PDA

View Full Version : Coach Tomlin

steelpride12
06-19-2007, 10:41 PM
ok i would love to hear everyone opinions of the new head coach mike tomlin? i think even tho people give me crap that he will be a hard and tough coach and will knock sense into the steelers and really overall make them a better team def. with his and dick's defese scheems WOW i cant wait!!

Livinginthe past
06-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Thats quite a sentence.

Do a search on 'Tomlin' (using the search feature at the top middle of the page) and you will see this topic has been done.....and done.....and done again.

HometownGal
06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
I like what I've seen on the TV and have read in various tribunals, but until I actually see him in action, it is illogical (Spock ears up - LOL!) for me to give an opinion on his coaching abilities which is what is most important. So far, he's been talkin' the talk - I want to see him walk the walk. :tt02::thumbsup:

MACH1
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I think I'll wait to form an opinion after some games have been played.

PisnNapalm
06-20-2007, 09:49 AM
I think I'll wait to form an opinion after some games have been played.

I'll even go so far as to say I'd give him an entire season before I pass judgment on him.

polamalufan43
06-20-2007, 09:49 AM
So far, I think he is a good person and coach. However, I think I'll wait 'till training camp and opening day to make my final decision.

~PF43:tt02:

PisnNapalm
06-20-2007, 09:50 AM
What will you be able to know by opening day?? Are you going to base your opinion of him as a coach on preseason games?

polamalufan43
06-20-2007, 09:54 AM
What will you be able to know by opening day?? Are you going to base your opinion of him as a coach on preseason games?

No, I mean the whole opening day thing as just a, let's call it opening opinion on him. Mostly based on how he handles himself and the team with the stress of his first game as a HC.

~PF43:tt02:

onthebus36
06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
I'll even go so far as to say I'd give him an entire season before I pass judgment on him.

I totally agree. Looking at the schedule, it will be weeks into the season before we get a real tough test. Let's see how we do against Shanahan and the Broncos week 7 in Denver or against Belichick and the Pats at Foxboro week 14 before we start analyzing this guys too much.

I see a season that starts pretty soft, gets tougher in the middle, and pretty darn hard at the end. How Coach Tomlin handles the last five games will be a much tougher test than the first five.

I think we need to be patient and give him some time and I agree we won't be in a position to assess his success as a coach until after the end of the season.

SteelCityMan786
06-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I like what I've seen of him so far. His ultimate test will determine my opinion.

The Duke
06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
After we kill the browns on opening day everyone will love him

steelpride12
06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
After we kill the browns on opening day everyone will love him
:toofunny:HAHAHAHA ya well of course but everyone is right i will judge him after i see wat happens against the pats and broncos and raven!!

stillers4me
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Fire Tomlin!!!!!!

(just kidding......I wanted to be the very first to say it.)

HometownGal
06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Fire Tomlin!!!!!!

(just kidding......I wanted to be the very first to say it.)

:mallet: :wink02:

And while we're at it, bench Ben and put in Charlie Batch. :toofunny::flap:

steelpride12
06-20-2007, 09:44 PM

And at the same time Put in all the second stringers and take out the starters!!:toofunny:

Steelersfan4life0655
06-20-2007, 09:48 PM
let me get back to this thread when the end of the next season is over to really give anyone a sure answer.

memphissteelergirl
06-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I think we need to be patient and give him some time and I agree we won't be in a position to assess his success as a coach until after the end of the season.

:iagree:

rich4eagle
06-21-2007, 04:25 PM
From what I can understand Tomlin has the ingredients to be real good........young and dynamic.......won at what he did albeit less than HC...........says the right stuff.......and takes no prisoners or excuses for NOT winning

It will be interesting to see how it plays out............my guess the Steelers hit the third home run in row

tony hipchest
06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
It will be interesting to see how it plays out............my guess the Steelers hit the third home run in rowi agree. of course, everybody wants to wait on the new coach to take the field before offering an opinion. why wait. i have an opinion now.

out of all new head coaches hires this off season, i feel we have the best one (including whiz or grimm who i feel will be really good for a bottom feeder like arizona).

if we made the moves atl or oak made i would question a college coach translating his game to the nfl. if we made the move dal or sd made, i would question the head coaches past failures. if we woulda hired a pitt assistant, i would question the status quo mentality that led to an 8-8 season last year.

with tomlin, i really have no questions (or doubts to say it better). i see someone in the mold of tony dungy, jon gruden, or bill cowher, and to a lesser degree shawn payton and eric mangini. i see a coach who is ready to handle the pressure and expectations of a team primed to have success right out of the gates. i see another coach who can become the new face of the steelers and be a fixture for years to come. i see a coach who is more likely to win 3 sb's with the steelers than he is likely to get fired in 3 years. :jammin:

if im wrong sue me.

TackleMeBen
06-21-2007, 09:36 PM

now that is what i was yelling all last season!!!!!!!!!!

and if matt millen can keep his job this long... so should mikey t :cheer:

TackleMeBen
06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
if im wrong sue me.

tony, we wouldnt get anything but cheese..lol:flap:

Preacher
06-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Tony....

With all due respect...

I would be too scared to know what I would get from you if I sued!!

rich4eagle
06-22-2007, 08:27 PM
i agree. of course, everybody wants to wait on the new coach to take the field before offering an opinion. why wait. i have an opinion now.

out of all new head coaches hires this off season, i feel we have the best one (including whiz or grimm who i feel will be really good for a bottom feeder like arizona).

if we made the moves atl or oak made i would question a college coach translating his game to the nfl. if we made the move dal or sd made, i would question the head coaches past failures. if we woulda hired a pitt assistant, i would question the status quo mentality that led to an 8-8 season last year.

with tomlin, i really have no questions (or doubts to say it better). i see someone in the mold of tony dungy, jon gruden, or bill cowher, and to a lesser degree shawn payton and eric mangini. i see a coach who is ready to handle the pressure and expectations of a team primed to have success right out of the gates. i see another coach who can become the new face of the steelers and be a fixture for years to come. i see a coach who is more likely to win 3 sb's with the steelers than he is likely to get fired in 3 years. :jammin:

if im wrong sue me.

I like your post minus one ingredient....the absolute BS argument that translating from college to the pros is a coaching nightmare..............the best shall do it with ease those that benefit from superior players in a superior program fail.............answer winners are winners and win at all levels..............the test is to find out why they won where they were and ...............bamo .........they keep winning

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:32 PM
tony, we wouldnt get anything but cheese..lol:flap:

That's the only thing you can sue him for. :toofunny:

tony hipchest
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I like your post minus one ingredient....the absolute BS argument that translating from college to the pros is a coaching nightmare..............the best shall do it with ease those that benefit from superior players in a superior program fail.............answer winners are winners and win at all levels..............the test is to find out why they won where they were and ...............bamo .........they keep winning it wasnt an argument. its just things i would question if we hired a college coach (including k. ferentz, or shoop)

butch davis, ericson, "ballcoach", and nick saban are recent examples that would have me a bit uneasy.

but theres always those who have succeeded such as jimmy johnson. im not arguing that.

point is i have no questions with tomlin, and his lack of experience as a head coach (the main ? in peoples minds) doesnt concern me in the least.

but nowhere was a "nightmare" mentionned :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
06-22-2007, 09:24 PM

PN, is it possible to take more than 1 year to properly judge MT. After all, isn't most of what he has right now the hand he was dealt. Not that he will get more than 1 year before judged, just curious.:cheers:

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
i kno its to early to judge and all but just his attidude and what he says bout the upcoming training camp gunna be tough and all really shows a great coach!

polamalu3000
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
the only thing i know about him is that he is a beast at defense and will more than likely make our defense even better than it was, so i think he will fit right in with lebeau and the steelers defense.

troylambertswann
06-29-2007, 11:30 PM
When the Steelers are behind....30-0 in the 2nd quarter...that will test Tomlin.

When they are behind...

Cowher's first game...behind by 30 or more to Houston...the Steelers had not done a damn thing all game.

It's 4th and half a miLe...

Cowher calls a fake punt...the Steelers make it....the whole game turns around...and the Steelers come back from 30 down and win it.

Adversity reveals character...and at that moment...I knew the Steelers had a real coach...a real risk taker...a guy who expected a lot of himself and wanted to win.

BIG ASS SHOES MR. TOMLIN...COWHER LEFT SOME BIG...A S S SHOES.

troylambertswann
06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Oh...and remember Steelers...vacation is over come August...get away from the punch bowl...the water cooler...strap up...and man up...

Employees love a nice guy...

They and the fans love a winner more...

We'll see

The Duke
06-30-2007, 12:35 PM
When the Steelers are behind....30-0 in the 2nd quarter...that will test Tomlin.

When they are behind...

Cowher's first game...behind by 30 or more to Houston...the Steelers had not done a damn thing all game.

It's 4th and half a miLe...

Cowher calls a fake punt...the Steelers make it....the whole game turns around...and the Steelers come back from 30 down and win it.

Adversity reveals character...and at that moment...I knew the Steelers had a real coach...a real risk taker...a guy who expected a lot of himself and wanted to win.

BIG ASS SHOES MR. TOMLIN...COWHER LEFT SOME BIG...A S S SHOES.

Now I want a game like that to happen again, just not against the ravens again:dang:, but if it is the ravens and we beat them, Tomlin will earn the respect of everyone.

steelpride12
07-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Now I want a game like that to happen again, just not against the ravens again:dang:, but if it is the ravens and we beat them, Tomlin will earn the respect of everyone.

Damn right he will!

GhostHarvest
07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I like what I've seen on the TV and have read in various tribunals, but until I actually see him in action, it is illogical (Spock ears up - LOL!) for me to give an opinion on his coaching abilities which is what is most important. So far, he's been talkin' the talk - I want to see him walk the walk. :tt02::thumbsup:

I would have to agree with you. I mean, nobody really knows what to expect from him, but I like what I've seen up to this point.

He's a defensive coach and he's still young, both important attributes for a potentially long term coach.

I personally wanted Russ Grimm to get the job, but I'll support Tomlin for now.

GO STEELERS!!!

:tt02:

TackleMeBen
07-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Oh...and remember Steelers...vacation is over come August...get away from the punch bowl...the water cooler...strap up...and man up...

Employees love a nice guy...

They and the fans love a winner more...

We'll see

:thumbsup: that is the best post i have read in along time..:cheer:

Steelers
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Ask me in 6 months.

steelpride12
07-02-2007, 10:08 AM
ya the great view or outcome on him will be heard at the end of the season!

TackleMeBen
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
well there are two ways to look at it..

1. we will love him and want to keep around for the next 15-20 yrs
or
2. we will want him ran out of town for sucking...

personally i am going to hope for the first one. we will have our answer soon enough

Big7BenHOF
07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
It may just be me, but I think it's still too early to give an opinion on him.

nicesteel4life
07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Well it sorta plays out this way in my mind....Seems like he got his act together so far, but W's and L's will define him.