PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith

moedap
06-18-2007, 03:48 PM
The Pittsburgh No-Shows
Players fail to show up at mall for autograph signing event, but Steelers fans make do with memorabilia
by MARIE GILBERT marieg@herald-mail.com

HALFWAY - There was no mistaking his allegiance.

Wearing a Hines Ward jersey and holding a Terrible Towel, Brad Byers had to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

Byers came straight from his overnight shift at a local warehouse to stand in line on Saturday at Valley Mall for autographs from four current Steelers.

Admitting he was tired, he quickly brushed it off.

"I can sleep tomorrow," Byers said. "The Steelers are in town."

Unfortunately, he was wrong.

As Steeler Nation converged on the mall, word spread that the noon autograph session with defensive backs Anthony Smith and Ryan Clark had been canceled.

Clark, who was visiting family in New Orleans, arrived at the airport to find out his flight had been delayed. He would be unable to get another flight until early afternoon - too late for the autograph session at the mall. Anthony Smith wanted more money for his appearance.

"When he found out that Clark was unable to make it, he wanted us to double his fee," said promoter Pete Ausiello of B&G Sports Memorabilia, who represents the four players who were to appear at the mall.

"We won't be held ransom for more money," he added...

I hope he doesnt turn out to be an a##hole.

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Anthony Smith wanted more money for his appearance.

"When he found out that Clark was unable to make it, he wanted us to double his fee," said promoter Pete Ausiello of B&G Sports Memorabilia, who represents the four players who were to appear at the mall.

Reeeeeeal classy move there Anthony. Keep letting that great personality of yours shine through and keep proving to me that you have such a high level of commonsense and maturity. Your doing a damn good job, keep it up buddy! :thumbsup:

:shake02:

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
:thmbdown: :thmbdown: :thmbdown:

Livinginthe past
06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Well that sucks.

You know in years gone by that this guy would have taken a pasting from the vets in practice for pulling a stunt like that - as it is Tomlin will probably have to pull him back into line.

Its not that big a deal when compared to the Bengals fiasco, but then nobody likes to have an as*hole on their team (especially a guy barely out of football diapers).

What odds an apology for the 'misunderstanding' from Smith in the next few days?

alittlejazzbird
06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I remember when Joe Montana did a similar thing when Monongahela, PA (near where I grew up) wanted to hold a "Joe Montana Day" celebration in his honor a number of years ago. He refused to show unless they threw buckets of money at him (they didn't, and he didn't show), and we've all heard the rumor that money was why he didn't show for the pregame intro during Super Bowl XL. Athletes pull that kind of primadonna stuff all the time.

Now, Anthony Smith is no Joe Montana, and even if he were, it was still a pretty boneheaded thing to do. I'll bet Coach Tomlin has a few words with young Mr. Smith about the perils of believing your own hype, and the professional responsibility a player has to the fans. Wonder if he'll show up in The News?

I feel bad for those poor fans in Hagerstown, for whom this appearance was obviously a huge deal. Anyone who makes their living performing for an audience would do well to remember that without the audience, you have no job...think of all the goodwill Anthony Smith could have earned just by smiling and signing autographs for those folks.

It's too bad he's struggling to pay the bills on an NFL player's paltry salary. Sheesh.

Steeltown58
06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
:dang:

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
The Pittsburgh No-Shows
Players fail to show up at mall for autograph signing event, but Steelers fans make do with memorabilia

marie gilbert (?whoever she is?) cant write an article worth crap and needs to be fired. what a hack.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree its B.S....he wanted more money since the others couldn't make due to travel problems and James Harrison attending a friends football camp.....But lets not nail Smith to the cross just yet for making one bonehead move......Now if this becomes a pattern for Smith acting like an A-hole then by all means blast the guy and nail him to the cross.....lol

Really though just as long as Smith is knocking the crap out of TJ Humpshismama and picking footballs off then I could careless if he is an A-hole.....lol

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I wonder what it would sound like if it read.....

Palmer, who was visiting family in California, arrived at the airport to find out his flight had been delayed. He would be unable to get another flight until early afternoon - too late for the autograph session at the mall. Chad Johnson wanted more money for his appearance.

"When he found out that Palmer was unable to make it, he wanted us to double his fee," said promoter Pete Ausiello of O&B Sports Memorabilia, who represents the four players who were to appear at the mall.

Interesting how some things work. Bonehead move #2 on Anthony Smith's part. Personally, I'm not crucifying the guy, I'm just keeping tabs.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Whats interesting?....I could careless what the Bengals players do.......lol I just think Smith deserves a break before we jump to nail him on the cross...........thats all....The players are being paid to help the team win games not to be nice guys...lol

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Whats interesting?....I could careless what the Bengals players do.......lol I just think Smith deserves a break before we jump to nail him on the cross...........thats all....The players are being paid to help the team win games not to be nice guys...lol

I'm speaking in general on any Steeler board. It's just funny how in other situations a move like this would have a player executed on site (as long as he's not sporting B&G of course). Once again, I'm not crucifying the guy, just keeping an eye out. Personally, I'm not a fan of dick moves and what he did was a dick move. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper if I were waiting outside all damn day for an autograph and big time Mr. Second Year Player decides to cop out. Simply putting myself in other people's shoes.

It would be a completely different situation if this were a situation where a guy walks up off the street and asks for an autograph. That's where being a "nice guy" is your decision. But when your expected to be at an autograph signing and you don't show because you feel your not getting paid enough, that's a dick move in my book.

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm speaking in general. It's just funny how in other situations a move like this would have a player executed on site (as long as he's not sporting B&G of course). Once again, not crucifying the guy, just keeping an eye out. I'm not a fan of dick moves and what he did was a dick move.
i'll wait until smith has a checklist in his locker, calls himself "dos-tres", does about 20 clown show celebrations, publicly call out his opponents, throw punches at coaches during halftime, make empty threats of an "iron city celebration", encourage his teamates to clean their cleats with the terrible towel, before i put him into the same class as chad johnson.

chad johnson would get ripped on this board because his reputation has earned it. all smith has done was high step after his 1st interception in the nfl. :hunch: appearantly cowher thought stunts like that were cute despite the jutting jaw done for show on the sidelines.

perhaps that poorly written article left out that smith was asked to stay twice as long to accompany double the signings with half as many signee's for the show. who knows.

meeker30
06-18-2007, 05:19 PM
I lived where the 4 steelers were a no show the 4 that didn't show was Anthony Smith, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, and Larry Foote - Two said they had problem with Airline that the miss or plane was delay -- Harrison when to a Friends Football camp - and Anthony Smith wanted to double his fee because Clarke wasn't going to show -- Fans were ask to pay 20dollar each item they wanted to get sign. I just can't believe not even one of the 4 show -- that really disppoint me as a diehard steelers fan.

Wearing a Hines Ward jersey and holding a Terrible Towel, Brad Byers had to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

Byers came straight from his overnight shift at a local warehouse to stand in line on Saturday at Valley Mall for autographs from four current Steelers.

Admitting he was tired, he quickly brushed it off.

"I can sleep tomorrow," Byers said. "The Steelers are in town."

Unfortunately, he was wrong.

As Steeler Nation converged on the mall, word spread that the noon autograph session with defensive backs Anthony Smith and Ryan Clark had been canceled.

Clark, who was visiting family in New Orleans, arrived at the airport to find out his flight had been delayed. He would be unable to get another flight until early afternoon - too late for the autograph session at the mall. Anthony Smith wanted more money for his appearance.

"We won't be held ransom for more money," he added.

Steelers fans purchasing tickets for autographs were told the 2 to 4 p.m. session still was scheduled.

But it wasn't long before the hundreds of fans on hand learned that linebacker James Harrison had canceled his appearance. Instead, he decided to attend a football camp sponsored by a friend.

That left linebacker Larry Foote, who told organizers he would be there. But, flying out of Detroit, he encountered a number of airline problems and also missed the event.

"We've never had anything like this happen," Ausiello said. "We've had a player here or there pull out on us, but nothing like this."

Brian Kaltenbaugh, marketing director of Valley Mall, said the day was disappointing, but "things happen that sometimes are beyond our control."

"There had been a lot of buzz about the Steelers being here," he said. "There are so many Steelers fans in this area. But they seem to be taking this very well."

Although the players were not on hand for autographs, there was plenty of Steeler merchandise available from vendors.

Arthur Gibson of Greencastle, Pa., wearing a Super Bowl XL championship cap, brought his son to the mall to get his football autographed.

"Since the players aren't here, we were told that organizers will take the ball, get it signed and then ship it back to us free of charge," Gibson said.

Gibson said he grew up in Ligonier, Pa., which is east of Pittsburgh, and has been a fan since he was born.

"I'll be a Steelers fan forever," he said.

Gibson said he just built a new house, and is planning on having a Steelers room.

"I already have a lot of stuff," he said. "But today, I'm adding to it."

Corey McCarney of Hagerstown had come to the mall for autographs, but also to purchase Steelers merchandise.

"Our house is all Steelers," he said. "Even the walls are black and gold. So I'm always looking for something else to add to my collection."

Jason Armstrong of Hagerstown said being a Steelers fan comes naturally.

"My family is from Pittsburgh, so it's in my blood," he said.

Armstrong said he was headed to the beach, but had to stop off at the mall for the Steelers event.

A member of a local Steelers fan club, Armstrong also signed up Saturday to be part of a large national fan club.

"I'm really filled with optimism about this coming season," he said. "I guarantee, the Steelers will be in the playoffs."

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
i'll wait until smith has a checklist in his locker, calls himself "dos-tres", does about 20 clown show celebrations, publicly call out his opponents, throw punches at coaches during halftime, make empty threats of an "iron city celebration", encourage his teamates to clean their cleats with the terrible towel, before i put him into the same class as chad johnson.

chad johnson would get ripped on this board because his reputation has earned it. all smith has done was high step after his 1st interception in the nfl. :hunch: appearantly cowher thought stunts like that were cute despite the jutting jaw done for show on the sidelines.

perhaps that poorly written article left out that smith was asked to stay twice as long to accompany double the signings with half as many signee's for the show. who knows.

I'm not comparing Chad Johnson to Anthony Smith. I'm comparing the situations.

Here we go:

(Insert any Bengal's name here) did not show up because he wanted more money. Thread would be eight pages long with insults out the ass.

onthebus36
06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I think Mr. Smith is going to be taught a valuable lesson over this. I hope he looks at this as a "learning opportunity."

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm not comparing Chad Johnson to Anthony Smith. I'm comparing the situations.

Here we go:

(Insert any Bengal's name here) did not show up because he wanted more money. Thread would be eight pages long with insults out the ass.

It would be a lot of fun, though. :banana::chicken::banana:

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't think that's a rumor. "His people" confirmed that.

I think Mr. Smith is going to be taught a valuable lesson over this. Looks at this as a "learning opportunity."

It wasn't and that's why Montana is known as a complete prick in these parts to this day. San Fran can have him.

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
It would be a lot of fun, though. :banana::chicken::banana:

Isn't it always? :wink02:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm speaking in general on any Steeler board. It's just funny how in other situations a move like this would have a player executed on site (as long as he's not sporting B&G of course). Once again, I'm not crucifying the guy, just keeping an eye out. Personally, I'm not a fan of dick moves and what he did was a dick move. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper if I were waiting outside all damn day for an autograph and big time Mr. Second Year Player decides to cop out. Simply putting myself in other people's shoes.

It would be a completely different situation if this were a situation where a guy walks up off the street and asks for an autograph. That's where being a "nice guy" is your decision. But when your expected to be at an autograph signing and you don't show because you feel your not getting paid enough, that's a dick move in my book.

I agree 83 it was B.S. for Smith to ask for more money no doubt.....I'm just waiting for more evidence over time to say if he is a complete butt or not.....lol

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I lived where the 4 steelers were a no show the 4 that didn't show was Anthony Smith, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, and Larry Foote - Two said they had problem with Airline that the miss or plane was delay -- Harrison when to a Friends Football camp - and Anthony Smith wanted to double his fee because Clarke wasn't going to show -- Fans were ask to pay 20dollar each item they wanted to get sign. I just can't believe not even one of the 4 show -- that really disppoint me as a diehard steelers fan.

I'm sure the people waiting for hours were pretty pissed off and understandably so. Not exactly the greatest PR move in the world and I can't imagine the Rooney's or Tomlin are smiling. Granted, it's not the end of the world but it does show a lack of class and respect to the people who watch you catch a football for a living.

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree 83 it was B.S. for Smith to ask for more money no doubt.....I'm just waiting for more evidence over time to say if he is a complete butt or not.....lol

I hear ya and agree. I'm not killing the guy and completely ruling out his career as a Steeler. But this is the second mental fart this guy has had since he's been here (that's not counting his comments after LeBeau reamed him out). I'm just keeping track, that's all.

The Duke
06-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Really though just as long as Smith is knocking the crap out of TJ Humpshismama and picking footballs off then I could careless if he is an A-hole.....lol

Yeah, although I'm a little disappointed on him he does a lot on the field and will do more next season, he does has to change his attitude though, after all he's in the best football team ever :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, although I'm a little disappointed on him he does a lot on the field and will do more next season, he does has to change his attitude though, after all he's in the best football team ever :tt02:

That's all I'm saying. I LOVE what I saw from him last year with the exception of his idiotic high step while during play. Kid hits hard and has a nose for the ball.

ChronoCross
06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I am not going to throw the guy to the wolves. But there is a lot of players out there that go the extra mile for the fans. If this is any showing of his attitude towards money then it would almost suggest he might want that huge contract when its time and I mean huge, we might not be able to afford him if he turns out to be what we think he can be on the field.

tony hipchest
06-18-2007, 05:55 PM
i assume smith didnt major in economics in college. he probably looked at it as 2 "signers" doing the work of 4 = double the pay. the kid probably thought the promoters were pulling a fast one on him and perhaps he was looking at it from a simple perspective of supply and demand. (im just hypothesizing here)

in reality, at 20 bucks a pop, he theoretically would have twice the items to sign and twice the money to make. (although it would take double the time to sign them all)

ultimately time is money, i guess. unfortunately, nowadays, most atheletes expect their signatures to find their way onto ebay, rather than on some kids shelf for life.

ChronoCross
06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
i assume smith didnt major in economics in college. he probably looked at it as 2 "signers" doing the work of 4 = double the pay. the kid probably thought the promoters were pulling a fast one on him and perhaps he was looking at it from a simple perspective of supply and demand. (im just hypothesizing here)

in reality, at 20 bucks a pop, he theoretically would have twice the items to sign and twice the money to make. (although it would take double the time to sign them all)

ultimately time is money, i guess. unfortunately, nowadays, most atheletes expect their signatures to find their way onto ebay, rather than on some kids shelf for life.

True True..

ChronoCross
06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
That's all I'm saying. I LOVE what I saw from him last year with the exception of his idiotic high step while during play. Kid hits hard and has a nose for the ball.

Now you have to admit that the high step brought a smile to your face. Maybe it was not professional but for that slight moment it was funny. And he got a good rem when he got to the sidelines.

Preacher
06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
What a shame.

Plane flight delayed... I can understand that... However, I always try to fly in THE DAY BEFORE so that I have that kind of time... JUST IN CASE.

However... Not showing up, Just because you wnat more money???

Not classy... Just not classy.

83-Steelers-43... your right.. we would be screaming about a Bengal doing this... We should be screaming about Anthony Smith doing it.

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Now you have to admit that the high step brought a smile to your face. Maybe it was not professional but for that slight moment it was funny. And he got a good rem when he got to the sidelines.

I'm being completely honest with you.

My first thought and excuse my language was "What in the hell are you doing? The ball is still in play, pick up the yards!!!". After it was over I looked over to my buddy and said "This kid is a rookie, what in the hell is he doing?".

I'll tell you what would have "brought a smile" to my face. Hugging, high-fiving and celebrating with his teammates would have "brought a smile" to my face. Him laying out Bengal WR's like there's no tomorrow "brought a HUGE smile" to my face. That's just me I guess.

revefsreleets
06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Well, I can't blame any of the players too much, because it's not like they are the one's who set these things up and negotiate fee's and stuff. You can probably blame the hosts for the flights, because I'm guessing they cheaped out and gave the players bad flights or coach seats or something, and then blame the agent for Smith missing. The exchange probably went something like this:

Smith: "So what's up?"
Agent: "Some guys got screwed on their flights and canceled...now, Anthony, listen. I know you want to sign for the fans and all, but I sense an opportunity here that we should explore."
Smith: "Huh? Why aren't the other guys here? What are you talking about?"
Agent: "Look, if you are the only guy to show up, you're going to be signing for hours and hours and hours and that's not fair. I think I can get you more money for this...a lot more money"
Smith: "Really?"
Agent: "I can double it, at least. Listen baby, help me, help you! I'll double your money! Hold on, and I'll get back to you"
Smith: "Well, okay, I guess"

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Smith: Nobody else showed up? OK, well let me sign a few autographs and I'll be on my way. It's no big deal.

They (the players) are the one's who agreed to sign autographs. They were not made to sign autographs nor did they have people coming up to them on the streets asking for an autograph. But, if money is your main concern over class and showing others respect then I guess I can understand where Mr. Smith is coming from even though I find it pathetic and sad.

Eitherway, it's pretty obvious to me.

revefsreleets
06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't know, man, agents have a lot of control. Probably too much. And Smith is still a pretty young kid. I'm not sure I'm ready to blame the young player over the super savvy and greedy agent who gets 10% off the top.

Indy_Steelers
06-18-2007, 07:22 PM

A break form what? Not only should he be nailed to a cross but it should be upside down as well.

This needs to be looked at from the perspective of the person who promoted this event. Doing events like this is how he makes a living. People will make excuses for the players but it is a reflection of his business. People will blame him but it is not his fault.

I have worked with players at events similar to this. They were getting paid to be at this event. They were all under contract.

This is not the first time, unfortunately, James Harrison has done this. ( I like James, I have met him.) Thank God he showed up at the event I did.

It is too bad we live in a day when a hand shake is meaningless, now it seems that a contract is meaningless as well. They put their names on the line but I guess their names mean nothing. A man should be able to keep his word.:banging:

Preacher
06-18-2007, 07:22 PM
But, if money is your main concern over class and showing others respect then I guess I can understand where Mr. Smith is coming from even though I find it pathetic and sad.

Eitherway, it's pretty obvious to me.

Yep.

Sad, because I was SO excited about Smith. Still am as a player. But I just HATE to see this. I expect more class from Steeler players... ESPECIALLLY towards Steeler fans!

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Yep.

Sad, because I was SO excited about Smith. Still am as a player. But I just HATE to see this. I expect more class from Steeler players... ESPECIALLLY towards Steeler fans!

Trust me, Preacher, if the kid goes on to have a HoF-worthy career, nobody's gonna care. An example of that is right here in Denver - Elway is worshipped like a god out here, but from what I've heard, he's also one of the biggest pr*cks inside city limits. Screaming at kids (not adults) who "bother" him for an autograph, treating the wait staffs at some of the fancy restaurants in LoDo (lower downtown Denver) like shit and then stiffing the tab, and all the while having his ass kissed. It's sickening.

Preacher
06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Trust me, Preacher, if the kid goes on to have a HoF-worthy career, nobody's gonna care. An example of that is right here in Denver - Elway is worshipped like a god out here, but from what I've heard, he's also one of the biggest pr*cks inside city limits. Screaming at kids (not adults) who "bother" him for an autograph, treating the wait staffs at some of the fancy restaurants in LoDo (lower downtown Denver) like shit and then stiffing the tab, and all the while having his ass kissed. It's sickening.

I would care. Absolutely care. And from what I read in this forum... many would care.

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I would care. Absolutely care. And from what I read in this forum... many would care.

Please allow me to rephrase - not enough people would care, let's put it that way.

alittlejazzbird
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM

Anthony Smith is gonna be just fine. He's an exciting player with what appears to be a huge amount of potential. He's also very young and full of himself, as I imagine most of us would be if we found ourselves a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

(Well....I'm female so that would be impossible, but you know what I mean. :wink02:)

He did a foolish thing, almost surely with no malicious intent whatsoever, and you can bet your boots he'll hear about it from someone in the Steelers organization. As Preacher and others have noted, his behavior is not the Steeler way of doing things. But he'll learn.

Preacher
06-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Please allow me to rephrase - not enough people would care, let's put it that way.

Sadly, you could be right...

Anthony Smith is gonna be just fine. He's an exciting player with what appears to be a huge amount of potential. He's also very young and full of himself, as I imagine most of us would be if we found ourselves a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It is not his on the field stuff that I am worried about. It is this kind of stuff that I don't know about... and worries me.

GBMelBlount
06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
This is a free country. Anthony Smith can do whatever he wants as long as he earns his money & the Rooney's approve. That being said. The reason I love the Steelers is because of the tradition of amazing teams comprised of amazing players and those who are also great people. Franco, Jerome & everyone in between. It may be wrong, but I think of THE Mean Joe Greene as portrayed in the Coca Cola adds, then I look at Anthony Smith, it saddens me. Regardless, he is a great talent &

Still excited!

GB

SteelFan4Life
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I, too, live in the town where these four players were 'supposed' to be this past Saturday for autographs. Also, I'm a member of the Steelers Fan Club that was sponsoring the event. Unfortunately, I was out-of-town this past weekend (camping) - so I do not know the full extent of it. Just heard from other club members and read the article in our local newspaper.

I was really shocked :jawdrop: to hear about Anthony Smith's antics when he found out Ryan Clark would not be attending. I do not know his situation or his thoughts, but this situation truly leaves a BAD TASTE in my mouth.

How can you diss the fans who support you - cheered you into a Super Bowl - and help support your salary for MORE $$?? I guess over 100K is just NOT ENOUGH $$ for players anymore. He definitely lost a lot of respect from me.

I fell in love with the Steelers because of how classy 99% of their players have always been throughout their tenure. Then, a non-marquee player like Smith does this? Not cool...

Preacher
06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
This is a free country. Anthony Smith can do whatever he wants as long as he earns his money & the Rooney's approve. That being said. The reason I love the Steelers is because of the tradition of amazing teams comprised of amazing players and those who are also great people. Franco, Jerome & everyone in between. It may be wrong, but I think of THE Mean Joe Greene as portrayed in the Coca Cola adds, then I look at Anthony Smith, it saddens me. Regardless, he is a great talent &

Still excited!

GB

Yep... Mean Joe Greene had a heart... Just not for the other team! I guess that is what bothers me... it just seems heartless to duck a bunch of fans looking for signatures when they were SCHEDULED to do so.

Now, if he was out to dinner with his wife or mother or child, and people came asking for signatures, I could understand him saying no. But not this.

fansince'76
06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
It may be wrong, but I think of THE Mean Joe Greene as portrayed in the Coca Cola adds, then I look at Anthony Smith, it saddens me.

Most perfect contrast of the situation I've seen mentioned in this thread, GB. I also somewhat remember (so please correct me if I'm wrong) an impromptu autograph signing session not long after that commercial was made where Mean Joe signed a slew of jerseys for kids for free. What a novel concept.

Preacher
06-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Most perfect contrast of the situation I've seen mentioned in this thread, GB. I also somewhat remember (so please correct me if I'm wrong) an impromptu autograph signing session not long after that commercial was made where Mean Joe signed a slew of jerseys for kids for free. What a novel concept.

Yeah...

Imagine that?!

Galax Steeler
06-19-2007, 04:14 AM
I think they is more to it than just money.He had other reasons not showing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-19-2007, 07:26 AM
:mad: :nono: :mad:

...nuff said

stlrtruck
06-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Really, I think that as Steelers fans that we have become spoiled to a point. I mean we are use to players and coaches that understand that tradition that is associated with our team, our owners, and yes, even us the fans. And personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Players coming to don the black and gold need to understand that they aren't coming here just to play football. They are coming into a fraternity, almost as large as the NFL itself, and with a history that speaks volumes.

Anthony Smith obviously wasn't informed about this. Now I'm not going to crucify him just yet but I will say this. Someone needs to take him up the incline, and tell him to look over the city. Then as he's peering over the landscape he needs to take in several shots. 1 - The closed steel mills, 2 - The 2 new stadiums, 3 - The thousands upon thousands of fanatical fans walking/driving around town, 4 - The fact that Pittsburgh is a town that has many issues which 3 are eating, drinking, and football! (don't confuse the first two with the last one. eating and drinking are necessary while football is life in this town)!

Anthony I get excited when you are on the field. I love it when you lay the lumber on opposing players. But don't turn into that guy that we all want to hate. You're young, energetic, and talented - don't join the darkside! This league has enough TOs and Moss type people!!!

onthebus36
06-19-2007, 08:54 AM
I agree about being spoiled. In other towns, this would be a non-issue because this kind of thing happens all the time.

But that's just what makes the Steeler's relationship with their fans so special. Smith is coming into his second season so it's not like the team's relationship with the Steeler Nation should be news at this point. He was here for the XL afterglow and has already been taken to the woodshed for showboating. He knows the Steeler work ethic and relationship with the fans so you have to look at his choice with that background.

I like him as a player. He's an exciting play-maker and you could see that even in the preseason last year. He just needs to grow from being just another spoiled professional football player into being a Steeler.

tony hipchest
06-19-2007, 08:58 AM
do we even know that the promoters werent trying to pull a fast one and take advantage of him?

i remember the good ol days when santonio holmes was the only overjudged scumbag on the team.

Indy_Steelers
06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
i assume smith didn't major in economics in college. he probably looked at it as 2 "signers" doing the work of 4 = double the pay. the kid probably thought the promoters were pulling a fast one on him and perhaps he was looking at it from a simple perspective of supply and demand. (I'm just hypothesizing here)

ultimately time is money, i guess. unfortunately, nowadays, most athletes expect their signatures to find their way onto ebay, rather than on some kids shelf for life.

Because of one or two players not showing up he might even have to sign less. I will always go back to the fact that he signed a contract. If he did not like the contract he should not have signed it. I hope the promoters gets each of them to sign 500 items for this mess. I could only imagine what this thread would be like if it was the promoter who canceled at the last minute and did not bother to tell the players. Quit making excuses for these guys. As angry as I am about this, I am glad that at least they are not being arrested. I guess if this is the worst we have it is still better than most teams. I guess because the Rooney's set the bar high and players like Jerome who took multiple pay cuts to stay these guys would learn something. I do not hate these guys but what they did was wrong and frustrating.

steelersfanman92
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
That is terrible. What happened to the Steelers being blue collar. Come on Steelers are better than that.

Livinginthe past
06-19-2007, 01:25 PM
do we even know that the promoters werent trying to pull a fast one and take advantage of him?

i remember the good ol days when santonio holmes was the only overjudged scumbag on the team.

Its a conspiracy!

Someone call Mulder!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/johanna403b014941a0d-web.jpg

tony hipchest
06-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Its a conspiracy!

Someone call Mulder!

:chuckle:

i was thinking about a SN change to notorious public enemy #1's-

tony montana
tony soprano
BulletTooth Tony

looks like i have to add Tony Smith to the list...

Preacher
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Its a conspiracy!

Someone call Mulder!

Much like the Patriots ability to win the big one...

Mulder has disappeared.

Stlrs4Life
06-19-2007, 03:50 PM
What's funny is, Anthony Smith isn't even a starter yet, he just got out of rookie status. He's from the Youngstown area, maybe the greed wore off on him.

onthebus36
06-19-2007, 04:22 PM
When you think about it, it's good this is the biggest off-field issue we have to talk about. Consider what we were talking about this time last year!

The Duke
06-19-2007, 05:48 PM
When you think about it, it's good this is the biggest off-field issue we have to talk about. Consider what we were talking about this time last year!

That's true, besides Deshea, which was something minor, nothing bad has happened off the field. Good job Steeers :helmet:

onthebus36
06-19-2007, 05:54 PM
That's true, besides Deshea, which was something minor, nothing bad has happened off the field. Good job Steeers :helmet:

Knock wood... :wink02:

Elvis
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Sadly enough that this is what the pro sports athletes have come to. It is getting worst every year, and I remember that Montana junk a few years back, what a jack$$.. most of your high profile, or suppposedly high profiled in Smith's eyes, are starting to get so money hungry it doesnt matter who they screw over. You see even Major League Baseball players going around the field signing balls all the time before and after games. The NFL is getting rediculously popular and the players think, know, that they can do this and get away with it. Its just time the fans maybe take a stand and dont pay the price and stop going to some these games and see what the players and owners think about it then.:coffee:

tony hipchest
06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
holy cow! now we should boycott the games?

maybe we should just boycott paying $20 for some players ink scribbled on a piece of asswipe or snotrag in hopes that it will actually be worth something 50 years down the road...

i love autographs as much as the next person, but getting one isnt gonna make or break me, or change my opinion of anyone.

GBMelBlount
06-19-2007, 09:57 PM

maybe we should just boycott paying $20 for some players ink scribbled on a piece of asswipe or snotrag in hopes that it will actually be worth something 50 years down the road...

i love autographs as much as the next person, but getting one isnt gonna make or break me, or change my opinion of anyone.

Snotrag $5. Asswipe...priceless.

steelpride12
06-19-2007, 10:10 PM
that kind of thing makes me so mad i wish football could not be bout money and just be about winning a superbowl and not playing for all the dam money it makes me mad to see of TV "another player not at mini-camp cuz of money"!!!!!!! :banging:

tony hipchest
06-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Snotrag $5. Asswipe...priceless.
:toofunny:

now that is priceless...

stlrtruck
06-20-2007, 07:45 AM
that kind of thing makes me so mad i wish football could not be bout money and just be about winning a superbowl and not playing for all the dam money it makes me mad to see of TV "another player not at mini-camp cuz of money"!!!!!!! :banging:

They do have football that is not about the money but more about winning - it's called pop-warner leagues. And as long as people have a fanatic approach towards sports, it will always be about the money!

HometownGal
06-20-2007, 08:03 AM

This is where I'm at. As long as they do their job on the field, I don't give a rat's patoot if they don't sign autographs. With most of 'em, my signature is just as invaluable as theirs anywho. :smile:

onthebus36
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM

I agree. This is going too far. I do agree that it looks like Anthony dissed some fans and made a bad choice. I'm sure someone will educate him and we'll probably never hear about it. But the reality is this is one pick or really good hit away from being forgotten.

Like I said before, after reading about Pacman and the other players in serious trouble this weekend, we should be thankful this is all we have to talk about.

nwksteeler
06-20-2007, 06:31 PM
There are always two sides to a story, so I won't bash the kid yet. But if it is true you should at least make a name for yourself before you destroy your image.

Indy_Steelers
06-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Still excited!

GB

It is a free country and he can do whatever he wants. He wanted to sign a contract or he would not have signed it. That is when the decisison to be there was made.

BeuffordLTD
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
I can't believe the pissing and moaning in this thread about a freaking autograph session.

I am so sure that the memorabilia guys are sponsoring this event out of the goodness of their hearts...sheesh.

This wasn't a charity event folks, it was a money making endeavor.

If contracts were involved, get a lawyer and sue.

The memorabilia guys are nothing but leeches that try to make money off the efforts of professional sports players. As soon as news arrived that some players weren't going to show, the organizers go sceaming to the first reporter that would hear the story.

Gosh, imagine that...professional football players have something better to do.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and I doubt it will be the last.

Untwist your panties, folks.

jjpro11
06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
it doesnt sound good.. but i know he was signing last year at training camp. he signed two different balls for my family. we'll see if he changed this year i guess.

Preacher
06-21-2007, 01:02 AM
I can't believe the pissing and moaning in this thread about a freaking autograph session.

I am so sure that the memorabilia guys are sponsoring this event out of the goodness of their hearts...sheesh.

This wasn't a charity event folks, it was a money making endeavor.

If contracts were involved, get a lawyer and sue.

The memorabilia guys are nothing but leeches that try to make money off the efforts of professional sports players. As soon as news arrived that some players weren't going to show, the organizers go sceaming to the first reporter that would hear the story.

Gosh, imagine that...professional football players have something better to do.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and I doubt it will be the last.

Untwist your panties, folks.

Let me put it to you in another way. If you made an appointment for the phone company man to show up, and you took the day off work, and he didn't show up because he decided that he wasn't going to be paid enough to come to your house, what would you do? Just say hey... he must've had something better to do? No. You would get on the phone and call the company and give them a piece of your mind. Why? Because you and an AGREEMENT that was broken. You changed the plans, and the person decided that your time, plans, etc. weren't important enough for him.

I expect professionals to act like human beings. I expect human beings to treat each other with respect. One way you do that is by honoring your word and showing up at things you say you will show up to. And being a "Professional football player" doesn't excuse anyone from being a decent human being. I think what is worse, is that most of us accept these lower standards.

Aussie_steeler
06-21-2007, 05:50 AM
News Flash - Roger Goodell is reviewing the Anthony Smith incident in relation to the NFL's new personal conduct policy. Anthony Smith's actions are being compared to other incidents by NFL players ( Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Chris Henry...) Possible suspension for Smith in this new zero-tolerance era of Goodell.

Really folks is this where we are heading.

In my world it works like this for all human beings. No-one should have higher or lower standards. If the mistakes arent criminal in nature then

One stuff up = MISTAKE (let them know its a mistake and hope they learn from it)
Two stuff ups = STUPID (tell them that this will never happen again or else)
Three or more stuff ups = PATTERN OF STUPIDITY / TIME TO MODIFY BEHAVIOUR OR TAKE ACTION

Move on and give the guy a chance to redeem himself via his future actions.

stlrtruck
06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Move on and give the guy a chance to redeem himself via his future actions.

Fair enough. I guess considering this is one of the worst stories so far this off season, we really don't have much to be upset about!

LambertIsGod58
06-21-2007, 07:42 AM
First off, I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread. I will say that I agree with those that say let's now nail Smith to the wall just yet. His job is to play football. Not to swap spit with the fans. If he does, that's a bonus and it should be appreciated. I understand the take, we just need to remember that he is still just a baby yet. Bradshaw has a big history a being an a**hole. He didn't even go to the Chief's funeral. But he is still loved in Pittsburgh, I'm sure the four rings he helped bring us helps alot. Let's face it, most of our jobs pay us from money received from customers. Do we really care about the customer? No.....We care about what we can do with our paycheck. So why should Anthony Smith be different? Because we want him to? That's just not a good enough reason.

rbryan
06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Another example of people jumping to conclusions. Don't bother to consider that there may be another side to this story other than the one painted by some ditsy reporter. Maybe his agent is the one demanding more $. That is what players pay thier agents to do.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's not like this was a charity benefit. There weren't a room full of cancer patients waiting for him at Mercy Hospital. These are promoters that leech off these guys and pass the cost on to the fans.

I wouldn't give $20 for his autograph to begin with.

GBMelBlount
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
it doesnt sound good.. but i know he was signing last year at training camp. he signed two different balls for my family. we'll see if he changed this year i guess.

That's great that he signed your balls!

Livinginthe past
06-22-2007, 03:20 AM
That's great that he signed your balls!

Im waiting for the inevitable Brady joke....... :wink02:

Preacher
06-22-2007, 03:48 AM
I'll tell you all this much. If Jerome was on the team, you know he would be having a little discussion with Smith on the "Pittsburgh" way!

Livinginthe past
06-22-2007, 04:23 AM
I'll tell you all this much. If Jerome was on the team, you know he would be having a little discussion with Smith on the "Pittsburgh" way!

You know, I would think most teams fans would expect one of their idols to show a little respect for them.

The idea that Anthony Smith is gullible enough to allow his agent to hoodwink him into asking for double the going rate without him understanding what was going on seem laughable, to be honest.

Talk of dropping the guy from the team is also a majpr over-reaction, but as 83-43 states he is definitely one to keep an eye on.

If people are happy with him being a talented, productive a**hole then thats fair enough.

To those who find his behaviour unacceptable and want to complain about it, thats their right too.

Preacher
06-22-2007, 04:26 AM
You know, I would think most teams fans would expect one of their idols to show a little respect for them.

The idea that Anthony Smith is gullible enough to allow his agent to hoodwink him into asking for double the going rate without him understanding what was going on seem laughable, to be honest.

Talk of dropping the guy from the team is also a majpr over-reaction, but as 83-43 states he is definitely one to keep an eye on.

If people are happy with him being a talented, productive a**hole then thats fair enough.

To those who find his behaviour unacceptable and want to complain about it, thats their right too.

I gotta agree...

It is WAY too much of an overreaction to say that he needs to be kicked off the team. However, I don't like it if this starts to be a pattern. That is why I liked it when Jerome was on the team... he just sent such a good example.

rbryan
06-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Theres something not right about paying for autographs to begin with. I know it wouldn't mean as much to me as one that somebody gave out of the kindness of thier heart.

Its kinda like paying for sex. lol

LambertIsGod58
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
These players are paid to "play". Not to sign autographs. If you were asked to do something that applied to your job, wouldn't you expect to get paid for it?

Livinginthe past
06-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Theres something not right about paying for autographs to begin with. I know it wouldn't mean as much to me as one that somebody gave out of the kindness of thier heart.

Its kinda like paying for sex. lol

And you've done both?

Or just guessing?

Its a hell of an analogy either way.

rbryan
06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Stationed in Okinawa, USMC, long time ago. Short time, 10 dolla. Not very gratifiying but I was 19 and a long way from home.

rbryan
06-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Still a virgin when it comes to paying for autographs though. lol

Livinginthe past
06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Still a virgin when it comes to paying for autographs though. lol

LOL :thumbsup::sofunny::sofunny:

onthebus36
06-22-2007, 04:25 PM
These players are paid to "play". Not to sign autographs. If you were asked to do something that applied to your job, wouldn't you expect to get paid for it?

Most NFL contracts include clauses for public appearances, community/team activities, etc... so it is part of the job.

Sounds like this was outside of that so he has every right to be paid. Just wanted to be clear on the point that it's not just being paid to play.

BeuffordLTD
06-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Let me put it to you in another way. If you made an appointment for the phone company man to show up, and you took the day off work, and he didn't show up because he decided that he wasn't going to be paid enough to come to your house, what would you do? Just say hey... he must've had something better to do? No. You would get on the phone and call the company and give them a piece of your mind. Why? Because you and an AGREEMENT that was broken. You changed the plans, and the person decided that your time, plans, etc. weren't important enough for him.

I expect professionals to act like human beings. I expect human beings to treat each other with respect. One way you do that is by honoring your word and showing up at things you say you will show up to. And being a "Professional football player" doesn't excuse anyone from being a decent human being. I think what is worse, is that most of us accept these lower standards.

If I had an agreement with a company/person, and the agreement wasn't honored, I would take it up with the company/individual...I wouldn't go and trash the company/person to the press. You want a really good analogy of dealing with a business dissappointment? Try dealing with a building contractor...there's a heap of disappointment.

I find it rather interesting that the reporter and the event organizer take the other three players' excuses of transportation woes at face value, yet when Smith says the straight up truth (I want more money, since you aren't paying the other guys), folks want to bash him.

As to what you expect out of human beings, I will leave you with a quote from Alexander Pope:

"Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."

Preacher
06-23-2007, 01:07 AM
As to what you expect out of human beings, I will leave you with a quote from Alexander Pope:

"Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."

Sadly, you will always get what you expect.

I would rather raise the bar high... sure people may fail to meet it, but it produces a better life all around...

People will rise or lower to the expectations set for them.

BeuffordLTD
06-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Sadly, you will always get what you expect.

I would rather raise the bar high... sure people may fail to meet it, but it produces a better life all around...

People will rise or lower to the expectations set for them.

If you cannot express your expectations (beliefs that are centred on the future) to a certain individual, then your expectations from/for that person are meaningless and unrealistic.

Funny how you didn't address the point of the other three players. They knew they had a commitment, maybe they should have been there a day early to honor said commitment?

It's just easier to bash Smith, which seems to me, to be exactly what the organizer of the event wanted.

Preacher
06-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I wrote a big long response to BEUFFORD...

Then erased it all...

Either one expects others to act with integrity,
or they don't. Period.

I expect all to act with integrity, regardless of what position they hold in life.

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 08:33 PM
who gets the start at free safety in the season ol vet. ryan clark or the upcoming youngin anthony smith? and why?

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 08:38 PM
who gets the start at free safety in the season ol vet. ryan clark or the upcoming youngin anthony smith? and why?it doesnt matter cause both would be starters on just about any other team. were not paying clark about a million more a year to ride the bench, and the more smith plays (and the better) the harder it will be to extend him as a free agent. smith is the future and we need to give him the cheapest 2nd contract as possible. having him start and make the pro bowl is not the way to do that especially when we can possibly get the same out of clark.

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 08:40 PM
it doesnt matter cause both would be starters on just about any other team. were not paying clark about a million more a year to ride the bench, and the more smith plays (and the better) the harder it will be to extend him as a free agent. smith is the future and we need to give him the cheapest 2nd contract as possible. having him start and make the pro bowl is not the way to do that especially when we can possibly get the same out of clark.

thats what i mean i think ryan is a pretty good FS and i dont even know or think that anthony smith is ready to play but his performace in the pre-season makes me wonder...

ben2hines=6
06-24-2007, 09:00 PM
what about the regular season, this guy finally got some playing time towards the end of the year and was a stud.......i dont think theres any chance with the exception of an injury that smith doesnt start, i look for them to showcase clark in the preseason and try and get value for him

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 09:01 PM
what about the regular season, this guy finally got some playing time towards the end of the year and was a stud.......i dont think theres any chance with the exception of an injury that smith doesnt start, i look for them to showcase clark in the preseason and try and get value for him

that would be nice!! :cheers:

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
i think clark can only get better with another year in the system. smith shows flashes of being a top free safety. looking at how long chris hope rode the bench to learn the system, i dont see how smith or the steelers will be hurt by bringing smith along slowly, especially considering clark has been a starter and is earning starters money.

troy started in his 2nd season and still got burnt bad by the patriots in the afcc game. i think both smith and clark will have plenty of opportunities to make plays and regardless who is the starter, if either goes down we should be in good shape. for this year it seems that clark has already earned the position though.

The Duke
06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm hoping for Smith to start and form the best safety duo ever with Troy, but it will depend on how well he focuses the next months, he played great towards the end of last year for a rookie, but he got burn on some plays. I guess pre season will tell us.

GBMelBlount
06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
i think clark can only get better with another year in the system. smith shows flashes of being a top free safety. looking at how long chris hope rode the bench to learn the system, i dont see how smith or the steelers will be hurt by bringing smith along slowly, especially considering clark has been a starter and is earning starters money.

troy started in his 2nd season and still got burnt bad by the patriots in the afcc game. i think both smith and clark will have plenty of opportunities to make plays and regardless who is the starter, if either goes down we should be in good shape. for this year it seems that clark has already earned the position though.

This is a great point. Look at how good Troy is now. However, It DEFINITELY took him a few years. Maybe Smith has more potential but Clark is probably more consistent right now. Logic tells me Smith may be best for right now, but Smith is so exciting!. Smith may not start, but I would start him. :tt02:

SteelCzar76
06-24-2007, 11:35 PM
it doesnt matter cause both would be starters on just about any other team. were not paying clark about a million more a year to ride the bench, and the more smith plays (and the better) the harder it will be to extend him as a free agent. smith is the future and we need to give him the cheapest 2nd contract as possible. having him start and make the pro bowl is not the way to do that especially when we can possibly get the same out of clark.

You make a very good point here in a fiscal sense Tone. But even with that said,.......if Smith just simply outperforms Clark in camp and in the pre season, How could he not 'get the nod' in regards to being a starter ?

"Buisness is buisness",...i know. But in the NFL winning is arguably always indeed the greatest way to increase 'profit' (if you will)

Meaning,......put your players on the field that give you the best opportunity for victory. And if Smith proves to consistently be the 'impact' player that he has shown flashes of being, (As oppossed to a simply 'solid' but unexceptional Clark),....well in my opinion the 'job' should be his.

And i'm almost certain that the F/O is firmly capable of dealing with the financial ramifications of as much.

ajs8207
06-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Smith should start, with Clark possibly being in the nickel package

Galax Steeler
06-25-2007, 04:09 AM
I think smith should be the starter.

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 08:18 AM
I think smith should be the starter.

ya but what if clark outplays smith in the preseason and becomes the starter and play well then smith will prob. be out the rest of the season or smith will come in late?!

06-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it is Smith's job to loose in preseason. He is the ball hawk our secondary has been missing for some time. He was very impressive towards the end of last season. If he wins the job, it gives the D more flexability as far as lining Troy up all over the place, and letting him freelance a little, knowing Smith will be back there playing centerfield. Clark will still be valuable in dime and quarter schemes. He has good coverage skills, but lacks the natural skills that Smith posses.

onthebus36
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
ya but what if clark outplays smith in the preseason and becomes the starter and play well then smith will prob. be out the rest of the season or smith will come in late?!

Not sure what you mean here...

I think right now, the job is Clark's to lose. Even if Smith has a great camp, he may not start because they want to get him more time in the system. Smith is the starter of the future. The question is if it's this year or next. Clark is a solid safety who understands defenses and understands how to work with Troy Polamalu. Both of those are skills that Smith still needs to demonstrate to move up to starter. Playing opposite Troy and learning the intricacies of how they use him and covering for Troy when he decides to commit are skills that shouldn't be overlooked. Look at how upset Troy was when Chris Hope left. That was a player Troy trusted to cover for him as he went whirling around the field. I'm not sure changing that position up again (third safety in three years) is the way to go.

Like I said, I think Anthony Smith is the future and I think he'll get more playing time this year. But we have the opportunity to school him behind a talented veteran and my gut says that is the direction the coaches will go.

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Not sure what you mean here...

I think right now, the job is Clark's to lose. Even if Smith has a great camp, he may not start because they want to get him more time in the system. Smith is the starter of the future. The question is if it's this year or next. Clark is a solid safety who understands defenses and understands how to work with Troy Polamalu. Both of those are skills that Smith still needs to demonstrate to move up to starter. Playing opposite Troy and learning the intricacies of how they use him and covering for Troy when he decides to commit are skills that shouldn't be overlooked. Look at how upset Troy was when Chris Hope left. That was a player Troy trusted to cover for him as he went whirling around the field. I'm not sure changing that position up again (third safety in three years) is the way to go.

Like I said, I think Anthony Smith is the future and I think he'll get more playing time this year. But we have the opportunity to school him behind a talented veteran and my gut says that is the direction the coaches will go.

i think for now clark stays as the starter and yes smith is a FS of the future not now.

06-25-2007, 12:03 PM
i think for now clark stays as the starter and yes smith is a FS of the future not now.

I respectively disagree. I think the future is now. I think Smith is the starter week one, unless he completely tanks it in camp. He has god given talent that can't be taught, and at the end of the day winning trumps all, and you win by playing your most talented players.

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I respectively disagree. I think the future is now. I think Smith is the starter week one, unless he completely tanks it in camp. He has god given talent that can't be taught, and at the end of the day winning trumps all, and you win by playing your most talented players.

ya but we have not really seen his power except for pre-season against second string defense and at the end of the year playing for nothing. i think if he gunna be starter he has alot to prove! alot!

domthebomb228
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
ya but we have not really seen his power except for pre-season against second string defense and at the end of the year playing for nothing. i think if he gunna be starter he has alot to prove! alot!

Not really true.. He wasn't playing for nothing near the end of the season. He was playing against bona fide NFL offenses. And knocking a few guys out, at that. True, we still can't consider him a full-time starter but he's shown he has all the tools and instincts necessary to start in our defense. He's got a lot of potential. I think we've seen all we're going to see out of Ryan Clark, but Anthony Smith is going to keep getting better and better and the only way to see this improvement is to let him play... remember Troy's first year?

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Not really true.. He wasn't playing for nothing near the end of the season. He was playing against bona fide NFL offenses. And knocking a few guys out, at that. True, we still can't consider him a full-time starter but he's shown he has all the tools and instincts necessary to start in our defense. He's got a lot of potential. I think we've seen all we're going to see out of Ryan Clark, but Anthony Smith is going to keep getting better and better and the only way to see this improvement is to let him play... remember Troy's first year?

ya u have a point but dont look past that smith gave up alot plays too and didnt play great like clark. so dont count clark out.

The Duke
06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Just to let everyone know, according to Yahoo sports( I know some don't trust them) we have the # 1 ranked safeties in the AFC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=afcfocusrankingthesafeti&prov=tsn&type=lgns

onthebus36
06-25-2007, 04:19 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with that at all. I think it's very likely Smith will start in Sept. I just think with all the changes, the coaches could choose to go with a proven veteran who already works well with his partner safety. But let's be honest, it's anybody's guess at this point.

But I don't necessarily agree you win by playing your most talented players. I think you win by fielding your best team. In most cases, those are the same people but not always.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with that at all. I think it's very likely Smith will start in Sept. I just think with all the changes, the coaches could choose to go with a proven veteran who already works well with his partner safety. But let's be honest, it's anybody's guess at this point.

But I don't necessarily agree you win by playing your most talented players. I think you win by fielding your best team. In most cases, those are the same people but not always.

That's for sure. Talent will only take you so far. You're best players can take you further.

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Just to let everyone know, according to Yahoo sports( I know some don't trust them) we have the # 1 ranked safeties in the AFC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=afcfocusrankingthesafeti&prov=tsn&type=lgns

WOW! sweet

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:22 PM

WOOO HOOOO! Good to see we're getting our proper respect.

steelpride12
06-25-2007, 04:27 PM
WOOO HOOOO! Good to see we're getting our proper respect.

ya i never see the steelers on TV or on the news are u kidding geez were the STEELERS! :dang:

polamalu3000
06-27-2007, 10:56 AM
i thought anthony smith would start for a while but then i thought that ryan clark was awesome last year until he got injured and was out for the rest of the season so i think clark will start this year.

klick81
06-27-2007, 12:21 PM

That's nice to see...they gotta back it up on the field come opeing day :tt02:

steelpride12
07-01-2007, 11:07 AM
i thought anthony smith would start for a while but then i thought that ryan clark was awesome last year until he got injured and was out for the rest of the season so i think clark will start this year.

:iagree:

rich4eagle
07-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Nice thread ME first guys usually end up with ME being so concerned with ME the team hets no benefit..............hoping that is not the case but not a good sign.........