PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Mags

FastWillieParker39
06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Is there one preseason magazine out there that predicts us to be in the playoffs?

Now I understand why some would think that we will not make the playoffs. But jeez looking on past history you would think atleast one would make a bold prediction by predicting us to be in the playoffs. You would also think that these "experts" would see that last years Steelers team was better than it appeared. You would think they would see that Ben was rushed back too soon which is a big part of the reason why we lost games where we shouldn't.

I don't really look that much into preseason mags but still it bugs me we are getting the shaft. I remember when the Ravens missed the playoffs, then the next year they get predicted to win the division back before the 05 season.

Atlanta Dan
06-09-2007, 08:23 PM
So far I have read the Steelers reviews (not bought - the predictions are not worth the paper they are printed on) in Athlon, Lindy's, Street & Smith, and Sporting News - all 4 pick the Steelers to finish 3rd in the division - 3 of the 4 pick the Ravens to win the division and 1 (I think Sporting News) picks the Bengals.

To cover their predictions, all of the mags say there is a lot of talent that remains, but the combination of 2 other tough teams in the division and the anticipated bumps in transitioning to a new coach after so much time under Cowher appear to be the common threads as to why a 7-9 to 9-7 season is predicted.

So I guess I should cancel my Sunday Ticket subscription and root for a sure winner like the Falcons this year.:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Is street and smith even out yet? It's not supposed to be avaliable till the 12th.

TackleMeBen
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
even sirius is saying that they still a little concerned with the new coaching staff in pittsburgh. but in the next sentence they said that ben is very excited about the new staff.... go figure????

Atlanta Dan
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Is street and smith even out yet? It's not supposed to be avaliable till the 12th.

I read it at a newstand in CNN Center in Atlanta on Friday

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I read it at a newstand in CNN Center in Atlanta on Friday

I guess I have to look in one of my local news providers.

stlrtruck
06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Is there one preseason magazine out there that predicts us to be in the playoffs?

Now I understand why some would think that we will not make the playoffs. But jeez looking on past history you would think atleast one would make a bold prediction by predicting us to be in the playoffs. You would also think that these "experts" would see that last years Steelers team was better than it appeared. You would think they would see that Ben was rushed back too soon which is a big part of the reason why we lost games where we shouldn't.

I don't really look that much into preseason mags but still it bugs me we are getting the shaft. I remember when the Ravens missed the playoffs, then the next year they get predicted to win the division back before the 05 season.

It use to be back in the mid 90's that the people that put these magazines together would use a bit of the previous season's results, the draft, the coaching, and then spin it together to get their rankings. I mean there was some truth to the fact that the browns were not going to do much and that the division winners were usualy consistent...but usually there would be some bold predicitions going on as far as who was going to win the division, who was coming in second, and which teams were making the playoffs.

Now adays, IMHO, these same people only write what the majority of non fans want to read. Therefore, there is no in depth research about team chemistry, or positive influences the team is receiving from the new coaches - blah, blah, blah - which makes for bland, bland, bland reading. And let's face it, if so called journalists make a bold predicition and their wrong, then it could cost them their job (heaven forbid).

SteelerFanInTX210
06-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Who cares what they say, we know the real deal.

SteelCityMan786
06-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Who cares what they say, we know the real deal.

We just like to know how wrong they'll be.:toofunny: