PDA

View Full Version : Ben has a lot of critics to silence this year.

Edman
06-16-2007, 10:08 AM
The top three Ben Roethlisberger myths haters use to say he's not a good QB.

1) Last Year
2) "He had a great team built around him, he can't win by himself"
3) "He had crappy stats in the Super Bowl"

You know, I really can't wait for this year. Please, Ben. Shut everyone up.

The Duke
06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
He will shut them up, as long as he keeps turnovers to a minimum and stays healthy.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-16-2007, 10:19 AM
As long as the offensive line remembers how to pass-block,he should have an excellent season.

polamalufan43
06-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree.
This year will be hard for Ben because now he has a lot of people to answer to and to shut up. I think he'll be able to, but by no means is it going to be easy. The first time he has a bad game this season, the media is going to jump on the chance to bring up everything.

~PF43:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 11:07 AM
As long as the offensive line remembers how to pass-block,he should have an excellent season.

Thank you.......I always have felt that the Steelers Oline was great at run blocking and could dominate teams physically but were suspect in pass blocking....I know some of the sacks were Ben's fault as well....But even in 2005, our QBs were sacked over 30 times...Thats not horrible but thats far from great....When you look at teams like the Colts who hardly give up any sacks and I'm not buying its all Peyton Manning that the Colts never give up sacks....True his quick release helps out but the Colts have had a solid athletic pass blocking line....Hopefully the new blocking schemes the new OLine coach puts in helps our OLine in pass blocking. If the Oline improve then Ben will have a huge year....

I'm a member of other teams message boards....Its general opinion among them boards that Ben is washed up and never will be the same....I laugh my ass off reading that nonsense....Its amazing that Ben even played last year especially with the Oline giving up over 45 sacks.....When looking at last year the only problem was the INTs....After staring the year with 0 TDs and 7 INTs in his first three starts....Ben finished the year with 18 TDs and 16 INTs....Thats a plus two in the TD/INT ratio....Not great but far from being finished or washed up like alot of Ben haters think.....

fansince'76
06-16-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm a member of other teams message boards....Its general opinion among them boards that Ben is washed up and never will be the same....I laugh my ass off reading that nonsense....Its amazing that Ben even played last year especially with the Oline giving up over 45 sacks.....When looking at last year the only problem was the INTs....After staring the year with 0 TDs and 7 INTs in his first three starts....Ben finished the year with 18 TDs and 16 INTs....Thats a plus two in the TD/INT ratio....Not great but far from being finished or washed up like alot of Ben haters think.....

Let me guess - they're probably amongst the same tools that bagged on Ben for being "lucky enough to be drafted into a great system where the running game and D do all the work," right? So which is it, is Ben a "has been" or a "never was?"

MACH1
06-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Win a minimum of ten games and half as many int's, that should silence most of the critics.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-16-2007, 11:59 AM
You guys should hear what these Browns fans say.

I always reply to them with: "I'd rather have a has-been Super Bowl Champion QB than a never-was-won't-win-anything QB."

19ward86
06-16-2007, 12:03 PM
the o-line was the root to all of our problems last season. it wasnt enough for ben to undergo 2 concusions(determining that the moto crash was a concusion) during the season he also had less time and comfort to throw the ball, bye bye alan faneca.s

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Let me guess - they're probably amongst the same tools that bagged on Ben for being "lucky enough to be drafted into a great system where the running game and D do all the work," right? So which is it, is Ben a "has been" or a "never was?"

Good guess:thumbsup: Whats funny I joined a Cards board after Whisenhunt was named HC of the Cards...I still like Whisenhunt and wish him the best....So I will pay attention to the Cards more now....But what I found shocking was how bad some of those Cards fan hated Big Ben....Alot of fans on that site say it was Cowher's schemes and power running game that made Ben....lol Now after last year they think he is washed up...What I don't understand is why Cards fans would hate Ben so much? The Cards are in the NFC and are not a rival of the Steelers.....lol I guess they're just jealous of the 5 Lombardi's since their team has sucked for so long....

They all think Matt Leinart is a better QB....lol As a college QB there is no comparison hands down Matt was the better QB...But this is the NFL and Matt is only in his second year and must prove he is NFL material...He had a nice rookie year but so did Big Ben....Plus Ben had a solid 2nd year in which he played well in the play-offs for the most part (except for the Super Bowl)....Its just funny one bad year and a guy is washed up....:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

MACH1
06-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Good guess:thumbsup: Whats funny I joined a Cards board after Whisenhunt was named HC of the Cards...I still like Whisenhunt and wish him the best....So I will pay attention to the Cards more now....But what I found shocking was how bad some of those Cards fan hated Big Ben....Alot of fans on that site say it was Cowher's schemes and power running game that made Ben....lol Now after last year they think he is washed up...What I don't understand is why Cards fans would hate Ben so much? The Cards are in the NFC and are not a rival of the Steelers.....lol I guess they're just jealous of the 5 Lombardi's since their team has sucked for so long....

They all think Matt Leinart is a better QB....lol As a college QB there is no comparison hands down Matt was the better QB...But this is the NFL and Matt is only in his second year and must prove he is NFL material...He had a nice rookie year but so did Big Ben....Plus Ben had a solid 2nd year in which he played well in the play-offs for the most part (except for the Super Bowl)....Its just funny one bad year and a guy is washed up....:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

The same could be said about Leiart in college. It was the system and the fact that they had Bush also made him look better.

fansince'76
06-16-2007, 02:32 PM

I don't understand their hatred of Ben either - we might play them once every 5-10 years, if that. If a team we never play's fanbase hates him, he must be doing something right. As far as Leinart goes, I think Ben probably would have been a better QB in college too with Reggie Bush in his backfield.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't understand their hatred of Ben either - we might play them once every 5-10 years, if that. If a team we never play's fanbase hates him, he must be doing something right. As far as Leinart goes, I think Ben probably would have been a better QB in college too with Reggie Bush in his backfield.

Oh I agree if Ben played at USC or another bigtime program for sure he would have had a college career that could have matched Matts...I just give credit to Matt on what he accomplished in his college career even if he was a really talented team...Just like I give Ben credit for what he did his first two years in the NFL with a very good supporting cast around him....

I can't wait until we play the Cards and Ben lights their defense up.....:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:I'm going to talk so much smack.....:jammin:after Ben throws for 300+ and 4 TDs against their D....:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Edman
06-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Cardinal fans sure do talk a lot of trash for fans of a franchise that has done nothing but s*** the bed since the early days of the NFL. They're like Browns fans. Only worse. At least the Clowns have a history to look back on.

Newzfoxjr
06-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Ben should be great this year. He has nothing hampering him. You have to look at the facts. The two seasons where he had no reason to be that bad, we only lost 4 games with him as a starter, and we won a Super Bowl. This season, he's healthy, and working harder than he has ever before. I think he can be better than he was in 2004 and 2005.

TackleMeBen
06-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I think he can be better than he was in 2004 and 2005.

I think you could be right. Now that he has his head screwed on right, I think he is more focused. The new HC might have a big part in that. Mikey T is going to push him to be better than he was his first two years (i am trying to pretend last year didnt exsist..lol):tt02::tt02:

ChronoCross
06-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Ben has no obligation to put forth effort to silence critics. Ben focus should only be on the team and not on someone that is breathing hot air. The more Ben concentrates on the team and not some other crap the better off we will be.

tony hipchest
06-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Ben has no obligation to put forth effort to silence critics. Ben focus should only be on the team and not on someone that is breathing hot air. The more Ben concentrates on the team and not some other crap the better off we will be.
alot of times last year ben seemed fine physically, yet looked like he was trying to be the hero and silence the critics. the newfound focus and the confidence of his coach should definitely do good for his continued development.

nicesteel4life
06-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Simple way to put it I see......New Coach, New Ben! He will be fine.

TackleMeBen
06-16-2007, 10:08 PM
alot of times last year ben seemed fine physically, yet looked like he was trying to be the hero and silence the critics. the newfound focus and the confidence of his coach should definitely do good for his continued development.

his continued development of what?? cheese??? no just kidding with you tony :wink02:.

i agree with you. i think the new coach is already doing wonders for him and his confidence and over sized ego :wink02:..lol.

PisnNapalm
06-16-2007, 10:14 PM

1) Last Year

1. Last year was a disaster. I believe it was doomed from the start. Too many mistakes and bad luck for Ben on and off the field. Also Cowher should not have played him in several of those games. Like the ones after the appendectomy and concussion.

2. A great quarterback cannot win it all by himself. Marino never had a great running game. Elway did not win until he had a great running game either. Likewise, Trent Dilfer, who many consider to be one of the worst ever, won because the Ratbirds had a great running game and stifling defense.

3. Yeah he was scared out of his 23 year old mind, but... He made big plays when they counted most. Whereas Hasselbeck, McNabb both choked and threw interceptions late in the game.

I don't know yet if Roethlisberger is going to be one of the greats. I do know that I like his attitude, leadership and skills. I have faith that he'll put the past behind him and step it up this year.

siss
06-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I would like for anyone one of those talking heads or Stains fans to go threw what Ben went threw and then play in the NFL after it all. Its a miricale he was even there in the first place...when he very easily could no longer be with us.

I find it so cold that people can't see that. It makes me sick. I'm not saying that Ben is Gods gift to Steelers fans...but I think he can be great. And anyone will tell you that the second half of the season was much better then the first. I think a lot of problems have been fixed and I think Ben and the WHOLE team will be better.

steelpinstripe72
06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Its a miricale he was even there in the first place...when he very easily could no longer be with us.

I find it so cold that people can't see that. It makes me sick.

On that day, my bro said, "OK, so if he lives, he'll have an excuse for sucking!" I wanted to pound his little Giants-fan ass. What can I say? People are idiots.

fansince'76
06-16-2007, 11:42 PM
On that day, my bro said, "OK, so if he lives, he'll have an excuse for sucking!" I wanted to pound his little Giants-fan ass. What can I say? People are idiots.

Since he's a Giants fan, did you ask him what Eli's excuse was? I would've.

Galax Steeler
06-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I think alot of bens problams was the blocking of the offense.

findlayref
06-17-2007, 06:37 AM

I believe that is correct. This is what happens when the team lacks protection from the Oline and the team is playing from behind.:sign04:

stlrtruck
06-18-2007, 07:57 AM
I don't know many QBs who have success without an OL, WRs that can catch the damn ball, and finally, a Running game that is productive.

So I don't understand why people have to use that as an excuse for Ben's success. I mean is the QB suppose to win a game on his own without the rest of the team? If that's the case then the QB should be out there without the line, the WRs, or the RBs and play against the Defense.

It's a team game for a reason!

onthebus36
06-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm getting really tired of the focus on the 23 interceptions. Give it a rest.

Terry Bradshaw threw 20 or more interceptions in a season five times including 1978 and 1979. (He threw 25 picks in 1979.) And refresh my memory on what happened in 1978 and 1979?

I'm not saying it's okay to throw 23 interceptions. I'm just saying you can't look at one isolated stat and put the failure of a whole team of players and staff of coaches on that one statistic. As others have said very well in this thread, there were a ton of factors that contributed to the 8-8 season and you can't put all of them on Ben.

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Taking heat from critics (some have legitimate points when it comes to Ben imo) is part of being an NFL QB. It's no secret nor is it breaking news, I know. It's Ben's job to prove them wrong and bounce back to form. IMO, those who question his play have legitimate questions/concerns/doubts. I'm not exactly sure what some expect when a QB is coming off a horrible season. People start asking questions. It happens to the best of them.

Obviousy I wish him the best of luck but I do have some concerns heading into this season and I think it's only normal. For the record, I'm not doubting his QB'ing abilities at all, but I am concerned with how he will bounce back from a motorcyle accident and a horrible season. I wish I could say "he will play awesome this season", but I can't. I have no idea how he will play until I see him play. If wanting proof and simply waiting to see how he responds makes me a "critic" then so be it.

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
peter king has ben ranked 17th as far as 2007 projections go, in this weeks MMQB. then again he has vince young at 6th with no offensive weapons. its all about what have you done lately, and most critics cant see beyond 23 interceptions.

as far as the motorcycle crash, its about as significant of an injury as greg lloyd breaking brett favres jaw. brett rebounded, so will ben.

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
i think the new coach is already doing wonders for him and his confidence and over sized ego :wink02:..lol.

I'm not exactly sure how one can tell what Tomlin is doing for Ben at this point in time judging that the team hasn't even touched Latrobe grass. Up to this point all I've heard is how they went out to dinner and Ben 'told' Tomlin what he already knew and expected.

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 11:22 AM
peter king has ben ranked 17th as far as 2007 projections go, in this weeks MMQB. then again he has vince young at 6th with no offensive weapons. its all about what have you done lately, and most critics cant see beyond 23 interceptions.

as far as the motorcycle crash, its about as significant of an injury as greg lloyd breaking brett favres jaw. brett rebounded, so will ben.

He also has Kitna and Cutler ranked 9th and 10th, respectively. I could tell you what I think of that list, but decorum prohibits it.

onthebus36
06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Here's the whole excerpt on Ben:

"Ben Roethlisberger 17th? What gives? From Year 1 to Year 2 of his career, his completion percentage dropped 3.7 points; from year two to three it fell 3.0 points. His TD-to-interception ratio, plus-eight in 2005, dropped to minus-five last season. He is profoundly inconsistent. I say he's a C-plus player until I see six or eight straight weeks of the same guy."

First, the way the article is worded is clearly meant to be piss people off. Check it out and note the way he words things. He's being controversial on purpose.

Next, looking at his comments from a purely statistical standpoint, it's just pointless. Yes, Ben's completion percentage is down from 2005 to 2006 but the number of passes completed is up from 168 to 280. He attempted 201 more passes in 2006 than he did in 2005.

So, if I were writing an article like this and wanted Ben to look good, I could say that Ben threw for more TDs in 2006 than 2005 or 2004. I could also say that he passed for more yards, 3513, than he did the two previous years. In fact, if I only cherry pick the stats I want to look at and ignore the ones I don't like, like King does, I can make the case that Ben had the best year of his career last year.

BTW, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning all had lower completion percentages in 2006 than they did in 2005. Palmer was 5.5% lower than the previous year but he's a top five QB.

Anyway, obviously Ben had a bad year last year. I'm just trying to show that when you present only stats that fit with what you are saying, you can prove anything.

HometownGal
06-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Every NFL QB goes through a rough patch - I don't care who they are. I believe Ben's rough waters last year were due largely to all of the medical problems he endured in such a short span of time. Not many other players in NFL history dealt with all this young man had to deal with in such a short period of time. I don't think any of us can say that we could have come out of a streak of bad luck like that in that period.

It is up to Ben and Ben alone to silence his critics this season. I really believe that with Tomlin and Arians calling the shots, we're going to see the confident, poised and very talented Ben from 2005 re-emerge. :thumbsup:

bettis36
06-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Ben will silence them. Those of you who are old enough to remember Terry Bradshaw should know that he had a rough start but look at how he finished. He needs to stay healthy this season and avoid throwing interceptions.

onthebus36
06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Ben will silence them. Those of you who are old enough to remember Terry Bradshaw should know that he had a rough start but look at how he finished. He needs to stay healthy this season and avoid throwing interceptions.

I agree with my fellow Bettis fan! It's just that simple. A few less picks last year and the Steelers are a 9-7 or 10-6 playoff team. And we all know anything can happen once you make the playoff. (See Super Bowl XL!) Alternately, Ben doesn't get a concussion in Atlanta and the same thing likely happens. We were going to beat the Falcons before he got hit and we would have definitely beat the Raiders with a healthy Ben or a Charlie Batch. (Don't get me started there...)

Hammer67
06-20-2007, 07:38 AM

I believe Peter King to be a great football writer, if not one of the best. I disagree at times, but he makes a real educated guess at his picks on this list. And, like it or not, the fact is Ben has been inconsistent the last couple of years.

Let's see how he does in a more pass friendly offense that utilizes his strengths more.
All Ben was really asked to do his first couple years is manage the game, hand off the ball, and throw a few times. Taking the accident out of the equation, last year he was asked to throw more and was very inconsistent. I tend not to use the accident as an excuse as he was medically cleared to play and wanted to play, so in my mind, I considered him healthy.
It will be an interesting year for him. I consider this to be a make or break year for Ben in terms of becoming an elite QB in the leauge.

:coffee:

83-Steelers-43
06-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Hammer67, I'm pretty much with you. Once again, I do not doubt Ben's abilities. However, with a new HC and QB coach, I would have to believe that there is a learning curve. The question is, how fast will Ben adapt?

IMO, Ben is most potent when the offense is opened up. Denver in 05 comes to mind. Last season his OL was horrible. Whether you feel his bike accident had something to do with it or not, if you don't have an OL you have no chance. Where I do blame Ben (if that's permitted) is with his decision making. Some of the picks he threw were just absolutely horrible. Once again, if some want to make excuses for him throwing some of those horrible picks, go for it. Bottomline in my book, it didn't look good. He was also scared to scramble like he did in his rookie season and in 05. He was criticized by a few in upper management for not scrambling nearly enough last season.

Overall, the biggest questions in my mind this season are....

A) Ben's learning curve. New coaching staff, new system.

B) Our OL. Play good or play bad?

On the defensive side of the ball I'm not overly concerned although the DB position scares me a bit.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 12:52 PM

1) Last Year

Ben will shut them all up.

Cause he has "Ben" there, done that.

WWIIOwheelz
06-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Last year wasn't Ben's fault, it was the horrendous decision to rush him back after his head injury. I could see it in his eyes, at times, the distant look of someone whose mind isn't quite hitting on all cylinders. Having suffered a head injury myself 20 years ago, I know the look well.

I would have liked to seen batch play the first half of the season last year, but hindsight is 20/20.

I like that he has a new challenge in Coach Tomlin, and I think it will fire him up to excel. Let's face it, he won the Superbowl very, very early in his career. I think he will return to top form this year, and I can't wait to see the new look for the team.

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
o i have no fear Ben will shut them up he had a bad season with the accident and all but this year he is healthy and ready to get back to the superbowl i kno it!:)

xbroughneck
06-24-2007, 12:11 PM
As long a Ben stays within himself and cuts down on the attempts to make a play when a play isn't there to be made....both he and the Steelers will make the playoffs.

I definitely expect the defensive secondary to improve over what happened last year, but that won't matter if Ben doesn't bounce back.

I think he will.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:44 PM
As long a Ben stays within himself and cuts down on the attempts to make a play when a play isn't there to be made....both he and the Steelers will make the playoffs.

I definitely expect the defensive secondary to improve over what happened last year, but that won't matter if Ben doesn't bounce back.

I think he will.

Ben cutting down on trying to make a play that isn't there will also need to be assisted by good blocking by his Offensive Line.

stillers4me
06-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Ben cutting down on trying to make a play that isn't there will also need to be assisted by good blocking by his Offensive Line.

DING DING DING!!!! You win the grand prize!! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 01:50 PM
DING DING DING!!!! You win the grand prize!! :thumbsup:

The Grand Prize? What do I win Steelers Season tickets for life? :toofunny:

stillers4me
06-24-2007, 01:52 PM
The Grand Prize? What do I win Steelers Season tickets for life? :toofunny:

no.......but how about a direct line to Ticketmaster. :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 01:54 PM
no.......but how about a direct line to Ticketmaster. :sofunny:

Ok that works. Just make sure I get tickets to the Steelers and Penguins games I want. :rofl:

flanman
06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Ben will be as good as our O-line protection this year. That is the bottom line. We do well and make them respect the run, and Ben will have another strong year. If we become one dimensional like we were a lot last year playing behind, and it could get ugly for him again.

Flanman

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Ben will be as good as our O-line protection this year. That is the bottom line. We do well and make them respect the run, and Ben will have another strong year. If we become one dimensional like we were a lot last year playing behind, and it could get ugly for him again.

Flanman

That was basically him last year. A QB can only do went what his O-Line lets him do.

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Flanman

exaclty ben is a big boy bottom line is good O-line=good Ben!!

The Duke
06-25-2007, 05:01 PM
exaclty ben is a big boy bottom line is good O-line=good Ben!!

There's no better way to say it, it those big guys protect Ben from the other big guys he will be scoring tds

steelpride12
06-26-2007, 10:38 AM
There's no better way to say it, it those big guys protect Ben from the other big guys he will be scoring tds

its those big guys that do everything even back my boy parker up!

polamalu3000
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
what is your opinion on this?

The Duke
06-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Hopefully without as many interceptions, which would lead to more scores and winning games, and the development of our young receivers.

SteelCityMan786
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
The better the o-line is, the better Ben will be.

wharalson
06-30-2007, 04:09 PM
what will our recieving core look like and how good will they be, will big ben have someone else to throw to besides hines and if so who are they and will they be consistent enough to move the ball when we need to complete passes and wqhy did we get rid of joey and who will replace him . i need answers:helmet::helmet:

steelpride12
07-01-2007, 11:03 AM
what will our recieving core look like and how good will they be, will big ben have someone else to throw to besides hines and if so who are they and will they be consistent enough to move the ball when we need to complete passes and wqhy did we get rid of joey and who will replace him . i need answers:helmet::helmet:

yo not the thread to be asking that

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
atleast not everyone is a critic.

http://nfl.com/news/story/10246999

(July 5, 2007)
Ask Vic: Big Ben could flourish under Arians

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

-- We've got mail:

Much of the speculation about the Steelers' future rests with the future of Ben Roethlisberger. Surely, it is no secret that good, solid quarterback play is required for a team success. Last season was Big Ben's worst, leading the league with 23 interceptions. Many people wonder if his decision-making ability can rebound, after the injuries suffered prior to the start of last year. What adjustments or changes do you think the Steelers, with their new head coach, might try on offense to increase the chances of more success for Big Ben? -- Gilbert P.; Bethel Park, Pa.

The biggest change to Pittsburgh's coaching staff that could significantly influence Roethlisberger's production is Bruce Arians being promoted from receivers coach to offensive coordinator to replace Ken Whisenhunt, who left to coach the Arizona Cardinals.

Ben Roethlisberger will get more say in what plays the Steelers will run.
Roethlisberger is happy because Arians will trust him to carry more of the offensive load and have a larger role in game management. Arians intends to make greater use of the no-huddle attack, which Roethlisberger ran successfully in college (Miami, Ohio).

The Steelers, who worked on the scheme extensively during offseason practices, won't necessarily move particularly fast when they aren't huddling. However, they will periodically switch to the no-huddle to keep defenses guessing and to allow Roethlisberger to change plays on the fly. I think Big Ben will be up to the challenge, and provided Pittsburgh's running game gives him consistently strong support, his numbers should reflect as much.

TackleMeBen
07-06-2007, 11:07 AM

thanks for the read tony... but you are getting slack...you havent given me any good cheese pics lately..lol

The Duke
07-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Now everyone will know that Ben really is a hard worker, good for him.
BTW, TackleMeBen is right, show some cheese :banana:

TackleMeBen
07-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Now everyone will know that Ben really is a hard worker, good for him.
BTW, TackleMeBen is right, show some cheese :banana:

somehow i dont see the words ben and hard worker associated together... we all know what a slacker he is..lol....:wink02:

if i werent on vacation i would see what i could do for ya duke..:cheers:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Virtually every mag and on-line publication I have seen says that Ben is predicted to have a stellar (and Steeler) year!!!
The three things that they all seem to agree on is that Ben will rebound this year....Parker has showed himself to be a Premier back... and that Miller is capable of putting up pro-bowl numbers under the new offensive philosophy.
I would agree with this...my only hesitation being that I am waiting to see what becomes of the O-Line..and how long it takes for our coaches to confirm that Colon is better than two of our starters.

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Many people wonder if his decision-making ability can rebound, after the injuries suffered prior to the start of last year.

God forbid you do that....:coffee:

Anyways, good short read Tony. While I do have my concerns (not just with Roethlisberger), obviously I hope Mr. Carucci is correct.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 11:51 AM

1) Last Year

Yes he had a great team around him but in the 2005-06 AFC playoffs he plated great when the running game was getting shut down ex. first half of the AFC championship game. I think Ben will be fine this year and he will have career numbers, but thats just my opinion.

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Virtually every mag and on-line publication I have seen says that Ben is predicted to have a stellar (and Steeler) year

Liar!!! That's impossible!!! The media is da devil!!!

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
thanks for the read tony... but you are getting slack...you havent given me any good cheese pics lately..loli dont know about that. all i can say is ben will be "grate" this year.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesegraterII.jpg

TackleMeBen
07-06-2007, 09:57 PM
i dont know about that. all i can say is ben will be "grate" this year.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesegraterII.jpg

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofu nny: i think that has to be one of your best yet..:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofu nny: i think that has to be one of your best yet..:thumbsup:

awwww.... c'mon, you know im as meek as a mouse...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/1533173.jpg

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

:sofunny: show em how "grate" you are ben.

sure p. manning has "cut that meat!" bens new slogan is "great that cheese"

GBMelBlount
07-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Every time I see the cheese come out I laugh for ten minutes! Let's hope Ben is the big cheese this year!

TackleMeBen
07-06-2007, 10:37 PM
awwww.... c'mon, you know im as meek as a mouse...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/1533173.jpg

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

:sofunny: show em how "grate" you are ben.

sure p. manning has "cut that meat!" bens new slogan is "great that cheese"

oh my.. now that was wrong of you... i wasnt expecting that one to be brought out... thanks for making me spit coke all over my laptop.. what a friend you are..:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Liar!!! That's impossible!!! The media is da devil!!!the media is not the devil. peter king is tha devil (he ranked ben #17). the media is just all of his minions and demigoblins....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesegrater.jpg

FastWillieParker39
07-08-2007, 11:52 PM
I think everyone can agree that a huge part of our success this year will depend on Ben Roethlisberger. Last year, when Ben wasn't himself the Steelers missed the playoffs. But in 04 and 05 when he was the Ben we know, the Steelers did make it to the playoffs.

Now put away the homerism and be serious in your answer. :smile:

FastWillieParker39
07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
I will say yes if he can stay healthy. Last year when he was not healthy, the Steelers went 2-5, but when he was healthy, the Steelers went 6-2.

Ben's got a pretty darn good WR core in that he should be able to pass to. So those WR's can definitly help him out.

Preacher
07-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I will say yes if he can stay healthy. Last year when he was not healthy, the Steelers went 2-5, but when he was healthy, the Steelers went 6-2.

Ben's got a pretty darn good WR core in that he should be able to pass to. So those WR's can definitly help him out.

I don't think our WR core is that good...

We have a great number 1 in Hines.

Santonio is developing into a great number 2... but I need to see him be consistent this year (normal need for a 2nd year player, nothing specific for Holmes).

However, where do you go from there? Sure, we have a TE... but in the receiver core? I am not really excited about anyone for a number 3 right now... and that isn't good. Washington really needs to step up this year.

If we want to run 3 and 4 wide consistently, we have to have receivers in our 3 and 4 positions that could play in the 2 and 3 positions on other teams.

83-Steelers-43
07-09-2007, 02:23 AM
I don't think our WR core is that good...

We have a great number 1 in Hines.

Santonio is developing into a great number 2... but I need to see him be consistent this year (normal need for a 2nd year player, nothing specific for Holmes).

However, where do you go from there? Sure, we have a TE... but in the receiver core? I am not really excited about anyone for a number 3 right now... and that isn't good. Washington really needs to step up this year.

If we want to run 3 and 4 wide consistently, we have to have receivers in our 3 and 4 positions that could play in the 2 and 3 positions on other teams.

I couldn't agree more.

83-Steelers-43
07-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Do we have a "Not as bad as last season, but not near his level of play in the 05 playoffs" option?

Livinginthe past
07-09-2007, 04:30 AM
I am wondering, from what I have been reading about the new season and the new extra responsibilities that Ben is taking on, whether you will ever see the 'old' Ben Roethlisberger again.

The guy that springs to mind is the super efficient QB, who nearly always made a play when needed but who had an excellent D and very solid run game to lean on.

That Ben was able to have a fairly large ypa because he threw less often than other top level QB's.

With the predicted 4 wide spread formations are we looking for Ben to hit the shorter routes on a more regular basis - especially in the no huddle when teams don't have the opportunity to get set.

Will the pass be truly used to set up the run?

If we see Ben take games over when he isn't forced to , the old Ben will be history.

SteelCzar76
07-09-2007, 04:35 AM
I am wondering, from what I have been reading about the new season and the new extra responsibilities that Ben is taking on, whether you will ever see the 'old' Ben Roethlisberger again.

The guy that springs to mind is the super efficient QB, who nearly always made a play when needed but who had an excellent D and very solid run game to lean on.

That Ben was able to have a fairly large ypa because he threw less often than other top level QB's.

With the predicted 4 wide spread formations are we looking for Ben to hit the shorter routes on a more regular basis - especially in the no huddle when teams don't have the opportunity to get set.

Will the pass be truly used to set up the run?

If we see Ben take games over when he isn't forced to , the old Ben will be history.

Exactly.