PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Chris Hoke

alittlejazzbird
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Excellent news! Underappreciated outside of Pittsburgh, but he's a majorly talented interior lineman in my book.....

Source: Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07172/796116-66.stm

The Steelers have signed backup nose tackle Chris Hoke to a new four-year contract worth $6 million.

Hoke, who had one year left on his contract before signing the new deal, also will receive a $1.5 million signing bonus.

Preacher
06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
And we continue with good players at all positions... rather then superstars at a few...

Thank goodness.

alittlejazzbird
06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
And we continue with good players at all positions... rather then superstars at a few...

Thank goodness.

And Preacher, let us all say.....amen!

And I am correct that he was also undrafted?

The Duke
06-21-2007, 03:47 PM
And Preacher, let us all say.....amen!

And I am correct that he was also undrafted?

Yes, he was undrafted. I'm glad we have him, if anything happens to casey, hoke will be there to take over, and he must be great in the 4-3.

rbryan
06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Not the big signing I was hoping for but I'll take it. He's not the most talented guy, but he plays with a lot of heart. He's a team player and you can never have too many guys like that.

Stlrs4Life
06-21-2007, 03:58 PM
A player that you hardly hear about, but always knows his role on the team.

tony hipchest
06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
when hampton went down in 2005 hoke filled in and the defense didnt miss a beat (15-1). when hampton has to leave the field for a breather, nobody even notices.

excellent, under the radar move. i bet hoke didnt even have to ask for an extension, although as much money as he coulda made on the open market it seems like he told his agent he liked where he was at.

oldschool
06-21-2007, 04:21 PM
He's one of my favorites too, we never skip a beat when he's in the line up

HometownGal
06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Not the big signing I was hoping for but I'll take it. He's not the most talented guy, but he plays with a lot of heart. He's a team player and you can never have too many guys like that.

Absofreakinlutely! :tt02: A good move by the Steelers FO. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
He's a solid player that won't break the bank - I'm happy with the signing. :thumbsup:

Steelersfan4life0655
06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
good job, FO!!! always signing dependable people

nicesteel4life
06-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Good Signing! He is a beast...Funniest thing about him though is I was at a charity basketball game with me 7 year old and he was signing at the half. My son walked up and asked him " Why is your nose always red? Do you drink to much? " I wanted to crawl under the table, but he laughed just as everybody else did...

SteelersMongol
06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Good Signing! He is a beast...Funniest thing about him though is I was at a charity basketball game with me 7 year old and he was signing at the half. My son walked up and asked him " Why is your nose always red? Do you drink to much? " I wanted to crawl under the table, but he laughed just as everybody else did...

Oh, the kids of these days. :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Good Work keeping him on the payroll.

Galax Steeler
06-22-2007, 03:59 AM
Great news good job hoke.

stlrtruck
06-22-2007, 07:24 AM
It's nice to see players who know their roles sign with the team to keep the continuity. It's important that we keep these players around.

tony hipchest
06-22-2007, 10:33 AM
rare words from an athelete these days. he turned down an opportunity to move on and most likely start in the nfl and definitely left alot of money on the table. im thinking tomlin let him know his talent was recognized and he would have an opportunity to make plays and win champs in the future. helping to extend hamptons career is a good investment as well.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/fayette/s_513777.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 22, 2007

Guard Alan Faneca may be determined to leave the Steelers because of an inability to agree upon a contract extension, but nose tackle Chris Hoke has no such concerns.
Hoke was given a four-year, $6 million contract Thursday that includes a $1.5 million signing bonus. He was heading into the last year of his contract.

"I feel like they respect what I do," Hoke said. "They know I work hard, that I go about my business and that I try to make the team better.

"I wanted to stay here. I didn't want to go anywhere else. I want to finish my career here."

story continues below

Hoke, 31, joined the Steelers as a rookie free agent out of BYU in 2001.
He played in 16 games last season (one start) and was credited with 10 tackles (eight solo).

Hoke has appeared in 45 regular-season games (11 starts) in his six-year career.

He proved his value to the Steelers by starting the final 10 regular-season games and both playoff contests in 2004 after nose tackle Casey Hampton was lost for the season due to a knee injury.

The Steelers reached the AFC Championship Game, losing to the New England Patriots.

"It would be fun to start, but the thought of going somewhere else -- you might not mesh with the coaching staff or the players or the organization, and the next thing you know you're out the door in a year or two," Hoke said.

"It might be more lucrative initially, but you might not enjoy it as much."

The Steelers previously signed defensive end Aaron Smith to a contract extension and re-signed running back Najeh Davenport this offseason.

Cornerback Ricardo Colclough, linebacker Clark Haggans, fullback Dan Kreider, defensive lineman Travis Kirschke, safety Troy Polamalu, offensive tackle Max Starks, guard Kendall Simmons and Faneca are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2007 season.

Faneca has said the upcoming season will be his last with the Steelers.

Offensive tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu and linebacker Rian Wallace are scheduled to become restricted free agents following 2007.

"Coach (Mike) Tomlin has come here with leadership and with a vision to win," Hoke said. "But beyond that, the Rooneys have always been committed to winning, and they've won a lot of ballgames.

"I'm blessed. I'm lucky. I don't know what else to say."

83-Steelers-43
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Big plus with this signing, there is hardly any wear and tear on Hoke's 31 year old body. I can see him playing until 34. Not a bad signing.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Big plus with this signing, there is hardly any wear and tear on Hoke's 31 year old body. I can see him playing until 34. Not a bad signing.

35 or 36 at the latest in my opinion. I think Hoke still has some prime left in his carrier.

The Duke
06-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I really hope Hoke and Hampton last a long time, they are both good players with a great attitude.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I really hope Hoke and Hampton last a long time, they are both good players with a great attitude.

They're definantly great players. I hope they do keep on getting better.

Man_Of_Steel
06-23-2007, 05:11 PM

I don't like Hoke at all. For a backup player he sure is ****y, and arrogant. I've seen him a few times out and he seriously thinks he is the shit!

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Looks like the Steelers have a player who buys into the philosophy - the one that says its better to take a few less bucks up front and be happy in your job than get a few extra and be discontented.

Few and far and far between these guys - be thankful, Steeler fans.

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't like Hoke at all. For a backup player he sure is ****y, and arrogant. I've seen him a few times out and he seriously thinks he is the shit!

:yawn:

did you see him anchor the best defense in the league for 10 games on the way to an afc best ever record of 15-1?

ive seen him "out" a few times too, and he was rescuing kittens stuck in trees, and volunteering as a crossguard for childrens on their way to school. :coffee:

OneForTheToe
06-23-2007, 07:46 PM
:yawn:

did you see him anchor the best defense in the league for 10 games on the way to an afc best ever record of 15-1?

ive seen him "out" a few times too, and he was rescuing kittens stuck in trees, and volunteering as a crossguard for childrens on their way to school. :coffee:

:sofunny:

He also started a half way home for young troubled celebrity girls (i.e. Brittney, Lindsey and Paris) called Hoke's Hope.

OneForTheToe
06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know off hand how long Casey Hampton is signed? If my poor memory serves, his contract runs through 2009.

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
:sofunny:

He also started a half way home for young troubled celebrity girls (i.e. Brittney, Lindsey and Paris) called Hoke's Hope.i hear that before he dines at a restraunt, he valet parks for all other patrons for atleast 30 minutes. who cares what he can do on the field! sign him for his "niceties" :chuckle:

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I heard different.

You walk into the gents at his favorite club, at the wrong time, and you might find him doing a line of Hokey Cokey.

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I heard different.

You walk into the gents at his favorite club, at the wrong time, and you might find him doing a line of Hokey Cokey.its so funny how even our players who forgo being drafted, a year or 2 of earning potential and possibly millions of dollars, because of loyalty to a team, and going on a chrisian mission overseas, can be painted as bad guys who are c)cky and arrogant. :dang:

i dont get it. we have a guy who skips on an autograph show and suddenly he has the character of a randy moss or terrell owens and is labeled as more of an ******* than bill belichick...

i know in baseball there is the aneheim angels. perhaps the steelers should lobby for a namechange.

SteelShooter
06-24-2007, 12:07 AM
O U T S T A N D I N G ! ! !

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 11:51 AM
he is a great and solid player and i have confidence in him if we ever need him to back his D up and kick some ass!:)

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 01:20 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/77651/

Hoke signs contract extension
Thursday, June 21, 2007
PITTSBURGH ? Steelers veteran defensive tackle, Chris Hoke, signed a three-year contract extension through 2010, the team announced today. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Hoke, a seven-year veteran, has played in 45 games and made 11 starts with the Steelers after originally signing with the team as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Brigham Young in 2001.

Hoke enjoyed his best season in 2004 when he started 10 games at nose tackle for injured starter Casey Hampton. He finished that season with 27 tackles (20 solo) and two sacks while helping the Steelers lead the NFL in both rushing and total defense.