PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Ultimate Depth Chart: AFC North

CantStop85
06-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Depth Chart: AFC North

ESPN.com

Updated: June 13, 2007, 12:44 PM ET

It's always a long summer in anticipation of the new NFL season, but "SportsCenter" has come up with a way to keep your attention aimed between the end zones.

ULTIMATE DEPTH CHART

AFC North

Best offense in the AFC North?
Mark Schlereth: Cincinnati Bengals
The Cincinnati Bengals easily have the best offense in the division. The Bengals have the ability to be as explosive as any team in the league through the air and can run the ball with the best of them. This offense will miss WR Chris Henry, who is out for eight games while serving a league-mandated suspension, but the Bengals will be just fine throwing to T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson while he's out.

Merril Hoge: Bengals
This is a complete offense with QB Carson Palmer, WR Johnson and one of the most underrated running backs in the league with Rudi Johnson running the rock. They can cut you so many different ways with those three guys because there is no area of the field they can't attack. Johnson has the ability to run any route that is thrown at him, and Palmer can make all the throws.

Joe Theismann: Bengals
This is an explosive team with one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Palmer. What makes this offense better than most is its offensive line, which does an amazing job of keeping defenders off Palmer and giving Johnson time to hit his holes and accelerate into the second level of the defense.

Best defense in the AFC North?
Schlereth: Baltimore Ravens
You can't bet against a defense that is led by Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. These two are perennial Defensive Player of the Year candidates. They are smart and aggressive and know not only where they should be but also where every defender on the field should be at all times. This means that when a younger defender makes a mistake, Reed and Lewis can process that information quickly and do what is necessary to rectify the situation. That may mean filling a spot on the fly or changing the game plan and showing the quarterback a different look to force him away from that area. Simply put, these two play chess on the field, and that's why the Ravens are the best in the AFC North.

Hoge: Ravens
The Ravens are still the best, even with vaunted defender Adalius Thomas leaving to go to New England via free agency. This is one of the most versatile and aggressive defenses in the league, as they can mix it up to confuse basically any quarterback in the league. This is the type of defense that offensive coordinators brew extra pots of coffee to get ready to face.

Theismann: Ravens
This is a team with a slew of Pro Bowl-caliber players at every level. Defensive coordinator Rex Ryan loves versatility, and the Ravens have the personnel not only to execute Ryan's complex schemes but also to thrive in them. This is an extreme, aggressive brand of defensive football.

Best team in the AFC North?
Schlereth: Ravens
While defense leads the Ravens, they will get a huge shot in the arm offensively with the arrival of RB Willis McGahee. He's the type of big-play threat that has been missing from the Ravens' offense in recent years. He and QB Steve McNair should lead this team to a division title.

Hoge: Bengals
The Bengals get the nod because of the defensive improvements they've made. Don't forget that coach Marvin Lewis is one of the foremost defensive minds in the league. There's no doubt that he hasn't been happy in recent years with the play of his defense, but that is subject to change as he finally has the type of personnel necessary for him to finally execute his schemes.

Theismann: Ravens
McNair and McGahee are the reasons why Baltimore is my pick. McNair is one of the best leaders in football, and he has another year under his belt with coach Brian Billick's offensive scheme and with his receivers. Bringing in McGahee gives this team the type of big-play threat that hasn't been seen in Baltimore from the running-back position since Jamal Lewis' 2,000-yard season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2902803

tony hipchest
06-13-2007, 08:02 PM
hoge is working overtime to shake his steelers homerism image. i guess he wants to be taken a bit more seriously. calling marvin lewis one of the foremost defensive minds in the league is about as "old hat" as calling brian billick" an offensive genius.

while people slobber all over the bungles offense they forget how long tj and chad took in the league before anyone even knew who they were as they discount the steelers wr's abilities to improve.

funny about rudi. last year he was probably one of the most overrated backs in the league. now that he had a mediocre year, hes suddenly "underrated" :rolleyes:

SteelCityMan786
06-13-2007, 09:37 PM
hoge is working overtime to shake his steelers homerism image. i guess he wants to be taken a bit more seriously. calling marvin lewis one of the foremost defensive minds in the league is about as "old hat" as calling brian billick" an offensive genius.

while people slobber all over the bungles offense they forget how long tj and chad took in the league before anyone even knew who they were as they discount the steelers wr's abilities to improve.

funny about rudi. last year he was probably one of the most overrated backs in the league. now that he had a mediocre year, hes suddenly "underrated" :rolleyes:

That's for sure. I think he's performing though a jinx on the rest of the division so the Steelers win it all.

Crushzilla
06-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm not entirely sure McGahee can be hyped up anymore than he is...

What a joke

ChronoCross
06-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not entirely sure McGahee can be hyped up anymore than he is...

What a joke

Totally agree there. McGahee is by far no elite RB..

CantStop85
06-14-2007, 12:55 AM

I don't think anyone's discounting the Steelers receivers' abilities to improve, it's just simply the fact that it'll take time for all of them to come into their own. It took Chad a couple of years; it took TJ 3 or 4. Santonio Holmes should develop into one of the better receivers in the AFC, if not the league and Willie Reid has some serious potential as well. They just still need some time to adjust to the NFL.

I don't think anyone will ever label Rudi Johnson as an elite back in the NFL. He is what he is...a downhill runner, a "run right over you not around you" kind of guy. You're pretty much guaranteed 1300-1400 yards out of him each year with 10+ td's. He's not by any means the "complete" back, but he's consistent and good at what he does.

Hopefully Kenny Irons will turn into more of that "do-it-all" type of back.

Livinginthe past
06-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I think Tony is pretty much spot on about Hoge, he was full of sh*t as a biased Steelers homer and now his new 'Steelers who?' philosophy smells of the brown stuff too.

I'll always remember the total lack of respect he has paid the Patriots before the AFCCG's against Pittsburgh - these games wouldn't even be close in Hoge's book - Bettis was going to run all over us, Brady would be eating dirt all day - and that was that.

The painting of Lewis as a defensive mastermind is way past its sell by date.

The Bengals get the 'best offense' award by default - they seem to be good at running up the score on poor teams (granted, they put 40 on the Chargers!) but I was underwhelmed by their effort against the Patriots.

The Ravens are the shoe-in for best defense for alot of obvious reasons - namely best players, best coaching and best production.

Overall best team?

Ravens for me - give me a solid D over an over-rated sometimes explosive offense any day of the week.

Edman
06-14-2007, 06:04 AM
It's so easy to pick the Ravens. They won the division last year. The Keyword is last year. Some may say they have no weakness on paper, but that's why we play the game. The Ravens are not unbeatable. The Bengals gave them trouble, why can't we? Simple, Cowher was a lame duck and painfully predictable on offense and defense that year. The Ravens were good, but we weren't THAT bad.

But like so many have said in this thread, Their D is ferocious and is the bread and butter of that team.

boLT fan
06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
It's so easy to pick the Ravens. They won the division last year. The Keyword is last year. Some may say they have no weakness on paper, but that's why we play the game. The Ravens are not unbeatable. The Bengals gave them trouble, why can't we? Simple, Cowher was a lame duck and painfully predictable on offense and defense that year. The Ravens were good, but we weren't THAT bad.

But like so many have said in this thread, Their D is ferocious and is the bread and butter of that team.

I'd pick the Ravens too. They're only big loss was Adailius Thomas, but they're so stacked on defense it doesn't matter. They've also got a better back in Willis McGahee (he will be good behind that o-line) and Steve McNair will know the offensive system that much better.

Indy_Steelers
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I know we all saw the egg the Bengals laid last year against the Colts and the Patriots. The Colts game was one of the worst coached games, especially on the defensive side, I have ever seen and the Pats game was horribly executed. Of course since this is a Steelers message board, I will mention December 31, 2006. Steelers 23-17. Where was the defense? Win and they were in. When a slant rout that is designed to go for 7-12 yards goes for 60+ and for a TD... Lets not forget that the Bengals, with their "high powered offense", were 8-8 last year as well. Where was the defense on January 8, 2006? The Bengals were up by 17 points and lost.

Lastly, about a Bengals fan ripping the Steelers team/fans about living in the past, If you had a past you would not be saying that. So do not be jealous. The Bengals are only marginally better than the Browns. But at least the Browns have more players, over the last 40 years, in the Hall of Fame. Besides I am sure you took the quote out of context.

My AFC North team to beat is unfortunately the Ravens. My only other question is when will the Bengals win their next playoff game? 16 years since their last one and only 5 times since 1970. That is a good trade, for every playoff win the Bengals get we get a SB ring.

revefsreleets
06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Just for fun, and to show how far off these preseason rankings/picks are, here is what ESPN listed as their power rankings right before the 2006 season started.

Seahawks
Panthers
Steelers
Colt's
Bronco's
Bengals
Patriots
Cowboys
Dolphins
Giants
Jaguars
Buccaneers
Bears
Redskins
Eagles
Chargers
Falcons
Ravens
Vikings
Chiefs
Cardinals
Rams
Lions
Texans
Raiders
Titans
Browns
Packers
Saints
Bills
Jets
49ers

CantStop85
06-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I know we all saw the egg the Bengals laid last year against the Colts and the Patriots. The Colts game was one of the worst coached games, especially on the defensive side, I have ever seen and the Pats game was horribly executed. Of course since this is a Steelers message board, I will mention December 31, 2006. Steelers 23-17. Where was the defense? Win and they were in. When a slant rout that is designed to go for 7-12 yards goes for 60+ and for a TD... Lets not forget that the Bengals, with their "high powered offense", were 8-8 last year as well. Where was the defense on January 8, 2006? The Bengals were up by 17 points and lost.

OK, you've proved that the Bengals are not better than the Steelers. I don't remember anyone saying that they were, but good job. :thumbsup:
Lastly, about a Bengals fan ripping the Steelers team/fans about living in the past, If you had a past you would not be saying that. So do not be jealous. The Bengals are only marginally better than the Browns. But at least the Browns have more players, over the last 40 years, in the Hall of Fame. Besides I am sure you took the quote out of context.

If you're referencing the quote in my signature, it's actually referring to LITP, you know, the person. Someone else had a quote involving him in their signature a while ago so I decided to follow the trend. :flap:

CantStop85
06-14-2007, 06:04 PM
The Bengals get the 'best offense' award by default - they seem to be good at running up the score on poor teams (granted, they put 40 on the Chargers!) but I was underwhelmed by their effort against the Patriots.

40 points against the chargers (7th ranked defense)
31 against the saints (13th ranked defense)
28 against the steelers (12th ranked defense)
27 against the falcons (16th ranked defense)
27 against the raiders (3rd ranked defense)
23 against the broncos (8th ranked defense)
23 against the chiefs (11th ranked defense)
17 against the panthers (9th ranked defense)

The Patriots were the only team ranked in the top half of the league defensively against whom the Bengals did not score 17+ points. The Bengals averaged 25.4 points per game against teams ranked in the top half of the league defensively (including the patriots). Not too shabby for a team that runs up the score on poor teams. That's above their average of 23.3 points per game for the entire season.

tony hipchest
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
good burn but...

defense wins championships. while the bungles can score all they want during the regular season, theres nothing to stop them doing what they did vs. the chargers if they ever do get in the playoffs. and when it mattered most the bengals could do nothing but trip all over themselves against the colts, denver and pittsburgh.

SteelCzar76
06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
good burn but...

defense wins championships. while the bungles can score all they want during the regular season, theres nothing to stop them doing what they did vs. the chargers if they ever do get in the playoffs. and when it mattered most the bengals could do nothing but trip all over themselves against the colts, denver and pittsburgh.

You beat me to the punches Tone. You know, the '15th ranking against the run' Jab, the '31st ranking against the pass' right cross,.....and the '30th in total Defense' uppercut.

Which combined even with a better than average offense still equals,.....KO'd kittens.

CantStop85
06-14-2007, 09:21 PM
good burn but...

Oh believe me, I know our defense sucks, or at least it did last year.

Things are looking a little better on that front...if Odell keeps his nose clean he can make a huge impact, Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise in his first year...Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall should put some pressure on Deltha O'Neal to perform. Plus we got rid of fat ass Sam Adams.

If the Bengals could move up to 16th in overall defense, I think that could put them over the hump, assuming the offense continues to perform. If not, I guess it will be another 8-8 or early playoff exit.

Titans666
06-14-2007, 11:00 PM
The Bengals are only marginally better than the Browns.

Even if you're talking about the past that's a bit of a stretch .. The Bungs at least have 2 SB appearances - a heartbreaking dropped INT by Lewis Billups and a 4th and goal from the 1 away from 2 rings themselves.. The Browns have nothing along those lines except maybe allowing Elway to become a comeback superstar...

Titans666
06-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Oh believe me, I know our defense sucks, or at least it did last year.

Things are looking a little better on that front...if Odell keeps his nose clean he can make a huge impact, Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise in his first year...Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall should put some pressure on Deltha O'Neal to perform. Plus we got rid of fat ass Sam Adams.

If the Bengals could move up to 16th in overall defense, I think that could put them over the hump, assuming the offense continues to perform. If not, I guess it will be another 8-8 or early playoff exit.

If The Bengals Oline stays healthy unlike last season their Offense will be simply overwhelming. If injuries don't kill them again they will do much better tha 8-8... The defense will be improved with guys like Peko, Joseph and Jeanty getting another year under their belt..
Question: are they going to stick with Ghiacuic or however you spell it or the kid from Ohio State they grabbed from AZ at center?

ChronoCross
06-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Even if you're talking about the past that's a bit of a stretch .. The Bungs at least have 2 SB appearances - a heartbreaking dropped INT by Lewis Billups and a 4th and goal from the 1 away from 2 rings themselves.. The Browns have nothing along those lines except maybe allowing Elway to become a comeback superstar...

Base fact in that is the browns are 11-20 in the playoffs, were as the bengals are 5-8 in the playoffs. Regardless of what, Bengals still have not won a SB.. Browns actually in team history have a overall winning record were as the bengals still have a overall loosing record as a franchise. It may not be SB Lombardi's but the Browns do have 4 NFL Championships. Past few years the Bengals have shown promise were as the Browns sit at the bottom.

Livinginthe past
06-15-2007, 01:05 AM
40 points against the chargers (7th ranked defense)
31 against the saints (13th ranked defense)
28 against the steelers (12th ranked defense)
27 against the falcons (16th ranked defense)
27 against the raiders (3rd ranked defense)
23 against the broncos (8th ranked defense)
23 against the chiefs (11th ranked defense)
17 against the panthers (9th ranked defense)

The Patriots were the only team ranked in the top half of the league defensively against whom the Bengals did not score 17+ points. The Bengals averaged 25.4 points per game against teams ranked in the top half of the league defensively (including the patriots). Not too shabby for a team that runs up the score on poor teams. That's above their average of 23.3 points per game for the entire season.

Nice stats, man. :cheers:

Its funny I never would have put the Saints as high as 13th in points conceded.

One team you can take off the list though - the Raiders conceded 332 points (18th) which is one point worse than the Bengals!

CantStop85
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
If The Bengals Oline stays healthy unlike last season their Offense will be simply overwhelming. If injuries don't kill them again they will do much better tha 8-8... The defense will be improved with guys like Peko, Joseph and Jeanty getting another year under their belt..
Question: are they going to stick with Ghiacuic or however you spell it or the kid from Ohio State they grabbed from AZ at center?

Yeah, all indications are that Ghiaciuc will be the guy...Stepanovich will most likely be the backup now that Ben Wilkerson has been cut and he will most likely stay there unless Ghiaciuc struggles.

Nice stats, man. :cheers:

Its funny I never would have put the Saints as high as 13th in points conceded.

One team you can take off the list though - the Raiders conceded 332 points (18th) which is one point worse than the Bengals!

Yeah, all the credit goes to the Saints offense, but they actually had a decent defense.

I know, for the Raiders I actually used their rank in yardage allowed...the points allowed stat just doesn't seem to do their defense justice...they were very good last year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, all indications are that Ghiaciuc will be the guy...Stepanovich will most likely be the backup now that Ben Wilkerson has been cut and he will most likely stay there unless Ghiaciuc struggles.

Hmmmmm...the loss of Steinbach might be bigger than you realize....and I think that with Chris Henry gone for 8 games...you have no proven 3rd reciever. At some point your FO is going to have to look at a legit passcatching TE to take some pressure off of your two starting WR's....I would be up in arms for them not at least looking at that position in the draft this year.

Your LB corp used to be CRAZY with Odell and Pollack...but is only moderate now. You really need Odell to keep his hand out of the cookie jar. I look for O'Neal to have splinters in his butt by the end of the season if he shows up as casual as he did last year...and that leaves you with two young CB's who will take their lumps this year but will be good for your future.

Lot of maybe's!!!

CantStop85
06-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Hmmmmm...the loss of Steinbach might be bigger than you realize

It's a big loss, but we drafted Andrew Whitworth last year to take his place and he showed some promise last year in a reserve role. Honestly the center position concerns me much more than the guard position.

....and I think that with Chris Henry gone for 8 games...you have no proven 3rd reciever.

There's no doubt that Chris Henry adds a whole nother dimension to passing game with his speed and size, but I think we have a lot of receivers who could do an adequated job replacing him. Antonio Chatman excelled in the slot position with Green Bay just a couple years ago...Tab Perry seems to be like a younger TJ...if healthy, Chris Perry can play slot receiver now that we've drafted Kenny Irons to back up Rudi in the running game...Reggie McNeal and Bennie Brazell have also showed promise, so I think we can find some production somewhere.

At some point your FO is going to have to look at a legit passcatching TE to take some pressure off of your two starting WR's....I would be up in arms for them not at least looking at that position in the draft this year.

This has been discussed a lot over the years in Bengaldom, but the organization has made it clear that their main emphasis on the TE position is blocking and not receiving. Last year our TE's combined for around 35 receptions which I think is acceptable given the Bengals philosophy. Reggie Kelly is an awesome blocker and can easily play fullback in the no-huddle offense. Palmer lobbied the Bengals to resign him, so he must be doing something right. I'm not upset that the Bengals haven't gone after a big time receiving TE, because he would just be under-utilized in the Bengals system.

Your LB corp used to be CRAZY with Odell and Pollack...but is only moderate now. You really need Odell to keep his hand out of the cookie jar.

Yeah, having Odell back would be awesome...he's a natural born leader at the MLB position. But, we've also got a lot of other young talented linebackers...Ahmad Brooks, Landon Johnson, Rashad Jeanty, Andre Frazier, and Eric Henderson is being moved to LB. Most of these guys are 2nd year players with the exception of Landon and should all make some large strides.

I look for O'Neal to have splinters in his butt by the end of the season if he shows up as casual as he did last year...and that leaves you with two young CB's who will take their lumps this year but will be good for your future.

That would certainly be no surprise. When O'Neal is on top of his game, he's one of the best corners in the league, but last year he didn't seem to be trying very hard out there. If he gets his game together, our secondary will be very promising. If not, Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph will have to mature very quickly.

tony hipchest
06-15-2007, 07:02 PM
well it sounds like every single young bengal back up is ready to push a starter out of a job. i suddenly feel alot better about our back up lb's (2 of which were the finest in this years draft), linemen, and wr's.

the ravens on the other thin are extremely thin, and have been plugging in alot of their quality depth into starters rolls. just like the bengals last year, they are an injury or 2 away from a 8-8 season.

revefsreleets
06-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Why isn't anyone questioning the off-field problems and internal implosions that the Bengals are famous for? There is a culture on the team that isn't just going to go away because they hope it will. There are too many ego's, and a FO that has lost control. The Bengals are never going to be more than playoff fodder for better organizations with classier and more mature players. Sorry, Bengals fans, but it's the truth.

CantStop85
06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Why isn't anyone questioning the off-field problems and internal implosions that the Bengals are famous for?

Why? Because, for the most part, it hasn't really affected the team on the field. Sure, Chris Henry and Odell Thurman have been suspended, but your core of players is still there. Let's look at some of the offenders: Eric Steinbach: gone, Matthias Askew: gone, AJ Nicholson: gone, Frostee Rucker: a training camp cut away from gone, Reggie McNeal: ditto. Odell Thurman and Chris Henry are on their last lives. The Bengals have already drafted Deltha O'Neal's replacements.

You're looking at maybe 3 of these guys still being on the team by the time the season starts. There's 50 other guys in that lockerroom that have been doing their jobs. Just because a few dumbasses steal the spotlight doesn't mean there's a culture of bad behavior.

For every Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, you have at least 3 or 4 David Pollack's or Willie Anderson's.

CantStop85
06-15-2007, 10:13 PM
well it sounds like every single young bengal back up is ready to push a starter out of a job. i suddenly feel alot better about our back up lb's (2 of which were the finest in this years draft), linemen, and wr's.

the ravens on the other thin are extremely thin, and have been plugging in alot of their quality depth into starters rolls. just like the bengals last year, they are an injury or 2 away from a 8-8 season.

This is true...of course you could say the same about just about any team. You saw the Ravens the year before last. With no Steve McNair, an oft-injured defense, they really couldn't establish much of anything. The Ravens are one injury to McNair or a couple on defense away from crashing back down to earth.

revefsreleets
06-15-2007, 10:17 PM
What about CJ? Punching a coach at halftime is not acceptable in championship teams locker rooms. And the fact that the Bengals, especially given all the glaring spotlights on them continue to give these guys chances sends a strong message to any future thugs that breaking the law is okay as long as you play well on the field. Face it, most of the guys you listed are off the team ONLY because the Bengals were forced to get rid of them. I know fans tend to turn a blind eye as much as they can, but this is getting out of hand. It must suck having to defend these guys over and over and over again, I'll give you that.

CantStop85
06-16-2007, 12:03 AM
What about CJ? Punching a coach at halftime is not acceptable in championship teams locker rooms. And the fact that the Bengals, especially given all the glaring spotlights on them continue to give these guys chances sends a strong message to any future thugs that breaking the law is okay as long as you play well on the field. Face it, most of the guys you listed are off the team ONLY because the Bengals were forced to get rid of them. I know fans tend to turn a blind eye as much as they can, but this is getting out of hand. It must suck having to defend these guys over and over and over again, I'll give you that.

What about CJ? I don't know what really happened in the locker room at halftime...but I'm sure he was pissed off. Which I don't really mind, because that at least shows that he cares about winning games, a lot more than can be said of some players. I don't really care what some anonymous source says he did or didn't do in a locker room. All I know is that he's probably the hardest working player on the team and has led the AFC in receiving the past 3 years.

Sure the Bengals have given players chances...but what do you expect? These are people that the organization has invested a lot of time and money into. Simply cutting some of these players would be the easy way out in a lot of cases. It's not like other teams haven't done it...the Steelers with Santonio Holmes, the Titans with Albert Haynesworth and Pac Man Jones, etc.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Why? Because, for the most part, it hasn't really affected the team on the field. Sure, Chris Henry and Odell Thurman have been suspended, but your core of players is still there. Let's look at some of the offenders: Eric Steinbach: gone, Matthias Askew: gone, AJ Nicholson: gone, Frostee Rucker: a training camp cut away from gone, Reggie McNeal: ditto. Odell Thurman and Chris Henry are on their last lives. The Bengals have already drafted Deltha O'Neal's replacements.

You're looking at maybe 3 of these guys still being on the team by the time the season starts. There's 50 other guys in that lockerroom that have been doing their jobs. Just because a few dumbasses steal the spotlight doesn't mean there's a culture of bad behavior.

For every Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, you have at least 3 or 4 David Pollack's or Willie Anderson's.

Come on now CS85...I appreciate your candor...but you just stated that Reggie McNeal is a training camp cut form being gone...bur preciously said McNeal shows "promise" in taking Henry's place....:hunch:

The truth behind the Bengals problems is obviously not talent..but in the "arbitrary precision" of Coach Marvin Lewis. He states to the media that these "people are going to be held accountable"...but privately posts in the locker room all the players in all sports who have been in trouble for the week...thereby minimizing the bengals players actions.
He states in the middle of the crises that "Odell wont be asked back"....then when everything dies down he says that Odell is a part of the team.

The truth is that Lewis is barely a +.500 coach...and has sold the Bengals soul to the devil for one winning season, and a 27-22 record of exaggerated mediocrity. He has simply exchanged the "Bungles" label to an embarrassing headline example of what is wrong in pro sports.

With the talent level that you have in Cincy....The best addition to your team would be a players coach who is a straight shooter.

Start the campaign CS85!!!!

tony hipchest
06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
The truth behind the Bengals problems is obviously not talent..but in the "arbitrary precision" of Coach Marvin Lewis. He states to the media that these "people are going to be held accountable"...but privately posts in the locker room all the players in all sports who have been in trouble for the week...thereby minimizing the bengals players actions.
He states in the middle of the crises that "Odell wont be asked back"....then when everything dies down he says that Odell is a part of the team.

The truth is that Lewis is barely a +.500 coach...and has sold the Bengals soul to the devil for one winning season, and a 27-22 record of exaggerated mediocrity. He has simply exchanged the "Bungles" label to an embarrassing headline example of what is wrong in pro sports.

With the talent level that you have in Cincy....The best addition to your team would be a players coach who is a straight shooter.

!!marv obviously learned everything he knows from the brain billick:

As the Ravens wrapped up their final minicamp yesterday, the club asked for two commitments from its players over their six weeks of vacation: Stay in shape and stay out of trouble. Considering NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's crackdown on misbehavior, the Ravens know off-the-field problems could detract from another playoff run. "Nothing good ever happens after midnight," Ravens coach Brian Billick told his players. "I know that isn't going to keep some of you from going, but at the very least, I hope you feel guilty about it."

:huh: :wtf:

revefsreleets
06-18-2007, 06:18 PM
That was a great post Lambert. I understand why fans defend their team and stuff, but I also remember reading on more then one Steelers board a lot of angry posters who wanted Santonio Holmes cut for his alleged indiscretions, and he didn't even do anything! The Bengals have a team (still) filled with criminals and their fans are bending over backwards to defend them. I guarantee that Steelers fans would be calling for the heads of most of the troublemakers on the Bengals team if they were somehow actually drafted or acquired by the Steelers. It's just a different culture altogether.

Tankus_Maximus
06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
That was a great post Lambert. I understand why fans defend their team and stuff, but I also remember reading on more then one Steelers board a lot of angry posters who wanted Santonio Holmes cut for his alleged indiscretions, and he didn't even do anything! The Bengals have a team (still) filled with criminals and their fans are bending over backwards to defend them. I guarantee that Steelers fans would be calling for the heads of most of the troublemakers on the Bengals team if they were somehow actually drafted or acquired by the Steelers. It's just a different culture altogether.

Truer words have never been spoken...errr posted.