PDA

View Full Version : Pete Prisco's Top 50 Current Football Players

Livinginthe past
06-15-2007, 09:11 AM
I thought id draw Steeler-nation's attention to another 'power ranking' from the talented sports journalist Prisco.

Top 10.

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts: You'd be hard-pressed to find people -- outside the Boston area, that is -- who would argue about him owning this spot now.

2. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots: He's just a hair behind Manning. Look out now, though, with all those receivers on the roster. This could be a special year for Brady.

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego Chargers: He's a sensational all-round weapon. If he plays long enough, he might break all the rushing records.

4. Champ Bailey, CB, Denver Broncos: He is the best defensive player in the league. You can compare him to Deion Sanders, which is high praise.

5. Carson Palmer, QB, Cincinnati Bengals: It took him a little while to get going after the knee injury, but he had another big year. He's right below Manning and Brady.

6. Walter Jones, T, Seattle Seahawks: You can always count on this guy to play at a Pro Bowl level. He's on his way to the Hall of Fame.

7. Chad Johnson, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: Along with Palmer, they make up the best of the young pass-catching duos in the league. Johnson really elevated his game in the second half of the 2006 season.

8. Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego Chargers: Getting 17 sacks in 12 games is dominance. He comes off the edge with force. Is the sack record possible? You bet.

9. Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers: He's only 27, which means he's just now reaching his peak. He has the tools to be a 16-sack guy every year. He can also play the run.

10. Brian Urlacher, LB, Chicago Bears: A few years ago, he was more reputation than production. Not anymore. He is now a dominant middle linebacker.

What you guys will probably notice (pretty quickly) is that there is no room for a single Pittsburgh player in the Top 50 - not even Troy Polamalu.

Although Pete does make room for two Bengals in the top 7!! (Carson and Chad)

More disrespect for the Steelers 2007 Revenge Tour!

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10225498

tony hipchest
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
lemme guess. the other 40 are made up of ravens.

silver & black
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Kind of hard to believe Polomalu isn't in there. He is the best in the league at what he does, in my opinion.

Woo hoo! Nnamdi made it!

stlrtruck
06-15-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm suppose to believe that not 1 player on our roster is worth a top 50 in the league. I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here on two things...

1. Prisco lost money on SB XL
2. Prisco hates the Steelers so bad he'd rather kiss a goat then admit they have talent

PAMillerGrrl83
06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Haters and disrespect..you people just wait.

verks36
06-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow the jets scrub saftey made it over Troy what a joke

and how in the world can you put frank gore at 21 and not even put willie on the made it close list. Willie gets no respect.

What about Ward???

Kermit
06-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother reading Prisco's junk...

The list is horrible, and that's not even counting the snub against Pittsburgh.

Andre Johnson ahead of Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt? Please -- Johnson is good, but he's got a long way to go before he can be called the second best receiver in the league. (And Ocho Cinco listed as the best? Bah!)

Where's Shaun Alexander? Was his injury so bad that Prisco doesn't feel like fawning all over him now?

And isn’t it odd that all of the Pro Bowl RBs (not counting Tiki, due to retirement) made it on the list, except for Fast Willie?

I could go on, but you get the point. ;p

Faneca, Polamalu, Parker and Hampton definitely deserved a spot.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Any list that like this that does not include Troy Polamalu,Alan Faneca,Willie Parker,or Casey Hampton is a complete joke.

You cannot tell me that Sean Taylor is a better saftey than Troy.Just look at the body of work!

Not to mention Marcus Stroud making the list over Casey Hampton.When's the last time Strud even played an entire 16-game season due to injuries?

polamalufan43
06-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow, what a joke...

Even if I was a fan of any other team, I would still say that Hines, Troy, Casey, and Willie should be somewhere on that list. Wow...this guy has to be be brownieland/whodeyland...

~PF43:tt02:

ben2hines=6
06-16-2007, 07:13 PM
what a joke, this is the kinda internet shit i see that makes me never have any faith in "experts"

RoethlisBURGHer
06-17-2007, 01:03 AM
If you want experts,ask the fans.

Titans666
06-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the world of The Titans.. Always overlooked always ignored..

tony hipchest
06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the world of The Titans.. Always overlooked always ignored..however the steelers have a roster full of young superbowl champions. the titans have chris hope, and a pats reject wr. vince young would make a top 50 list of players with 2 or less seasons under their belt. bullock is good but definitely not top 50. pac man wouldnt even be top 100 with his problems. comparing steelers left off this list to titans is apples and oranges. theres a reason there are no titans recognized.

Newzfoxjr
06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
At worst, Troy and Willie should be on there.

CantStop85
06-17-2007, 05:27 PM
however the steelers have a roster full of young superbowl champions. the titans have chris hope, and a pats reject wr. vince young would make a top 50 list of players with 2 or less seasons under their belt. bullock is good but definitely not top 50. pac man wouldnt even be top 100 with his problems. comparing steelers left off this list to titans is apples and oranges. theres a reason there are no titans recognized.

What about Rob Bironas? He kicked a 60 yard field goal. :sofunny:

klick81
06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I like it better this way :smile: From past experience, Steelers FLOURISH when they're ignored or disrespected. Last year these so called 'experts' kept on pickin us to win...look what happened.

tony hipchest
06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
What about Rob Bironas? He kicked a 60 yard field goal. :sofunny::dang:

how could i forget that? lol. i guess it was overshadowed by tampa bays scrub kicking the game winner vs. phil.

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Prisco is a joke. Hines and Troy should be on that list. Donovan McNabb on the list is a JOKE! How about Zach "I don't do my campaigning on the football field and I have to bitch and whine" Thomas. Another one that shouldn't be on the list.

Prisco, try a more UN-biased poll next time.

Edman
06-18-2007, 02:41 AM
however the steelers have a roster full of young superbowl champions. the titans have chris hope, and a pats reject wr. vince young would make a top 50 list of players with 2 or less seasons under their belt. bullock is good but definitely not top 50. pac man wouldnt even be top 100 with his problems. comparing steelers left off this list to titans is apples and oranges. theres a reason there are no titans recognized.

When a user by the name "Stoolers4Ever" speaks anything about the Steelers on a Steelers fansite, it's very, very hard to take that person seriously.

Preacher
06-18-2007, 04:52 AM
You know...

It is what it is...

And for all the reputations, preening, caterwauling, etc. that people do...

We are the best in the modern NFL. Period.

The only one that could possible touch us is Dallas... Who cares about a silly list.