PDA

View Full Version : SI.COM: 10 young players who will make a splash in 2007

Atlanta Dan
06-13-2007, 05:24 PM
SI.com has a story up on 10 young players who will break out in 2007 - nice to see it includes 2 Steelers:

SANTONIO HOLMES, WR, PITTSBURGH
After stepping into the starting lineup late in the season, Holmes displayed the big-play ability that made him a first-round selection. In four starts, he averaged 20 yards a catch and proved to be a nice complement to receiver Hines Ward. After an offseason spent polishing his route-running, Holmes could become the vertical threat the Steelers have lacked since Plaxico Burress left via free agency.

ANTHONY SMITH, FS, PITTSBURGH
Despite spending most of his rookie season in a reserve role, Smith has a chance to emerge as an impact playmaker in his second year. His combination of ball skills and awareness makes him the ideal free safety as the Steelers blend in more Tampa Two coverage. With two interceptions and five breakups in four starts last season, Smith has shown that he is capable of being a difference-maker.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/12/break.outs/1.html

The Duke
06-13-2007, 05:49 PM
If Santonio has big plays like the game at Cincinnati it will definitely his break out year. Anthony smith will be a great threat in the backfield, and with polamalu there too quarterbacks are gonna have to be cautious where to throw, and with LeBeau's new defensive scheme anthony is going to cause some big damage. Can't wait to see him do sacks too :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
06-13-2007, 06:05 PM
ive been following bucky brooks articles and they all seem well informed and insightful. you, along with mosca, have mentionned spaeth possibly being converted to a tackle. ive heard alot of buzz about this guy going into next season and it does give some credence

JASON PETERS, OT, BUFFALO
The former college tight end has made a smooth transition to offensive tackle. The Bills recognized as much and rewarded him with a five-year extension in the offseason. Don't be surprised if Peters and new teammate Derrick Dockery are lauded this season as one of the league's top offensive line combos on the left side.

i still think inside the 10-20, spaeth with hines and holmes outside and miller in the slot with parker in the backfield, presents alot of problems for alot of defenses.

its good to see not everybody is sleeing on santonio holmes. i hate to wishfully think he can be the next torry holt, but the comparrisons are there.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
For a first year WR I really liked what I saw in Holmes. It's not exactly the easiest position to learn in your first year while having a third year QB with his own 'issues' throwing you the ball and pass protection which was not exactly top notch. Granted the kid got in some trouble but it seems to me he learned his lesson (unlike many others in this league).

Anthony Smith seemed like the only defensive player on this team who was able to pick off a ball. Love his future although I could have done without the showboating. I don't mind a player having a chip on his shoulder, but establish yourself and wait until ummmm.....oh I don't.....the play is over.

tony hipchest
06-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Anthony Smith seemed like the only defensive player on this team who was able to pick off a ball. Love his future although I could have done without the showboating. I don't mind a player having a chip on his shoulder, but establish yourself and wait until ummmm.....oh I don't.....the play is over.he gets a pass from me. after several years of playing for the 'cuse i can understand his excitement picking off a ball for the greatest team and sb champions. next time he will act like hes been there, because he finally has.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2007, 07:02 PM
he gets a pass from me. after several years of playing for the 'cuse i can understand his excitement picking off a ball for the greatest team and sb champions. next time he will act like hes been there, because he finally has.

Doing it once made me shake my head. I passed it off as immaturity and idiocy. But his response if you remember Tony afterwards was not exactly reassuring. Something to the effect that he would do it again. Search it and I'm sure you will find the exact quote.

jjpro11
06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
if he's picking off balls like that every week, i dont care if hes doing somersaults and back flips with the ball.. we need some swagger on D with joey gone.

domthebomb228
06-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I'd add Bryant McFadden to this list. He's underrated, young, and probably our best cover corner last year. I think with yet another year under his belt he's really going to improve even more this year.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2007, 07:20 PM
we need some swagger on D with joey gone.

As long as it's not costing us a 15 yard penalty for stupidity, I agree completely.

Atlanta Dan
06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
if he's picking off balls like that every week, i dont care if hes doing somersaults and back flips with the ball.. we need some swagger on D with joey gone.

Not that Smith cares, but the showboating needs to go - unlike with Cowher last season, who continually allowed his players to draw taunting penalties after saying it would not happen again, there is a new sheriff in town. Look for more Troy & Farrior-like behavior on the field this season.

You can swagger without braying like a jackass.

pEktaS
06-13-2007, 07:45 PM
i love em both but to me there is nothing like having a guy like anthony smith back there that after a few years he will strike fear into oponents and noone will want to take a chance of gettin hit by him

tony hipchest
06-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Not that Smith cares, but the showboating needs to go - unlike with Cowher last season, who continually allowed his players to draw taunting penalties after saying it would not happen again, there is a new sheriff in town. Look for more Troy & Farrior-like behavior on the field this season.

theres a clip of cowher and dungy greeting eachother on the field before the playoff game in 05, not seen in the sb video, but seen in the nfl films version. cowher is jovial as always with his "buds". in an almost, apologetic fashion he discussed joey calling out the colts in the media. yet almost like a proud father, who is slightly embarrased, yet more proud of how "cute" his kid stunt was, he slaps his knee and hunches over in laughture, like he was joking with an old friend at the bar.

tomlin seems much more like dungy than cowher. im pretty sure he wont find such stuff as cute. kids will be kids, but even hines ward got caught up in it last year. its hard enough for our rookies to learn how to play like champions, so its gonna take some time to learn to act like steelers.

theres a time and place for everything. hell, even the stoic belichick allowed his players bray like jackasses, when they won their last superbowl.

with players like deshea, hampton, farrior, and polamalu setting the tone, im not the least bit concerned about 2nd year smith, and i wont think twice the next time i see larry foote, do his snuffing out a cigarette butt thing.

its not like its deion sanders dropping to his knees, raising his arms to the sky, and receiving holy communion in the endzone every time he scored.

83-Steelers-43
06-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Once again, I have no problem with a chip on your shoulder. I have no problem with a rookie making an ass out of himself. But I do have a problem with a rookie not learning his lesson.

Celebrate an INT, not a TD, an INT if you must, but how about we learn our lesson instead of making public statements that you have no problem with what you did. I'm sure everybody loves the hard hits and INT's right now, but I'm sure if it costs us 15 yards in the future a different tune will be sung.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Well interesting fact about Holmes...He did post the 7th most rec. yards in a season this decade for a rookie WR....So yes with a year under his belt he should be ready to take the next step and really showcase his talents this year...

As for Anthony Smith....He can hit and he showed he has ballhawking skills so yes I expect a big year from Smith.....With Smith showing he can cover ground should be able to free Troy to be Troy...

TackleMeBen
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM

you can leave that for the bengals :flap:

Galax Steeler
06-14-2007, 03:38 AM
I think smith and holmes will be powerhouses this year.

Buzz05
06-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Once again, I have no problem with a chip on your shoulder. I have no problem with a rookie making an ass out of himself. But I do have a problem with a rookie not learning his lesson.

Celebrate an INT, not a TD, an INT if you must, but how about we learn our lesson instead of making public statements that you have no problem with what you did. I'm sure everybody loves the hard hits and INT's right now, but I'm sure if it costs us 15 yards in the future a different tune will be sung.

I dont think that will happen any more. I just have a feeling he learned his leasson. There is a difference between celebrating a good play and upstaging an opponent. Smith did just that when he picked off that pass. Thats not the Steelers way, the Labeau way, and hopefully not his way anymore. Even though Cowher knocked him down a few rungs after he did it I highly doubt Tomlin will allow for it if he comes from the Tony Dungy mold.

paw-n-maul-u
06-14-2007, 04:29 PM
For a first year WR I really liked what I saw in Holmes. It's not exactly the easiest position to learn in your first year while having a third year QB with his own 'issues' throwing you the ball and pass protection which was not exactly top notch. Granted the kid got in some trouble but it seems to me he learned his lesson (unlike many others in this league).

Anthony Smith seemed like the only defensive player on this team who was able to pick off a ball. Love his future although I could have done without the showboating. I don't mind a player having a chip on his shoulder, but establish yourself and wait until ummmm.....oh I don't.....the play is over.

Well, i mean it was the guys first NFL interception ever. give him a break. and if there is one thing you can't screw around with, it's the confidence of your DB's (ie Ike Taylor last year).
I think you HAVE to be a little ****y and and walk with a little swag. One thing is for sure, I am exciiiiiiiited to see this guy suit up with a full season under his belt. I'm not really a big Clark fan and don't see any upside to him at all really, so I'm hoping Smith snatches the oppurtunity up by the time training camp is over.

83-Steelers-43
06-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, i mean it was the guys first NFL interception ever. give him a break. and if there is one thing you can't screw around with, it's the confidence of your DB's (ie Ike Taylor last year).
I think you HAVE to be a little ****y and and walk with a little swag. One thing is for sure, I am exciiiiiiiited to see this guy suit up with a full season under his belt. I'm not really a big Clark fan and don't see any upside to him at all really, so I'm hoping Smith snatches the oppurtunity up by the time training camp is over.

I'll try this one more time, I had no problem with him being excited. I really didn't have a problem with him screwing up his first time around (he was a rookie and it was his first INT). If you feel the need to celebrate before the play is over and make a complete ass out of yourself, go for it if you must. But I did have a problem with his comments after he was reamed out by LeBeau.

So yeah, I did "give him a break", but I was not crazy about his comments after he was reamed out by his coach. For a team who took a number of dumb celebration penalties last season (after being warned), I think I have a reason to be a little skeptical/paranoid in those regards. I'm just not real crazy about this team taking 15 yard penalties over and over again like they did last season.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-15-2007, 12:20 AM
I doubt Tomlin will stand for the showboating.If you do it,you won't play,especially if you keep costing your team 15 yard penalties.

The quickest way to stop dumb penalties:

Fine the player $1,000 a yard for each stupid penalty.Taunting,unsportsmanlike conduct,true roughing the passer (not the "looking at the QB mean" stuff that was called last year)...that stuff isn't acceptable.When the players see thier bank accounts become smaller,they will become less likley to do that crap.

vasteeler
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I doubt Tomlin will stand for the showboating.If you do it,you won't play,especially if you keep costing your team 15 yard penalties.

The quickest way to stop dumb penalties:

Fine the player $1,000 a yard for each stupid penalty.Taunting,unsportsmanlike conduct,true roughing the passer (not the "looking at the QB mean" stuff that was called last year)...that stuff isn't acceptable.When the players see thier bank accounts become smaller,they will become less likley to do that crap.
I agree but the fine has to be alot higher thats like fining me $5 it really wont hurt that much try $25,000 and it will stop

polamalufan43
06-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I can see Holmes, without any more brushes with the law, becoming a great WR. I'm not too worried about his past troubles with the law though, I think he's grown past that. Smith is a dynamic player for someone of his experience.

~PF43:tt02:

onthebus36
06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Did you guys read Tomlin as "The News" that he's been pulling out during the mini-camps and OTAs? Apparently he reads "The News" to the whole team and calls out everyone who messed up in practice. Throw a pick - get in the news. Blow a coverage - get in the news.

I think that kind of atmosphere will have a impact on showboating and the mental lapses like taunting and excessive celebration.

The Duke
06-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Did you guys read Tomlin as "The News" that he's been pulling out during the mini-camps and OTAs? Apparently he reads "The News" to the whole team and calls out everyone who messed up in practice. Throw a pick - get in the news. Blow a coverage - get in the news.

I think that kind of atmosphere will have a impact on showboating and the mental lapses like taunting and excessive celebration.

I like the idea of "the news" too, i hope it stays for the season.

polamalufan43
06-16-2007, 10:46 AM

That's actually a pretty good idea. Plus, it gets rookies used to if they mess up, it's what the media will do to them.

~PF43:tt02:

Smashmouth225
06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Holmes will take over nicely once Hines skills really start diminishing. Hines still performs @ a very high level. The thing about Holmes is he is our bon-a-fide big play deep threat reciever which i have been longing for. Steelers have not had 1 in a minute. Smith got the skills but needs to chill out w/the silly penalties.

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2007, 02:45 PM
If Santonio and Anthony start strong, who knows what's in store for them this year.

nwksteeler
06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
How refreshing it is to be speaking on two young up and coming Steelers. These guys are both going to be gamebreakers. I just hope that Smith tones down some of his antics and we are looking at a very bright future.

fansince'76
06-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I just hope that Smith tones down some of his antics and we are looking at a very bright future.

I think he will because I don't think Tomlin will put up with it. Hell, Hines Ward already landed in Tomlin's "daily news" (shit list) for spiking the ball in practice.

stillers4ever
06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
The biggest thing im worried about is the fact that some pretty big name stars have been traded, or been released by the steelers because upper management WILL NOT tolerate excessive "badd attitudes" or showboating schemes, i.e. Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Joey Porter(even though that was supposedly "for the money").
Roony's my boy but we if we had plaxico on the right, randle el on the left......whew. Bottom line is that i see Smith leaving us right when he starts to get sick. Holmes i can see staying.

fansince'76
06-21-2007, 01:19 PM
The biggest thing im worried about is the fact that some pretty big name stars have been traded, or been released by the steelers because upper management WILL NOT tolerate excessive "badd attitudes" or showboating schemes, i.e. Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Joey Porter(even though that was supposedly "for the money").
Roony's my boy but we if we had plaxico on the right, randle el on the left......whew. Bottom line is that i see Smith leaving us right when he starts to get sick. Holmes i can see staying.

We haven't missed Plexiglass one bit (we won the whole ball of wax without him), and Randle El was strictly about the money - Snyder was willing to pay him 1st WR money while we (wisely) weren't. And as far as Plexiglass is concerned, he's been nothing but a huge pain in the ass with the same piss-poor attitude he had with us for the Giants since he went there.

rbryan
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I gotta laugh everytime I hear somebody still bringing up Burress. I guess it will take him getting thrown out of the league altogether before some people stop crying about him leaving. As far as ARE, nobody can make an argument that he was worth that kind of money.

polamalu3000
06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
holmes showed me alot last year and the years i watched him play at ohio state i was very happy when we drafted a player from osu since that is my favorite college team and i knew he would have a big impact on the steelers from the start, and i guess i was right. smith could possibly start this year but he will have stiff competition with ryan clark.

ben2hines=6
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
i def look for santonio to have a big year, hopefully along with our tight end......and what a help it would be if we could get smith to step up and be that dependable force with troy, THE BIG NASTY D IS BACK!!!!!........ohhh and not to stur anything else but when plex plays to his potential i would have given him the money that the giants did, they had not one touchdown caught by the recievers the year before plex got there, so they took care of an area of need

Elvis
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
All the Smith talk sounds good and I hope that he can compete for the starting job and win it and play well. As for Holmes.. I expect him to have about the same year as he did last year. I think that once this season gets started the Steelers (Tomlin) will realize just what the running of Willie Parker means to this team and the pass happy attack will just happen when needed or necessary. When we face teams like the Ravens we must Have To Be Able to be more than one dimensionable. The Ravens keyed on our running game last year and Ben was Not up to the task. I hope that all is well with Ben because we need him to return to super bowl form for us to succeed.
:tt02::helmet:

paw-n-maul-u
06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
All the Smith talk sounds good and I hope that he can compete for the starting job and win it and play well. As for Holmes.. I expect him to have about the same year as he did last year. I think that once this season gets started the Steelers (Tomlin) will realize just what the running of Willie Parker means to this team and the pass happy attack will just happen when needed or necessary. When we face teams like the Ravens we must Have To Be Able to be more than one dimensionable. The Ravens keyed on our running game last year and Ben was Not up to the task. I hope that all is well with Ben because we need him to return to super bowl form for us to succeed.
:tt02::helmet:

Your crazy if you think Santonio is only going to have "about the same as last year". He will for sure break 1000yrds. ... and honestly I don't see double digit TD's being out of the question (a bit more of a stretch than 1000 yrds. thats for sure). I also believe by the end of the year, Holmes will be the best receiver on the steelers. Sorry, Ward. There is a reason that every sports magazine/website is targeting Holmes to have a big year. We are going to need our receivers (esp. Holmes) and Ben to step it up against teams like the ravens if Willie Can't get it goin' on the ground.

The Duke
06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Your crazy if you think Santonio is only going to have "about the same as last year". He will for sure break 1000yrds. ... and honestly I don't see double digit TD's being out of the question (a bit more of a stretch than 1000 yrds. thats for sure). I also believe by the end of the year, Holmes will be the best receiver on the steelers. Sorry, Ward. There is a reason that every sports magazine/website is targeting Holmes to have a big year. We are going to need our receivers (esp. Holmes) and Ben to step it up against teams like the ravens if Willie Can't get it goin' on the ground.

I agree with you, since last season i've been thinking Holmes will be better than Hines pretty soon, he's not gonna take the job from Hines this year or next, but soon he will, and I think Holmes will definitely have more yards than Ward, not more Touchdowns though. As for the ravens I'm sure Holmes could beat Samari Rolle deep, which would be a score for us:thumbsup:, as long as the o line protects Ben.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
06-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Those are my favorite draft picks last year.Both are going to have a great season I can feel it.

lilyoder6
06-29-2007, 10:36 AM
i hope to see more of willie reid this yr.. i don't care if it's playing 3rd/4th string wr or returning punts and kick-offs.. i mean they said he was one hell aof a returner.. but i agree that holmes will do a lot better this upcoming season than last yr.. he did come on pretty strong near the end of the season...

plex was good b/c of his height.. but we got over that and he does have a bad attitude.. randle el was a good punt returner and a o.k wr.. but he sign with the redskins to sit on the bench?? he got the $$$ but he didn't even play that much last yr... they do have moss and lloyd which are very good.. depending how our replacements do for the job of porter is when i start thinking if it was a mistake or not to get rid of joey.

steelpride12
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
ya holmes def. will have a breakout season and smith if he starts will prob. have a good year but not a great one i will not give him too much credit yet!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I thought after losing Hope that we lost are hard hitting FS but once Pittsburgh drafted Smith I knew that we had replaced him and I hope that Smith is a Steeler in years to come.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Dude I dont think that he will be the 3rd/4th reciever Reid will most likely be the 5th/6th string WR

The Duke
07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Dude I dont think that he will be the 3rd/4th reciever Reid will most likely be the 5th/6th string WR

Definitely, he'll be a 6th string receiver at least, but he has to stay healthy this season or he is out.:dang: