PDA

View Full Version : Should Willie remain the starter?

Rush58
09-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Parker 22 rushes 161 yards and 1 td. :grin:

Prosdo
09-11-2005, 03:35 PM
I say if he can keep this up I'd be for it. He played very well and had a great game.

Koopa
09-11-2005, 03:55 PM
i say yes, he proved that the bills game wasn't a one game wonder. and since we play the texans next week it'll be the same outcome. so i say he stays the starter until he proves he can't carry the load.

clevestinks
09-11-2005, 07:10 PM
To me this is a no brainer! Willie should start. Why?

Well for starter he is explosive. He hits the same holes that Bettis and Staley hit, but at least a full second faster. He is on top of the hole before it really develops. He is elusive, and super freaky fast. This kid is a player. I say let him play. He is so quick that it will be hard for someone to get a good lick on him, so this will help keep him healthy

Blitzburgh55
09-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Yes Wille should start and bettis as the backup

SteelR1
09-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I say let him start!! He has shown he can handle the job. I would certainly keep the BUS for goal line situations......

Come on Parker, KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Sometimes things happen, and when injuries strike, you cant take the hot hand off the field when the original starters get healthy.

If Willie continues to play well, Im all for him keeping the job.. BUT..

We cant forget that Jerome and Duce are important too, so we'll need all of them thruout the year to step up for us.

Prosdo
09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I would like to see a mixture of them all during games. Let Willie be the main guy, but get some nice runs with Bettis and Staley as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Thats the optimal situation and one that cowher is looking forward to Im sure. When you are down at first and inside the 5, bring in Jerome and let him be the man. Willie can be the starter and be spelled by Duce during the game.

Of course anything can happen but one thing is for sure, the Front office will want to look at giving Willie a nice fat extension and raise after this year if he continues to progress and play well.

TasmanianTroy271
09-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I say do Willie as starter, Staley as 3rd down back. and Bettis as Goal Line. I think that would be a very big threat, because you have the air, then 3 different kinds of backs to worry about.

Go Steelers!

*Sidenote: I flipped on the Ravens-Colts game, saw Kemoeatu on the line for the Ratbirds, and almost sh*t a bird. I was like NOOO THEY PICKED HIM OFF OUR SQUAD. Then I searched Yahoo News and saw it was another Kemoeatu... whew... :blurp:

BB2W
09-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Staley and Bettis likely will be ready next Sunday in Houston, but Cowher - for now - isn't going back to the two big backs who ran for more than 1,700 yards last season.

"He ran very well, and I see no reason to make a change right now," Cowher said.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Thats exactly right.. as I mentioned before and from past situations, you never take the hot hand off the field unless you have too.

Duce and Bettis will get carries, but as long as Willie keeps playing well, he's the man.

I would imagine Bettis will be more ready than Duce..but thats just a hunch..and if so whichever is healthiest will get the bulk of the short yardage carries most likely, IMO>

BB2W
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Parker was just voted ESPN's "Sunday Stud". He had 33% of 50,000+ votes. Tom Brady was in second....

Prosdo
09-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I just saw that. Way to go Willie! He definitely had an outstanding game!

figg
09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Wether we agree or not doesnt matter because Cowher is going to ride Willie as long as he's playing well and were winning. BTW I voted yes :grin:

SteelProven
09-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Willie should remain the starter and be relieve by Bettis or Staley. Haynes should remain our third down back. Willie brings big play ablility to our offense that we haven't seen well at least I haven't seen. So untill he's injured or attracts a fumblitis I would keep him as the starter. But honestly I think if Willie plays a entire season his body will advantually take a beating. The same way beens body took a beating. So I could actually see Staley or Bettis taking over for him more down the stretch, so this doesn't happen. IMO

Ambridge
09-12-2005, 07:33 AM
"He looked better than I thought he would," Cope said of Parker. "Steelers football may change with this kid. ... If (coach Bill) Cowher takes him out of the starting lineup, I'd be happy to show up at Heinz Field (Sept. 25, when the Steelers play host to the New England Patriots) and shoot him dead."

A quote from Myron Cope in an article in todays Trib-Review.
I agree whole heartedly.

:m16: Go Myron!!

Rush58
09-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Willie provides the Steelers with an explosive run attack now. We should see the safeties come down even more with Willie is in the backfield. That should leave our receivers one-on-one downfield.

Prosdo
09-12-2005, 09:08 AM
I couldn't see them taking him out. He answered almost all the questions they asked. He can gain short yardage and he can run between tackles. Can't wait to see what Willie does next week!

24seven
09-12-2005, 10:09 AM
For sure Willie should be the starter.. Man he was fun to watch. He was like a new girlfriend.. I just wanted to see him carry those balls over and over again! He's what Eric Pegram should have been but more. His explosion and sheer strength was to much for the titans to bare.. Did you see that stiff arm he put on that rosta man then tromp for like 50 yards!! OMG!! I was extatic that we finally have a running back with such speed. I knew he was gonna have a big game ever since Cower took him out after running that 30 yarder against Washington.. You could just tell he was gonna be somethin special.. Way to go Willie!! You deserve the starting spot hands down!!!

rowedf
09-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I think he played awesome, but, the Titans defenese looked HORRIBLE, they looked the Nashville Predators, they were not tackling, they were checking! I saw no wraps, all shoulders trying to knock people over.

pitt
09-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Willie should start the game, then when he has the defense tired out, send in the big backs to stomp them into defend.

Steel - X
09-12-2005, 10:41 AM
I think he played awesome, but, the Titans defenese looked HORRIBLE, they looked the Nashville Predators, they were not tackling, they were checking! I saw no wraps, all shoulders trying to knock people over.

Reading all the previous posts I read nothing about how bad the defense was. I selected maybe beacuse yes he looked good but the defense was down right miserable. I dont think Tennesse could have tackled me without pads with no offensive line in front of me. Granite I think he should get a couple more starts to prove it wasnt the defense. If he can play against a high quality defense and not the bad news Bears then I think he deserves the shot. Great game though!!

Koopa
09-12-2005, 11:54 AM
who cares how their defense played, a lot of the times the worst teams are the scariest teams because the good teams relax and think it's going to be a cake walk, i'm glad willie came out and focused and not took it easy cause they ain't the best. willie is going to have the same kind of game against the texans next week and then against whoever we play the next. willie should be the starter unless he proves he ain't ready to carry the load each and every week.

SteelerFanInATL
09-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Willie P. deserves to start. We all saw the potential in him last year, we saw how he ripped the Giants last year, and the Titan game proved he is not a flook. Let him be the primary, Staley and Haynes 3rd down backs, and roll out The Bus in goal line situations (As Needed). When Duce and Jerome are healthy at the end of the year, and take less of a pounding early on, that will give us an awsome rotation for the backfield. :dancing: :cya:

shevdog
09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
1-2-3 punch

What a nightmare for teams to plan for the Steelers running game. If a team finds a way to shutdown Big Ben, Bill will flip the switch to jam the ball down their throat.

I don't think it matters much who starts, as long as there is a threat for any of the top 3 running backs. I think it would be great to have Parker start more often, then have the Bus, plus Duce to show up to scare him on odd plays.

The idea of having Duce as the third down running back... I like it, yet Duce isn't. Man, I'm too hard on Duce.

BB2W
09-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Willie should start the game, then when he has the defense tired out, send in the big backs to stomp them into defend.

I agree... Use Willie until the third or fourth quarter to get a lead... then use Duce and Bettis to seal the game and minimize the hits that Parker has to take throughout the season.

clevestinks
09-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Reading all the previous posts I read nothing about how bad the defense was. I selected maybe beacuse yes he looked good but the defense was down right miserable. I dont think Tennesse could have tackled me without pads with no offensive line in front of me. Granite I think he should get a couple more starts to prove it wasnt the defense. If he can play against a high quality defense and not the bad news Bears then I think he deserves the shot. Great game though!!

I agree that the Titans defense does suck. But arent good teams suppose to expoit weaknesses of other teams and take advantage of them? If Willie and co. didnt play well, they everybody would have thought that the Titans had a descent defense. Regardless of how good or bad thier defense was. Willie kicked thier asses. He broke tackles, stiff armed db`s, and out ran everyone on the field. If those same tackles were broken by Staley or Bettis, they wouldnt have out ran the defenders like Willie did. Willie Parker hits the holes like he was shot out of a slingshot. One thing I noticed when we played the Redskins in preseason, was how fast and hard Clinton Portis hits the holes. The Bus had holes to hit but by the time he got to them, they were closing in. Imagine Willie with his speed hitting the same holes that Bettis and Staley get, linebackers would definitley have to change thier angles, if they were to take the same angle on Willie that they would on Staley, Parker would be 5 yards past the already. The Bus doesnt want to start anyway, he only want short yardage and goal line. Staley has never really taken over the spot since he has been here. He was given the spot, he didnt earn it. Even after injuries last year, everyone wanted Bettis to continue to start, not Staley. Should Staley sit, not all the time, but Willie needs to be on the field more, alot more, more than any other back we have.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2005, 09:13 PM
All the hype about norm chow and his quick strike, short drop, exploit your weakness offense..and we did ended exploiting the titans weakness, which is basically their entire defense!

STEELERDYNASTY
09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Talk about a no-brainer?!

Suitanim
09-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, for 3 reasons:

A) This wasn't a flash in the pan. He ripped the VERY good Buffalo Bills defense for 102 yards last year, and that was behind a largely second string offense in a game the Bills desperately needed to win.
B) He proved he can run between the tackles. That was the knock going in against him, and, whether or not the Titans defense is going to be good or not this year, they still have several good players who looked stupid trying to tackle Parker.
C) If he's durable and for real, every game he plays, every tackle he takes, makes the 1-2 punch of Bettis and Duce that much more dangerous later in the year. Imagine trying to game plan in January for a team that has 3 healthy RB's who each have the ability to take a game over, all in different ways?

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Wille on first and second downs. Duce in on third because he can also catch out of the backfield(when he's healthy) ,and The Bus on goaline. Personally I'm not to high on Haynes.

Suitanim
09-13-2005, 06:03 PM
I'd go one further than that...mix 'em up...run the backfield with 2 or 3 of them in there. The wishbone is legal. Why not?

Parker is speed, Bettis is power, and Duce lands right in the middle. Parker worked on his pass protection in the offseason. I think the more varied the roles these guys play the better.

Think about it...when you play Baltimore, you gameplan to shut down Jamal Lewis, and he's one player with his tendencies and idiosyncrasies and his things he can and cannot do. You shut Holmes down, you win...plain and simple.

Imagine trying to figure out a way to stop an offense with THREE different styled RB's, all of whom can beat you in different ways, capable receivers, 2 of which have played QB at the college level, a TE who can gain seperation and catch passes, and a QB who can pass from the pocket, on the run, and can also scramble for yards if need be.

If I was Ken Whisenhunt, I'd be chomping at the bit every week to get my plays on the field and executed. Add in a solid kicker, a good ST unit, and perhaps the leagues best defense, and what do you come up with?

A Super Bowl win. I said last year if we didn't go on and win the SB I'd be more disapointed than angry because all the elements were there...I think I was a year early...

Koopa
09-13-2005, 06:20 PM
good post except that holmes plays for the cheifs

Suitanim
09-13-2005, 06:27 PM
good post except that holmes plays for the cheifs

Yeah, thanks, I fixed that...if you play KC, you better gameplan for more than just a single RB!:redface:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
they still have several good players who looked stupid trying to tackle Parker.

something tells me if things keep going the way they are, there will ALOT of people doing that.. :grin:

BB2W
09-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Duce Staley took more extended snaps in the backfield in practice as he works his way back from Aug. 8 knee surgery. But he said even when he's healthy, the pecking order might have changed among him, Jerome Bettis and Parker.

"If he's out there running and doing what he's doing and putting up great numbers and we're winning, without a doubt, leave him in there," Staley said of Parker.

"You have to understand, we went through the same thing last year. I was out there, I got hurt; Jerome went in and we didn't miss a beat. Here we go again: Willie comes in and we don't miss a beat."

link...... http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05258/571803.stm

Koopa
09-14-2005, 11:22 PM
damn this is why i love this team, we ain't got to many egos on it. i'm glad duce is getting better cause i think we gonna need him when we play the pats. hopefully parker will start against them but it would be nice to switch him with duce and let them share the carries

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Credit the Steelers FO and coaching staff for constantly bringing in players who can step right in and contribute so we dont miss a beat. Staley seems to have a good attitude about it but you can bet your last dollar he's chompin at the bit to get back onto the field!

Koopa
09-14-2005, 11:28 PM
and that's great that he's still gonna be hungry to start. that brings the best out in the players IMO

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Can you say MVP? Maybe even for the league. This guy is going to be incredible. Just when you thought he was going to get taken down. He made MF's look stupid. Scratch drafting a RB next draft. He just needs to add about 5-10 pounds.

Koopa
09-16-2005, 01:11 PM
hell he don't even need to add that, he's fine the way he is, he showed that he can break tackles and pick up short yardage. this years draft i say we look at a wr and o-linemen