PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite All Time Steeler Team?

RodWoodson26
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
I have been a member for about 8 months now ,but usually i just read everyones post.

What is your favorite all time Steeler team? It doesnt have to be a Super Bowl team ,it could be any Steeler team.

Id have to go with the 1994 Steelers. That was the most heartbreaking loss i have ever had to take as a Steeler fan ,but that was my All Time favorite Steeler team. Woodson ,Lake ,Perry ,Lloyd ,Greene ,Ray Seals ,Buckner ,Chad Brown. That was a awesome defense.

That was before Rod Woodson's knee injury that he suffered in 1995 Week 1 vs Detroit. Woodson was in his prime ,and i was looking forward to the matchup vs Jerry Rice in the Super Bowl that year. We just couldn't get by the mistakes and penalties in that AFC title game. We moved the ball and put up yardage with ease ,but to many mistakes and having to settle for field goals. They should have won that game 27-10.

HometownGal
06-14-2007, 03:31 PM
The 2005 Steelers. To make a run like they did, go all the way to the big game and win it as handily as they did (the score doesn't even come close to showing how dominant they were over the Waahawks) was short of miraculous! It showed me clearly that this team was determined to win that Lombardi and wasn't going to be denied. :tt02: :cheers:

SteelCzar76
06-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Id have to go with the 1994 Steelers. That was the most heartbreaking loss i have ever had to take as a Steeler fan ,but that was my All Time favorite Steeler team. Woodson ,Lake ,Perry ,Lloyd ,Greene ,Ray Seals ,Buckner ,Chad Brown. That was a awesome defense.

Well said. :cheers: Though for me it's a 'toss up' between our 94,95, and 2005 units. Being born in 76 i was'nt able to truely grasp the greatness of our Dynasty units then. (So this is no slap in the face to them)

But for me the players whom will always stand out in my best Steeler memories were not only the ones you already mentioned. But also guys like Bussy, Yancey Thigpen, Merril Hodge, Eric Green and Kirk. (Again,...along with the 2005 roster,...if simply because they defied the 'odds' ) :helmet:

The Duke
06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
The 2005 Steelers. To make a run like they did, go all the way to the big game and win it as handily as they did (the score doesn't even come close to showing how dominant they were over the Waahawks) was short of miraculous! It showed me clearly that this team was determined to win that Lombardi and wasn't going to be denied. :tt02: :cheers:

I agree, for a team to show the energy and passion for winning this team had they are clearly an all time great team.

fansince'76
06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Even though they fell short that year, the '76 Steelers is my all-time favorite. I was eight years old and just starting to play football and develop an understanding of the game at the time, and everyone on that team seemed larger than life. Very special memories for me.

Edman
06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
The 2005 Steelers. I wasn't alive during the dynasty years, so I had no feeling what it was like to root for a championship team. I had to deal with the many AFCC heartbreaks and I always dreamt of one day the Steelers finally winning the big one.

People say these Steelers were a team that "just got hot at the right time". This may be true, but they also started out the season 7-2. They lost some close games to the Rats and Patriots. Tommy Madsux threw away another to the Faguars, and we basically gave the Bungles the second game. The Colts game on MNF was the game we truly lost that year. This Steeler team was better than people gave credit for. If Ben stays healthy, they win 12-13 games. But what's done is done.

2005 was filled with memorable Steelers games. The Bears game, Willie Parker's breakout, Jerome's last home game, the upset win over the Dolts, spanking the Bungles and watching their fans whine...It was all good. That Steeler team was on a mission. They were sick of being the bridesmaid and wanted to win. They did something that no previous SB Champ had done before(Not the '85 Bears, not the '80's 49ers, the 90's Cowboys, not the Pats Dynasty, not even Steelers 70's teams): Win all three playoff games on the road in hostile environments (pretty handily I might add) and win the Super Bowl. That's something to take notice when talking about championship teams. They did something special and historic that we may not see again.

ChronoCross
06-14-2007, 05:52 PM
1976 Steelers, was probably the best ever in the 70's. Injuries plagued the RB core of Harrison and Blier to hurt the run threw the playoffs. Both RBs had over 1000 yards each that season. Even Bradshaw and Stallworth had injury problems. If we stayed healthy we would have 6 Lombardi's now.

2005 Steelers just totally great, determination, did something no other team has done in history.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Well that 94 defense is my favorite defense of alltime....I loved that 94 Blitzburgh defense.....But my favorite team is the 2005 team....I was born in 79 so no I didn't experience the Steel Curtain era......Ok I was 8 months when the Steelers beat the Rams in the Super Bowl....I don't remember that game to well.....lol Only the highlight films....

But the 94 team is my second favorite team.....

vader29
06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
The 2005 team is probably my favorite also. It will probably be a long time before we see another team play like they did on the road in the playoffs.

Atlanta Dan
06-14-2007, 07:23 PM
1976 Steelers - they started 1-4, at which point Bradshaw gets injured, and proceeded to break off a 9 game regular season winning streak based on incomprehensibly great D and Mike Kruczek at QB for most of the games.

In addition, they also played one of the most entertaining regular season Steelers games I ever watched, a 7-3 win at Cincinnati in a snowstorm the Sunday after Thanksgiving that they had to win to avoid elimination.

They would have won it all, but the Colts busted up Franco's ribs in a blowout 40-14 playoff win (it was not that close) and with Bleier also injured they had no running game for the Raiders the next week.

Lambert and The Chief both said that was the best of the 70s Steelers teams.

LambertIsGod58
06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
The 1976 Steelers team was my favorite...most everyone that played during the 70's era said the '76 was the best team of all. I can still remember Lambert being injured on a play. The medical staff was trying to take a look and he swung his arm at them basically saying "get the f*** away from me". That was Lambert's personna.

LambertIsGod58
06-14-2007, 07:30 PM
BTW...only 28 points allowed in the last 9 games. 5 of those 9 games were shutouts. Never see that again. The Steelers D was so dominant at the time, they had to change the rules to make the other teams competitive.

Atlanta Dan
06-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Here is a summary of the 9-0 run

The greatest defensive streak of all time was the Pittsburgh Steelers streak in 1976, which started when their squad was 1-4. This is how those Steelers rattled off nine in a row.

Week 6: Steelers 23-6 Bengals
Week 7: Steelers 27-0 Giants
Week 8: Steelers 23-0 Chargers
Week 9: Steelers 45-0 Chiefs
Week 10:Steelers 14-3 Dolphins
Week 11 Steelers 32-16 Oilers
Week 12 Steelers 7- 3 Bengals
Week 13 Steelers 42- 0 Bucs
Week 14 Steelers 21- 0 Oilers

That finished the end of the 14-game season for Pittsburgh, who turned a 1-4 start into a 10-4 playoff team. In that streak, the Steelers pitched five shutouts. The Steelers played some good teams (shutting out future Hall of Famer Dan Fouts) and some bad teams (after defeating the expansion Buccaneers, defensive end Dwight White said, "I'd like to think we could beat them if we gave them the playbook."):sofunny:

bettis36
06-14-2007, 08:06 PM
That is a very tough question. I loved the Steelers from 1974-1979 because of the Steel Dynasty but I also liked the 1972 Steelers. They made the playoffs for the first time since 1947 and that playoff game was the one with the Immaculate Reception in it.

Stlrs4Life
06-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Even thought they fell short that year, the '76 Steelers is my all-time favorite. I was eight years old and just starting to play football and develop an understanding of the game at the time, and everyone on that team seemed larger than life. Very special memories for me.

With out a doubt, the '76 Steelers!

LambertLunatic
06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Being an old geezer, of course I'm going to say the '76 Steelers. Since the scores of the 9 game winning streak already shows the dominance of the defense, I'm going to mention how close we came to not making the playoffs that year.

After week 5, we were 3 games behind the bengals. Believe it or not, the bengals were a really good team back then, and they had a cake schedule, so everyone knew that we had to win the remaining 9 games (2 against cinci, which would put us down by 1 game) and still hope for help. It seemed as if every week, cinci would be behind in their game, only to come back in the 4th quarter. By week 14 (last game of the season) cinci was still 1 game ahead. Though they were playing Oakland (very possibly the 2nd best team in NFL history), there was concern that the raiders (who already clinched their division) would throw the game just to avoid meeting the Steelers again in the playoffs. Had the raiders thrown that game, the Steelers would have actually missed the playoffs that year.

Smashmouth225
06-17-2007, 02:20 PM
The '95 or '96 team (which ever one lost to Dallas in the SB) was my favorite. I loved our D w/ ALL world Rod, Carnell Lake, Levon Kirkland and Kevin Green. We was loaded to bad O'Donnell sold us out. I don't know which game i was sickest from that SB loss or the 15-1 loss to the Patriots. I got big love for both of these squads. They both deserved a Lombardi trophy.

Newzfoxjr
06-17-2007, 02:23 PM
2005 Steelers. That team was so full of spirit, plus I was actually alive when they won the Super Bowl...so yeah. o_O

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
2005. That season, a childhood dream came true. It was to see the Steelers win a Super Bowl whether I was there at the game or not. (I was not there)

troylambertswann
06-30-2007, 12:13 AM
1978...Bradshaw...Swann...Lambert...Stallworth...F ranco...Mean Joe....Rocky Bleir....Mike Webster,
Blount...L.C...Noll....

You can't beat that team...

2nd..I would have to say...

2005...Polamalu...Big Ben...Porter....Hines..THE BUS!!! aka Jerome Bettis...Fast Willie Parker...
Faneca...(he wasn't whining back then)...Taylor...Cowher....

Elvis
06-30-2007, 05:22 PM
2005. That season, a childhood dream came true. It was to see the Steelers win a Super Bowl whether I was there at the game or not. (I was not there)
My thoughts exactly...
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Elvis
06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
BTW...only 28 points allowed in the last 9 games. 5 of those 9 games were shutouts. Never see that again. The Steelers D was so dominant at the time, they had to change the rules to make the other teams competitive.
:tt02::tt02::tt02:
I just love being a "Black N Gold " fan!!!
:thumbsup:

Mosca
06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Guys,

I was in my 20's during the '70s, and I loved all those teams, especially the '78 and '79 teams, and of course the '76 team.

BUT. My all time favorite hasn't been mentioned... where are the props, where is the love for the 2004 team that went 15-1 regular season and brought back the glory? Who can forget back-to-back blowouts of the undefeated Eagles and Patriots? And the exhilaration of Big Ben's play as he took command of the team as a rookie, and played as if he didn't know what losing was? And Porter and Polamalu perhaps both in their finest seasons so far?

The '05 team was great; but the '04 team, they were a blast.

Tom

The Duke
06-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Guys,

I was in my 20's during the '70s, and I loved all those teams, especially the '78 and '79 teams, and of course the '76 team.

BUT. My all time favorite hasn't been mentioned... where are the props, where is the love for the 2004 team that went 15-1 regular season and brought back the glory? Who can forget back-to-back blowouts of the undefeated Eagles and Patriots? And the exhilaration of Big Ben's play as he took command of the team as a rookie, and played as if he didn't know what losing was? And Porter and Polamalu perhaps both in their finest seasons so far?

The '05 team was great; but the '04 team, they were a blast.

Tom

I would have chosen them, but it always brings bad memories of how it ended:crying02:. But you're right, it was definitely an excellent team and is worth mentioning in the all time steelers team. I hope the team has that fire to win like that again this season.

Mosca
07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I would have chosen them, but it always brings bad memories of how it ended:crying02:. But you're right, it was definitely an excellent team and is worth mentioning in the all time steelers team. I hope the team has that fire to win like that again this season.

The '04 team was young and was overwhelmed by the enormity of what they were about to do, just like the '72 (Immaculate Reception) team was. The Immaculates lost the next year; the '05 team won.

I still see the pundits as wrong, and this team is going to keep the Steelers tradition of playing at the top of the NFL alive for years to come. The league is too fractious now to predict championships; all we can predict is a high caliber of play, and there's no doubt in my mind we will see that for years to come.

Tom

Steelers
07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
2005 easily. I'm actually watching Super Bowl XL on DVD right now, lol.

The team chemistry was unparalleled. ARE's TD pass, Big Ben's tackle, Vanderjadt's missed FG, Troy's near-INT, the WE DEY! chant, the game being in Bettis' hometown, being the only 6th seed to EVER do it.

That season was pure, unadulterated magic to me. Could've come straight from a Hollywood movie.

Crushzilla
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I still see the pundits as wrong, and this team is going to keep the Steelers tradition of playing at the top of the NFL alive for years to come. The league is too fractious now to predict championships; all we can predict is a high caliber of play, and there's no doubt in my mind we will see that for years to come.

True. If anything the 2005 team just silenced the critics that this generation of Steelers is incapable of getting over the hump. With Cowher coming close so many times it was surely a relief for him to finally win it. Too bad it meant a year of mediocrity in return...

verks36
07-01-2007, 10:44 PM
since i wasnt alive for the 70s for me i would have to 2005

going to super bowl XL was a great experince for and i am exteremly lucky that the steelers have won a super bowl in my lifetime

withe randel el and all that tickery and we were really hungry and had a type of swagger on that team

Kaeg
07-03-2007, 09:08 PM
There's alot that deserve to be listed here. I may swing the way of the 2004 Steelers as a couple others did though. 15-1 was just awesome. I think even though it didn't end as well as we wanted, I think it may have made the team realize how good they really were. So the next year they decided to just take it from there.

P.S. I hate the Patriots.

Hobbes
07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Man this is tough to choose. I would have narrow it down to:
1978. Coming off a subpar (for them) 77 season they go 14-2 and a Super Bowl win against the hated Cowboys.
A close second would be the 2005 team, a #6 sead, winning 3 playoff games on the road :tt02: