PDA

View Full Version : El is ready for increased role.. will keep returning punts

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
http://kdka.com/local/local_story_252170243.html

Sep 9, 2005 5:02 pm US/Eastern
Antwaan Randle El has a whole new role with the Steelers in 2005. With the departure of Plaxico Burress, Randle El will be counted on to be a much bigger piece of the offensive puzzle.

In an interview with KDKA?s John Steigerwald, Randle El said he is ready for the challenge.

?The last three seasons I played in the slot,? Randle El said. ?I?ve played there forever. Now I?ll be playing split end.?

Randle El won the competition for the starting job from free agent receiver Cedric Wilson.

?I?ve been given the green-light for the starting job,? Randle El said. ?It?s an honor to get the start so I?m going to go out there focused.

?I?ll be running more deep routes than in the past,? Randle El said. ?I just want to gain the trust of the coaches and my teammates.

While his duties at receiver will change, there was one role he wasn?t ready to relinquish. He?ll stay on as the punt returner.

?I?m happy about it,? Randle El said. ?But I had to lobby for it.?

Tune in to KDKA to see Randle El every Thursday and every week day for a new Steelers playbook.

SteelR1
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm glad he had some competition in his roles.. Always seems to bring the best out in somebody...

Turn on the HEAT EL!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally cowher told him he wouldnt be returning as many punts as last year, but I guess he won his battle. And hey we all know how important field position is for a predominately running team! So go for it El !!!

clevestinks
09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Its a contract year to. El has something to prove. He is in a tough spot, he could go from no. to no.4 quickly if he doesnt play big. I think he will be alright.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah, he's definately quick enough to get down field on long pass plays and he's not afraid to jump up for the ball either !

Blitzburgh55
09-09-2005, 09:55 PM
EL is one of the best punt returners in the game He is great i wouldnt care if coc returned some

Black-n-Gold
09-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Coclough is a great returner, along side El our SP should be a nice threat.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Taylor doesnt seem to hit the holes as quickly as El and Coc do, so lets hope they keep those 2 back there on punts!

Koopa
09-10-2005, 02:29 PM
well i've been hard on el, but i hope he can prove all the stuff i said wrong, and he'll have a good year just because it is a contract year and will be looking to get paid. it should be a great season.