PDA

View Full Version : WOOT! Go Passion!

Edman
06-15-2007, 08:11 PM
7-0 and dominating the league!

Okay, so it's a women's football team, and they don't get as much attention as the Steelers, and you may find it strange, but check them out when you can. As a guy, I think it's cool and interesting to see how women play football for once. Plus, they're kicking the crap out of their competition so far. Just like the Steel Curtain back in the 70's. Just look at those scores!

http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/

Here's another note: They've been playing since 2002, so they're not exactly some gimmick first-year expansion team. The NWFA(The league they play in) is now in it's 7th season. Not bad! The Passion even have a division rival team from Cleveland, who ironically share the same team colors as the Clowns.

Crushzilla
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey I'm down with it.

#31 Kelly Stoner.

Go Passion

83-Steelers-43
06-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I would never pay to watch it, but congratulations to them and I wish them the best of luck.

wiqidjuggalo
06-16-2007, 01:49 AM
#93 Kristy Salzman ia my cousin and shes a rookie and from what i have seen she made some big plays during this season!!!! GO CUZ and GO Passion!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy
06-16-2007, 08:15 AM
http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/images/players/beauchamp_2006.gif

HometownGal
06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
My ENT's right hand, Michelle Brevard (#43), has played with the Passion for several years and is a DB. I see that my doctor sponsors her! :thumbsup:She's a tough cookie, but one of the sweetest gals I've ever known!

http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/images/players/wilkerson_2006.gif

Crushzilla
06-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Not to belittle what they are doing... but most of the DB's are hot...

LarryNJ
06-17-2007, 06:24 AM
but most of the DB's are hot...

I think it's the hair hanging from below the helmet. :smile:

Looks like they are more than winning, they are really crushing everyone. Good for them!

Edman
06-17-2007, 10:53 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5347744819926749651&hl=en

This is a Passion documentary from last year about their 2005 season. It's pretty inspirational and should tell you what these women go through. If you think it's some kind of a joke, it isn't.

With the Pirates still stinking, and the Steelers and Penguins out of season, I say this is a pretty good alternative for fun sports entertainment for those long Steelers offseasons. It's real football, but with girls.

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 10:39 AM
#93 Kristy Salzman ia my cousin and shes a rookie and from what i have seen she made some big plays during this season!!!! GO CUZ and GO Passion!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully your cousin is having a good year.

wiqidjuggalo
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Hopefully your cousin is having a good year.

she had 3 pancakes in the game saturday so she was pretty pumped! not to mention she is a police officer for 3 different towns in the Mon Valley.

wiqidjuggalo
06-18-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/images/photoHomeMarch42007.gif

April 14 BYE
April 21 Cleveland
(Win 23-14)
April 28 @ Cincinnati
(Win 62-7)
May 5 @ Central PA
(Win 52-0)
May 12 Philadelphia
(Win 53-7)
May 19 BYE
May 26 @ Cleveland
(Win 40-18)
June 2 Cincinnati
(Win 55-7)
June 9 @ Philadelphia
(Win 40-0)
June 16 Central PA
(Win 77-0)

The Pittsburgh Passion completed an undefeated regular season by stomping on the Vipers 77-0. Next up the Playoffs.

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 02:27 PM
she had 3 pancakes in the game saturday so she was pretty pumped! not to mention she is a police officer for 3 different towns in the Mon Valley.

Uh oh. What you gonna do if she come for you for doing something illegal. :sofunny:

PisnNapalm
06-18-2007, 02:47 PM
ummm... I didn't even know Pittsburgh had a female football team.
http://www.bomberboys.com/Smilies/jawdrop.gif

Atleast they're wearing the right colors. :wink02:

wiqidjuggalo
06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Uh oh. What you gonna do if she come for you for doing something illegal. :sofunny:

HAHAHAHAHA if i ever did anything illegal i wouldnt have to worry becuz shes not an officer in my town...LOL

SteelCityMan786
06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
HAHAHAHAHA if i ever did anything illegal i wouldnt have to worry becuz shes not an officer in my town...LOL

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

wiqidjuggalo
06-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Just a quick update!

National Women's Football: Passion to make playoff debut tomorrow night

Friday, June 22, 2007
By Tyler Batiste, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As the Pittsburgh Passion prepare for the franchise's first playoff game tomorrow night against the Erie Illusion, some players can't help but look back at how much things have changed in the past five years.
The Passion joined the National Women's Football Association in March 2002. Wide receiver Jennifer Moody vividly remembers the atmosphere in the franchise's first season being vastly different from the team's demeanor in 2007, when the Passion finished the regular season 8-0.

"The first year there was a lot of newness and excitement and people getting to know each other," Moody said. "We've definitely come a long way in five years."

The uneasiness among teammates and coaches is definitely a thing of the past. Also a thing of the past is the feeling of regular-season triumph, followed by postseason rejection.

The Passion has posted four consecutive winning seasons but only has its playoff appearance tomorrow to show for it. Records of 6-2, 5-3 and 5-3 produced no postseason contests, but an undefeated season and Northern Conference Central Division title this season have the Passion feeling nearly invincible going into the weekend.

"We're not overconfident, but we're confident," Moody said. "If I had to anticipate, [I think] it's going to be a nice weekend for us."

"I feel like our coaches have prepared us well," free safety Teresa Conn said. "The high we're on right now, I feel pretty good."

Conn has the unique advantage of enjoying the team's success from the field and the front office. In addition to recovering fumbles and deflecting passes in the secondary, she also has been the team owner since 2003.

Several other members of the Passion have full-time jobs in fields such as social work, youth counseling and medical assistance, and Moody said success has come from team members realizing the game is a bit more than just a recreational experience.

"It's definitely a strong commitment we have to make in terms of balancing things like family and careers," she said.

Conn agreed, saying the payoff of a possible title in a few weeks is enough motivation.

"It gets to be a lot, but we balance it because it's worth it to us," she said.

The Passion will have to finish 12-0 if it plans on celebrating a championship July 21 in Nashville.

"We have our heads set pretty straight," Conn said. "Of course we have the goal of winning the championship, but we have to take care of every game that leads to that."

Edman
06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Just read about it today! I'm stoked!

Goooooo PASSION! Make us proud, girls! :tt02:

HometownGal
06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I was at my doctor's office today and spoke with Michelle - she's totally pumped about tomorrow night's game at South High's Stadium! I'm going to try to get to the game so I can see these warriors (and Michelle) in action!

GO PASSION! :banana:

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Good Luck to the Passion.

Edman
06-22-2007, 07:47 PM
The city is starting to take notice. June 23rd is Pittsburgh Passion day.

http://www.pittsburghpassion.com/newsarchive/2007/newsjune18.shtml

wiqidjuggalo
06-23-2007, 02:01 AM
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Passion defeated the Central PA Vipers late Saturday to complete the regular season with a perfect record of 8 -- 0, win the Central Division, and qualify for playoffs for the first time. Currently seeded #2 in the Northern Conference of the National Women's Football Association, the Passion will host a home playoff game against Erie on Saturday, June 23rd, at Cupples Stadium on the South Side at 7pm. A win would bring another home game, then the semifinals. The NWFA championship is July 21st in Nashville, Tenn.

Launching the playoff bid, Tuesday, June 19th, at 10:00am, Pittsburgh City Council will host the team for a proclamation to declare the first round of playoffs, June 23rd 2007, Pittsburgh Passion Day in the city of Pittsburgh. Press are invited to attend at the City Council Building, 5th floor, 414 Grant Street, in downtown Pittsburgh.

"I am thrilled to see another Pittsburgh sports dynasty on the rise," said Pittsburgh City Council President Doug Shields. "These athletes are one more dynamic example of what it means to be a Pittsburgher - they are committed to excellence in the community as well as on the field."

The Passion is a licensed team in the NWFA

Edman
06-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Passion stomp the Erie Illusion 63-7! Woohooo!! :tt02: :banana:

On to the second round!

fansince'76
06-23-2007, 09:52 PM
It looks like the Passion owned tonight - they won 63-7 against the Erie Illusion in their 1st round NWFA playoff game: http://www.womensfootballassociation.com/Schedule.html (all the way at the bottom). They play the Western Michigan Mayhem at home in the 2nd round on June 30.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
WOOO HOO! Go Passion. Does anyone know if they play at Cupples Field? or do they play at another stadium.

HometownGal
06-24-2007, 07:52 PM
WOOO HOO! Go Passion. Does anyone know if they play at Cupples Field? or do they play at another stadium.

Yes, Matt - they play at Cupples Stadium which used to be South Stadium right at the corner of East Carson and 10th Street. They moved there last season from Rubenstein Stadium in Ambridge.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, Matt - they play at Cupples Stadium which used to be South Stadium right at the corner of East Carson and 10th Street. They moved there last season from Rubenstein Stadium in Ambridge.

That's what I thought. I knew the City League played there(I traveled their for a High School Football Playoff game last fall, the toughest one since my brother lost in the District 6 championship game his senior year.)

wiqidjuggalo
06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
National Women's Football: Inspired Passion eager to continue playoff run

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Judging from a quick glance at the final score and stat sheet, it doesn't seem like the Pittsburgh Passion's contest Saturday against the Erie Illusion was any different than the team's previous eight games this season.

But, beneath the surface, the victory was anything but ordinary.

The weekend matchup presented the Passion with its first postseason appearance in team history, and it took full advantage of that opportunity, drubbing the Illusion, 63-7, and going from postseason newcomers to championship contenders in the process.

The Passion topped the 50-point plateau for the fifth time in nine games this season, while holding its opponent to fewer than 10 points for the seventh time.

Some players said they were surprised there was not a sense of nervousness before their first playoff performance.

Rather, they said, there was a feeling of eagerness and enthusiasm.

"There's always that calm excitement before a game," quarterback Lisa Horton said. "Being our first playoff game, I think [the excitement level] was up a notch or two."

Passion team owner and free safety Teresa Conn said she expects the atmosphere in the locker room to be vastly different Saturday when the Passion faces the West Michigan Mayhem. The game starts at 7 p.m. at Cupples Stadium.

"Each step closer you get, every game is going to carry its own intensity," Conn said. "There's no loser's bracket. You just have to hope you put in more time and effort than everyone else."

Time and effort have undoubtedly been contributing factors in the Passion's undefeated season but money might play a larger, unwanted role in the team's march to a National Women's Football Association (NWFA) championship.

Conn said the estimated travel costs for the semifinal and final rounds of the playoffs are about $50,000.

The team has had the assistance of several individual and team sponsors throughout the season, but Conn is seeking sponsorship to get the Passion through the remainder of the postseason.

Necessities such as uniforms and equipment have been financed by sponsors or by the players themselves. Conn isn't overly concerned about possible economic difficulties because she believes team members would be willing to sacrifice overnight stays and bus or airfare, if necessary.

"Even if the girls have to take their own cars, we'll get there," she said. "The girls will do whatever it takes."

If the NWFA's seedings hold true to form, the Passion will have to travel to Beverly, Mass., to face the Mass Mutiny, the Northern Conference's No. 1 seed, in the semifinals.

A victory in the semifinals would propel the Passion to the NWFA championship game July 21 in Nashville.

The Passion's four road games this season were in Cincinnati, suburban Harrisburg, Cleveland and Philadelphia.

Despite what could be some long hours of driving in the final two postseason rounds, Horton said she does not believe anyone will have a problem finding their own way to games.

"At the end of the day, if we put this much time into [the season], we'll drive," she said.

Before the Passion can fully focus its attention on the semifinals and all the financial uncertainty, it must first worry about the Mayhem, which has a 7-2 record and is coming off a 33-14 first-round win against the Baltimore Burn.

"I know that [the Mayhem is] an aggressive team that plays some different defensive looks," she said. "But our game plan isn't going to change that much because we've been effective with it."

NOTE -- Tickets for the playoff game Saturday will be available at the gate.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Alright

GO PASSION!

Edman
06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
"I know that [the Mayhem is] an aggressive team that plays some different defensive looks," she said. "But our game plan isn't going to change that much because we've been effective with it."

Remind you of anybody?

Good luck and GO Passion!

fansince'76
06-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Remind you of anybody?

Good luck and GO Passion!

Yep, but it's hard to argue when they've been pasting teams by 40-50 points or more all season. Go Passion! :cheer:

Edman
06-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Yep, but it's hard to argue when they've been pasting teams by 40-50 points or more all season. Go Passion! :cheer:

You do have a point there. Whatever they're doing is working and they haven't been stopped yet. Can't argue with that. :thumbsup:

wiqidjuggalo
06-29-2007, 09:26 AM
PASSION ADVANCE TO QUARTER FINALS!
In the team's first playoff game, the Pittsburgh Passion defeated the Erie Illusion late Saturday, 63 to 7, bringing the Passion 2007 undefeated run to 9 -- 0. From the first round, the team advances to the quarter-finals this Saturday, June 30th, at Cupples Stadium on the South Side. Pittsburgh will host West Michigan, kick-off at 7pm. The winner from there will move to the Semi-Finals.

All Pittsburghers are encouraged to join the team on the South Side this weekend in the chase for the championship. The Passion is a licensed team in the National Women's Football Association.

www.pittsburghpassion.com

Edman
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
The Big Game is in 2 hours. Go Passion!:tt02:

Let's do this! :jammin:

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2007, 08:58 PM
34-6. Geeze. League Championship might be coming.

Edman
06-30-2007, 11:19 PM
We Won! Not as dominating as the last game, but good enough!

The Passion play Stinkland(Cleveland) next week in the finals. Women's Football or Men's Football, Cleveland still sucks.

They even share the same colors as the Clowns, just like the Passion share with our Steelers.
http://www.clevelandfusion.com/

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
We Won! Not as dominating as the last game, but good enough!

The Passion play Stinkland(Cleveland) next week in the finals. Women's or Men's, Cleveland still sucks.

Cleveland now and forever more

is the MISTAKE BY THE LAKE!

wiqidjuggalo
07-01-2007, 10:32 AM
National Women's Football: Passion reach semis

Sunday, July 01, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Lisa Horton completed 10 of 18 passes for 195 yards and a touchdown, and also ran for two scores as the Pittsburgh Passion defeated the West Michigan Mayhem, 34-6, in the second round of the National Women's Football Association playoffs at Cupples Stadium on the South Side.

Lyndsi Hughes carried 13 times for 91 yards and two touchdowns, and Torina Henley rushed 18 times for 89 yards for the Passion.

The Passion advance to the semifinals to play the Cleveland Fusion Saturday at Cupples.

fansince'76
07-01-2007, 11:03 AM
They just keep on kicking butt. Go Passion!!! :jammin:

tony hipchest
07-01-2007, 11:59 AM
i was laughing when they showed a few highlights of this on sportscenter last night. in an attempt to make a joke and emphasize how good the western Pa. men and women are at playing football, the sportscaster said "even the dogs in western Pa play football".

it came across as him calling the women there dogs. doh! :dang:

Crushzilla
07-01-2007, 12:12 PM
it came across as him calling the women there dogs. doh! :dang:

Haha, I saw that.

Not to mention we are bringing up one of the best prospects near me in Jeannette...

Western PA has always bred sick QBs even when it comes to QBs of the future. Terrelle Pryor is going to be huge if he keeps his head on straight (and decides to keep playing QB).

wiqidjuggalo
07-04-2007, 11:35 PM
NWFA: Pittsburgh women's team faces Cleveland squad for conference title

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It is one of the most bitter rivalries in the NFL, but the grudge between the Steelers and Browns still has something missing -- the two teams have never faced each other in a conference championship game.

It has been a long time coming, but Pittsburgh and Cleveland finally will battle for a conference crown Saturday.

The title up for grabs isn't the AFC championship. It's for Northern Conference bragging rights in the National Women's Football Association.

The Pittsburgh Passion took care of business Saturday night at Cupples Stadium by defeating the West Michigan Mayhem, 34-6. The Passion (10-0), the No. 2 seed in the Northern Conference, also got a break when the Cleveland Fusion defeated the No. 1-seeded Mass Mutiny on the road Saturday, 12-7, to set up the third meeting between the Fusion and Passion.

The upset gave the Passion a home game for the conference final, which will start at 7 p.m. Saturday at Cupples Stadium.

While Cleveland's upset might have shocked some, especially the Mutiny, it didn't surprise some members of the Passion.

"I think we were preparing ourselves for either way," Passion receiver Jennifer Moody said. "Some of us were confident that Cleveland was going to win. It definitely works to our benefit, having our home field."

There's an axiom that says it's difficult to beat the same team three times in a season and, if that's the case, the Passion has a tough matchup if it wants to advance to the NWFA championship.

The Passion handed Cleveland its only two losses of the season, notching a 23-14 victory April 21 and a 40-18 win May 26.

Passion coach Ron Coder said he expects the Fusion's intensity to be magnified this weekend compared to the season's earlier matchups.

"They beat the No. 1 team in our conference, so I'm sure they're pretty fired up," he said.

"Beating Cleveland twice this season is great, but this is a whole new game," Moody said. "We can't go in with an overconfident attitude."

Cleveland opened the postseason with a 57-0 win against the Connecticut Crush. That impressive win had Coder believing a third home playoff game could be on the horizon.

"Based on what Cleveland did to Connecticut a week before, we knew Cleveland could beat Massachusetts," Coder said. "In our mind, we thought there was a good chance we'd be at home [this weekend]."

There were concerns the Passion would have to come up with approximately $50,000 to cover the travel costs of road games in the semifinal and final rounds of the playoffs.

With a home contest coming this weekend, the only traveling the Passion will have to undertake is a possible trip to Nashville, Tenn., for the NWFA championship July 21 against either the Columbus Comets or Oklahoma City Lightning.

Coder said having one less road game alleviates some of the pressure of financing travel costs, but the trip to Nashville still could be a burden for the team.

"I think the whole Nashville thing is going to be an expensive proposition for us," he said. "Probably what's going to happen is everyone is going to pay their own way down."

Edman
07-07-2007, 09:32 PM
IT'S A Season SWEEP!

Passion 49
Fusion 15

It's on to the National Championship Game! Wonderful Job by our Passion! :tt02: :banana:

Props to the Fusion women... but Cleveland sucks.

fansince'76
07-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Damn, beat me to it again, Edman. Another rout. I guess they'll play the winner of the game between the Columbus Comets and the OKC Lightning (tomorrow?) in Nashville for the championship on July 21! Go Passion!!!! :jammin: :banana: :jammin:

HometownGal
07-07-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm so proud of our girls! :cheers::banana: I'd give Michelle a hug when I see her at my doc's appointment next week, but she may forget she's off the field and put the squeeze on me - LOL!

GO PASSION!

tony hipchest
07-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm so proud of our girls! :cheers::banana: I'd give Michelle a hug when I see her at my doc's appointment next week, but she may forget she's off the field and put the squeeze on me - LOL!
sweet! please provide pics! :wink02::bouncy::banana:

stillers4me
07-08-2007, 08:06 AM
How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!! They even wear black and gold in the great tradition of sports excellence in the Burgh!!

I wish I lived in the area so I could see them play........you go girls!!! :tt02: :cheer: :jammin:

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Pittsburgh Passion Football

2007 NWFA Champions to be. No doubts in my book.

stillers4me
07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Pittsburgh Passion Football

2007 NWFA Champions to be. No doubts in my book.

No doubt about it!! Looks like they've been kickin' some girlie butt!!
I love their bumper sticker......"Our QB throws like a girl."

Maybe Big Ben can get some pointers from her........ :sofunny:

fansince'76
07-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Damn, beat me to it again, Edman. Another rout. I guess they'll play the winner of the game between the Columbus Comets and the OKC Lightning (tomorrow?) in Nashville for the championship on July 21! Go Passion!!!! :jammin: :banana: :jammin:

Looks like they're playing the Columbus Comets:

http://www.womensfootballassociation.com/

Pittsburgh Passion and Columbus Comets to meet in 2007 World Championship Game!

Passion beats Fusion 49-15

The Pittsburgh Passion earned the right to play in the Battle of the Best beating the Fusion. This is the first time the Passion has won the right to play in the World Championship Game. Passion RB Torina Henley and WR Wilma Walton scored 2TD's, RB Lyndsi Hughes and wide receivers Lori Johnson and Jenine Suprano added others. Passion QB, Lisa Horton had 179 yards passing. The Passion finishes the 2007 season with a perfect 11-0 record. CONGRATS to the Pittsburgh Passion players, coaches, staff and owners, Teresa Conn and Cheryl Primonato!

Comets beat Lightning 9-7

The Columbus Comets won a tough battle against the OKC Lightning in a game that saw both teams play top notch, hard hitting football. The Lightning who has played in the championship game before said the Comets deserved a lot of credit and the win. This is the first time the Comets have made it to the Championship Game and are to be congratuated for their success, having to play all of their playoff games on the road. The Comets end their 2007 season with a 9-2 record and will play in Nashville against the Pittsburgh Passion. CONGRATULATIONS to the Columbus Comets players, coaches, staff and owner Lori Davis!

Go Passion! :jammin: :banana: :jammin:

The Duke
07-08-2007, 12:16 PM
The Passion are kicking ass!! Do they get rings for winning the championship, either way is just another thing Cleveland or Cincinnati will never have :wink02:

fansince'76
07-08-2007, 01:13 PM
The Passion are kicking ass!! Do they get rings for winning the championship, either way is just another thing Cleveland or Cincinnati will never have :wink02:

It does look like they get rings if they win - I found this article about the "D.C. Divas," the team that won the NWFA championship last year:

http://www.gazette.net/stories/042607/laurspo161950_32323.shtml

Cooper, who has been the Divas’ only head coach since owner Paul Hamlin unveiled the team for the 2000 season, admitted that soon after the team received its championship rings on March 21 it was back to work.

I wonder if the Passion might also make the jump to the Independent Women’s Football League (IWFL) like the Divas did? It's pretty obvious after going over the NWFA schedule and looking at some of the scores of the games, the Passion really haven't had any competition in the NWFA, at least this year. The article also mentions the "Detroit Demolition" moving to the IWFL last year, and the Demolition were the NWFA champs for 3 straight years (2003-05) before making the jump - it appears safe to say that the IWFL is the more competitive of the two leagues.

NWFA Championship Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Women's_Football_Association#Championship _Games)

Edman
07-21-2007, 10:07 PM
After a few weeks of quiet news... A cool Passion story and video from Post-Gazette.com!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07200/802762-66.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07200/802897-66.stm

SteelCityMan786
07-21-2007, 10:20 PM
When is the game this week?

fansince'76
07-21-2007, 10:26 PM
When is the game this week?

7:00 PM tonight, Central Standard Time, so it should probably be over by now, but I haven't seen a score for the game yet.

The Duke
07-21-2007, 10:36 PM
On ther official site it says they won 34-0 against Columbus :cheer:

SteelCityMan786
07-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Congratulations to the 2007 Pittsburgh Passion The

2007 NATIONAL WOMEN'S FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONS

Final Score Pittsburgh 32, Columbus 0
(from KDKA)

Edman
07-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Undefeated. 12-0. NWFA Champions! Completely Undisputed.

Magnificent Job, Passion! This team deserves more media publicity in this town. Instead of constantly hearing how much the Pirates suck every summer, how about Pittsburgh hears about a winning team? :tt02:

fansince'76
07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Congratulations to the 2007 NWFA Champion Pittsburgh Passion! :jammin:

:party: :cheer: :chicken: :banana: :banana: :chicken: :cheer: :party:

http://www.rosemarycompany.com/media/LilyBouquetTableCenterpiece1.jpg

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Congratulations to them. But where in the hell is the competition? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them even though I've never seen them play a game, but watching 32-0, 54-2, 189-0 blowouts isn't exactly my idea of sports entertainment.

It seems to me the league needs more competition if they want the "love" and "respect" many feel they should automatically be given. Just my opinion. And for the record to the hardcore feminist groups out there who love making assumptions and jumping to conclusions, no I do not care if they are girls. I watch USA girls ice hockey all the time when it's on and I watch USA girls soccer if there's nothing else on sports-wise.

stillers4me
07-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Congratulations, ladies!!! We welcome you into the elite group of athletes representing the great city of Pittsburgh that are called "World Champions"!!!! You make us proud!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Congratulations/fireworks.jpg

stillers4me
07-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Passion win their first NWFA title
By JoAnne Klimovich Harrop
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 22, 2007

WHITE'S CREEK, Tenn. - There is another world championship football team in Pittsburgh.
The Pittsburgh Passion won the National Women's Football Association championship game Saturday night, defeating the Columbus Comets, 32-0, in front of 2,500 fans at White's Creek High School, outside Nashville.

It was the Passion's first title in franchise history, but the team was forced to endure a one-hour delay because of a power outage that plunged the stadium into almost total darkness at halftime.

Just as they had all season, the Passion (12-0) dominated every aspect of the game.

Running back Torina Henley, who has had two major knee surgeries and is not expected to return next season, scored the game's first two touchdowns.
The first -- a 3-yard run by Henley with 10:58 to play in the first quarter -- came at the end of the first possession. The score capped a seven-play, 64-yard drive.

Columbus took the kickoff and moved into Passion territory but was stopped on fourth down on a tackle behind the line of scrimmage by Passion lineman Olivia Griswold. The Passion then put together a 13-play drive for a second touchdown, a 6-yard run by Henley.

Columbus (9-3) drove again, but an interception by Passion safety Kellie Byers turned the ball over and fullback Lyndsi Hughes scored on a 6-yard run with 6:19 left in the first half. Quarterback Lisa Horton gave the Passion a 26-0 halftime lead with a 1-yard run.

It wasn't always that easy, however.

The Passion suffered through five seasons of moving from stadium to stadium, dealing with season-ending injuries, coaching changes and money problems. Players are not paid.

Before the start of the game, player/owner Teresa Conn said the players never lost sight of their goal of winning a championship.

"In past seasons, the timing wasn't right, but we felt we had everything this year," Conn said. "I am so glad this happened with this group of women. We had all the pieces and put them all together this season. It was not fun waiting five years for this, but it is definitely worth it. There are some players who aren't coming back next year, so for those players this means even more."

Passion coach Ron Coder said any time you win a championship, it is a special moment. And not just for the players.

"We as coaches -- this means a lot to us, too," he said. "What has happened this season has been special for all of us. We would have been disappointed had we lost. But we felt confident coming into that game that we were going to take care of business."

Horton said the players have felt many emotions preparing for the title game.

"We have stuck together through it all," she said. "And we achieved the ultimate goal. We have proven, if you stick together, you can do great things. We have had players who are playing injured who have come back this season because they wanted to help us win this championship. But that is the kind of character of the players on this team."

Mt. Pleasant graduate and tight end Sherry Kring said the feeling of winning a championship compares to her first football game and her first touchdown.

"I get goose bumps just thinking about those moments and this moment," she said. "It is a feeling that is hard to describe, but also one that I will never forget."

Plum's Beth Amato, a linebacker, said winning the title is "like a fairy tale."

"I have so many emotions going through my head right now," she said. "This being my last year, and playing with a sore shoulder and knee and ankle, but this makes it all worth it. Playing football is crazy, but I have loved every minute of it."

Lower Burrell resident Dana Horn said she has spent the past two weeks trying to envision what it would be like to be a champion.

"It has been such a long wait," she said. "This is a moment of happiness and team satisfaction. These are tears of joy, because I have never won a championship in any sport before this. I have never even played for a championship before this."

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 12:07 PM
And also for the record, my shot was not directed at the players. It's not their fault. My shot was directed towards a league which appears to me to have a serious problem when it comes to a level playing field which leads to a lack of entertainment. I just enjoy watching competitive sports, not blowouts. I know, it sounds crazy.

stillers4me
07-22-2007, 12:24 PM
And also for the record, my shot was not directed at the players. It's not their fault. My shot was directed towards a league which appears to me to have a serious problem when it comes to a level playing field which leads to a lack of entertainment. I just enjoy watching competitive sports, not blowouts. I know, it sounds crazy.

The women's league is in it's infancy stage and the players do not get paid. They are there for the love of the sport. Hopefully, time (and money) will let this league develop onto a bigger stage.

And on a side note........the coach for the Cincinnati Sizzle is none other than our old nemesis Icky Woods!!

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
The women's league is in it's infancy stage and the players do not get paid. They are there for the love of the sport. Hopefully, time (and money) will let this league develop onto a bigger stage.

And on a side note........the coach for the Cincinnati Sizzle is none other than our old nemesis Icky Woods!!

That's fine. I just don't see what money has to do with being able to put out a level playing field. Eitherway, I hope the league turns around and puts out a better product in years to come. ANYTHING beats watching the Pirates and since I do enjoy women's ice hockey, I'm sure I would enjoy the Passion. Just give me something worth my time. That's all.

fansince'76
07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
That's fine. I just don't see what money has to do with being able to put out a level playing field. Eitherway, I hope the league turns around and puts out a better product in years to come. ANYTHING beats watching the Pirates and since I do enjoy women's ice hockey, I'm sure I would enjoy the Passion. Just give me something worth my time. That's all.

Valid points, 83 - that's why I was wondering if the Passion might jump to the IWFL, which is where the last two NWFA championship teams moved to:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=263323#post263323

Edman
07-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Women's pro football in general is in it's early years. Of course there's going to be lopsided wins and unbalanced competition here and there. I bet the NFL had to deal with the same thing back in the 1920's. 83 has some valid points, though. Just give it time. It wasn't until recently that Women started playing football professional-wise.

Women's pro football has great potential to be big. It just needs to evolve.

HometownGal
07-22-2007, 06:39 PM
WOOT! Congrats to the Pittsburgh Passion. Yet another Champion in the Burgh! :banana:

I will see my buddy Michele on the 31st - she promised me that if the Passion won the championship, she would let me take some pics of her ring! I'll be sure to post 'em up! :thumbsup:

wiqidjuggalo
07-24-2007, 05:14 AM
I have to say CONGRATS PASSION on your victory and to my cousin Kristy Salzman #93 ROOKIE DL on her first AWESOME season ending the way it should!

Counselor
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Congrats Passion! That is so cool!

I have to say my husband and I have watched parts of a game or two on cable. He keeps pushing me to try out LOL!

I think its great they have the opportunity to play and I'm glad to see support on this forum.

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2007, 08:50 AM
WOOT! Congrats to the Pittsburgh Passion. Yet another Champion in the Burgh! :banana:

I will see my buddy Michele on the 31st - she promised me that if the Passion won the championship, she would let me take some pics of her ring! I'll be sure to post 'em up! :thumbsup:

That's good to hear.

One Pittsburgh Football team took the throne as the Queen of Women's Football. THE KING'S CORONATION IS NEXT!