PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS:Former PSU Star and N.Y. Giant LB LaVar Arrington in Motorcycle acciden

Crushzilla
06-18-2007, 04:03 PM
LaVar Arrington Hurt In Md. Motorcycle Crash

WASHINGTON -- Former Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington was injured Monday afternoon in a motorcycle accident in Prince George's County, according to police.

The incident happened at about 1 p.m. on a ramp from westbound Route 50 to the Outer Loop of the Beltway.

Arrington apparently lost control of his motorcycle and hit a guardrail, officials said.

He was transported to Prince George's County Hospital with what officials described as "non-life-threatening" injuries.

State police are investigating.

http://www.nbc4.com/sports/13522670/detail.html?dl=mainclick

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 04:05 PM
This sucks. He was one of my favorite PSU Linebackers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2908160

By Michael Smith
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: June 18, 2007, 3:48 PM ET

Free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in the Washington, D.C., area, the player's agent told ESPN.com on Monday.

Carl Poston said it was his understanding that Arrington suffered a broken bone in his arm, three broken bones in his leg, cuts and bruises. The injuries do not appear to be life-threatening. He is recovering at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Arrington, a former Pro Bowl linebacker for the Washington Redskins, is not currently under contract to any team. The 28-year-old Arrington is still rehabilitating an Achilles tendon tear that cut short his 2006 season with the New York Giants.

Senior writer Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Threads Merged.

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Damn, I hope he's OK.

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Was he wearing a helmet? (not a sneer, just a question). Glad to hear the injuries apparently are not life threatening.

Any team that does not put a no motorcycles clause in every players' contract has more $$ than sense.

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Was he wearing a helmet? (not a sneer, just a question). Glad to hear the injurioes apparently are not life threatening.

Any team thet does not put a no motorcycles clause in every players' contract has more $$ than sense.

Smith has said nothing. I'm watching NFL Live now.

Edman
06-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Almost exactly a year after Ben's motorcycle accident. I hope he's okay. He may have been an underachieving prima-donna in the NFL, but he was awesome in PSU.

The Duke
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Hope he's ok. How old is the guy? is it safe to say that if the injuries are really bad his career may be over??

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Carl Poston said it was his understanding that Arrington suffered a broken bone in his arm, three broken bones in his leg, cuts and bruises. The injuries do not appear to be life-threatening. He is recovering at Prince George's Hospital Center.

I think it's safe to say he won't be playing in '07. Damn, that sucks.

Cape Cod Steel Head
06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Hope he is alright. I used to love to ride motorcycles until I had my accident. Now I just look at them as death machines.

stlrtruck
06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I believe in VA Law he is required to wear a helmet, so most likely he had it on.

My prayers go out to him for a quick and speedy recovery. He definitely was a great linebacker while at PSU. I know exactly where that road meets the beltway. It sounds like it may have been a bit of a speeding episode then anything else.

Livinginthe past
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Looking at the lost of injuries listed (leg/arm) it appears as if his head was undamaged - that would indicate, to me, that he was wearing a helmet.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

CantStop85
06-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Maybe the NFL season should just be year-long...

the players can't seem to stay out of trouble.

HometownGal
06-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, but am relieved that his injuries are not life-threatening. Here's to a speedy recovery LaVar! :cheers:

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Maybe the NFL season should just be year-long...

the players can't seem to stay out of trouble.

I would agree if nobody was getting into trouble during the season

$$$$$$ + youth + testosterone = :dang:

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM
i hate to hear this. im going to a funeral tonight for a state cop who was killed on his motorcycle last week. just off work, a minute away from home and had to spin around to chase down a speeder even though he was just off duty. unfortunately he tried to exceed the limitations of his bike and lost control and hit a parked semi.

even those who are trained and wearing a helmet arent immune to the machine

silver & black
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
That sucks. I hate to see anyone get hurt like that. I hope he recovers and can lead a normal life... football is secondary to that.

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
i hate to hear this. im going to a funeral tonight for a state cop who was killed on his motorcycle last week. just off work, a minute away from home and had to spin around to chase down a speeder even though he was just off duty. unfortunately he tried to exceed the limitations of his bike and lost control and hit a parked semi.

even those who are trained and wearing a helmet arent immune to the machine

I hate to hear this to brother.

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 06:46 PM
i was shocked this story only got about 15 seconds of coverage, 20 minutes into sportscenter. of course "pac man" not commiting a crime or being near a crimescene was the headline story :dang:

and while we dont even hear that a helmet possibly saved arringtons life (or not), sportscenter devotes more time talking about the bengals quincy wilson being arrested.

wow. maybe the public (or media) only cares if it was a sb winning qb.

oh well, get better lavar. (i think this will be the nail in the coffin of his football career)

Preacher
06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I pray that Arrington is okay, and recovers fully. Regardless of where he plays...

Life is more important the football. May God bless him.

tony hipchest
06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
latest update if anyone cares. his injuries were slightly worse than his agent let on. hes still hospitalized with an infection in the huge gash on his leg, the supposed cast was put on to stabilize this wound. his wrist is broken along with his arm and hes got torn tendons.

that leg sounds pretty bad. not only is his football career most likely done, he may never walk without a limp again. the main thing is to get the infection cleared. it would suck to think hes out of the woods and have another incident like what happened out of the blue with derrick thomas.

i know its not his place, but i'd like to think that without all the fanfare or calling a press conference to announce his deed, ben would call up lavar, and wish him well and a few words of support, understanding, and encouragement.

and to think, ben was without the helmet and out of the hospital within 48 hours. time to count those blessings.

Livinginthe past
06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the update - hopefully things aren't as gloomy as they sound and that he'll be fully mobile (in terms of regular life) sometime soon.

tony hipchest
06-29-2007, 12:57 PM
oh, and not to mislead anyone, this was just my speculation on his leg:

.that leg sounds pretty bad. not only is his football career most likely done, he may never walk without a limp again. the main thing is to get the infection cleared. it would suck to think hes out of the woods and have another incident like what happened out of the blue with derrick thomas.

i havent heard much about it other than it was supposedly broken in 2 places, but is really just gashed and infected.

CantStop85
06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
oh, and not to mislead anyone, this was just my speculation on his leg:

i havent heard much about it other than it was supposedly broken in 2 places, but is really just gashed and infected.

If he was still a young guy, he might be able to recover and make a return to football. But, at his age I'm not sure if all the rehab it would require would be worth it. Sounds like that leg is pretty messed up and an infection doesn't exactly help.

Sounds like LaVar will be calling it a career. Then again, David Pollack's coming back after a broken neck, so you never know.