PDA

View Full Version : LJ the next big name holdout?

Livinginthe past
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Another big name player is regretting signing his last contract - which I guess is a direct result of the last couple of leaps in the salary cap.

Something tells me that LJ is looking at the QB situation in KC and realises he is going to be doing alot of work this year.

L.J. PREPARING FOR HOLDOUT

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson tells Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star that Johnson might be forced to hold out if he doesn't get a new contract by the start of training camp.

"I'm prepared," Johnson told Whitlock. "They [my agent and father] got me saving money. I'm hustling to get more money to put in the bank. They already started setting aside different accounts, if that would have to happen. They're already telling me to be cautious about how I spend, where I go and stuff like that. To make sure that if it goes down like that, then I've got to be able to pace myself so I won't be in trouble."

Johnson said he believes that Chiefs president Carl Peterson is going to "test" him in connection with contract negotiations that could turn contentious quickly -- especially in light of the fact that the Chiefs were making it known earlier this year that Johnson was available via trade.

Johnson's agent, Alvin Keels, attended the interview, and added a few thoughts. Including this one: "The point I'd like to get out," Keels said, "is that if we were to have to hold out, it would be for the sake of good business, not being greedy. I think the picture that is being painted right now in the eyes of the fans is that we're coming into this negotiation being greedy. It's not good business for a player who rushes the ball 416 times in a season, back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons, back-to-back 1,700-yard seasons, back-to-back broken Kansas City Chiefs records, it's not good business for him to come back in and play for $1.7 million. And that's a sensitive area because $1.7 million is a lot more than most people in Kansas City make."

But the real question, as we see it, is whether Johnson is a truly great runner, who will get his yards even with shoddy blocking, or whether his production is the result of the strong offensive lines that the team has enjoyed over the past few years. (But no more.)

Indeed, the retirement of Willie Roaf in 2006 might have directly contributed to that 0.9 yard-per-carry dropoff last season. And with Will Shields now out of the picture, too, there could be another slip in 2007.

And that could be why the Chiefs want to see what Johnson can do with an even weaker wall of blocking before paying him a bunch of money.

Still, we see Johnson's side of it. "If they really want it to hit home, look at Earl Campbell," Johnson said. "He's not complaining, but he can barely walk. He's sitting in wheelchairs. He can't sit at banquets for a long amount of time before he has to leave. It's sad to have to watch him go through what he has to go through. You look at me; I don?t want to be like that. But I may end up like him. Who knows? I have to be able to plan for that, plan for my kids. I don't know if I'm going to be running back and forth taking my kids to soccer practice."

So why should he take another 400-carry punishment in 2007 for only $1.7 million? Though it would have been nice if he had considered this before, you know, signing his contract, the fact that he could be carrying the entire offense on his back this season suggests to us that, in all fairness, an adjustment is necessary.

Thus, our gut feeling on this one is that it could very well be another Deion Branch situation, with a lengthy holdout followed by a trade.

If, that is, there's someone who wants him bad enough to both pay the player and pay his team. If, after all, King Carl demanded a fourth-round pick for a quarterback he no longer needed, Peterson might ask for a Ricky Williams package when it comes to a running back he no longer wants.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Can't say we didn't expect this with his contract. If he leaves, that will be a huge loss for an already sagging Chief football team.

The Duke
06-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh boy, chiefs are gonna be bad in the future to come, the whole team is falling apart.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh boy, chiefs are gonna be bad in the future to come, the whole team is falling apart.

Like it hasn't already? :sofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Sounds like the offense is falling apart just like thier defense does every game.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Sounds like the offense is falling apart just like thier defense does every game.

They had pieces to fall apart still. OH the agony for KC Sports fans. lol. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
They had pieces to fall apart still. OH the agony for KC Sports fans. lol. :sofunny:
agony was watching the cheifs in the playoffs last year as the steelers sat at home, knowing willie parker could put up 200+ yards on the colts. all because we couldnt beat the raiders, something the cheifs do with ease.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
agony was watching the cheifs in the playoffs last year as the steelers sat at home, knowing willie parker could put up 200+ yards on the colts. all because we couldnt beat the raiders, something the cheifs do with ease.

oh I know.

But also, how about them losing out on our beloved Penguins. It was great to say to KC NO PENGUINS FOR YOU!

tony hipchest
06-21-2007, 11:26 PM
oh I know.

But also, how about them losing out on our beloved Penguins. It was great to say to KC NO PENGUINS FOR YOU!
thats great but they never had hockey in the 1st place. they had nothing to lose. despite our superbowl wins, being a pirates fan looking up at the freaking royals of all teams still sucks...

SteelersMongol
06-21-2007, 11:51 PM
LJ ... I have no respect for that hair-pulling sissy. :computer:

Crushzilla
06-22-2007, 02:39 AM
LJ ... I have no respect for that hair-pulling sissy. :computer:

I forgot about that... that was brutal.

Ugh. Terrible for the Chiefs. No passing game, Offensive line going to pieces. LJ might be better off getting traded...

I'm still trying to figure out if Larry Johnson is really as good as he seems or if the line is that good. I don't watch too many Chief games...

Preacher
06-22-2007, 02:52 AM
It wasn't the hair pull on the tackle that bothered me.

It was the pull "Helping" him up that bothered me...

And as for the chiefs.. I learned to dislike them when they and Seattle were in the same league...

Livinginthe past
06-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I forgot about that... that was brutal.

Ugh. Terrible for the Chiefs. No passing game, Offensive line going to pieces. LJ might be better off getting traded...

I'm still trying to figure out if Larry Johnson is really as good as he seems or if the line is that good. I don't watch too many Chief games...

There is no doubt that running behind the one of the best O-lines of this generation will have helped both Johnson and Holmes rack up some serious yardage.

Most 'downhill' runners (i've heard Johnson described this way) require good initial blocking so that they can get a head of steam up.

As the article notes losing one of their O-line anchors last year knocked nearly a yard of his ypc - the same could happen again this year - unless they can establish a passing game (unlikely with a rookie QB on board at some stage).

KC need some WR's.

Buzz05
06-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I like LJ I really do. After all he is Mr.2000 at PSU. But who here can honestly say they arent supprised by this. Dick Vermeil told him to take his diapers off...he would fall asleep in film sessions...he bashed KC for not having enough soul food...and he even ripped JoePa when he went to PSU for not opening up the offense and playing him more over Eric McCoo (looking back at that I now understand). This guy has always been a malcontent...personally I think this is LJ's way go gain leverage for 2 reasons. LJ wants to get paid...and he wants out of KC.

He has stated in the past he is an east coast guy. I personally can see him playing to Philly or the Giants. The Giants will be looking to replace Tiki with a big name back to take the heat off of Eli and personally I dont see how Brandon Jacobs and Ruben Doughnuts will get the job done. Philly fits because he is a Pa kid from state college and with Westbrooke getting up there in age they will be looking at a new back. Buchhalter cant stay healthy and LJ is a good recieving back as well. Those 2 places seem to fit him nicely

onthebus36
06-22-2007, 04:07 PM
What sucks is that because they finished ahead of Denver, they play Cincy while the Steelers go to Mile High and play the Broncos. So much for easy third place schedule!

lilyoder6
06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
LJ has only played for a yr and half and arldy demanding for top notch money. i think he was that good b/c of the line that the chiefs had. but evry has either retired or left. only 2 good linemen left i think is the center Wiegmann who is close to retiring and guard brian waters. so i do belive his ypg will be reduced.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I wonder how much the Chiefs want to keep LJ. by the way things look, they don't want to keep him.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
I too can see LJ in New York.He's got that NY attitude and I think he'd love the chance to play with Eli...he hasn't played with a young QB in the NFL.