PDA

View Full Version : Raiders complain about practice

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
(It was announced on NFL Live)

wow, the Raiders must REALLY not know that football is an intense game.

Advice to the Raiders, if your practices are too tough for you, RETIRE or JUST TRY TO PLAY ON.

I do things I don't like to do at the HIGH SCHOOL level of football, but do you see me complaining? NO! I just do the drills and whatever we're supposed to do in practice to the best of my ability and if even if I don't do it well, I just try to do better next time.

Livinginthe past
06-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that there is a little controversy because these mini-camps and OTA's are supposed to be strictly non-contact.

Yet we've already had a couple of players are already done for the year and there have been alot of reports that strongly indicate there is alot of contact happening.

Despite what we may or may not think about these guys being over paid - they have a Union that is doing very little of what it is being paid to do (representing the players best interests) instead of playing the role of a lapdog to the NFL.

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
on the flipside is tomlin who held some rigorous 11 on 11 drills, and instead of the players narcing on him he complimented how much they love to "work".

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2007, 04:42 PM
One thing I love being about a Steelers Fan

Our players are willing to work, even if they don't like the workout

lilyoder6
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
yea i agree if they complain now during mini-camps and ota's i wonder whats going to happen when training camp comes around, etc.

silver & black
06-18-2007, 05:07 PM
(It was announced on NFL Live)

wow, the Raiders must REALLY not know that football is an intense game.

Advice to the Raiders, if your practices are too tough for you, RETIRE or JUST TRY TO PLAY ON.

I do things I don't like to do at the HIGH SCHOOL level of football, but do you see me complaining? NO! I just do the drills and whatever we're supposed to do in practice to the best of my ability and if even if I don't do it well, I just try to do better next time.

Back up man! NO ONE on the team complained. ALL of the players have praised Kiffin and the pace and intensity of the practices.

It is believed that a divisional rival turned them in because they were practicing too hard. Sounds like someone is worried!

HometownGal
06-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Back up man! NO ONE on the team complained. ALL of the players have praised Kiffin and the pace and intensity of the practices.

It is believed that a divisional rival turned them in because they were practicing too hard. Sounds like someone is worried!

You're absolutely correct, s&b. NFL Live had the story wrong, as I heard the same untrue rumor. Here's the story:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/10227315

Union complains, Raiders cancel workouts

NFL.com wire reports

ALAMEDA, Calif. (June 15, 2007) -- The Oakland Raiders canceled the final week of their offseason training program after complaints from the NFL players' union about the intensity of the practices.

In a brief statement, coach Lane Kiffin said the players' union believes the Raiders' offseason program violated league rules on practice standards.

"The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our offseason program," said Kiffin, the NFL's youngest and least experienced head coach.

The Raiders won't hold offseason activities scheduled for next week, which were expected to be mostly weightlifting sessions.

Oakland wrapped up a voluntary minicamp June 13 under Kiffin, a former assistant coach at Southern California. He had only one season of NFL training-camp experience as an assistant with Jacksonville in 2000.

The Raiders' training camp will open July 27 in Napa.

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM
usually it is assumed a disgruntled player turns the coach in in these situations.

silver & black
06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
usually it is assumed a disgruntled player turns the coach in in these situations.

You what they say about assuming. :wink02:

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 05:29 PM
NFL.com wire reports

ALAMEDA, Calif. (June 15, 2007) -- The Oakland Raiders canceled the final week of their offseason training program after complaints from the NFL players' union about the intensity of the practices.

In a brief statement, coach Lane Kiffin said the players' union believes the Raiders' offseason program violated league rules on practice standards.

"The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our offseason program," said Kiffin, the NFL's youngest and least experienced head coach.

The Raiders won't hold offseason activities scheduled for next week, which were expected to be mostly weightlifting sessions.

Oakland wrapped up a voluntary minicamp June 13 under Kiffin, a former assistant coach at Southern California. He had only one season of NFL training-camp experience as an assistant with Jacksonville in 2000.

The Raiders' training camp will open July 27 in Napa.

And my already low opinion of the NFLPA descends just a bit lower....

Livinginthe past
06-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Looks like the Eagles are the latest team to be shopped by a 'disgruntled player'.

Its annoying that the NFLPA are only acting on these instances when a player supplies evidence against his own team.

The actual rule is ignored with such impunity (including player/coach interviews where they openly describe the no-contact rules being broken) that the NFLPA should be investigating every team in the league.

Apart from the Patriots.

They are totally innocent :wink02:

EAGLES UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR OFFSEASON CONTACT VIOLATIONS

An industry source tells us that the Philadelphia Eagles are under investigation for alleged repeat violations of the rules against contact during offseason practices.

The source says that tapes of practices have been turned over to the union over the pleadings of coach Andy Reid, who believes that there was no reason to explore the situation.

The source also believes that the inquiry is the result of a complaint made by a player, and not the product of the NFLPA deciding to take matters into its own hands.

So the next question is who would complain? Typically, players go with the program unless their noise is out of joint for some reason. And when it comes to Eagles players who might currently have their noses out of joint, there's only one name that comes to mind.

The penalty could include the loss of a draft pick.

tony hipchest
06-20-2007, 05:13 PM
only 1 name that comes to mind? are they implying mcnabb? thats rediculous. it could be darwin walker, kelly holcomb, or perhaps a rb who thinks he may be getting cut.

Livinginthe past
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
only 1 name that comes to mind? are they implying mcnabb? thats rediculous. it could be darwin walker, kelly holcomb, or perhaps a rb who thinks he may be getting cut.

Well thats definitely speculation - McNabb would have to have his nose way out of joint to blow the whistle on the Eagles.

I reckon there is at least one disgruntled guy in alot of teams who would be willing to blow the whistle - this could become a steady trickle.

It would be harsh to take away an Eagles draft pick.

SteelCityMan786
06-20-2007, 08:00 PM

Well that changes everything then from what HTG just posted.

The Players Union I guess now is taking practice time from Kiffen. This just gets on my nerves. The union needs to think here, Football is a tough sport for a reason. When the players sign contracts, they're agreeing to take hard hits. I really think that the Raiders Shouldn't be forced to cancel practices because of this. ESPECIALLY considering the fact they went 2-14 a year ago and need a lot of practice time.

Football practices are supposed to have a fast pace, be intense, etc. Now, if this violates any rules set down by the league, players are suffering severe injuries, ok then, go on and talk about practice cancellations. Otherwise NFLPA, ALLOW TEAMS TO DO THERE BUSINESS GETTING READY FOR THE SEASON. Football is the most intense sports in my opinion in America and around the world. If you can't put on the pads and take the intensity, don't bother playing.

Livinginthe past
06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Well that changes everything then from what HTG just posted.

The Players Union I guess now is taking practice time from Kiffen. This just gets on my nerves. The union needs to think here, Football is a tough sport for a reason. When the players sign contracts, they're agreeing to take hard hits. I really think that the Raiders Shouldn't be forced to cancel practices because of this. ESPECIALLY considering the fact they went 2-14 a year ago and need a lot of practice time.

Football practices are supposed to have a fast pace, be intense, etc. Now, if this violates any rules set down by the league, players are suffering severe injuries, ok then, go on and talk about practice cancellations. Otherwise NFLPA, ALLOW TEAMS TO DO THERE BUSINESS GETTING READY FOR THE SEASON. Football is the most intense sports in my opinion in America and around the world. If you can't put on the pads and take the intensity, don't bother playing.

The rules state 'no-contact' - therefore thr rules are clearly being broken.

Whats the point in having a Union that wont enforce regulations that it helped create in the first place?

If the no-contact rule is so difficult apply, then write it out of the regulations and move on.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 02:14 PM
The rules state 'no-contact' - therefore thr rules are clearly being broken.

Whats the point in having a Union that wont enforce regulations that it helped create in the first place?

If the no-contact rule is so difficult apply, then write it out of the regulations and move on.

I never heard anything of "contact" relations with this. If they're just hitting the blocking pads on sleds and other forms of practice hitting(Without pads) I see NO grounds for this to be against the rules. If they have the pads on and are doing contact drills against the players, then they have grounds.

Livinginthe past
06-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Chad Pennington barked out the signals, took the snap and faded back to pass. As he looked for an open receiver, Shaun Ellis rushed hard from left end and was blocked by tackle Anthony Clement and guard Brandon Moore. Pennington threw to Laveranues Coles over the middle.

It seemed like a routine play Friday during minicamp as the Jets went through final preparations before the opening of training camp next month. But it may have been a violation of the NFL's collective-bargaining agreement, which strictly prohibits contact of any kind during the offseason.

According to the CBA, "Contact work [e.g., 'live' blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run] is expressly prohibited in all offseason workouts." Appendix L adds: "No live contact; no live contact drills between offensive and defensive linemen."

These rules apply to all offseason workouts, whether or not the day has been designated as an OTA (organized team activity) by the club. They also apply to mandatory and voluntary minicamps.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spjets195261948jun19,0,4487701.story?coll=ny-sports-print

On Wednesday afternoon, the New York Giants may have violated the league's rule barring contact between players during offseason workouts when seven-year veteran center Shaun O'Hara took rookie defensive tackle Jay Alford to the ground during a blocking drill which had grown increasingly rugged until that point.

The NFL Players Association believes Coughlin's sentiment isn't always followed very strongly. At times, the rules prohibiting contact have been flaunted. In 1996, then-Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson made a mockery of the rule by first promoting contact in mini-camps and then mocking players during a radio interview when they anonymously filed a complaint with the NFLPA.

"We'll investigate any report of illegal contact in the offseason," NFLPA lead attorney Richard Berthelsen said Thursday. "If we are informed of illegal contact, we can request the (tapes) of practice made by the teams and review them."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=As6qslgZ4nzlqKgxrhUzHB9DubYF?slug=jc-nflcontact061407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Were the Raiders doing contact drills between their team mates?

stlrtruck
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Here's something for the NFLPA and the NFL in general....

SHUT UP AND PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!!

Livinginthe past
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Im guessing that they did - the NFL obviously were able to prove enough to shut down their practice sessions.

Even bumping the WR off his route is not allowed.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Im guessing that they did - the NFL obviously were able to prove enough to shut down their practice sessions.

Even bumping the WR off his route is not allowed.

They should at least allow them to do some sort of training such as weight lifting at least. Heck, even have optional work outs. Not with practices, but lifting or other forms of conditioning.

rbryan
06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
They should at least allow them to do some sort of training such as weight lifting at least. Heck, even have optional work outs. Not with practices, but lifting or other forms of conditioning.

Don't worry about the Raiders missing any practice. This gives them more time to study up on "Raiders rule #1"

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Don't worry about the Raiders missing any practice. This gives them more time to study up on "Raiders rule #1"

And that is to suck as much as possible. :sofunny:

rbryan
06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Raiders rule #1 Cheating is encouraged

Raiders rule #2 See rule #1

No shit, this hangs on the wall in the Raiders locker room. They seem to be proud of it.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Raiders rule #1 Cheating is encouraged

Raiders rule #2 See rule #1

No shit, this hangs on the wall in the Raiders locker room. They seem to be proud of it.

No kidding.

silver & black
06-21-2007, 03:08 PM

If they were, how intense could it possibly be without pads? I would wager that EVERY team does the same thing. I think the no contact rule is being taken way too literally... I would think that some contact (touching) is inevitable during OTA's.

The whole thing is being made way too much of. We lose a week in the weight room... who gives a shit? Lets get on with camp, then everyone can mind their own business, and the NFLPA can get on with... whatever it is they do.

rbryan
06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Saw it on the Americas Game episode. 1980 Raiders. Matt Millen stated as clear as day. I believe he said the sign still hangs there today.

silver & black
06-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Saw it on the Americas Game episode. 1980 Raiders. Matt Millen stated as clear as day. I believe he said the sign still hangs there today.

If the last 4 years are any indication, the sign isn't helping. :sofunny:

I would have thought I would have known about a sign like that... you learn something every day.

rbryan
06-21-2007, 03:17 PM
I promise I'm not making it up. Surprised you haven't seen that installment of Americas Game.

silver & black
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
I promise I'm not making it up. Surprised you haven't seen that installment of Americas Game.

I believe you. I haven't had much time for TV lately. I'll try and catch it.

tony hipchest
06-21-2007, 05:42 PM
The whole thing is being made way too much of. We lose a week in the weight room... who gives a shit? Lets get on with camp, then everyone can mind their own business, and the NFLPA can get on with... whatever it is they do.really, the only big deal about it is that it pretty much takes a player to narc to bring down the heat. the giants players did it to tom coughlin a year or 2 ago. seattle is rumored to be looked at now because of a newspaper report of how theyve been practicing that pretty much describes infractions taking place. however, no member of the seattle team has blown the whistle so nothing may come of it.

i did see the 80's americas team. if there was any doubt about the raiders cheating this (especially matt millens commentary) definitely puts it to rest.

Livinginthe past
06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
If they were, how intense could it possibly be without pads? I would wager that EVERY team does the same thing. I think the no contact rule is being taken way too literally... I would think that some contact (touching) is inevitable during OTA's.

The whole thing is being made way too much of. We lose a week in the weight room... who gives a shit? Lets get on with camp, then everyone can mind their own business, and the NFLPA can get on with... whatever it is they do.

FWIW, I think the Raiders are being hard done by - and that goes for any other team that gets punished on the testimony of a whistle blower.

Either its an enforceable rule or its not - the NFLPA clearly don't want to have anything to do with it and are only moving when a player squeals on his own team.

Sad state of affairs.

Preacher
06-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Here is a question...

Is the NFLPA doing this to draw attention AWAY from the whole "Let's screw our retired players" problems that are happening?

Livinginthe past
06-22-2007, 03:17 AM
Here is a question...

Is the NFLPA doing this to draw attention AWAY from the whole "Let's screw our retired players" problems that are happening?

If they were being a little more pro-active I would say yes - as it is they are only making a show of enforcing these regs once they are put in a situation where they can't ignore the evidence.

Like most of the 'bad rep' the NFL/NFLPA gets - it just keeps its head down and ignores it - confident that people will soon let it go once the season starts.

Preacher
06-22-2007, 03:50 AM
If they were being a little more pro-active I would say yes - as it is they are only making a show of enforcing these regs once they are put in a situation where they can't ignore the evidence.

Like most of the 'bad rep' the NFL/NFLPA gets - it just keeps its head down and ignores it - confident that people will soon let it go once the season starts.

Unfortunately, your right....

TackleMeBen
06-22-2007, 09:19 AM

Maybe he should borrow it and hang it in the lions locker room... oh wait, if they cheated they would still lose b/c millen would find a way to screw it up...:thumbsup: