PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Hall of Fame

bettis36
06-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Hello, This is my first post on this site. I was wondering do you think any more Steelers players from the 70s will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame such as Donnie Shell or L.C. Greenwood? Some people say that that probably won't happen anymore because there's already too many people in. Let me know what you think.

PisnNapalm
06-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I doubt anymore will although those 2 definitely deserve it.

dako
06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I doubt it....it's been too many years

Indy_Steelers
06-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I read a story about a year ago that the voters/writers say that there are too many from that team and there will not be any more. I feel Greenwood should have been voted in.

OneForTheToe
06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the board, bettis36. I might be in the minority here but I think they still have an outside chance of making it some day . Every once and a while an oldtimer gets in and that could happen to either player. John Henry Johnson was eligible for years before he was put in.

Of course, there will be a few other former Steelers likely to enter the Hall before Donnie or LC from later decades:

Rod Woodson is a lock. The only question is will he enter as a Steeler where he belongs or as a ratbird where he won a Super Bowl

Jerome Bettis, might not be a lock, but will almost certainly make it. Being on TV helps. I have little doubt Dan Dierdorf (he did deserve it, so that's ok) was helped by his annoucing job at ABC and CBS.

Finally, it goes without saying when your initials are J.K. you cannot be denied

One thing about the current "greatest team of the decade," the Patriots .... there likely won't be a long line of players entering the Hall from their teams. Thus, there won't be a repeat of the 80's, when the Steelers took up the beter part of a few Hall classes.

bettis36
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I read a story about a year ago that the voters/writers say that there are too many from that team and there will not be any more. I feel Greenwood should have been voted in.

I agree... I was really upset when L.C. was not inducted but you never know maybe he'll get in eventually but like that other guy said Rod Woodson will be in first.

HometownGal
06-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Hello, This is my first post on this site. I was wondering do you think any more Steelers players from the 70s will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame such as Donnie Shell or L.C. Greenwood? Some people say that that probably won't happen anymore because there's already too many people in. Let me know what you think.

Hi bettis36 and welcome to the site! :smile::tt02::wave:

Though Shell and Greenwood definitely deserve to be inducted into the HOF, I just don't see it happening unfortunately. It's a travesty.

Crushzilla
06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Rod Woodson is a lock. The only question is will he enter as a Steeler where he belongs or as a ratbird where he won a Super Bowl.

Ya, he'll go first ballot in '09. He SHOULD be voted in as a Steeler considering he won defensive player of the year with us in '93 and was voted to the 75th anniversary All-Time team while he was with us. Considering he was voted in during his career is also a great honor. Only he, Ronnie Lott, and Reggie White were active players to the All-Time defense. He was a Steeler then and will be a Steeler forever.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi bettis36 and welcome to the site! :smile::tt02::wave:

Though Shell and Greenwood definitely deserve to be inducted into the HOF, I just don't see it happening unfortunately. It's a travesty.

Damn skippy its a travesty...Both Shell and Greenwood should be in Canton...:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

LambertLunatic
06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I agree that Woodson SHOULD be a lock to get in, but I'm not holding my breath waiting. It's hard to call ANY Steeler a lock to get in when Demonti Dawson still isn't in.

tony hipchest
06-10-2007, 11:17 PM
greenwood still has a chance (not sure about shell)

dermonti hasnt been retired that long, so has plenty of chances to go in

bettis should be 1st ballot, even though alot of good rb's will be up for bid at the same time.

rod woodson has already said he will go in as a steeler.

OneForTheToe
06-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I can't believe I forgot about dermonti. :ididwhat:
I have to try and remember it's two blue pills and one white.

Glad to see Rod wants to go in as a Steeler.

ChronoCross
06-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Some make who should not. Some do not make it who should. Hopefully in time they make it.

OneForTheToe
06-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Anybody here think Greg Lloyd and/or Kevin Greene deserve to be in?
In thier favor, Lloyd did make a number of Pro Bowls and was voted to an all decade team, while Kevin Greene was among the career leaders in sacks for a while. Still, probably neither is quite up to the level required.

Also, if Faneca become eligible some day, I wonder which team he goes in as. :helmet:

Aussie_steeler
06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
I dont know if any of our Linebackers of the last fifteen years ever go. Did we have too many good ones who shared the greatness around???

We will have to see how Faneca pans out for the rest of his career to see if he makes eligibility. I think he spends the rest of his career chasing Grimm around. He may end up the same as Grimm in the eyes of HOF, good but maybe not good enough.

I noticed Carnell Lake sits on the 2007 preliminary nominees list with Dermonti Dawson.

Dawson is well worth a trip to Canton, but Lake for all his worth to the Steelers over the years would seem to have no chance. Is his reward the nomination to the preliminary list alone.

I am guessing Woodson is guaranteed to get in. Deon Sanders is also up soon, so how long does Sanders have to wait behind the legacy of Woodson?? (forever I hope)

stlrtruck
06-11-2007, 11:45 AM
It will probably be awhile but until Canton builds a Steelers building, it won't be anytime soon. I'm only hoping the voters get their heads out of their butts and recognize the talent that was together on that team!!!

tony hipchest
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
personally i think kevin greene shouldve been 1st ballot. other than lawrence taylor there really wasnt a linebacker who dominated his whole era. his records speak for themselves.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Greene
He played for the Rams from 1985 through 1992. In 1988 Greene led Rams with 16-1/2 sacks which was 2nd in the NFL behind Reggie White. That total included 4-1/2 sacks againts the 49ers' Joe Montana in a key late-season game that the Rams had to win order to make the playoffs which they did.

The following year Greene made the NEA All-Pro team in 1989 as well as The Sporting News (TSN) All-Pro Team and the Pro Bowl in 1989 with his second consecutuve season of 16-1/2 sacks (4th in the NFL). His 13 sacks (tied for 6th in the NFL) in 1990 gave him 46 sacks for that three-year period, the most of any player.

He retired after the 1999 season where he had 12 sacks (7th in the NFL) as a 4-3 outside linebacker and as a five-time Pro Bowler and the NFL's third all-time sack leader with 160, behind only Bruce Smith and Reggie White. He also leads all NFL linebackers in career sacks ahead of players like Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Rickey Jackson, and Andre Tippett. Greene is one of only 4 players to lead the NFL in sacks in multiple seasons ('94 with the Steelers and '96 with the Panthers). Greene is also tied for second in career safeties with three. He also ranked third all time in fumble recoveries with 26, which he returned for 136 yards and 2 touchdowns. He described his aggressive style of going after fumbles as "a hog going after a sweet potato in the mud"[2]. He also recorded 5 interceptions, returning them for 53 yards and a touchdown. He is one of three players to record 10 sacks a year for 10+ years. He averaged over 10 sacks a year for 15 seasons.

Was a Semi-Finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007i would hope he went in as a steeler but would think hed go in as a ram. he had great seasons for every team he played for.

LambertIsGod58
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
As much as I believe that Greenwood and Shell belong, I don't think it will ever happen. I mean, it took Swanny and Stallworth 14 yrs or more to get in. Greenwood was the all-time sack leader until Gildon took that title. And he was on the best defensive line of all-time, IMO.

revefsreleets
06-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't expect to see anymore 70's players, but Dirt Dawson not being a unanimous first ballot selection baffles me, and him not being selected at all almost makes me think there is some kind of anti-Steelers backlash from having so many players selected in a relatively short period of time. Woodson should be a first ballot unanimous vote, and he goes in as a Steeler. Bettis also deserves the same honor. Greene will never get in if Dawson doesn't.

OneForTheToe
06-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Dawson will make it eventually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermontti_Dawson

Dawson was one of twenty-five finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2005, his first year of eligibility. In 2006, he is once again one of the twenty-five finalists and again didn't make it.

SteelCityMan786
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Bettis is probably the ture lock in 2010.