PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Rumors Swirl Again

steelersfanmx
06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
"(KDKA) The rumors about former Pittsburgh Steelers' Head Coach Bill Cowher are swirling once again this morning.

The website Profootballtalk.com is reporting now that Cowher has already spoken to several teams about coaching next season.

According to the website's sources, the three teams are the browns, panthers and redskins.

Those same sources say that Cowher would want total control of the football operations wherever he goes next and that he would want to bring the Steelers' Director of Football Operations, Kevin Colbert with him.

According to the website, Cowher has already had a private meeting with the owner of the Redskins, Dan Snyder."

I will hate if Cowher go to Cleveland... :banging:

Livinginthe past
06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I read the article too, and while im not one of the anti-PFT sheep who deride everything that comes from that site (because their friend said it sucked), its not exactly groundbreaking news.

The 3 teams mentioned were the 3 I would have associated with him anyway - Cleveland, Washington and Carolina.

I think Cleveland can't in all good conscience make a serious move while Crennel has a year to prove himself (although that appears a long shot) I would expect Washington to be played off against Carolina to get him the best rate of pay for coaching the Panthers.

Snyder is a control freak and Cowher would demand a high degree of control over all team affairs which makes them a definite mismatch.

stlrtruck
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
After working for the Redskins during Snyder's first year, and knowing how Danny Boy prefers to be hands on, it seems the only logical place for Cowher to resurrect his coaching career would be in Carolina.

Crushzilla
06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Carolina surely seems like the most plausible fit.

Other than the fact that he has a home there, the team is infused with solid young talent as well as proven veterans.

He has a solid up and coming running back in Williams and the addition of Beason to a good front seven means he can resurrect a smash mouth mentality there.

I would think that he would rather take a good mixture of young and old over a team of mercenaries with an insane owner.

Preacher
06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Redskins also makes sense though. They are also somewhat close to home. Fans would love a return to the John Riggins, Hoggs OL type of football. I wouldn't be suprised to see it happen. Also, you can't tell me in the back of his mind, Cowher isn't thinking about how nice it will be to have ARE again.

Though I would expect him in Caroline first, I wouldn't dismiss the Redskin option.

fansince'76
06-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Redskins makes sense. Close to home. Fans would love a return to the John Riggins, Hoggs OL type of football.

I agree with this, not so much for the geographic proximity as Carolina is a better fit in that regard, but due to the :cash :cash :cash. Cowher's gonna want a LOT of it, and Snyder will be the one owner of the three franchises willing to pay $8-$10 mil a season for his services. The guy spends money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

X-Terminator
06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
It will come down to Carolina or Washington. Cowher WILL NOT coach the Browns, simply because they will not pay him what he will be asking for.

I'll put my money on the Redskins.

tony hipchest
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
whats new with this rumor is word of him wanting to steal colbert away. i wonder if his contract is up after next season.

i guess we could always go after pioli. im sure hed have to strongly consider working for the best and winingest owners in the league, along with one of the brightest young coaching minds.

Crushzilla
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
So it seems to come down to a simple choice.

Will he choose the love of the game or the love of money...

MACH1
06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
If its love of the game I'd think he'd still be with the steelers.

Atlanta Dan
06-19-2007, 03:21 PM
whats new with this rumor is word of him wanting to steal colbert away. i wonder if his contract is up after next season.

i guess we could always go after pioli. im sure hed have to strongly consider working for the best and winingest owners in the league, along with one of the brightest young coaching minds.

I hope it works out, but it seems a little bit early to call Tomlin one of the brightest young minds in the game - sort of like the proud parent saying how smart their kid is before the first day of school.:smile:

And if Cowher wants "complete control" of football operations, it presumably indicates Colbert was his lackey in Pittsburgh or that Colbert may not be thrilled with the post-Cowher era in Pittsburgh if he will leave to go wash Cowher's car in a new gig.

As other posters have said, this sounds like a PFT speculation special to me.

Crushzilla
06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
If its love of the game I'd think he'd still be with the steelers.

Perhaps, but I think there is some merit in the fact that he needed some time off. The Steelers weren't going to wait around for him to recharge his batteries.

Whether it really was money, exhaustion, a marriage on the rocks or whatever else, we may never know. I just can't settle for thinking that it was pure greed.

SteelCityMan786
06-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Until we hear it from a true reliable source such as ESPN, CBS Sportsline, NFL.com, etc. I refuse to believe this.

Cowher wants time off.

Edman
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I thought Cowher wanted time off?

If this turns out to be true, it's further evidence that Cowher simply took the year off in 2006.

revefsreleets
06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
PFT is PFT. What people don't seem to get is that the site posts up 20 stories a day, so when they are wrong, they can hide it among the other 19 stories they got right that were from legitimate sources. I'm not saying Cowher won't coach again, but this is so premature that no one will remember if it's wrong, and only the author will remember if it's right a year from now.

There are a lot of football sites that don't deal in speculation, but I guess the NFL has gotten so big that it has it's own version of People Magazine now.

verks36
06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Ya just saw this all over sport center. Geez you think they can wait at least one seaseon before the rumors.

Elvis
06-19-2007, 09:42 PM
After working for the Redskins during Snyder's first year, and knowing how Danny Boy prefers to be hands on, it seems the only logical place for Cowher to resurrect his coaching career would be in Carolina.
I can see your answer being exactly what I would have said...:thumbsup:
:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Let Cowher coach the Browns.Then he can see what life is like on the other side of the ass whoopin.

And after this season,Cowher is a free agent.He can sign with anyone he wants,with the Steelers getting no compensation at all,because he will no longer be under contract.

stlrtruck
06-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Until we hear it from a true reliable source such as ESPN, CBS Sportsline, NFL.com, etc. I refuse to believe this.

Cowher wants time off.

I don't know, I'm starting to question ESPN as a reliable source :sofunny:

Crushzilla
06-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Redskins Statement On Internet Report
June 19, 2007

The following is a statement released by the Redskins in response to a report by the web site ProFootballTalk.com:

"No one at the Washington Redskins has had any meetings or discussions with Bill Cowher or anyone else regarding any coaching position with the Redskins."

http://www.redskins.com

Looks like more people look into PFT than you think...

Big D
06-20-2007, 09:50 AM
pft is the national enquirer of the nfl. I'm not worried until john clayton or mort report it.

LambertIsGod58
06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
I really don't care where Cowher goes...He was a great coach for us. We didn't want to pay him what he was worth. So I wish him luck and hope he gets the contract he deserves. I would think that Carolina is the most logical place but I'm unsure if he'll get the money he's looking for. Snyder could be the one to give it to him.

Mistah_Q
06-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I wonder if maybe Cowher was getting bored in Pittsburgh. Maybe what'll give him the fire back is the challenge of taking a crap team and turning it into a contender. But then if he does it and manages to win a SB with that team, will he be bored again?

RoethlisBURGHer
06-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I wonder if maybe Cowher was getting bored in Pittsburgh. Maybe what'll give him the fire back is the challenge of taking a crap team and turning it into a contender. But then if he does it and manages to win a SB with that team, will he be bored again?

Probally,that is why he should take the Cleveland job...they won't ever win a Super Bowl!

polamalufan43
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
For now, they are just rumors, so I'll treat them as such. If Cowher did end up going to Cleveland...I think I might cry while screaming "I thought you loved winning not whining..."

~PF43:tt02:

stillers4me
06-20-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't know why anyone would think that Cowher would coach in Cleveland. His wife made it very clear that she wants to live in NC and Cowher commuted to Pittsburgh. Kaye Cowher is NOT going to move to Cleveland ( he might keep his Pittsburgh accent) and Cleveland is a longer commute than Pittsburgh. Ain't gonna happen if the wife has any say in it. He may be talking just to up the ante with a team in a better location. (Carolina Panthers)

Atlanta Dan
06-20-2007, 05:46 PM

I think it "bored" Cowher not to be the highest paid coach in the game after winning XL (at least until Belichick tells Kraft to fill up the Brinks truck if 'Chick signs up for another contract).

I do think he actually enjoys the family time but if the price would have been right Kaye and Lindsey would have soldiered on in Raleigh without him.

The Steelers got their money's worth out of Cowher but it was time for everyone to move on.

polamalu3000
06-25-2007, 02:35 PM
yeah i still dont understand why he left with all the success he had in pittsburgh and the team he had around him. cowher is a great coach but if he goes to cleveland i will not look at him the same again. but i am confident that coach tomlin will be a good fit in pittsburgh.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
yeah i still dont understand why he left with all the success he had in pittsburgh and the team he had around him. cowher is a great coach but if he goes to cleveland i will not look at him the same again. but i am confident that coach tomlin will be a good fit in pittsburgh.

I was baffled that he left to. But it's hard to say that you didn't see it coming.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Cowher going NO WHERE! He's not going to comeback into Football. He's enjoying retirement. (Just came from NFL Live)