couldnt coach their way out of a wet paper bag. with all the so called "talent" shouldnt they be 15-1 every season? the media looks past this because lewis is not mike shula.

*bungles lost their "franchise players" on defense. thurman, pollock, adams, james, simmons. i know, thats a sucky collection of defenders but it was the best they got. we lost our loudest and most outspoken member of the defens but anyone who knows the game knows our defense is built around hampton and polamalu. thats why hampton didnt even have to ask for a contract extension, he was just given one. since the media doesnt recognice anyone on the bengals defense who isnt above 375 pounds, they really have no one to lose.

HometownGal
06-09-2007, 02:40 PM
I felt this this thread could find a better home in the BF.

ChronoCross
06-09-2007, 02:43 PM
All I can say about the bengals is do not pick it up;

http://www.naughtypig.com.au/images/dropsoap.png

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I felt this this thread could find a better home in the BF.

Well I didn't know whether or not to put it in here or the Steelers main board. I thought I would put it in the Steelers main board because I wasn't really blasting the Bengals.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 03:00 PM

1. That Offense is a joke. Tell me who is the next guy to get arrested. (In addition, your offensive line could use some advice such as stay away from Joey)

2. I'd much rather have a Super Bowl winning Quarterback

3. The Steelers QB still has been in the championship game

4. Great, and you know what, this new coach is the same age as Cowher when he started coaching. History is going to repeat itself this year

5. The Steelers know when to get rid of players. Porter wasn't having a great year so they let him go.

stlrtruck
06-09-2007, 07:45 PM

Are you serious? Or did you just pull these things out of your arse?

While you have the potential for a high-powered offense, you have the reality of a team playing like they were in The Longest Yard auditions.

Your pro bowl QB has only gotten to the pro bowl. There is this other game called a SUPER BOWL that your QB has only sniffed out if he didn't scalp his tickets.

We went through the same coaching changes in 1992, I'm pretty certain we were still able to keep the bungals at bay. With the change in location of training camp from Kentucky to penitentiary, it seems the bungals are having some changes and adjustments to deal with.

We've lost key players in the last 15 years. You may have heard of them Hardy Nickerson, Green, Lloyd, Kirkland, Brown, Woodson, Lake, O'Donnell, Bam Morris, Foster, Bell, and so on and so on. But what's amazing is that unlike other rivals in the AFCN we seem to find that one person determined to over fill the void, not just fill a roster spot!

As for the media's current love fest with Carson Palmer and the ankle bracelet wearing bungals, it will only be another few minutes before their 15 minutes of fame are over and the people in cinci will once again be wondering, "When does baseball season start?"

stillers4me
06-09-2007, 07:53 PM
As for the media's current love fest with Carson Palmer and the ankle bracelet wearing bungals, it will only be another few minutes before their 15 minutes of fame are over and the people in cinci will once again be wondering, "When does baseball season start?"

Nobody in Cinci wants to talk about the Reds, either! :toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 08:01 PM

While you have the potential for a high-powered offense, you have the reality of a team playing like they were in The Longest Yard auditions.

Your pro bowl QB has only gotten to the pro bowl. There is this other game called a SUPER BOWL that your QB has only sniffed out if he didn't scalp his tickets.

We went through the same coaching changes in 1992, I'm pretty certain we were still able to keep the bungals at bay. With the change in location of training camp from Kentucky to penitentiary, it seems the bungals are having some changes and adjustments to deal with.

We've lost key players in the last 15 years. You may have heard of them Hardy Nickerson, Green, Lloyd, Kirkland, Brown, Woodson, Lake, O'Donnell, Bam Morris, Foster, Bell, and so on and so on. But what's amazing is that unlike other rivals in the AFCN we seem to find that one person determined to over fill the void, not just fill a roster spot!

That's just CS for ya.

MACH1
06-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Or a jail cell

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 08:23 PM
All I can say about the bengals is do not pick it up;

http://www.naughtypig.com.au/images/dropsoap.png:sofunny:
them 4 disgusting man feet are so nasty, i hereby nominate this for the innaugural "best posted picture in a thread award".

CantStop85
06-09-2007, 08:56 PM

*sigh*

I kinda figured that I should put a disclaimer that the points I made do not reflect my own opinions. These are simply the reasons that some media outlets regard the Bengals more highly than the Steelers (in my opinion). I'm not trying to blast the Steelers.

The reality is we're both rooting for 8-8 teams right now looking up at the Ravens.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 09:01 PM
*sigh*

I kinda figured that I should put a disclaimer that the points I made do not reflect my own opinions. These are simply the reasons that some media outlets regard the Bengals more highly than the Steelers (in my opinion). I'm not trying to blast the Steelers.

The reality is we're both rooting for 8-8 teams right now looking up at the Ravens.

And looking to take them down from their soap box.

tony hipchest
06-09-2007, 09:02 PM
*sigh*

The reality is we're both rooting for 8-8 teams right now looking up at the Ravens.i had a feeling you might get unnecessarilly poiled on for offering a few reasons why the media is still hopping on the bengals bandwagon. oh well, you tried, and i thought you hit all the reasons on the head.

stillers4me
06-09-2007, 09:14 PM

That's the difference between a Steeler fan and a Bengal fan. A Steeler fan always looks down at the Ravens.........once a Brown, always a Brown. A Steeler fan says we may have been 8-8 last year, but we're accustomed to much better so now we're movin' on to next season.........8-8 must sound pretty darn good to a Bengal fan. Hopefully, you can do that well next again year. And hopefully we can knock the Bengals out of the playoff run......again. Run, Santonio, run!

Should I stop now? :wink02:

stlrtruck
06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
*sigh*

Maybe you should've stopped at the first two about the high powered offense and your Pro Bowl MVP QB. And then I would have been more inclined to believe it was the media's reasoning for the lovefest with the bungals. However, the last 3 have nothing to do with the media's lovefest. I mean it ain't like the bungals have been choir boys the last two years.

And I didn't take your post as blasting the steelers, I just took the points past the first two as very weak points for slobbering over the jail ridden bungals.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 09:57 PM
That's the difference between a Steeler fan and a Bengal fan. A Steeler fan always looks down at the Ravens.........once a Brown, always a Brown. A Steeler fan says we may have been 8-8 last year, but we're accustomed to much better so now we're movin' on to next season.........8-8 must sound pretty darn good to a Bengal fan. Hopefully, you can do that well next again year. And hopefully we can knock the Bengals out of the playoff run......again. Run, Santonio, run!

No, keep going Stillers. It gets funnier every second. :sofunny:

Preacher
06-10-2007, 01:06 AM
"When does baseball season start?"

They haven't been asking that since the BIg Red Machine... Heck.. what professional sports team CAN CINCINATTI cheer for?

stlrtruck
06-10-2007, 01:18 AM
They haven't been asking that since the BIg Red Machine... Heck.. what professional sports team CAN CINCINATTI cheer for?

Does minor league count? They do have that hockey team

stillers4me
06-10-2007, 06:51 AM
I was listening to Andy Furman on the way home yesterday and he's really pushing for an NBA team. Maybe it would do as well as their cornhole team.

ShutDown24
06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I bought a few of those magazines last year to see if they were worth anything and they’re not. My writing and insight as an 18 year old is better than the crap in those articles and rankings. Most of them had the Bengles winning the division at 13-3 with the Steelers and Ravens tying for second at 11-5 last year... The biggest giveaway to how horrible those magazines are is this: ALMOST ALL OF THEM PICKED THE DOLPHINS TO WIN SUPERBOWL 41.

Other than those ranking magazines, ESPN and NFL Network still show much more respect for the Steelers organisation than the Bengals.

@CantStop85: :)

1. Your a cat; go on a cat board, and stop putting yourself in a STEEL cage here.

2. Carson 'I wish I was Arnold' Palmer and T.J. 'The racist' Houshmanzada finished with the same record as the Steelers, but were outclassed the whole way and at the end of the season the Black and Gold were still the better team. As always.

3. To quote you... "I'm not trying to blast the Steelers"... Your avatar is "Even god hates the Steelers"... So what ARE you trying to do? I know one thing; the Cincinnati police department sure doesn’t hate the Steelers because they don't have to arrest a player once per week... Then get accused of profiling by the teams head coach. The Bengals are a joke, always will be and would fit in better in LA were they should move... They would have better fans and a better market than they do in Shitinatti. Players are only as good as the coaches that coach them; therefore the Bengals are scared, whining, wannabes.

SteelCityMan786
06-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I was listening to Andy Furman on the way home yesterday and he's really pushing for an NBA team. Maybe it would do as well as their cornhole team.

I guess no one wants to pay the gas to go see a game in Cleveland knowing that another Cincinnati team means more arrests. :sofunny:

CantStop85
06-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I'm glad to see that a .500 season has you so excited...keep that head held up high.

Maybe you should've stopped at the first two about the high powered offense and your Pro Bowl MVP QB. And then I would have been more inclined to believe it was the media's reasoning for the lovefest with the bungals. However, the last 3 have nothing to do with the media's lovefest. I mean it ain't like the bungals have been choir boys the last two years.
You're taking me out of context, buddy. The question was why are the Bengals more highly regarded than the Steelers, not why is there a media lovefest for the Bengals. My first two points explained why the media might tend to lean towards the Bengals and the last three are why the media might shy away from the Steelers this season.

And I didn't take your post as blasting the steelers, I just took the points past the first two as very weak points for slobbering over the jail ridden bungals.
I don't get the whole media lovefest for the Bengals...what lovefest? So they have them ranked above the Steelers in power rankings, so what? I haven't seen any power rankings or predictions that have the Bengals ranked higher than 10th or finishing higher than 2nd in the AFC North. The only love the Bengals get is for Carson and Chad. Any other media attention is usually directed towards the Bengals character issues...and I've certainly seen a lot more bashing the Bengals about their legal troubles than slobbing of their knob for other reasons.

@CantStop85: :)

1. Your a cat; go on a cat board, and stop putting yourself in a STEEL cage here.
Sorry kid, this is my home. :thumbsup:

2. Carson 'I wish I was Arnold' Palmer and T.J. 'The racist' Houshmanzada finished with the same record as the Steelers, but were outclassed the whole way and at the end of the season the Black and Gold were still the better team. As always.
Yes, your 8-8 team was much better than my 8-8 team. You win. Congrats. :cheer:

3. To quote you... "I'm not trying to blast the Steelers"... Your avatar is "Even god hates the Steelers"... So what ARE you trying to do?
Yeah, I dislike the Steelers...but that doesn't mean I can't be level-headed and objective in a discussion about them.

LambertIsGod58
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
The Bungals, as a franchise, are not regarded higher than the Steelers. I don't even need to make that argument.

stlrtruck
06-10-2007, 05:45 PM
You're taking me out of context, buddy. The question was why are the Bengals more highly regarded than the Steelers, not why is there a media lovefest for the Bengals. My first two points explained why the media might tend to lean towards the Bengals and the last three are why the media might shy away from the Steelers this season.

I wasn't taking you out of context. When a team is more highly regarded in a pre-season magazine or in the newspapers or in general overall, I call it a media love fest. Again, the media now adays write what the vast majority of non NFL fans want to hear. And the way that ESPN makes Carson their 3rd poster boy (which may become 2nd depending on the Brady child situation), it's just proof that you don't need to prove yourself in the NFL, just talk a lot without doing anything.

But hey, I don't mind the Steelers being an underdog. It worked out for us before and I'm sure it will come back to bite the bungals in the arse again. What would that make it 3 years in a row once it happens this year?

ChronoCross
06-10-2007, 06:03 PM
As a franchise we far exceed any thing that the bengals have. Bengals can only dream about achieving what are franchise has.

As a fan base we more then triple of the bengals fanbase.

Media right now are just hype on the bengals because they are having a few good seasons but nothing to really talk about accept for how the Steelers have knocked them out of the playoffs and kept them out of the playoffs.

If Bengals had a real coaching staff who could put together a decent defense and sts they would have a far better shot of making it and something to talk about.

revefsreleets
06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I think this is more of a statement on the Steelers perceived weakness then the Bengals greatness. It's a safe pick to bet against the Steelers because of the upheaval in the coaching staff, and forecasters always take the safe bet. They are simply saying that the Bengals will suck less then the Steelers, and I think there is a lot of monkey see, monkey do among these guys, too. Remember when everyone jumped on the cardinals bandwagon a couple years ago? Why? On paper, they were only a little better than the year before.

Stlrs4Life
06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't care what media outlet has us finishing in. They don't play in the games.

Titans666
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't care what media outlet has us finishing in. We play the game, they don't.

Wow really, what position are you?

HometownGal
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM

I know what position you are going to be in if you don't knock off the nonsense. You know what he meant.

If you came here just to flame our members, take a hike. If you came here to talk football, no matter which team you back, that's all fine and dandy - do so.

tony hipchest
06-12-2007, 11:47 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/ono_whap.gif

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/youathingofthepastiya5.jpg

:chuckle:

Preacher
06-12-2007, 11:51 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/ono_whap.gif

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/youathingofthepastiya5.jpg

:chuckle:

:sofunny: Gotta love it!

Stlrs4Life
06-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Me? None. But know what position your boys are in at the local prison.

Stoolers, how's it feel to get bitchslapped by a girl?:flap:

FastWillieParker39
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
As I read many preview magazines and sites I always see they predict the Bengals over the Steelers in the standings. I've also seen many fans do that as well. My question is why?

The Bengals have a very good offense, I'll definitly give them that but have a horrible defense. As the saying goes "Defense wins you championships" not offenses. The Bengals have lost more than won games with there offense being so good but there defense being so bad. Add to the fact they probably have had more arrests than wins this offseason. So many distractions.

The Steelers on the other hand should have a better offense this year with Ben healthy and passing more. Look at what Ben had to go through last year......near death motorcycle accident, apadectmy, and 2 concussions. With no distractions this year, Ben should be his old self. The WR's are very underrated, Parker is a Pro Bowler and Ben like I said before is healthy and should be better this year. The defense is always top 10, that will never change. This year they will have a coach who IMO, is the black version of Bill Cowher. The guy is a winner and is commited to getting the Steelers back to the playoffs. Last year Cowher was TOTTALLY different. He didn't have that passion to win like I've always saw. It was definitly noticeable that he wasn't himself.

Add to the fact that the Steelers and the Bengals both have had the same records the past 2 years. When it comes down to pressure situations and big games, the Steelers usually win against the Bengals. Take last year's last game where the Bengals NEEDED a win to make the playoffs. The Steelers were out of the playoff race by then. What happens? The Steelers win in OT.

Plus the Steelers have a better history of making the playoffs than the Bengals. How many times have the Bengals made the playoffs this decade? Oh yea that's right ONE TIME. The Steelers on the other hand have proven time and time again that they are a playoff team.The Steelers are also a consistent playoff team unlike the Bengals. They've made the playoffs in 01, 02, 04, and 05. In 03 they went 6-10, then the next year they went 15-1 with a rookie QB.

I'm sorry but I don't see how the Steelers are supposed to be worse than the Bengals this year even with a new coach.

stillers4me
08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
But, but, but...............CARSON PALMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blah::blah::blah:

rbryan
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
When a team has a history of sucking as bad as the Bunglers, the league promotes those teams twice as hard throughout the offseason to get the fan interest up. Preseason is as good as it gets for crappy teams. All the hype in the world won't sell merchandise, tickets ,etc.. once the season starts and reality sets in.

The future is all the Bungles have, year after year.

rog
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I think there is just alot of people that want to see the steelers stink because they have had tremendous sucsess for awhile. I have a friend that knows alot about football but he thinks the patriots are going to miss the playoffs every year and I think he just get swayed because he hates the patriots. I hear bengal and browns fan say we suck all the time even though we have had much more sucsess than their teams.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-10-2007, 06:39 PM
*sigh*

Amen man,that right there is the truth.I agreed with the points on why the media is overlooking Pittsburgh.

And truthfully,I'd rather be stuck looking up at the Bengals than the Ravens,I can almost stomach looking up at an Ohio team.

rbryan
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Steelers aren't looking up at anyone. I can promise you that.

stillers4me
08-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Steelers aren't looking up at anyone. I can promise you that.

:cheers:

kiss_my_stripes
08-10-2007, 07:25 PM
As I have looked at preseason mags all of them pick the Steelers to be 3rd behind the Ravens and the Bengals. I can understand the Ravens, but the Bengals I cannot.

First off the Bengals had the same record last year as the Steelers and have had so many arrests and probably more to come. The Bengals defense isn't all too special while the Steelers defense is very good. I can't stand the fascination of Carson Palmer. Many have him above Ben but Ben has been in more playoff appearences and a Super Bowl ring. Ben had one bad year because of unfortuante circumstances.

The Steelers missed the playoffs last year because of stupid mistakes, Ben with all the crap happened to him, and Cowher not having as much as passion and will to win has he had before. The Bengals missed the playoffs because they didn't perform as well as they usually had.

I can understand why people think the Steelers will miss the playoffs this year, but to put the Bengals over the Steelers, IMO is wrong.

Anyone else feel this way?

finally!!! there is no "lovefest".........the magazines speak the truth.

Galax Steeler
08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey piss on stripes that magazine was published in cincinati they can print what they want we all know the truth STEELERS rule and the bungholes suck.

Elvis
08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I didnt know the Bengals were more highly reguarded than the Steelers....
:tt02:

HometownGal
08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm going to close this thread - there are enough Bungles threads going around here - this one is several months old and since we all know that the Bungles SUCK, I see no reason to keep this one open. :tt02::chicken: