PDA

View Full Version : Can someone answer this baseball question? Mets v. Yankees game last night

alittlejazzbird
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
The folks in this forum are so knowledgeable about all sports, I thought I'd ask this baseball question and see if anyone can clear it up:

During last night's Mets/Yankees game, Chien-Ming Wang was pitching to David Wright, who struck out but reached first base safely because the pitch he swung at for strike 3 was also a wild pitch. Carlos Delgado then doubled and David Wright scored. My question: is Wang charged with an earned run for Wright? I can't figure out how you'd score it, because technically Wright struck out.

Any thoughts?

steelpinstripe72
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I wasn't sure, so I looked up "earned run" on Wikipedia. You can therefore take this for what it's worth. ;)

an earned run is any run for which the pitcher is held accountable (i.e., the run scored as a result of normal pitching, and not due to a fielding error or a passed ball). All others are unearned runs. An error made by the pitcher in fielding his position is counted the same as an error by any other player.

I was watching the game last night (for once, it wasn't blacked out on ESPN. Yay!), and for some reason missed the scenario in question. Must have been doing something. Anyway, Wikipedia says an earned run has to be a result of normal pitching. So my guess would be Wang is not charged. But then, what is considered normal pitching?

alittlejazzbird
06-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I wasn't sure, so I looked up "earned run" on Wikipedia. You can therefore take this for what it's worth. ;)

an earned run is any run for which the pitcher is held accountable (i.e., the run scored as a result of normal pitching, and not due to a fielding error or a passed ball). All others are unearned runs. An error made by the pitcher in fielding his position is counted the same as an error by any other player.

I was watching the game last night (for once, it wasn't blacked out on ESPN. Yay!), and for some reason missed the scenario in question. Must have been doing something. Anyway, Wikipedia says an earned run has to be a result of normal pitching. So my guess would be Wang is not charged. But then, what is considered normal pitching?

I checked the box score to refresh my memory, and the incident in question happened in the top of the 7th.

Wang was not charged an error for the wild pitch (though he did get credit for the K, which seems strange to me since Wright was safe at first base), so I guess according to Wikipedia's definition, he wouldn't be charged with the run. But Wright reached base directly as a result of Wang's wild pitch, even though Wright was technically called out on strikes, and only then scored "as a result of normal pitching." Weird.