PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's Last Ride

tony hipchest
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Its been a year since big ben took his final cruise on his bike, through the streets of pittburgh. his morning was filled with radio appearances and his afternoon was going to be full of commercial shoots, oh and picking up his helmet in the shop that was getting painted.

today is a good day, in that we arent remembering the life of a hometown hero that was cut short on 6-12-06. today is good that we are wondering if ben can handle the offensive load of a premier quarterback in the upcoming season, and not wondering if he will ever be able to walk again. we remember all the interceptions and games pissed away, in a below average 8-8 season, but i think i would take that over charlie batch leading us to a repeat superbowl, as ben laid in a coma.

heres to the hope and focus of the upcoming year with out the distractions of the star player in the hospital, or a coach on the brink of retirement, or radio shows, tv shows, guest appearances, etc.

as the team disbands for their summer break i hope their focus stays strong, and they carry the lessons learned from ben's casual wrecklessness with them. (and will somebody keep santonio away from south beach?)

ARKIESTEEL
06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Great post Tony! :thumbsup:

Big7BenHOF
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Great post man. Rep.

83-Steelers-43
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
heres to the hope and focus of the upcoming year with out the distractions

Amen to that.

oldschool
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Great post.

memphissteelergirl
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I pray that Ben has come out of this a stronger person, and learns he cannot take life for granted and realizes how blessed he is.

ChronoCross
06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Good Post

bettis36
06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Great post

onthebus36
06-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Totally agree. Great post.

klick81
06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Beautiful. Good way to put things in perspective.

TackleMeBen
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
excellent post tony

SteelerFanInCA
06-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Well put Tony. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Glad the big guy is still around to play QB for our team.

revefsreleets
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow, this really brings it back. I remember hoping that Ben didn't die. What a difference a year makes!

siss
06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I would rather lok forward then look back. Ben is still here and still able to play for us. And hopfully he will once again lead us to a Super Bowl!

pEktaS
06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
nice post im new here but i will always remember pulling out of 7-11 and gettin the call that roethlisberger was down

Atlanta Dan
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
as the team disbands for their summer break i hope their focus stays strong, and they carry the lessons learned from ben's casual wrecklessness with them. (and will somebody keep santonio away from south beach?)

Great post T.H., but it is too bad Ben may not have carried away as many lessons as he might have:

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger marked the one-year anniversary of his horrific motorcycle accident by doing something else he enjoys.

"I'm blessed, I truly am, to be out here," Roethlisberger said after a 90-minute practice with his Steelers teammates at Heinz Field today. "It's a beautiful day to be on this football field with my teammates."

Roethlisberger was sent to Mercy Hospital a year ago this morning when his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue in Downtown Pittsburgh. It left the quarterback with a broken jaw, broken nose, broken orbital bone and some missing teeth. He recovered in time to open training camp with the Steelers six seeks later.

"A lot of good things, some bad things,'' Roethlisberger said as he reflected on the one-year anniversary. "It just makes me thankful to be alive and out here with my guys.''

Roethlisberger said he's not currently riding motorcycles and remains pro choice when it comes to wearing a helmet, something he wasn't doing when he had his accident a year ago.

"It's just one of those things,'' Roethlisberger said. "It's over with, it's done with and hopefully now that it's a year over with people will stop talking about it.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07163/793454-100.stm

Let's see - broken jaw, nose & orbital bone and some missing teeth - think a helmet might have helped?

Ben is as ignorant and/or stubborn as ever if he really remains pro-choice on wearing a helmet. :dang:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Nice post Tony.........Here is to Big Ben and the great year he is going to have in 2007....He will throw for 30 TDs this year....

tony hipchest
06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Nice post Tony.........Here is to Big Ben and the great year he is going to have in 2007....He will throw for 30 TDs this year....

welp, i agreed with you last year on that and i'll agree again!:cheers:

Roethlisberger said he's not currently riding motorcycles and remains pro choice when it comes to wearing a helmet, something he wasn't doing when he had his accident a year ago.

"It's just one of those things,'' Roethlisberger said. "It's over with, it's done with and hopefully now that it's a year over with people will stop talking about it.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07163/793454-100.stm

Ben is as ignorant and/or stubborn as ever if he really remains pro-choice on wearing a helmet. i certainly hopes he puts football ahead of any guilty pleasures from here on out. i think he wont be on a bike again, until atleast he retires. if he were ever to do it again, i think hes learned to wear a helmet.

it seems like he is under some pressure to do public service commercials, or lead campaigns to get laws changed. its obviously nothing hes ever wanted to have any part with cause, obviously, he doesnt believe in it. i guess i can see it as sticking with his convictions. just cause he had misfortune, he doesnt want to try and enforce rules on everybody else. he believes everybody should be able to make up their own minds. from a political standpoint, maybe he sees it like if he were to speak out on making abortion illegal.

thanks for the words of appreciation, everyone. sometimes i like to offer up something on a serious note. :wink02:

now is the time where we will hear ben is nothing but a caretaker, not capable of throwing more than 20 times a game (he did set the steelers completion record in a single game last year with 38, and have the highest yardage total for any qb in a single game the previous year). now is the time when we start to hear that tony romo deserves to be a top 5 paid qb cause he has "earned it" and read all the fantasy football magazines that rank trent green above ben because of his "upside" and "experience".

the point is ben is still around, to mature, gain experience, get better, and prove all his critics and naysayers wrong. and thats what is important.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
One of these years I have to get it right....lol The accident just delayed his greatness.....

vader29
06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Great post Tony. I caught a little bit of an interview on the news where a reporter asked him if he still rides his bike and he said something like yeah my ten speed.

I'll probably always remember the day of his accident as I was at work going to lunch and seeing it on the news when they were first reporting it as a motorcycle accident with only the first name of the driver as Ben and then hoping it wasn't him.

TackleMeBen
06-12-2007, 09:08 PM
i personally think we should just move on. there is no need harping on this. we need to be concern with the future and how many superbowls we can win..lol

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gif

Elvis
06-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeh.. I was at work and just so happened to go into a room and ESPNNEWS was on and was showing the crash scene.. I just about passded out.. It was scary, thats for sure, but with through the Grace of God he made it through and is now healthy.

The Duke
06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, it's been a long year. i remember the day, I was at school and a pats fan and a packers fan told me, and I was like yeah right, later on saw it in the internet and I felt sick. Bad memories..

SteelCityMan786
06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Its been a year since big ben took his final cruise on his bike, through the streets of pittburgh. his morning was filled with radio appearances and his afternoon was going to be full of commercial shoots, oh and picking up his helmet in the shop that was getting painted.

today is a good day, in that we arent remembering the life of a hometown hero that was cut short on 6-12-06. today is good that we are wondering if ben can handle the offensive load of a premier quarterback in the upcoming season, and not wondering if he will ever be able to walk again. we remember all the interceptions and games pissed away, in a below average 8-8 season, but i think i would take that over charlie batch leading us to a repeat superbowl, as ben laid in a coma.

heres to the hope and focus of the upcoming year with out the distractions of the star player in the hospital, or a coach on the brink of retirement, or radio shows, tv shows, guest appearances, etc.

Well Said Brother. :thumbsup:

PAMillerGrrl83
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Blah I remember this time last year my fiance` and I had been to a cookout and his anti-Steelers uncle walks onto the patio and says "So I hear your QB wrecked" and I was like wth and I went inside and turned the TV on, I was soo shocked, I just kept prayin Ben would be okay and come back better..heres to a new and better..accident free year!

steelpinstripe72
06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
i personally think we should just move on.

Yeah, totally agree with this comment. Someone tried to bring it up at work today, and I was just like, "Don't. Just...don't." Don't want to hear about it anymore. All I want is to see him and all the rest of them kicking ass and taking names come September.

Preacher
06-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Personally,

I think it was a great post Tony. It is good to remember how precious life is.

I also agree that it is not a big deal about Ben not wanting to tell others about wearing a motorcycle helmet. How many times have we heard about someone doing a PSA and then getting busted, hurt, etc. doing the very thing that they said not to do, or not doing the very thing they said to do.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah hopefully this is the last article written on this topic. Having two articles in the Trib on the same topic is bad enough. It's time to move on and realize there are other stories and other players on the Steelers roster......

Roethlisberger marks crash anniversary

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 13, 2007

This time, he wore a helmet.

Upon removing it after a Steelers practice Tuesday afternoon, Ben Roethlisberger confirmed that the significance of the date had not escaped him.

"Yeah, I knew," the Steelers' quarterback said. "This is the (one-) year anniversary. This is the day last year that, you know, I almost lost my life."

Roethlisberger endured seven-plus hours of facial reconstructive surgery after being involved in an accident while riding a motorcycle June 12, 2006. He was riding along Second Avenue when a car driven by Martha Fleishman of Squirrel Hill turned left in front of Roethlisberger's motorcycle at the 10th Street Bridge intersection. In the collision, Roethlisberger was launched into the car's windshield, sustaining facial injuries that included a broken jaw.

Paramedics told Roethlisberger he was "literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying," Roethlisberger said last year.

He was not wearing a helmet.

"I had it marked on the calendar as one year, and then (today) I said, 'Hopefully, no more talking about it,' " Roethlisberger said.

Steelers fans should have no fears about a similar misfortune befalling Roethlisberger once this offseason's organized team activities conclude Thursday.

"I'm not riding (motorcycles)," Roethlisberger said. "I ride my 10-speed (bicycle)."

The Steelers have sessions scheduled for today and Thursday before they scatter and then reconvene for training camp July 23 at St. Vincent College.

The team worked out at Heinz Field yesterday -- the Steelers usually train at their South Side practice facility -- and Roethlisberger sounded as if he particularly enjoyed the proceedings.

Perhaps it was the weather. Perhaps it was perspective.

"It just makes me thankful to be alive and be out here with my guys," Roethlisberger said. "It's a beautiful day. I'm blessed to be out on this football field with my teammates."

A year removed from his brush with death, Roethlisberger looked and sounded prepared to put the incident behind him. The accident marked the beginning of a trying year for Roethlisberger. On Sept. 3, he underwent an emergency appendectomy that forced him to miss the season opener. A month later, he suffered a concussion after a helmet-to-helmet hit with an Atlanta Falcons player. And he had his worst season, as the Steelers went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

"I feel great right now," Roethlisberger said. "I feel like I'm in great shape. I feel healthier than I've ever felt."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_512290.html

FastWillieParker39
06-13-2007, 12:51 AM
I remember I was eating lunch while my nephew was watching cartoons and I got this phone call from my brother (who's a Steeler fan) and he's said "Oh my god did you hear what happened to Roethlisberger?!" I said "no" and he said "He got in a horrible motorcyle accident!" I saidt "yea right sure like Ben Roethlisberger got in a motorcycle accident." He said "I'm not joking turn on ESPN!" I switched it to ESPN and the bottom line says "Ben Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident" as they are showing some pictures it felt like someone punched me right in the gut. I coudn't believe it, I thought how could this happen.

I will never forget that as we almost lost Ben Roethlisber THE PERSON not the QB.

Great post Tony though. Shows us all how we can't take life for granted.

Preacher
06-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Sure was a scary day.

However, I do agree that now we are a year away, now that we celebrate the one year and reminisce (sp, too lazy to look it up), once tomorrow or next week comes, it is time to let it go.

I will tell you this much, we make the playoffs this year, maybe go deep, and nobody will remember the accident.

However, we win the SB this year, all you will hear about is how Ben came back 20 months later to win the SB.

TackleMeBen
06-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Sure was a scary day.

However, I do agree that now we are a year away, now that we celebrate the one year and reminisce (sp, too lazy to look it up), once tomorrow or next week comes, it is time to let it go.

:iagree:

I will tell you this much, we make the playoffs this year, maybe go deep, and nobody will remember the accident.

i agree with you there. we all just need to move on and focus on the future and how good our team is.

However, we win the SB this year, all you will hear about is how Ben came back 20 months later to win the SB.

the poor guy would have to relive it all over again..lol.

jjpro11
06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
what a difference a year makes. phew.